SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:35 PM
SageTVaholic

You're right. I think I know what happened. It needs to be fixed in the code.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 03-05-2016, 07:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
You're right. I think I know what happened. It needs to be fixed in the code.
Ok PM me when you want me to test no hurry ... running on test system.

Fixed works fine.

Last edited by nyplayer; 03-05-2016 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

EnterNoEscape, If you didn't see it, mikejaner found that the init scripts were not updating / running correctly so that opendct was not auto starting at boot via the .deb install. He shared the below command (also linked below)

Code:
update-rc.d -f opendct defaults
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...8&postcount=20
Old 03-07-2016, 10:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks! It's easy to add and I tested it as working, so it will be in the next beta release.

I also added this to the uninstall script:
Code:
update-rc.d -f opendct remove
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Last edited by EnterNoEscape; 03-07-2016 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:49 AM
SageTVaholic

OpenDCT 0.3.18-Stable

This update only addresses some scripting issues discovered on Ubuntu. It does not change anything for Windows.
  • Ubuntu init.d script was not running on startup for everyone. The install script now runs 'update-rc.d -f opendct defaults'. The uninstall script runs 'update-rc.d -f opendct remove'. Thanks mikejaner.
  • Addressed runlevels warning message when enabling the Ubuntu init.d script.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:19 PM
SageTVaholic

In the next release I would like people to migrate over to the newer HDHomeRun capture device implementation and discovery method. I can fully automate this transition in the next version by making some changes to opendct.properties programmatically on first run. Of course a backup will be made before the changes are done.

I wanted to see if anyone has any objections about this being done for them or if they would rather have this done only in the default configuration for new installs.

Also due to the comments in the Sage 9 Web UI thread about using NanoHTTPD instead of Jetty, Java 1.8 may not be a requirement for yet to be released web interface. I was just going with what I figured would be the logical next step for SageTV. Earlier today I was playing around with NanoHTTPD and I think it's much more in line with the actual needs of OpenDCT and a lot lighter than the latest Jetty. I'll need to work with it a little more, but so far it looks very promising.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:15 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
.....I wanted to see if anyone has any objections about this being done for them or if they would rather have this done only in the default configuration for new installs......
I always save copies of my OpenDTC folders and software, uninstall older version, delete old folders and then run fresh install of new version creating new folders etc.

So no objection here.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 03-08-2016, 10:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
In the next release I would like people to migrate over to the newer HDHomeRun capture device implementation and discovery method. I can fully automate this transition in the next version by making some changes to opendct.properties programmatically on first run. Of course a backup will be made before the changes are done.

I wanted to see if anyone has any objections about this being done for them or if they would rather have this done only in the default configuration for new installs.

Also due to the comments in the Sage 9 Web UI thread about using NanoHTTPD instead of Jetty, Java 1.8 may not be a requirement for yet to be released web interface. I was just going with what I figured would be the logical next step for SageTV. Earlier today I was playing around with NanoHTTPD and I think it's much more in line with the actual needs of OpenDCT and a lot lighter than the latest Jetty. I'll need to work with it a little more, but so far it looks very promising.
No objections.

So far everything you've done has demonstrated strong programming and SageTV knowledge, so I'm confident in letting you tell us what you think will work best. Since you are still in Beta, I think it would be better for you to set defaults based on what you think would work best for most, rather than trying to maintain compatibility with those already using OpenDCT. I can adapt as needed.

I'm currently using 0.4.28 and it is ROCK SOLID (no issues at all), so I'm comfortable that if you screw something up I can always go back to 0.4.28 and be happy.

But I am a habitual and compulsive early adopter, so if you release something else I will certainly try it.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit, i5-2500K, 8GB RAM, 2TB and 4TB SATA HDD's
SageTV v9.1.2.662, SageTV7.xml STV, Java v1.8.0_121
Server operating headless with 3 HD300 extenders as clients
Two HDHomeRun Primes (6 tuners) with 20170512beta1 firmware
Comcast cable TV, two cablecards in HDHRP's
OpenDCT 0.5.28 network encoder
Old 03-09-2016, 05:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsouthard View Post
But I am a habitual and compulsive early adopter, so if you release something else I will certainly try it.
I can relate to that.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:42 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:

What ever makes it easier for me...I'm all full.
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2
Old 03-09-2016, 10:19 AM
Sage Aficionado

No objections here, either. I'm happy (and still amazed) that it works.

Capture Devices: HDHomerunXTEND, HDHomerunPrime
Old 03-09-2016, 12:37 PM
Sage User

Quote:

I'm willing to bite as well. Just know that I am still on v0.3.16 with great success. The only concern I ever have is with the Channel Lineups getting messed up due to all of the custom changes I have made. At this point I haven't typically backed up anything before using OpenDCT for updates. I am only running 2 HDHomeRun Prime units using CableCards, but I do have an HDHRDual for ATSC that I haven't integrated in years still on the network that could be discovered but I don't have in SageTV. I don't know if this an interesting upgrade scenario for you but that's what I have.....

-Travis
Old 03-09-2016, 01:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Go for it has been working great.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

I say go for it also, I have been using 4.28 since it came out and is running great. The way you've been working I thought you would of had it released already. Thanks for all your work on this.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:40 PM
SageTVaholic

OpenDCT 0.4.34-Beta

The last release on this thread was 0.4.28, so these notes will get everyone completely up to speed. There are some more minor notes that I'm going to skip over. If you're interested, the most complete change log is always on GitHub.

CONFIGURATION UPGRADE: The first time you run this version, it will upgrade your current configuration. What this means is a few properties in opendct.properties will be removed and some properties will be modified so that you are using the best configuration. The HDHomeRun Prime will be switched to being discovered via its native discovery protocol. This upgrade will only happen once. The new configuration is not fully compatible with OpenDCT versions earlier than 0.4.30. As of 0.4.25 the properties are backed up on upgrade, so if this upgrade breaks anything for you and you did not make a copy of your old configuration, you should have a file named opendct.properties.0.4.xx-x containing your old configuration that you can use to undo the changes.

