SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by themeister View Post
I'm not talking about a "hard" link between the tuner and the disk. Bandwidth optimization is what you want. I meant that if you have 3 streams, then you need 3 physically separate capture devices, all of which are in the server, not network-attached.
That is not quite right I have 5 network attached capture devices for a total of 12 tuners connected to a switch that is connected to 1 NIC on my Server and also have 2 or more clients connected to the switch and I have not experienced dropouts. A few times I had all 12 recording and clients attached and have not experienced dropouts.

It is not like you are flooding the network as if you are copying files. Recording a 2 hour show in HD does not take that much bandwidth as it is done through a 2 hr. period.

Last edited by nyplayer; 03-20-2014 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:00 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
That is not quite right I have 5 network attached capture devices for a total of 12 tuners connected to a switch that is connected to 1 NIC on my Server and also have 2 or more clients connected to the switch and I have not experienced dropouts. A few times I had all 12 recording and clients attached and have not experienced dropouts.
Are you using ffmpeg? What level of code do you have in the HDHR Prime? I only experienced this when I moved to ffmpeg. Before that, I had streams feeding a single RAID-5 array.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:03 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by themeister View Post
Are you using ffmpeg? What level of code do you have in the HDHR Prime? I only experienced this when I moved to ffmpeg. Before that, I had streams feeding a single RAID-5 array.
I am using FFMPEG and am using the latest Beta firmware on my prime. I am also using the onboard Gigabit Nic on my I3. I was using a PCIE Intel nic but I needed the slot and found out that my onboard worked just fine.... I am recording to 4 drives (BandWidth) and do not use UNC paths.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:31 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I am using FFMPEG and am using the latest Beta firmware on my prime. I am also using the onboard Gigabit Nic on my I3. I was using a PCIE Intel nic but I needed the slot and found out that my onboard worked just fine.... I am recording to 4 drives (BandWidth) and do not use UNC paths.
I'm positive that my problem is not the NIC or the switch. I tried both on-board and Intel PCI NICs, both gigabit. Attached the Prime directly to both NICs and still had the problem. Signal strength is excellent. I found that rebooting the Prime at lease once a week helps reduce droppage (it gets worse in time) and adding another disk helped. I'm running 2014121 in the Prime. Kind of afraid to upgrade because you can't go back.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Did you find UNC paths slow things down? Or just your preference not to use them?

I have the setup listed below in my sig, with the HD Prime and the original HDHR hooked directly into my router. The router then goes to a Powerline network, which is where my server picks up the network.

I find that with 3 HD streams recording, or 1 client trying to pull data while the server is recording 2 HD streams, the recordings start becoming extremely choppy to the point of not being watchable.

I use UNC paths because I like comskip to work on my clients.

Server: SageTV 9.2.6x64 on Win10 x64 Home, i7-2600, 8gb RAM, OpenDCT, Java 1.8, 20TB storage
Display: EVGA GT 1030 fanless to Sony LED TV via DVI-HDMI
Capture Devices: HDHR Prime for Comcast, HDHR Dual for OTA (retired)
Clients: Nvidia Shield Android miniclient
Old 03-20-2014, 10:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo View Post
Did you find UNC paths slow things down? Or just your preference not to use them?

I have the setup listed below in my sig, with the HD Prime and the original HDHR hooked directly into my router. The router then goes to a Powerline network, which is where my server picks up the network.

I find that with 3 HD streams recording, or 1 client trying to pull data while the server is recording 2 HD streams, the recordings start becoming extremely choppy to the point of not being watchable.

I do not use unc because I find it more reliable not to. No extra load on the NIC when using SageDCT. All my clients use mapped drives so using comskip is no problem at all. This was recommended by Andy the author of SageDCT .

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...postcount=1008

Last edited by nyplayer; 03-20-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I do not use unc because I find it more reliable not to. No extra load on the NIC when using SageDCT. All my clients use mapped drives so using comskip is no problem at all. This was recommended by Andy the author of SageDCT .

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...postcount=1008
Thanks for the info suggesting mapped drives over UNC. I remember reading that post while reviewing this MONSTER thread!

A quick question reviewing my understanding of mapped drives: so does each client individually need to map the drives on the server to the same letters? I use some mapped drives for my local network but I'm not familiar with how drive mapping works within SageTV server/client interactions.

