SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:45 AM
SageTVaholic

OpenDCT 0.5.13-Beta

• The SageTV communication port will automatically increment for newly discovered capture devices if the default port is not available.
  • Increased timeout for HDHomeRun communications.
  • Improved responsiveness to re-opening the TCP communications with HDHomeRun devices.
  • Fixed support for any port if incremental port mode is enabled and no more ports left within the range.
  • Fixed parsing error in vstatus from HDHomeRun devices.
  • Removed dynamic disabling of direct buffer allocation of the circular buffer when it appears to be causing issues.
  • Reduced the aggressiveness of FFmpeg when repeating the detection of streams.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 11-01-2016, 07:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
I don't really have anything better to go on. I don't know if finicky is the right word. I suspect we would be seeing postings similar to yours a lot more often if that was the case. If anything you could say that the network support in Java can be fussy, but that's probably not accurate. I've seen the behavior you're experiencing on other computers from other users, but I have never seen it happen on my own network without the device being unplugged. A fair amount of effort was put into handling all of the usual problems you might run into on a less than perfect network. When OpenDCT says it can't communicate with the device for the 2nd time, it has already taken the entire connection down, ran detection to make sure the IP address has not changed and attempted to reestablish a connection.

I can't recall if I asked this of you already, but have you already tried just restarting the OpenDCT service when you see this issue instead of the entire computer?

Edit: I am working on some pieces of code specific to what you're experiencing and focused on where you're seeing problems.
I do appreciate the effort. Please don't take my comments as criticism, I know how much time and effort goes into these things. I am just trying to understand the issue to see if I can find a work-around. OpenDCT has saved me HOURS of time in remapping channels

I have not tried restarting OpenDCT while Sage is running. I did not think that was supported. After seeing the errors Sage reports the network encoders as "functioning=false". I thought the only way to recover from that was to reboot Sage and OpenDCT. I'll try just restarting OpenDCT.

I'll also try the latest version in the next few days.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:23 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

• The SageTV communication port will automatically increment for newly discovered capture devices if the default port is not available.
  • Increased timeout for HDHomeRun communications.
  • Improved responsiveness to re-opening the TCP communications with HDHomeRun devices.
  • Fixed support for any port if incremental port mode is enabled and no more ports left within the range.
  • Fixed parsing error in vstatus from HDHomeRun devices.
  • Removed dynamic disabling of direct buffer allocation of the circular buffer when it appears to be causing issues.
  • Reduced the aggressiveness of FFmpeg when repeating the detection of streams.
I am getting no Signal testing this release. logs attached. Fresh Install.
Attached Files
File Type: zip OpenDCT.zip (50.5 KB, 118 views)
Old 11-01-2016, 07:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
I am getting no Signal testing this release. logs attached. Fresh Install.
What OS, and what Java? Looks like it is running in a 64-bit JVM, with 32-bit opendct...

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 11-01-2016, 07:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
What OS, and what Java? Looks like it is running in a 64-bit JVM, with 32-bit opendct...
Java 7 is 32 Bit also have Java 8 64 bit Installed. Os is 64 Bit Windows 10 Pro.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Java 7 is 32 Bit also have Java 8 64 bit Installed. Os is 64 Bit Windows 10 Pro.
For whatever reason, it looks like it's finding your 64-bit java, and using that. You can probably install the 64-bit OpenDCT and it'll work just fine, or there are ways to edit a file to force it to the right JVM (see first post for info).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 11-01-2016, 08:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
For whatever reason, it looks like it's finding your 64-bit java, and using that. You can probably install the 64-bit OpenDCT and it'll work just fine, or there are ways to edit a file to force it to the right JVM (see first post for info).
I see what you mean this is what the wrappr config has. It is wrong for Java 7.

set.JAVA_HOME=c:/Program Files (x86)/Java/jre1.8.0_66

Edit I Installed the 64 bit OPendct and it worked ... I think this has to be looked at the 32 bit Should not belonging for the 64 bit Java.

