SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

OK. Really appreciate any help. Like I said earlier, my old machine (Win 7 server) has all 6 tuners running under the 1.0.1 Beta. So this would not appear to be a hardware issue. It has to be something with Win 10 or the latest version of PrimeNetEncoder--or more likely my set up somewhere.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by civerson4 View Post
OK. Really appreciate any help. Like I said earlier, my old machine (Win 7 server) has all 6 tuners running under the 1.0.1 Beta. So this would not appear to be a hardware issue. It has to be something with Win 10 or the latest version of PrimeNetEncoder--or more likely my set up somewhere.
I think it is the primenetencoder or Version 9 of SageTV as I usually do not watch livetv on my clients but I did this morning at the top of the hour... when the show change happened it got stuck I had to retune the channel... I think in all the improvements and buffers etc... it has made the Primenetencoder slower. I might also have to go back to 1.0.1 even though I lose the locks.

Maybe I will try a release between 1.0.1 and 1.25 rc1.

Last edited by nyplayer; 11-22-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:04 AM
Sage Advanced User

OK. Thanks for the troubleshooting help. I am running Sage 7 (not v.9 if that matters)

What would I do to go back to 1.0.1? Just replace the executable java? Would I need to make any changes to the batch file?

I am not in a major rush to get this going as the old server is still working. If there is any testing I can help with, please let me know as the balance of the new Win 10 server seems operational under Sage. Though as you have probably surmised, I am certainly not a programmer, and only semi-knowledgable with windows and (though I can follow instructions in setting up programs ....usually).

Last edited by civerson4; 11-22-2015 at 11:05 AM. Reason: clarify Sage version
Old 11-22-2015, 11:16 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
OK. Thanks for the troubleshooting help. I am running Sage 7 (not v.9 if that matters)

What would I do to go back to 1.0.1? Just replace the executable java? Would I need to make any changes to the batch file?

I am not in a major rush to get this going as the old server is still working. If there is any testing I can help with, please let me know as the balance of the new Win 10 server seems operational under Sage. Though as you have probably surmised, I am certainly not a programmer, and only semi-knowledgable with windows and (though I can follow instructions in setting up programs ....usually).
I kinda wish I had not jumped on the SageTV9 bandwagon right away ...I am planning a way to go back to SageTV7.... by recreating the DB in Version 7.

Last edited by nyplayer; 11-22-2015 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Try Version 1.2.4 .. that is the one I backed off to and livetv and everything else works in Windows 10. You can use the same properties file. My clients no longer get stuck on Show change.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

1.2.4 appears to be working for me (Win 10, Sage 7, 6 HDHR Primes). I have 6 tuners running test recordings now, but no errors in the first 5 minutes.

Thank you so much for the assistance/help. The Sage community is really great--just wish I had the technical skills to contribute in a meaningful way. But happy to do any testing for anyone at anytime.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
I see you are on Comcast too are they in the process of going to H264 in your area?
Not that I know of, or at least we haven't received any notice. What would be the implications on HDHR Prime --> PNE --> SageTV?

Windows 10 Home 64-bit, i5-2500K, 8GB RAM, 2TB and 4TB SATA HDD's
SageTV v9.1.2.662, SageTV7.xml STV, Java v1.8.0_121
Server operating headless with 3 HD300 extenders as clients
Two HDHomeRun Primes (6 tuners) with 20170512beta1 firmware
Comcast cable TV, two cablecards in HDHRP's
OpenDCT 0.5.28 network encoder
Old 11-22-2015, 08:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsouthard View Post
Not that I know of, or at least we haven't received any notice. What would be the implications on HDHR Prime --> PNE --> SageTV?
I reverted back to 1.2.4 and that has helped with channel changes and a few other errors on my Win 10 machine. civerson4 also did and that fixed some of his problems.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:49 AM
Sage Icon

I received my HDHomerun Prime Wednesday Nov 23, 2015. Comcast delivered my M-Card and paired it on Thursday (turned out to be quick & easy).

I am using two PCs - One is my Win7-Sage7 Server - the other is my Win7 pc that runs Plex and PlayOn. Friday I installed PrimeNetEncoder VERSION 1.2.5 (RC1) on my PlexPlayon pc. I've been testing it out on my Win7-Sage7 server in console mode over the last few days and everything is working very well.

During the setup test period I was running the PNE from the included batch file manually by opening a command prompt - then cd into PNE folder - then executing the PNE batch file (java -XX:-UseBiasedLocking -XX:NewSize=50M -Xms128m -Xmx256m -jar PrimeNetEncoder.jar).

I am now done with testing and am ready to automate the encoder process at startup on my encoder pc (the PlexPlayon pc).

My question is: should I do it by (1) creating a shortcut to PNE.bat and moving the shortcut to the startup folder, (2) set it up as a scheduled task running PNE's java command with the parameters (ones in the PNE.bat file) or (3) set it up as a scheduled task running the PNE.bat file. What works best?
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT

Last edited by HelenWeathers; 11-23-2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Make sure the batch file includes a CD into the proper directory, and then make a scheduled task that runs on system startup (not user logon) that points to the batch file. There is a post somewhere in this thread about exporting the task, modifying the file to increase the priority of the task, and then reimporting it into scheduled tasks. This will ensure the task is run at 'normal' priority, as by default, scheduled tasks are run at background priority.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 11-23-2015, 06:13 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks, Fuzzy. I'll go back thru this thread and look for the post.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 11-26-2015, 10:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

.ts file doesn't grow

Thanks for developing this!

I'm having a problem, I'm almost there.