Server: SageTV 9.2.6x64 on Win10 x64 Home, i7-2600, 8gb RAM, OpenDCT, Java 1.8, 20TB storage
Old 03-21-2014, 06:50 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo View Post
So if I stop using UNC paths, comskip will not work on the extenders?
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 03-21-2014, 07:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Extenders do not care if you use unc paths or not comskip will work. The server streams everything to the extenders... So it is as if you are viewing on the Server. If you are using only Extenders I would not even use UNC paths.

Last edited by nyplayer; 03-21-2014 at 07:18 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:06 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Extenders do not care if you use unc paths or not comskip will work. The server streams everything to the extenders... So it is as if you are viewing on the Server. If you are using only Extenders I would not even use UNC paths.
I removed the UNC paths for recording directories. We will see if that helps with the pixilation.

Thanks,
John
Old 03-22-2014, 06:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Hi. I can re-create the black-screen problem in SageTV on command.

The relatives that I just got setup here with Charter ... it was an interesting scenario. We had Charter out to the house last week to dial in the cable card and tuning adapter properly so that we were receiving all channels. Then, on Tuesday, in this particular market, they decided to perform the digital upgrade.

I found the new lineup in Sage this weekend (called Charter Rebuild, or something like that) and dialed in all their channels again. Strangely, Sage was now unable to tune - (or rather view) black screen - 10 or 20 stations that they should have been receiving. I thought it was a problem with the cablecard and tuning adapter, so started chasing that down when I realized that I could tell Sage to record that bad station, and although Sage couldn't render it, VLC could without issue.

I remembered reading about it in this thread, so I ended up switch to FFmpeg in SageDCT and it worked, but seems to hit this slower computer much harder on CPU usage, so kind of disappointed with this coincidence of them upgrading to digital just as I was dialing all this in.

Is there a better solution?

If a sample of the problem video file would help, just let me know via PM and I'll make one available.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:20 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
I removed the UNC paths for recording directories. We will see if that helps with the pixilation.

Thanks,
John
Still have the pixilation problem not using the UNC Paths.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
John
Old 03-23-2014, 10:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
Still have the pixilation problem not using the UNC Paths.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
John
I do not know what else to tell you. In my case I finally had to leave Sage I cannot even render half of my OTA recordings. Especially ABC and NBC ... just was getting a black screen with the spinning circle. Hope somebody else can help.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Before I start trying to read through the 95 pages of this thread, can someone briefly tell me whether using HDHomeRun Prime with Sage is still considered viable? My original HDHomeRun is getting flaky with reception problems, and I'm wondering if I should go back to getting my recordings from Cable (Comcast, metro Detroit). Thanks!
Old 04-04-2014, 11:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

Working great for me. Just be sure your cable company doesn't put DRM on. Comcast SF leave everything as copy freely except the extra-pay premium channels. Only Windows Media Center can handle those.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

Oh, one more thing, you'll need Babgvant's SageDCT (donator version). Well worth the $5 donation.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:34 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoJohn View Post
Working great for me. Just be sure your cable company doesn't put DRM on. Comcast SF leave everything as copy freely except the extra-pay premium channels. Only Windows Media Center can handle those.
Thanks for the reply, FriscoJohn. And thanks for the tip about Babgvant's SageDCT (donator version).

Are you aware of any post that neatly summarizes the necessary steps to get the Prime working with SageTV? Or am I in for the full thread read?
Old 04-05-2014, 11:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

You might want to look at my first post in the thread and the responses. Good Luck.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:51 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellThen View Post
Before I start trying to read through the 95 pages of this thread, can someone briefly tell me whether using HDHomeRun Prime with Sage is still considered viable? My original HDHomeRun is getting flaky with reception problems, and I'm wondering if I should go back to getting my recordings from Cable (Comcast, metro Detroit). Thanks!
The only thing I had to do was buy another video card -- I had trouble using the Sage MPEG decoder for video. But the card, after rebate, was $10! So no complaints. Everything is working perfectly now with SageDCT (donated version -- like everyone says, well worth the 5 bucks). Win 7 x64 + Sage + SageDCT + HDHomeRun Prime.

Also, I had to install LM Remote Keymap in addition to the x64 Streamzap remote driver. Without LM Remote Keymap, there was a horrible delay.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellThen View Post
Thanks for the reply, FriscoJohn. And thanks for the tip about Babgvant's SageDCT (donator version).

Are you aware of any post that neatly summarizes the necessary steps to get the Prime working with SageTV? Or am I in for the full thread read?
This post has a decent summary. If you're on Win7, SageDCT should automatically open ports and such on the Windows firewall, I believe. I was/am on XP and it needed a lot of tinkering.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...postcount=1360