SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:45 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
In my first post in this thread, I said my favorite thing was seeing all of the "old faces" coming back. My NEW favorite thing is all of Jeff's posts revealing "behind the scenes" info about stuff we've all wondered about for years. Heck, I don't even know anything about half of what he's talking about, but I still find it fascinating.
Agreed. It is also fun to be visiting the forum daily again. Exciting.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:27 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
The Raspberry Pi can't play Blu-ray bitrate video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchiso View Post
I'm sure you mean it cannot play maximum-bitrate Blu-Ray video. Can an HD-300? Where does the HD-300 max out? ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
I'm just going by the specs. For H.264 video the Pi and HD100 are good to Advanced Profile Level 4.0 whereas the HD200 and HD300 are good to Advanced Profile Level 4.1 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchiso View Post
Looks like the max bitrate of 4.1 is 2.5 times that of 4.0, so the difference is significant ...
In lieu of ripped Blu-Ray content I tested some of the files on this site for playability. I could not get the files to play via wifi adapter (from an NFS share), and did not try via ethernet, but they did play from a microSD card on Kodi, so they'd also play with omxplayer. The two files I tested were both listed as Level 4.1; the 25 Mbps and the 45 Mbps versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trk2 View Post
The content that Pi won't play is HD Audio. That would be a significant step back from the HD300. The Pi is simply not as capable as an HD300 ...
Point taken. I don't know anything about the audio on these files, but I'd use passthrough, so the video content would really be what tested the limits of the hardware ...
Old 03-18-2015, 05:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechling-burgh View Post
Point taken. I don't know anything about the audio on these files, but I'd use passthrough, so the video content would really be what tested the limits of the hardware ...
I think that's what we're talking about, the Pi can't bitstream HD audio.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:37 AM
Sage User

For me, the idea of the extenders being a true extension of the server GUI is what I love the most about SageTV along with how our TV Shows are all seamlessly together (PVRs and Downloads). If there was a way to either revive the HD300 hardware (it's awesome IMO) or maybe find another device that can do the same I'd be all over that.

Has anyone tried the new Rasberry Pi 2 ? It's a faster/newer Quad core ARM with more RAM and a few other improvements. I haven't look close enough, but maybe it fixes all the "subpar" concerns people have?
Old 03-18-2015, 07:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cron View Post
For me, the idea of the extenders being a true extension of the server GUI is what I love the most about SageTV along with how our TV Shows are all seamlessly together (PVRs and Downloads). If there was a way to either revive the HD300 hardware (it's awesome IMO) or maybe find another device that can do the same I'd be all over that.

Has anyone tried the new Rasberry Pi 2 ? It's a faster/newer Quad core ARM with more RAM and a few other improvements. I haven't look close enough, but maybe it fixes all the "subpar" concerns people have?
the Pi 2 is considerably faster and has twice the memory of the Pi 1 B+, UI's should be plenty snappy on it. I don't believe the actual format capabilities have changed, however, the massive increase in speed means that there is probably plenty of processor power to decode TrueHD and DTM-MA to 8 channel PCM, and output that (8 channel multichannel output IS supported).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 03-18-2015, 08:06 AM
SageTVaholic

However, to my knowledge, there's no open source DTS-HD MA decoder.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:08 AM
SageTVaholic

I don't personally get the obsession with the Rasberry idea....to me there are better options out there (although a bit more) but why not a chromebox with linux just running client software? To me the PI's from my trying suffer to much handling high bitrate videos.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Well in fairness, a Chromebox is 2-5x the price of a Pi, depending on what accessories you need to buy to make your Pi complete.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Well in fairness, a Chromebox is 2-5x the price of a Pi, depending on what accessories you need to buy to make your Pi complete.
That is exactly the reason. If the Pi can do it, why spend more?

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
To a degree a chromebox can be had for $170. The rasberry can get expensive like you said depending on how your dress it up. My issue it the issues I have had in past with PI playing videos smoothly.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
That is exactly the reason. If the Pi can do it, why spend more?
But it can't do it even as well as my hd300 did in the past (granted I haven't tried a v2). I had major stuttering and playback issues on the PI with high bit rate.

