SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:03 AM
Sage Advanced User

Yes -- its the 32bit version of OpenDCT and I have Java 8. I am beginning to think it's a flag other than 'copy freely' - although it's not full DRM per the HDPrime scan. I had a problem getting clear QAM channels (broadcast networks) through a HDHR tuner and Sage a few months ago and went to full OTA with the quad tuner. It works great but I am left wondering what happened? could be my cable company Optimum changed Sage compatibility in some way. As I understand it - it's possible to not be listed as DRM and still have a flag the won't allow Sage to run? I can scan channels fine and everything seems ok but no video in preview and 'no signal' tuned from the guide. ????
Old 02-08-2021, 11:13 AM
Sage Aficionado

Did you think about trying next PVR and seeing if it can record and play back. If it can then its OpenDCT If not then it probably CC flags like you are thinking
Old 02-08-2021, 11:52 AM
Sage Aficionado

I think you can see what the flags are for each channel on the HDHR device web page.

If certain flags are set, OpenDCT should send it own message to SageTV (it's a grey screen with a message in it) rather than just the "no signal" message.

The only constant in the Universe is change.
Old 02-08-2021, 12:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Great suggestions folks - I tried one my OTA tuners that was on the DCT and it behaved the same way as the Prime - hence it CAN NOT be DRM flags. So it's something else with the way that Sage connects to DCT for playback. IS there a video renderer that I am missing? I am using the latest version of Sage of course but perhaps theres a plugin? getting close!
Old 02-08-2021, 03:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGsell View Post
Great suggestions folks - I tried one my OTA tuners that was on the DCT and it behaved the same way as the Prime - hence it CAN NOT be DRM flags. So it's something else with the way that Sage connects to DCT for playback. IS there a video renderer that I am missing? I am using the latest version of Sage of course but perhaps theres a plugin? getting close!
If your server is on Windows did you set the Firewall.. to allow wrapper.exe and Java. If server is on windows try with the firewall off.
Old 02-08-2021, 04:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

I just tried that and even ran the Console setup for DCT with the firewall completely disconnected and didnt work. Is there a way to troubleshoot the Console setup for DCT or basically if the service starts and loads the tuners that means it worked ok? The console doesnt seem to run to completion - is there a final line I should be seeing that confirms it installed and ran properly? thanks
Old 02-08-2021, 04:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I just tried that and even ran the Console setup for DCT with the firewall completely disconnected and didnt work. Is there a way to troubleshoot the Console setup for DCT or basically if the service starts and loads the tuners that means it worked ok? The console doesnt seem to run to completion - is there a final line I should be seeing that confirms it installed and ran properly? thanks
There is no final confirmation, at least none that I've ever seen. I've just let it run past the channel line up and a few min after.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:04 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Great suggestions folks - I tried one my OTA tuners that was on the DCT and it behaved the same way as the Prime - hence it CAN NOT be DRM flags. So it's something else with the way that Sage connects to DCT for playback.
Have a look at the HDHR setup instructions here: https://sagetv.fandom.com/wiki/Appen...p_Instructions
System #1: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HDHR-US (1st gen white) tuners. HD-200.
System #2: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java 1.8.0_131. Sage v9.1.6.747. ClearQAM: 2x HDHR3-US tuners. HD-200.
System #3: Win7-64, I7-920, 12 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HVR2250; Spectrum Cable via HDPVR & USB-UIRT. 3x HD-200.

Last edited by JustFred; 02-09-2021 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:16 AM
Sage Advanced User

Smile Issue resolved!

I uninstalled 32bit DCT and installed 64bit and it runs perfectly. I can finally say great work developers! and thanks to all who chimed in to help. I am running 64bit Win10 but 99% sure I am running 32bit Sage since the application is in the x86 folder. (correct??!!) If I am wrong I will be really embarrassed but someone else might also have made that mistake. If I am correct does that mean you need the 64bit DCT to match the OS?
Old 02-09-2021, 09:31 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I uninstalled 32bit DCT and installed 64bit and it runs perfectly. I can finally say great work developers! and thanks to all who chimed in to help. I am running 64bit Win10 but 99% sure I am running 32bit Sage since the application is in the x86 folder. (correct??!!) If I am wrong I will be really embarrassed but someone else might also have made that mistake. If I am correct does that mean you need the 64bit DCT to match the OS?
You just need to match the Java Version. 32 Bit DCT 32 Bit Java.
Old 02-09-2021, 03:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for clarifying.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

Download location after Bintray is decommissioned?

Hi,

I am wondering if you have made plans to relocate Download server for OpenDCT after Bintray is removed as an option in May 2021?

https://jfrog.com/blog/into-the-suns...d-chartcenter/

Last edited by Galaxysurfer; 04-11-2021 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:46 PM
Sage Aficionado

Very basic info?

Is there anywhere an introductory post that says what OpenDCT does - what functionality does it provide that one wouldn't have otherwise?
Server: Windows 8.1 4gb RAM; 4TB SATA + others. Homebrew quad core AMD. Inputs: Haup. 980, 850 & 950Q on ATSC; Haup 1600 on ATSC & Comcast 2 DTAs with USBUIRT for NTSC. Haup 1800 on ATSC. HDHR Dual (ATSC). Sage 9.22 64 bit.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:49 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thumbs up Adding a HDHomeRun Prime 3 tuner, network Tuner

See attached pdf file for full instructions I used.

