SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:38 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jal View Post
The fact that I can't get beyond zero bytes filesize in the recordings is obviously the crux of the issue but I don't know what would be causing this.
where are you writing the recording file to, what folder? do you need to also set that option in SageDCT? Could be it.

I got caught out on that when first setting up SageDCT because I hard set the path to a specific drive within Sage, rather than letting it choose (or use UNC paths). you'll get a zero byte size file unless the directories with SageDCT and Sage match up.

See Replace Path:

One way to check is to run a SageDCT test START from its Test tab and see where the file shows up.
Client: HD300, Asus Pundit P1-AH1, AMD 3800+ X2 CPU, 1 GB RAM, 6150 graphics, ArcSoft decoders
Backup: Synology
SageTV version: FINAL
Old 05-24-2014, 04:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelme View Post
where are you writing the recording file to, what folder? do you need to also set that option in SageDCT? Could be it.

I got caught out on that when first setting up SageDCT because I hard set the path to a specific drive within Sage, rather than letting it choose (or use UNC paths). you'll get a zero byte size file unless the directories with SageDCT and Sage match up.

See Replace Path:

One way to check is to run a SageDCT test START from its Test tab and see where the file shows up.
Thanks so much for helping me. Are you referring to the 'Replace Path'? I left it blank as shown in your screenshot but based on your post I decided to paste the same path where the zero-byte Sage file is showing up - a folder called C:\TestVideos which is the folder I've pointed Sage recording to. However, the file is still zero bytes.

I went to the test screen as you suggested and changed the filepath to C:\TestVideos\file.ts and clicked Send. The number '1' shows up in the listbox each time I click send (do not get any error messages) but I don't see any file.ts. The SageTV files are showing up in '.ts' format but zero bytes.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

The rest of my settings in SageDCT seem to match your screenshot other than the Windows 7 PBDA option (I left it unchecked on Win8)
Old 05-26-2014, 12:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

I suspect the problem is that Silicon software isn't creating a .scn file. I tried turning off UAC (and the firewall) because another thread suggested this could be blocking file creation on Win-7. He said it worked for him but it's not working on my Win8 machine even if I run Silicon QuickTV as an administrator. So at this point I don't know how to create a .scn file.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I suspect the problem is that Silicon software isn't creating a .scn file. I tried turning off UAC (and the firewall) because another thread suggested this could be blocking file creation on Win-7. He said it worked for him but it's not working on my Win8 machine even if I run Silicon QuickTV as an administrator. So at this point I don't know how to create a .scn file.
SCN files are not created from the Prime using CableCard. only if you are recording QAM then scn files created. If you are getting no signal from SageDCT you need to check a few things make sure SAGEDCT has Full access in your firewall also sagetvservice and Sagetv. Also make sure in the HD Homerun software is set to SageTV if you make any changes to as described make sure you reboot. You are misled if you are using SAGEDCT and expecting SCN files.

Try reading this post.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...postcount=1360

Last edited by nyplayer; 05-26-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
SCN files are not created from the Prime using CableCard. only if you are recording QAM then scn files created. If you are getting no signal from SageDCT you need to check a few things make sure SAGEDCT has Full access in your firewall also sagetvservice and Sagetv. Also make sure in the HD Homerun software is set to SageTV if you make any changes to as described make sure you reboot. You are misled if you are using SAGEDCT and expecting SCN files.

Try reading this post.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...postcount=1360
Thanks! I had already read that link a couple of times, however, and don't see where I've gone wrong. Take for example the firewall. Initially I was getting the error "There are no tuners available for this channel" until I added SageTV.exe and SageTVservice.exe to Windows firewall apps, plus I added all the ports individually on both private and public networks. Never got that message again but thereafter for the last couple of days all I get is the No-Signal message if I use a built-in lineup (Comcast digital jacksonville) so I thought maybe there was a way to manually add channels/lineup using a .scn file (this was a last resort born of desperation).

Silicon software has "SageTV" set at its application and I've rebooted several times over the last few days but no joy. i can play all the channels in Silicon although they come up as "5001 Unknown channel". Not only did I reboot multiple times but probably a 100 times I restarted the SageTV and SageDCT services (I did this every time I tried something new). I'm fresh out of ideas.

Thanks for the info, didn't know that .scn files were for QAM.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

I don't know if Comcast provisioned the card correctly - seem odd to me that Silicon doesn't see any channel names, only "5001 Unkown Channel" - and yet for 20 minutes Comcast had me on the phone while they 'paired' my card. Don't get it.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I don't know if Comcast provisioned the card correctly - seem odd to me that Silicon doesn't see any channel names, only "5001 Unkown Channel" - and yet for 20 minutes Comcast had me on the phone while they 'paired' my card. Don't get it.
Well can you do a channel scan in the silicon web page of your tuner? Also can you do a channel scan in your Hd Homerun software? and view all the channels maybe your channels are encrypted? To access the web page of your tuner just type on your browser. See example below.

http://192.168.0.22/

Last edited by nyplayer; 05-26-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Well can you do a channel scan in the silicon web page of your tuner? Also can you do a channel scan in your Hd Homerun software? and view all the channels maybe your channels are encrypted? To access the web page of your tuner just type on your browser. See example below.

