SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:42 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewg View Post
Well, if its one connection running bidirectionally, then the data segments carry the acks for the other direction, and you loose nothing.

If its 2 (or more) connections, things get much more complex, and you tend to loose more bandwidth than you'd expect because the acks from one connection can get queued behind the data for the other connection, so it introduces artificial delay due to the queuing overhead. With a lan, and a NIC & OS that supports multiple TX & RX queues, most of this goes away & you're left with just the loss due to the acks. With typical consumer h/w, everything uses single queues, and you have the extra queuing delays due to the entire path from app to app (and not just the link) being carried in a single queue.

Drew
exactly.........any thoughts on ping time being 1ms or less? what is your max tcp window size set to?
Old 09-14-2013, 08:58 PM
Sage User

Just downloaded this movie trailer @ peak 666 mbps:

http://pdl.warnerbros.com/wbmovies/g...AILER_5-2k.mov

Probably the highest I've gotten from a non-speedtest / google server yet.

« SpeedGuide.net TCP Analyzer Results »
Tested on: 2013.09.14 22:57
IP address: 192.200.xxx.xx
Client OS/browser: Windows 8 (Internet Explorer 10.0)

TCP options string: 020405b40103030801010402
MSS: 1460
MTU: 1500
TCP Window: 262144 (NOT multiple of MSS)
RWIN Scaling: 8 bits (2^8=256)
Unscaled RWIN : 1024
Recommended RWINs: 64240, 128480, 256960, 513920, 1027840
BDP limit (200ms): 10486kbps (1311KBytes/s)
BDP limit (500ms): 4194kbps (524KBytes/s)
MTU Discovery: ON
TTL: 113
Timestamps: OFF
SACKs: ON
IP ToS: 00000000 (0)
Old 09-15-2013, 06:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch View Post
Just odd that I can't watch for a service that I am paying for on any device I want.
There's nothing odd about that at all. That's normal. Try watching Dish/DirecTV or normal cable "on any device [you] want".
Old 09-21-2013, 08:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Well if anyone is in town and wants to bring their hd300 extender or sage client with them and try it out on the google fiber network, please let me know
Guess what twitch, I happen to have a spare HD300 that I am willing to loan to you to try this out. I live in the River Market district and am waiting for my install which could happen anytime from October through December.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Guess what twitch, I happen to have a spare HD300 that I am willing to loan to you to try this out. I live in the River Market district and am waiting for my install which could happen anytime from October through December.
Hi Brent,

Will PM you my contact info.

Do I need any additional software?

BTW, don't wait for google fiber to call you about the install. I called them soon after they had our street wired and had dropped off a line to the outside. Once that is done, the last step is a tech to come by and hook you up. Let me know if you have any questions about the install itself.

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2013, 05:52 AM
SageTVaholic

I've got an extra HD300 as well. PM me if you need it.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Hi Brent,

Will PM you my contact info.

Do I need any additional software?

BTW, don't wait for google fiber to call you about the install. I called them soon after they had our street wired and had dropped off a line to the outside. Once that is done, the last step is a tech to come by and hook you up. Let me know if you have any questions about the install itself.

Thanks!
I'll contact you via DM. I imagine you can just plug it in and see if it discovers the Google Fiber TV server. My guess is it won't and it would require some sort of "workaround" to make it work. But it will be interesting to see for sure.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:31 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
I've got an extra HD300 as well. PM me if you need it.
I plan to deliver it to him in person since I'm in town. Tom, do you or anyone else out there have any advice for testing? I could use some technical advice from anyone who understands that sort of thing better than me
Old 09-26-2013, 11:57 AM
SageTVaholic

I seriously doubt it will work without some modifications to the software on the server. It's easy enough to plug in and try but I'd be shocked if it worked. Why would Google ever allow a non-DRM device to connect to their DRM enabled server? I don't see it happening.

I am nowhere an expert on the subject so somebody more knowledgable cna chime in if I am all wrong.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:59 AM
SageTVaholic

I am not an expert at this stuff either but my guess is that assuming it doesn't work straight off, which is a pretty good guess, then you are going to need something like Wireshark to try to monitor your network traffic. But I don't know how you do that unless you somehow route network traffic from the HD300 to the Google Fiber box via a PC.

Thinking of similar things in the past (like VonageSniff which sniffs caller ID from your Vonage phone line) if you had a hub rather than a switch that might work. Or having two NICs in your PC and bridging them so that traffic flows through the PC. Or connect the HD300 to a PC or laptop via an ethernet cable and then use Wifi to connect back to Google Fiber and/or the rest of your LAN.