Last edited by nyplayer; 11-01-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I see what you mean this is what the wrappr config has. It is wrong for Java 7.

set.JAVA_HOME=c:/Program Files (x86)/Java/jre1.8.0_66

Edit I Installed the 64 bit OPendct and it worked ... I think this has to be looked at the 32 bit Should not belonging for the 64 bit Java.
Unfortunately Java will put in the environment path whatever version regardless of architecture you have installed last. JSW from what I've seen isn't actually smart enough to work out the details and that's how it picked up the wrong architecture.

The example in the wrapper.conf is an example of what you can do to tell JSW to use a specific Java binary on your computer. The path in the example doesn't do anything unless you also uncomment wrapper.java.command further down in the same file.

Code:
# If you set this path, be sure to uncomment wrapper.java.command=%JAVA_HOME%/bin/java below.
set.JAVA_HOME=c:/Program Files/Java/jre1.8.0_66
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
I do appreciate the effort. Please don't take my comments as criticism, I know how much time and effort goes into these things. I am just trying to understand the issue to see if I can find a work-around. OpenDCT has saved me HOURS of time in remapping channels

I have not tried restarting OpenDCT while Sage is running. I did not think that was supported. After seeing the errors Sage reports the network encoders as "functioning=false". I thought the only way to recover from that was to reboot Sage and OpenDCT. I'll try just restarting OpenDCT.

I'll also try the latest version in the next few days.
No criticism taken. Your situation is a little complex and I'm having a hard time giving you the best advice. Also I can't really think of what I might add to the logging that will make the root cause of the problems clearer.

Old 11-05-2016, 08:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
If you don't want to upgrade the firmware, you'll want to just install the beta. If my assumption about the tuners is correct, the stable version will not be able to support your device in its current state.
It's been awhile, but I tried that without success. Here are the logs:
Attached Files
File Type: txt opendct.properties 11-5-2016.txt (7.1 KB, 122 views)
File Type: txt wrapper -11-5-2015.log.txt (43.8 KB, 105 views)
File Type: txt opendct.log 11-5-2016.txt (32.5 KB, 116 views)
Network: gB Lan
Playback: FireStick 4K miniclient
Tech Level: Hobbyist
Old 11-05-2016, 08:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb4 View Post
It's been awhile, but I tried that without success. Here are the logs:
That log confirmed my suspicion that actually none of your HDHomeRun devices are returning their tuner counts which according to the Silicondust code is considered a bug in the device firmware. Are you running any firewall other than the one that comes with Windows? I can see your firmware is very old (20120405). So, I also really recommend that you upgrade the firmware or you will likely have other issues too.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:10 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
That log confirmed my suspicion that actually none of your HDHomeRun devices are returning their tuner counts which according to the Silicondust code is considered a bug in the device firmware. Are you running any firewall other than the one that comes with Windows? I can see your firmware is very old (20120405). So, I also really recommend that you upgrade the firmware or you will likely have other issues too.
No other firewall. I'm running the old firmware because it was working fine until last week using SageDCT.

I learned from JustFred after posting about no video that Comcast changes to H.264 hosed the old Prime firmware so I bit the bullet and updated the firmware and installed the OpenDCT beta software and guess what!

I'm back in business!

Thank you for developing the OpenDCT software and all the work you do for SageTV. There is no substitute!

Is there any reason why I should go back and install the stable version of OpenDCT?
Network: gB Lan
Playback: FireStick 4K miniclient
Tech Level: Hobbyist
Old 11-06-2016, 08:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb4 View Post
No other firewall. I'm running the old firmware because it was working fine until last week using SageDCT.

I learned from JustFred after posting about no video that Comcast changes to H.264 hosed the old Prime firmware so I bit the bullet and updated the firmware and installed the OpenDCT beta software and guess what!

I'm back in business!

Thank you for developing the OpenDCT software and all the work you do for SageTV. There is no substitute!

Is there any reason why I should go back and install the stable version of OpenDCT?
Thank you. I really do enjoy working on these projects.