http://192.168.0.22/
See attached. That's what I get when I scan channels using Silicon software. I can click any of those links to view a channel using the QuickTV software. When I go to the URL for the hdhr I get that same list of channels even though the url says 'No cable card installed'. If not installed, why then does NPVR play/record just fine?
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (24.5 KB, 139 views)
Old 05-26-2014, 06:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
See attached. That's what I get when I scan channels using Silicon software. I can click any of those links to view a channel using the QuickTV software. When I go to the URL for the hdhr I get that same list of channels even though the url says 'No cable card installed'. If not installed, why then does NPVR play/record just fine?
Are you sure your cablecard is paired correctly and Installed correctly that HD Homerun stuff looks like you are getting only the Clear QAM channels and not the cable card channels that happens when the cable card is either not inserted right or not paired. did you go to the Hd Homerun webpage... and make sure it is paired correctly. That page gives you more info. When you bring up the web page go to system Status the click on system log.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hdwebpage.jpg (81.9 KB, 133 views)

Last edited by nyplayer; 05-26-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Are you sure your cablecard is paired correctly and Installed correctly that HD Homerun stuff looks like you are getting only the Clear QAM channels and not the cable card channels that happens when the cable card is either not inserted right or not paired. did you go to the Hd Homerun webpage... and make sure it is paired correctly. That page gives you more info.
Sorry that WAS the HdHR url I was referring to which says no cable card.

So maybe I am getting just the QAM channels. Let's see if I can verify that...
Old 05-26-2014, 06:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Sorry that WAS the HdHR url I was referring to which says no cable card.

So maybe I am getting just the QAM channels. Let's see if I can verify that...
My first card I got from Comcast was a used one and was no good had to get another one. So I fell your pain if its your card. You can also try removing and reinserting if nothing else helps.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

I removed the cablecard and did another channel scan. It found the same set of channels without the card, I guess that proves these are just QAM channels. Also when I removed the card i noticed that the Prime box has a little bit of funny smell to it, almost as though it's running hot. At this point I don't know if the problem is the card or the Prime. I've already made 3 calls to Comcast on this card and each time they tell me that it's been activated. Thanks for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled1.png (20.8 KB, 133 views)
Old 05-26-2014, 07:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I removed the cablecard and did another channel scan. It found the same set of channels without the card, I guess that proves these are just QAM channels. Also when I removed the card i noticed that the Prime box has a little bit of funny smell to it, almost as though it's running hot. At this point I don't know if the problem is the card or the Prime. I've already made 3 calls to Comcast on this card and each time they tell me that it's been activated. Thanks for your help!
If you want sage to just work with clearqam you just have to select Digital Cable Instead of cablecard. Of Course they will be crap channels not your full cable channels.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
If you want sage to just work with clearqam you just have to select Digital Cable Instead of cablecard. Of Course they will be crap channels not your full cable channels.
I wasn't even sure what channels we are signed up for. I don't watch much TV, it's a package my sister ordered. That's why i assumed I had the corrrect set of channels showing. I'll go back to Comcast this week asking for another cable card. Thanks!
Old 05-26-2014, 07:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I wasn't even sure what channels we are signed up for. I don't watch much TV, it's a package my sister ordered. That's why i assumed I had the corrrect set of channels showing. I'll go back to Comcast this week asking for another cable card. Thanks!
Good luck you have done all you could.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks to you I'm a step closer. I got on the phone with Comcast again, raging that my card was still not activated. The guy said we'll send it a signal and you need to wait 20 minutes and try again. I did so and this time the Silicon scan is producing a completely different result, instead of "5001 Unknown Channel" I'm now getting real channel names and numbers (46 of them), at long last.

Oddly I'm still getting "No Signal" in SageTV but I'm still toying with it...
Old 05-26-2014, 09:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Closer - and yet so far away. This time the 'no signal' may be related to a whole new problem (although the main symptom is the same, namely a zero-byte video file every time) - the new problem is that SageTV won't play nice with SageTV service. Every time I run SageTV the SageTV service crashes. If I start the service manually, then the SageTV window says, "Connection to the server has been lost".

I don't even know whether I have the right executables in place. Some of the threads said to be sure to install SageTV 7.1.9 and so I did but then it kept asking me for a version-7 license, to get rid of that error I had to overwrite the new executables with my older ones (which I believe were 7.0). Maybe that was a mistake but I didn't know what else to do.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Closer - and yet so far away. This time the 'no signal' may be related to a whole new problem (although the main symptom is the same, namely a zero-byte video file every time) - the new problem is that SageTV won't play nice with SageTV service. Every time I run SageTV the SageTV service crashes. If I start the service manually, then the SageTV window says, "Connection to the server has been lost".

I don't even know whether I have the right executables in place. Some of the threads said to be sure to install SageTV 7.1.9 and so I did but then it kept asking me for a version-7 license, to get rid of that error I had to overwrite the new executables with my older ones (which I believe were 7.0). Maybe that was a mistake but I didn't know what else to do.
Get the executables from here. It will work with either 6 or 7 license.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56225
Old 05-26-2014, 09:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks! That's an old link so I'm pretty sure it's the same one I used when I first installed version 7 a couple of years back - this means I probably have the right executables. The service isn't crashing anymore at the moment so I removed the sources and am readding them. Right now it's hanging on 'downloading the lineup' - this happened to me a couple of times before, may have to kill it and restart.