SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Looks to me like your cable company made a change .... reboot your prime.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:05 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Looks to me like your cable company made a change .... reboot your prime.
I've been having to reboot it almost everyday.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace007 View Post
I've been having to reboot it almost everyday.
Maybe you need a new Card ... this really has nothing to do with SageDCT.

Edit.

You might want to power of the Prime and re-sit the cable card.

Last edited by nyplayer; 12-21-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:28 AM
Sage Advanced User

I enabled logging on the Prime and sent a support request to Silicondust. We'll see what they say.

Somebody had mentioned in another thread that there was a command line method to reset the Prime. I have not be able to find it again. Does anybody have that?
Old 12-21-2013, 08:37 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace007 View Post
I enabled logging on the Prime and sent a support request to Silicondust. We'll see what they say.

Somebody had mentioned in another thread that there was a command line method to reset the Prime. I have not be able to find it again. Does anybody have that?
Change the part in red to your Prime Id
"c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config.exe" 13147C7B set /sys/restart self
Old 12-23-2013, 02:37 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
Yes. If the extender or SageTV PC client cannot play the file (no signal, circle of patience, etc.), but a file is created on the server the Ffmpeg option should fix that (that's why it exists).
The Ffmpeg method works great for the two channels that won't otherwise tune, but then the overall channel changing is quite slow.

In the normal/Dump mode, channel changing is nice and quick, but those two channels will bring up the circle for almost a minute.

Is there anyway to have an option to only use the Ffmpeg method with select channels and the dump method otherwise?

Last edited by NishanF; 12-23-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

My experience is the same. The Dump option (in the SageDCT setup program) is great for speed of channel changes but ffmpeg will handle the two or three channels that won't work under the Dump option.

Is there any particular benefit in going with the 3rd option, "PBDA"? I have Win7 but would have to install the specified codec package to use PBDA and wonder if it is worth it. Has anyone gone this route? Was it beneficial

This, of course, is just fine-tuning stuff. SageDCT is a masterful product and babgvant did our SageTV community a great service in writing it. I have far more channels using it with HDHRPrime than I ever did using QAM.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:04 AM
Sage Aficionado

Hi all, just got a Prime and loaded the 64 bit version of SageDCT 2.60 under Win7. I've been testing it out this evening, with multiple recordings, etc. It seemed to be working well, but I was down to a single HD show being recorded when I started seeing some issues. Checking Task Manager on the server, I see that SageDCT is taking up around 60% of the processor, and the ram usage is growing as well. It's just under 3,000,000 K right now.. (SageTVService is about 85,000 K)

Why would this memory keep growing?

I'm guessing that this is my problem, but I don't know why I'm having this CPU and memory issue with SageDCT. I found this thread by searching on high CPU for SageDCT, but I believe what I saw related to high CPU had to do with XP.

Any ideas?

Updated to add: After I made this initial post, I rebooted my serve and updated to the Beta Prime firmware (20131212 beta1). In recording one test show, I'm seeing the memory usage of SageDCT fluctuate. It got up to about 60 Meg, then dropped back down to about 15. After watching it for a few more minutes, it's getting up to the 100 Meg range, dropping back to 70, etc... Not knowing how SageDCT works, I'm not sure why it's doing this. Anyone with any insight? Could it be that it's having trouble writing the data to my NAS, so it buffers it up until it can successfully write it out? My Synology NAS shows an average of about 3 megabytes per second being written. Even when I see big drops in the memory usage of SageDCT, the speed being written doesn't seem to change much.

Last edited by ptaylor; 01-01-2014 at 01:06 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:31 AM
Sage Advanced User

All I can say that might be helpful is that I also am running SageDCT (with an HDHRPrime) on Win7 64 bit and not having any of the problems you are experiencing. I, however, am using the latest version of SageDCT (2.72 64 bit). Go to babgvant.com and make the modest donation ($5.00) which will get you into the "Limited access" part of the Sage downloads on that site, you'll find 2.72 there. It may take a day or two after donating before you get access, oh, and you should join the site when you donate--this will expedite your getting full access.

One other thing, you have to be sure that Windows firewall is NOT disabled. For some reason, disabling it plays hob with SageDCT.

Hang in there, once it's working it's sweet. Good luck.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:47 AM
Sage Aficionado

Ok, donated to get the beta of SageDCT and the donator version of comskip (I've been using it for years, so it's about time, I guess)... Anything that can make things more efficient.

I was running with the Windows Firewall disabled, so I've enabled it and did a quick test to ensure that it Sage still works with the firewall enabled. It worked, but I still had the issue with SageDCT's memory growing to over 100 Meg within a couple of minutes.

I rebooted now so SageDCT and Sage got a fresh start with the firewall in place, but upon recording another HD show, I still got to almost 300 Meg of memory for SageDCT within a few minutes.

*Donated for SageDCT & comskip, but haven't gotten them yet.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaylor View Post
Ok, donated to get the beta of SageDCT and the donator version of comskip (I've been using it for years, so it's about time, I guess)... Anything that can make things more efficient.

I was running with the Windows Firewall disabled, so I've enabled it and did a quick test to ensure that it Sage still works with the firewall enabled. It worked, but I still had the issue with SageDCT's memory growing to over 100 Meg within a couple of minutes.

I rebooted now so SageDCT and Sage got a fresh start with the firewall in place, but upon recording another HD show, I still got to almost 300 Meg of memory for SageDCT within a few minutes.