Configuration changes:
  • The following properties no longer do anything, will confuse people and will be removed:
    hdhr.always_force_lockkey
    sagetv.device.parent.<parent_id>.consumer
    sagetv.device.parent.<parent_id>.channel_scan_consumer
  • 'schemas-dkeystone-com' will be removed from 'upnp.new.device.schema_filter_strings_csv'
  • 'HDHR3-CC' will be removed from 'hdhr.exp_ignore_models'
  • 'discovery.exp_enabled' will be set to 'true'
  • Now all HDHomeRun devices available on the network will be discovered and monitored by OpenDCT by default.

General improvements:
  • The FFmpeg read/write transfer buffer size (consumer.ffmpeg.rw_buffer_size) is now 262144 bytes by default with a minimum size of 65536.
  • The consumer (MPEG-TS processing and streaming) is now set per capture device. After running OpenDCT for about 30 seconds and then stopping it. Change sagetv.device.<unique_id>.consumer to opendct.consumer.FFmpegTransSageTVConsumerImpl on the capture devices that you want to use the new software transcoding feature for that capture device.
  • HDHomeRun ongoing discovery only sends one packet per interval after the first 3 in a row. This helps prevent UDP traffic from being dropped because of all of the responses.
  • Changed periodic recording flushing to disk so it only happens if it looks like the file isn't growing.
  • Changed automatic lineup creation for ATSC HDHomeRun capture devices so they create a new lineup per parent device instead of per tuning type. Automatic pooling also separates ATSC capture devices by parent device. This is required because some people have completely different lineups between their devices of the same type.
  • Added HDHomeRun QAM HTTP streaming. HDHomeRun ClearQAM tuning maps to arbitrary virtual channels starting at 5000 that could change between channel scans. Since we can't reliably tell what we are going to get, we need to scan every single virtual channel until we find the one with the frequency and program we are looking for. OpenDCT updates the lineup with everything it discovers along the way, so we can reduce the possibility of needing to scan again in the future. It is safe to run a new scan on the capture device itself since OpenDCT always verifies that the frequency and program have not changed before it uses the URL associated with the virtual channel.
  • Added feature that can make 720p content more compatible with H.264 decoders that do not play nicely with out of order presentation time stamps. Set consumer.ffmpeg.h264_pts_hack to true in opendct.properties to enable the compatibility hack. This feature only works when using FFmpegTransSageTVConsumer. If it just makes things worse, don't forget that this is a hack and positively not the right way to remove frames which is why it's not enabled by default.
  • Audio and video stream metadata such as language is now copied when available into the FFmpeg output stream when using FFmpegTransSageTVConsumer.
  • ATSC HDHomeRun support is now a fully supported configuration. It is no longer experimental.
  • The channel map can now be set for HDHomeRun devices via the property sagetv.device.parent.<parent_id>.channel_map if desired. Leave this property blank if you do not want OpenDCT to change your channel map for you. This is mostly a convenience for legacy devices. Valid values right now are us-cable and usbcast. This setting has no effect on CableCARD devices.
  • HDHomeRun discovery port can be set to a specific port by changing the property hdhr.broadcast_port. If the value is less than 1024, the port will be chosen automatically. The default is 64998. The static port makes it easier to do port-based firewall rules.
  • Ubuntu init.d script was not running on startup for everyone. The install script now runs 'update-rc.d -f opendct defaults'. The uninstall script runs 'update-rc.d -f opendct remove'. Thanks mikejaner.
  • Addressed runlevels warning message when enabling the Ubuntu init.d script.

Software Transcoding:
  • Software transcoding is now available as an experimental feature. Change sagetv.device.<unique_id>.consumer to opendct.consumer.FFmpegTransSageTVConsumerImpl to enable it. The transcoding profiles are per capture device and are not set by default. When no transcoding profile is set (the default), the stream is only remuxed.
  • Set the software transcoding profile by changing sagetv.device.<unique_id>.transcode_profile to one of the available profiles are stored under C:\ProgramData\OpenDCT\config\transcode on Windows and /etc/opendct/conf/transcode on Linux. See profile_example.properties for help on how you can create your own. Do not include the .properties extension when setting the profile.
  • Software transcoding will limit by weight the number of live transcodes at one time. The value of consumer.ffmpeg.transcode_limit is by default your ((total CPU core count) - 1) * 2. In all packaged profiles content that does not have a height of 480 has a weight of 2. This might need to be adjusted on computers with HyperThreading enabled.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Is it Possible that a future release of OPENDCT be able to extract CC from H.264 recordings? Right now CC does not work in SageTV on recordings that contain H.264.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Is it Possible that a future release of OPENDCT be able to extract CC from H.264 recordings? Right now CC does not work in SageTV on recordings that contain H.264.
It's on the roadmap. Have you tried CCExtractor to create .srt files? I understand that it can be run on live TV.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:25 PM
Sage Icon

Up and running on my Sage 7 Win 7 machine. Seems to be working just fine. I'll report any issues.

I did a clean install and left properties at default settings for now.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 03-09-2016, 04:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
It's on the roadmap. Have you tried CCExtractor to create .srt files? I understand that it can be run on live TV.
I will try it out.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:24 PM
Sage Icon

I did get a halt error tonight with the new release. (I had been running 4.28 for 10 days or so with no halts)

Logs are attached. I'll report if it happens again.
Attached Files
File Type: txt sagetv_0.txt (567.0 KB, 127 views)
File Type: txt opendct.log.txt (53.1 KB, 123 views)