Good to see the firmware got you working. When I noticed how old the firmware you were running was, it was definitely a red flag.

If the beta is working for you, I would leave it alone. The last stable is missing several new features present in the current beta that you might one day decide you would like to mess around with. The only advantage that you get with the stable release (implicitly) is that the code is more tried and tested.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:07 AM
Sage User

I'm considering moving from SageDCT to OpenDCT for currency and the fact that some channels on my Prime intermittently refuse to tune within Sage even though the HDHomeRunPrime logs show subscribed & tuning. They also play in HDHomeRun View. It's intermittent which is a real pain.

Can someone tell me how OpenDCT compares in terms of memory and stability? I'm on Sage 7.1.9, Java 7 32-bit, Win7 32-bit, Sage server & Prime-CC3 running on the same GBit Switch.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:42 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateziemann View Post
Can someone tell me how OpenDCT compares in terms of memory and stability? I'm on Sage 7.1.9, Java 7 32-bit, Win7 32-bit, Sage server & Prime-CC3 running on the same GBit Switch.
Nateziemann,

I installed OpenDCT a week ago with SageTV V9 and wow! For me TV tuning, recording and playback have all been silky smooth. There have been no glitches, no restarting the OpenDCT service and no losing tuners. Memory wise, tuning 3 live TV streams at the same time uses 39% of 8GB total memory, not bad. IMO OpenDCT is the real deal, do give it a try.

System Specs:
Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2
SageTV V9
HDHomeRun Prime
OpenDCT
StableBit DrivePool
StableBit Scanner
18TB Storage (1 x 6TB, 6 x 2TB)
Old 11-10-2016, 04:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fescue View Post
Nateziemann,

I installed OpenDCT a week ago with SageTV V9 and wow! For me TV tuning, recording and playback have all been silky smooth. There have been no glitches, no restarting the OpenDCT service and no losing tuners. Memory wise, tuning 3 live TV streams at the same time uses 39% of 8GB total memory, not bad. IMO OpenDCT is the real deal, do give it a try.

System Specs:
Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2
SageTV V9
HDHomeRun Prime
OpenDCT
StableBit DrivePool
StableBit Scanner
18TB Storage (1 x 6TB, 6 x 2TB)
I have to assume you're talking about overall system-wide memory utilization and that the actual Java process is not consuming that much ram. Correct?

Old 11-10-2016, 06:13 PM
Sage User

Quote:
I have to assume you're talking about overall system-wide memory utilization and that the actual Java process is not consuming that much ram. Correct?
That's correct, EnterNoEscape, overall system RAM. I didn't specifically check the JAVA process.

BTW, OpenDCT is great. I had been meaning to try it for awhile but had to wait until I migrated away from WHS V1. Now I've got OpenDCT/SageTV 9 on WSE 2012 R2 and they are rock solid. Even Mrs. Fescue seems pleased.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
No criticism taken. Your situation is a little complex and I'm having a hard time giving you the best advice. Also I can't really think of what I might add to the logging that will make the root cause of the problems clearer.
I may jinx myself but since upgrading to the latest build I've had zero issues, even when I put OpenDCT under heavy load. Thanks!

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:36 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateziemann View Post
I'm considering moving from SageDCT to OpenDCT for currency and the fact that some channels on my Prime intermittently refuse to tune within Sage even though the HDHomeRunPrime logs show subscribed & tuning. They also play in HDHomeRun View. It's intermittent which is a real pain.

I have almost the same setup as you (2 Primes) and was forced to upgrade almost 3 months ago because of a problem with SageDCT. With SageDCT, I had trouble recording more 4 streams at a time. OpenDCT handles 6 with no problems. Performance is so much better with OpenDCT.

I also need to recognize the rapid response and super support from EnterNoEscape and others when I ran into problems.

Go for it.
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 11-12-2016, 03:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Where is the OpenDCT logfile on linux systems? I'm having difficulties getting it to work on my development system. Are there linux instructions someplace?