*Donated for SageDCT & comskip, but haven't gotten them yet.
That is because you are not recording to a local drive. So it is doing a lot of buffering Imagine what will happen when you record 3 shows. You can use the replace path... Then move you recordings where you want them.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ah - I thought that might have been the issue. It only seems to be a problem when I'm recording HD shows. Unfortunately, most of the shows I'm interested in are on HD channels.

Any way within SageTV to have the recordings moved automatically after they are done recording?

I know if I turn on automatic conversions I can have the destination be a different location... This would be perfect for what I want to do, except I don't want to have the processor tied up converting videos.

Is there some feature I'm overlooking that would allow me to write locally (even to a external USB drive) then have them moved to the desired location? Is there a plug-in or something that can do this?

My SageTV server is a Mac mini, and all my video storage is on a Synology NAS... I only have about 13 GB of my Windows partition free, so writing to it is out. I could hook up a USB drive, perhaps that would solve it, but I don't want my videos stored there long term. Can I have conversion jobs only run between certain hours (like from midnight until 8 AM or so)?
Old 01-01-2014, 07:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ok, I think I have a solution... SJQ4 lets me move my recordings after they are complete, and it even has intelligence built into it to not try to move recordings while other recordings are in progress.

And I've gotten SageDCT 2.72 in and running using FFMPEG to capture and all seems to be working well. Thanks to all!
Old 01-13-2014, 05:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

So I'm having a weirdness installing Prime CC using SageDCT on a second Sage server (backup machine that only actually runs probably once a month). The first machine installed just fine. I go through the install procedures... Copy the generated text into sage.properties. Then I start Sage, but the Prime tuners don't show up in the sources. When I check sage.properties, the newly pasted test is gone (it is in the backup file though). This machine uses Sluggers SD Plugin, if that would make any difference. The tuners are not being used. This machine was set up with WMC using the tuners initially. I must be doing something wrong somewhere. It's W7x64, laters Sage, Latest SageDCT, Probably latest java.

Any ideas?

Bobby

UPDATE: Never mind... It's working... I wasn't stopping the service...DUH

Last edited by BobbyDing; 01-13-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:19 AM
Sage Aficionado

cant get functioning

This makes me feel like a novice again.

I had sage functioning perfectly on my W8 sage box. But I moved to a SSD drive, and did a fresh install of W8.1. After installing Sage on 8.1, I copied my older Sage install over.

I installed HDHR and the tuners show/play on the HDHR software. I installed SageDCT 2.6 and copied the settings to my sage properties folder (Sage service off at the time). All services are running, and the sage properties folders retains the settings.

In Sage, I can see and add the tuners, and put a lineup on them. When i first add them, it is will say "functioning: true". But once i try to watch live TV, it will freeze up. When i go back to the tuner, it says "functioning: false"

So, based on other posts, thought this was a firewall issue. I turned firewall off to test and no luck. Turned it on, and made sure SageDCT was allowed, and it surely is. No luck.

I am out of ideas. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
Old 01-21-2014, 10:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabre View Post
This makes me feel like a novice again.

I had sage functioning perfectly on my W8 sage box. But I moved to a SSD drive, and did a fresh install of W8.1. After installing Sage on 8.1, I copied my older Sage install over.

I installed HDHR and the tuners show/play on the HDHR software. I installed SageDCT 2.6 and copied the settings to my sage properties folder (Sage service off at the time). All services are running, and the sage properties folders retains the settings.

In Sage, I can see and add the tuners, and put a lineup on them. When i first add them, it is will say "functioning: true". But once i try to watch live TV, it will freeze up. When i go back to the tuner, it says "functioning: false"

So, based on other posts, thought this was a firewall issue. I turned firewall off to test and no luck. Turned it on, and made sure SageDCT was allowed, and it surely is. No luck.

I am out of ideas. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
Make sure that SageTVService and SAGETV have full access in your firewall. Also make sure you can view channels in QuickTV.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:11 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Make sure that SageTVService and SAGETV have full access in your firewall. Also make sure you can view channels in QuickTV.
Thanks nplayer. I can confirm Sagetvservice and sagetv have full access. Also was able to view TV in QuickTV.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabre View Post
Thanks nplayer. I can confirm Sagetvservice and sagetv have full access. Also was able to view TV in QuickTV.
Did You restart the computer after setting everything up? I would to make sure all firewall and other settings take properly. also make sure in the Hd Homerun setup the application is set to SageTv
Old 01-21-2014, 11:38 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Did You restart the computer after setting everything up? I would to make sure all firewall and other settings take properly. also make sure in the Hd Homerun setup the application is set to SageTv
I restarted a few times last night. will do it all again when i get home. do you think 2.7.2 run better than 2.6?
Old 01-21-2014, 11:58 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac View Post
I've been using the vlc option in SageDCT 2.6.0 since early October because without it I was unable to view many of the second tier premium channels. Now that I have the encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=true it's working great (so far).

I still want to do a week of recording on those channels that had given me problems in the past but given the Christmas TV schedule, the shows aren't as plentiful as before so I'm stuck viewing "Dora The Explorer" and other shows like that to test.

Once I get this stable again I'll look at migrating to 2.7.2.

BigMac
Well, it's been several weeks and except for 2 programs recorded since my previous post about setting program_stream to true, the Prime with SageDCT 2.6.0 has worked Great.

The 2 program's recorded but lost sound halfway through them. The second of the lost sound shows, I was able to switch to live on my Comcast DVR and verify that sound was there but the recording lost sound in the middle of a commercial. I manually stopped the recording and started it back up (Sage choose the same tuner) and sound was back.

I think it's time for SageDCT 2.7.2.

BigMac
Client2: Win7 Pro (64bit), Intel Quad Q9650 3.00GHz, 8G Ram, Test/Work/Gaming system.