BTW oh how I have missed our friendly banters Fuzzy
Old 03-18-2015, 08:42 AM
SageTVaholic

I have a pi running Plex in my RV. The only 'accessory' I have for it is an HDMI cable, and a micro-USB cable. Not sure what else it would even need.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I have a pi running Plex in my RV. The only 'accessory' I have for it is an HDMI cable, and a micro-USB cable. Not sure what else it would even need.
Well I am referring to some of the case cost and memory cost depending on which way you go. It can be done cheap but it can also get kind of pricey
Old 03-18-2015, 08:48 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
I know the Raspberry Pi gets all the press, but there are better options out there. After you add WiFi, IR, S/PDIF a case and other things, the price is the same as the Cubox or Hummingboard, and those are better products anyway, especially since the Ethernet isn't tied to USB.

Seeing how us Sage folks don't mind spending $150 on an extender, I think we should concentrate on the better devices and not the lowest cost option.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
Well I am referring to some of the case cost and memory cost depending on which way you go. It can be done cheap but it can also get kind of pricey
Oh.. yeah, I've never purchased a case, the thing is just stuck to the back of the TV, and I just threw ResPlex on a junk SD card I had laying around.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Oh.. yeah, I've never purchased a case, the thing is just stuck to the back of the TV, and I just threw ResPlex on a junk SD card I had laying around.
LOL that's the way to do it but most want it enclosed. I agree with others there are better options for a little more money but to each their own
Old 03-18-2015, 08:55 AM
SageTVaholic

I certainly agree there is better media playback hardware out there, and I certianly won't be putting a Pi in my living room, where I'll probably always have a PC client - but in regards to getting the best market presence of SageTV clients, the Pi is likely the best first goal. It does well enough for 95% of the use cases out there, and is by far the cheapest.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:10 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
Seeing how us Sage folks don't mind spending $150 on an extender, I think we should concentrate on the better devices and not the lowest cost option.
If $150 is the price point, a Chromebox is about the best bet. That's what I've got OpenELEC running on. OK, so it was probably $170 total by the time I added a FLIRC to it.

Quote:
I certainly agree there is better media playback hardware out there, and I certianly won't be putting a Pi in my living room, where I'll probably always have a PC client - but in regards to getting the best market presence of SageTV clients, the Pi is likely the best first goal. It does well enough for 95% of the use cases out there, and is by far the cheapest.
I disagree with that, the Pi is way to techy. IMO the best first goal is an Android, Roku, iOS. That would get Sage Client immediately available on hardware that millions of people already have, and without them having to piece together a "kit" and figure out how to load an OS on it (assuming you can get it in the app/channel stores). And it may be easier than redoing the client/miniclient native code for ARM too.

Just think about it, if you can tell your friends all they have to do is load an app/channel, and then install SageTV on their PC, that gets to be a pretty easy recommendation. And would give a TV solution far better, and far cheaper than anything out there.

A second step would be an OpenELEC like linux distro with SageTV Server (and maybe later Client/placeshifter), then you'd have an almost ready-to-go server too, just plug in an HDHR and go.

Last edited by stanger89; 03-18-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:02 AM
Sage User

Well put, Stanger89. I don't mind fiddling with a server, a video card, and a connected cablebox but I want to merge broadcast TV and TV recordings to streaming channels on one contemporary, economical, easy to use, consumer device. In my case, I've gone with Rokus at each TV. It would also be nice just to install a SageTV app on my UHD LG smart TV. The new Plex app for LG tvs streams HD movies from the server beautifully, btw.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I think that's what we're talking about, the Pi can't bitstream HD audio.
Correct, this is the point I was trying to make. The Pi can't passthrough HD Audio.

Quote:
I certainly agree there is better media playback hardware out there, and I certianly won't be putting a Pi in my living room
It's nice to have Fuzzy back. Who else can advocate for the PI in a half dozen post and then turn around and say that it's not good enough to use in his living room?

In all seriousness, I think we're all saying that there should be a choice. We need a Pi type extender for applications where low cost is desired and where audio/video quality is not necessarily paramount. And we need a HD300+ type extender for the home theater applications where lesser audio/video quality is not acceptable.

Tags
open source