Adding a HDHomeRun Prime 3 tuner, network Tuner
Found here: https://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-prime/
Compare Silicon Dust products: https://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/
Silicon Dust Trouble-shooting site: https://www.silicondust.com/support/troubleshooting/
My Equipment:
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit Build: 18363
SageTV Version: 9.21.1.826 (32-bit)
Java Version: 1.8.0_172 (32-bit)
Network Tuners: 2x HDHomeRun Prime (CableCard) = 6 Tuners
Cable service: Spectrum, TV package: Select
I Downloaded HDHomeRun software here: https://download.silicondust.com/hdh...un_windows.exe
This will install HDHomeRun software to include hdhomerun_setup.exe that is used to find and setup the cable card on the HDHomeRun Prime 3 tuner, network Tuner.
If this is run on Windows 10 it will open the Microsoft app store to install the HDHomeRun viewer software.
After installing the HDHomeRun software you can find the HDHomeRun setup in the start menu.

Credits:
For the success of having the ability to add the HDHomeRun Prime 3 tuner,
network Tuner to SageTV, because this isn’t shown on Silicon Dust website as being compatible.

SageTV user: EnterNoEscape,
https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62774
Thank you for your OpenDCT program and the time for creating this for others, I greatly appreciate this program.

SageTV user: Daweeze
https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...&postcount=175
For listing the steps, you took to get OpenDCT working on your system.

Thank you so much, for this program and these instructions, I was able to get my HDHomeRun Prime 3 tuners working in my SageTV.
Thanks again
Scat
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Adding a HDHomeRun Prime 3 tuner.pdf (319.0 KB, 164 views)

Server: Intel i7-930 CPU @ 2.8GHz , 300GB HD, 24GB DDR3, Win 10 64-bit, (2) 2TB HD for recording
Capture Devices: 2xHD Homerun Prime 3 (CableCard) = 6 Tuners (Spectrum, TV package: Select), 1xHauppauge WinTv 885 (4 tuners OTA), 1xHauppauge WinTv-7164 (2 tuners OTA), Schedules Direct EPG
NAS: Synology DS1618+ 26.2TB Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR)
Sage Add-ons: Comskip Plug-in
Eventghost 0.5.0-RC4, Java Version: 1.8.0_172 (32-bit), Harmony 880, USB-UIRT

Last edited by scat; 04-18-2021 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Added proper link for Silicon Dust Trouble-shooting site, the link in the pdf was wrong
Old 04-15-2021, 05:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCRUser View Post
Is there anywhere an introductory post that says what OpenDCT does - what functionality does it provide that one wouldn't have otherwise?
If you were looking for "very basic info," OpenDCT gives SageTV the ability to use a cablecard with the SageTV server software. It is software that runs independently from Sage, but presents the cablecard tuners (like HDHR Prime and Ceton Infinitv tuners) to SageTV Server in a usable way that wasn't readily available previously.

It's worth noting if your cable TV provider locks most stations down with copy protection (copy-once flags), then this method is not usable for those channels.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yes, thanks. That does tell me what I needed to know. I'd seen OpenDCT mentioned in other contexts (FHDHR, for example, and since I don't have a cablecard, I wasn't familiar with it and didn't know whether it made sense to try to delve into it.
Server: Windows 8.1 4gb RAM; 4TB SATA + others. Homebrew quad core AMD. Inputs: Haup. 980, 850 & 950Q on ATSC; Haup 1600 on ATSC & Comcast 2 DTAs with USBUIRT for NTSC. Haup 1800 on ATSC. HDHR Dual (ATSC). Sage 9.22 64 bit.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yes, thanks. That does tell me what I needed to know. I'd seen OpenDCT mentioned in other contexts (FHDHR, for example, and since I don't have a cablecard, I wasn't familiar with it and didn't know whether it made sense to try to delve into it.
It also works with the HDHomeRun connects ... I use it for all my HDHomeRun tuners except the very old ones.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:36 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
The DCT part stands for digital cable tuner, since it was originally written specifically to support cable card tuners. However, the program was written in a very flexible/configurable way so it can support other things too. People have used it successfully with other network-connected capture devices that don’t have cable cards. It has also been used to capture from certain IPTV sources.

OpenDCT implements the SageTV network tuner protocol. So it can be installed on the same pc as Sage, or anywhere else on the local network. It appears to Sage like another tuner. So when Sage wants to record something it talks to OpenDCT, and OpenDCT translates the request to a format that the unsupported tuner can accept and reports status back to Sage.

OpenDCT also has some extra logic to perform some nice functions that Sage doesn’t handle natively, such as tuner pooling and sharing with other programs.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 04-16-2021, 11:50 AM
SageTVaholic

To add to this - you can also use OpenDCT with streams from HDHR OTA tuners. But it has never been clear to me why you would want to do this rather than use them directly which I have done for over a decade.

There is also a variation on this (OpenDCT Generic HTTP Capture Device) that let's you capture other types of network video streams, such as an IP camera or even your PC screen, and capture these in SageTV. This would also work with HDMI encoders (BM1000,URay) which would be a way to be able to capture 4k cable/sat output.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
To add to this - you can also use OpenDCT with streams from HDHR OTA tuners. But it has never been clear to me why you would want to do this rather than use them directly which I have done for over a decade.

There is also a variation on this (OpenDCT Generic HTTP Capture Device) that let's you capture other types of network video streams, such as an IP camera or even your PC screen, and capture these in SageTV. This would also work with HDMI encoders (BM1000,URay) which would be a way to be able to capture 4k cable/sat output.
I can answer why you would want to use OPENDCT with HDHR Ota tuners is pooling. Where OPENDCT will check if a tuner is in use by another APP and if it is in use will move on to next available tuner. Without OPENDCT if sagetv tries to use a tuner in use it will just fail and not try another.