I have Ubuntu 64 bit installed, actually it is Mint Mate 17.2, anyway, I have gone through the steps of setting up PNE. There obviously are some differences in setting it up an Linux, path to ffmpeg, path to hdhomerun_config and such. I can see and add the tuners created by PNE in Sage and when I try to use them I see the .ts file get created in /var/media/tv but it remains at a file size of zero, I would have thought it would grow somewhat the hdhomerun tunes the channel and the tuner indicator light lights up but the Sage client just shows 'No Signal". Any ideas where I should look for problem?
Old 11-27-2015, 07:03 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dranockcir View Post
Thanks for developing this!

I'm having a problem, I'm almost there.

I have Ubuntu 64 bit installed, actually it is Mint Mate 17.2, anyway, I have gone through the steps of setting up PNE. There obviously are some differences in setting it up an Linux, path to ffmpeg, path to hdhomerun_config and such. I can see and add the tuners created by PNE in Sage and when I try to use them I see the .ts file get created in /var/media/tv but it remains at a file size of zero, I would have thought it would grow somewhat the hdhomerun tunes the channel and the tuner indicator light lights up but the Sage client just shows 'No Signal". Any ideas where I should look for problem?
Can you post the log files and config file for PNE. That might help us diagnose.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvl711 View Post
Can you post the log files and config file for PNE. That might help us diagnose.
Absolutely and thanks for having a look!
Attached Files
File Type: txt PNE echologs.txt (4.7 KB, 101 views)
File Type: txt PrimeNetEncoder.properties.txt (1.3 KB, 102 views)
File Type: txt PrimeNetEncoder-tuner1.txt (6.0 KB, 102 views)
Old 11-27-2015, 08:32 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Absolutely and thanks for having a look!
Can you try Turing off transcoding and media server transfer just to simplify the config. I have not tested the real-time transcoding in a while. It is possible it is not working. Also if you do not have enough horse power to do the transcode in real-time ffmpeg will just quit.

Can you also verify the user that is running the PNE process has execute rights on the ffmpeg executable.

Let me know if this makes any difference.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:30 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Can you try Turing off transcoding and media server transfer just to simplify the config. I have not tested the real-time transcoding in a while. It is possible it is not working. Also if you do not have enough horse power to do the transcode in real-time ffmpeg will just quit.

Can you also verify the user that is running the PNE process has execute rights on the ffmpeg executable.

Let me know if this makes any difference.
Looks like same result. I've attached updated properties and echologs since change. When I check the permission of the .ts file that gets created in /var/media/tv it says it is owned by root.
Attached Files
File Type: txt PrimeNetEncoder.properties.txt (1.3 KB, 108 views)
File Type: txt PNE echologs.txt (4.3 KB, 104 views)
Old 11-27-2015, 03:05 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Looks like same result. I've attached updated properties and echologs since change. When I check the permission of the .ts file that gets created in /var/media/tv it says it is owned by root.
That could be an issue. I forget if sage or PNE creates the file. If sage is creating the file and is running as root, PNE might not have rights to modify the file.

Can the user that is running PNE modify the file manually? If not you may want to ask someone how to run sage as a different user.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
That could be an issue. I forget if sage or PNE creates the file. If sage is creating the file and is running as root, PNE might not have rights to modify the file.

Can the user that is running PNE modify the file manually? If not you may want to ask someone how to run sage as a different user.
If you are using MediaServer mode is enabled, SageTV should be the only process accessing the file (creating, writing, and reading). If MediaServer is disabled, it would be created and written to by PNE, and read by SageTV. This is one of the key advantages of the MediaServer method, is that permissions area all handled by SageTV together.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 11-28-2015, 07:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
1.2.4 appears to be working for me (Win 10, Sage 7, 6 HDHR Primes). I have 6 tuners running test recordings now, but no errors in the first 5 minutes.

Thank you so much for the assistance/help. The Sage community is really great--just wish I had the technical skills to contribute in a meaningful way. But happy to do any testing for anyone at anytime.
Looks like I jumped the gun on getting PrimeNet 1.2.4 to work on the new system. If I start recordings manually, all is fine. If there are multiple recordings scheduled to start at the same time, they all fail.

As I indicated in an earlier post, 1.01 is working great on my old (currently running) Sage Server. It has been rock solid for 5 months or so.

If I were to put 1.01 on the new server, what do I need to change? Just the Java file? Do I need to revise the PrimeNet Properties file since I think there are additional entries in the more recent versions (or will Sage/PrimeNetEncoder just ignore the inapplicable properties)? What about the batch file --will the current batch file parameters work with the older version? Since this is a new server build, would I better off just starting from scratch and reinstalling Sage completely?

I really am sorry I have had so much trouble this time around. I have no idea why--but really appreciate any guidance anyone can provide. Happy to post log files or config files if that will help with any further development (or anyone has any ideas as to what is wrong with my system).

Since this is a new server build, would I better off just starting from scratch and reinstalling Sage completely?
Old 11-28-2015, 07:36 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
If you are using MediaServer mode is enabled, SageTV should be the only process accessing the file (creating, writing, and reading). If MediaServer is disabled, it would be created and written to by PNE, and read by SageTV. This is one of the key advantages of the MediaServer method, is that permissions area all handled by SageTV together.
I have tried with mediaserver enabled and disabled. Looks like both ways the file is owned by root. Have to run sage with sudo, sagecore won't start if I don't so I ran PNE with sudo, still no luck. I do notice that when I use system monitor (like windows task manager) it shows a Java process that is being run by my user, if I kill it it closes PNE, that's strange since I started it with sudo, is it possible that PNE is starting something, after it starts, as the current user and that's what doesn't have permission?