Does anyone rememeber any projects here were people were dealing with the communications between a SageTV server and clients and/or extenders? Any knowledge gleaned at that time could be useful in this instance to compare the traffic between SageTV7 and an HD300 and SageTV8 (aka Google Fiber) and an HD300.

Does anyone know much about the Google Fiber box. Are they hacakble? Here is a little bit of info: http://wikidevi.com/wiki/Google_Fibe...k_Box_(GFRG110)

p.s. KJake posted this on the VonageSniff thread so it seems like he knows something about monitoring network traffic.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:22 PM

So I'm on Google Fiber TV and I stumbled upon this thread/forum after I found out that the offering was based on SageTV. I've done a little bit of investigation and hacking around to try a few things out and have figured out a few things... like I did figure how to use the REST API to get the XML of my recorded content and then was able to figure out how to get the MPEG TS file as well. For unencrypted channels (local OTA channels) it worked fine and looked great but the encrypted (cable) channels were protected with DRM (Widevine I think, which makes sense since Widevine is Google's)

Anyway, I'll probably try installing Phoenix on my phone/tablet when I get back home and see if it works.

Otherwise, let me know if there's anything you want me to try and I'll do my best. I am new to SageTV but am a software engineer by trade so I enjoy hacking around.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I am not an expert at this stuff either but my guess is that assuming it doesn't work straight off, which is a pretty good guess, then you are going to need something like Wireshark to try to monitor your network traffic. But I don't know how you do that unless you somehow route network traffic from the HD300 to the Google Fiber box via a PC.

Thinking of similar things in the past (like VonageSniff which sniffs caller ID from your Vonage phone line) if you had a hub rather than a switch that might work. Or having two NICs in your PC and bridging them so that traffic flows through the PC. Or connect the HD300 to a PC or laptop via an ethernet cable and then use Wifi to connect back to Google Fiber and/or the rest of your LAN.

Does anyone rememeber any projects here were people were dealing with the communications between a SageTV server and clients and/or extenders? Any knowledge gleaned at that time could be useful in this instance to compare the traffic between SageTV7 and an HD300 and SageTV8 (aka Google Fiber) and an HD300.

Does anyone know much about the Google Fiber box. Are they hacakble? Here is a little bit of info: http://wikidevi.com/wiki/Google_Fibe...k_Box_(GFRG110)

p.s. KJake posted this on the VonageSniff thread so it seems like he knows something about monitoring network traffic.
Yes, the best way to monitor the network traffic is either to bridge it through the pc, or have the three devices connected on a hub (not switch). This will allow wireshark on the PC to grab the packets as they pass through, and allow analysis. I do know that at least the discovery method used by the google-fiber android app is the same as sage 7 placeshifter, so i wouldn't doubt that the other protocols are similar as well. The DRM mentioned is going to be the thing keeping the HD300 from working. I'm betting it never got worked into the HD300 firmware. Personally, I'd rather look into how the mobile app is interacting with the google-fiber server, and see if there is a way to get the app to work with a sagetv 7 server - since i could care less about google fiber (I will never see it), but would love to have the fiber app.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-27-2013, 05:12 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombraala View Post
So I'm on Google Fiber TV and I stumbled upon this thread/forum after I found out that the offering was based on SageTV. I've done a little bit of investigation and hacking around to try a few things out and have figured out a few things... like I did figure how to use the REST API to get the XML of my recorded content and then was able to figure out how to get the MPEG TS file as well. For unencrypted channels (local OTA channels) it worked fine and looked great but the encrypted (cable) channels were protected with DRM (Widevine I think, which makes sense since Widevine is Google's)

Anyway, I'll probably try installing Phoenix on my phone/tablet when I get back home and see if it works.

Otherwise, let me know if there's anything you want me to try and I'll do my best. I am new to SageTV but am a software engineer by trade so I enjoy hacking around.
Welcome. We are looking forward to hearing what you learn.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Personally, I'd rather look into how the mobile app is interacting with the google-fiber server, and see if there is a way to get the app to work with a sagetv 7 server - since i could care less about google fiber (I will never see it), but would love to have the fiber app.
I agree, as would anyone who doesn't live in KC or Austin.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I agree, as would anyone who doesn't live in KC or Austin.
or Provo.... or the next city they go to.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:12 AM
SageTVaholic

Donnie and Marie will be happy.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:09 AM
Sage User

For sniffing/capturing the traffic, you could also connect everything to a switch that supports port mirroring. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_mirroring
Cisco calls it SPAN. PM me if you want/need a unit for testing, I'd be happy to provide one for this worthy cause. (After troubleshooting is complete, one usually wouldn't want this class of device installed permanently due to increased size/noise/heat/power.)