SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-07-2004, 02:40 PM
Administrator

OK... I'm used to seeing Stubb's Sauce in our store, unless I never looked close enough at the label. While we marinade our chicken, I don't usually do that with steak. I'm looking for the beef flavor, where with chicken, I'm looking to add _some_ sort of flavor. I have used some sort of beef mesquite marinade, though.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by falchulk
I dont know about that, I have a no name cast iron tube type charcoal grill with a smoker box thats freaking amazing.
Yeah -- but note that you said "cast iron", instead of sheet steel. Also, the gas burners on those cheap gas grills aren't too good, so you'll get a much better result with an inexpensive charcoal grill compared to them. But, yes, you are correct: cheap does not always mean bad!

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:51 PM
Sage Icon

Charcoal = great taste
Those who follow the "taste the meat not the fuel" theory dont know what they are missing. If I wanted to cook with gas I could do it in my kitchen instead of the backyard!
Old 06-07-2004, 02:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

falchulk, a gas grill doesn't have to taste like gas. Like I was saying, the wood chips mask any of that and add to the flavor. Charcoal is a big inconvenience. If you are a true connoisseur, why aren't you using wood?

Give Stubbs a chance Andy, there aren't words to express how good it is! The idea isn't to make a steak shaped meal of the marinade. If you can't taste the steak, you've marinated too long! The marinade should accentuate the steak flavor, not cover it entirely. A marinated steak is very juicy because of the marinade it has soaked up. High class steak joints marinate their steaks, usually in a very mild marinade and not for very long. Sometimes they will tell you if you ask, most likely its something very simple like garlic and liquid smoke.

Listen to some anonymous yahoo on an obscure internet discussion forum, and give it a shot.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:06 PM
Sage Icon

Nate, I do use wood. I have big 50lb bags of mesquite and hickory. I mainly use that in the side firebox for smoking. For just BBQing we use charcoal with a few chunks of wood soaked in beer thrown on top.

BTW, I am a fan of Stubbs myself.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

Cool! I'd like to get a smoker someday, but I need a house first. All I'm saying is gas is extremely convenient for grilling, and with wood chips there really isn't a down side.

Woohoo another Stubbs fan! Have you had much success with your own marinades? I used to enjoy creating various concoctions for marination, but Stubbs destroyed all that. Until I can find something better, I give up.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

As someone who has used both charcoal briquettes and gas barbeques, the charcoal definitely gives more flavour than the gas, but the convenience of the gas BBQ can't be beat. (And it still tastes better than using the oven.)
Old 06-07-2004, 03:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

Where you using wood chips with the gas grill?
Old 06-07-2004, 03:42 PM

Ok, now I'm hungry and want a new grill and Stubb's marinade. Thanks alot you guys.

PS:I hate charcole of any type. Has to be wood or gas witha smoker.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:16 PM
Administrator

OK, OK... we had to go grocery shopping tonight, so I picked up a bottle of the Stubb's Beef Marinade. I tasted it... the good point: I like hot food, so the hot peppers were welcome; the bad: it tastes like they went overboard on the cumin, which is one spice I really don't like. I'll have to see how much cumin comes through after grilling.

- Andy
Old 06-07-2004, 07:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'll second the convenience of a gas grill. I laughed out loud when falchuk wrote "We just used it yesterday..." -- I use my grill every day when the weather's decent. Steaks, ribs, chicken, fish, vegetables, burgers, whatever.

Nate, a smoker pouch is a handy addition to a gas grill. Soak some wood chips in water, then put the wet chips on a sheet of foil. Fold the foil over and crimp to make a seal, then poke some holes in the top of the foil. Throw the pouch in a corner of the grill, and let the smoke-filled fun begin! Some higher end grills have a built-in smoker box for this purpose -- heck, I've even seen a grill with a burner specifically for the smoker box, for cold-smoking. Of course, that grill cost more than my car...
Old 06-08-2004, 01:34 AM
Sage Fanatic

Ok, I'll jump in. For many years I used briquets for the added flavor. Then for about a decade used gas grills with smoker box for the convenience. Not bad, but too limited for true Q. Could never keep the temps low enough for real low and slow cooking. The last three years my primary slow smoker and grill is a Traeger, hardwood pellet fed. Pellets both the heat source and smoke. Keep mesquite, oak, hickory, pecan, apple, cherry, maple and alder pellets on hand at all times. They're 100% hardwood sawdust pressed into pellets, no additives or binders. Electric rod auto-start plus thermostat temp control from 180f to 450f. Convenient and I'll put my 6hr baby backs or 16hr pulled pork butts or 24hr brisket up against the best of them. (and pellets heads do win major Q competitions, not just chunk smokers) Sauce is optional with good Q! Try brining a Turkey for 48hrs then slow smoke it over cherry for about 16hr. The breast meat is so juicy it squirts and the flavor... Only Q when the "weather's decent"? I was doing two pork butts NY Eve in freezing weather! Rain, snow who cares. It's about taste and weather ain't gonna stop me! (I roast my own coffee too, but that's another subject)
Old 06-08-2004, 07:03 AM
Sage Icon

Interestingly, food network had all bbq shows on last night and even visited the Stubbs plant!

Grasshopper, I dont get home until 7:00 in the evening. I would not have time to clean up even a gas grill! Given the fact that I live on a mountain with other four legged residents, it would not be wise to just leave it till the morning. BBQ and smoking is a weekend only event for me.