SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:02 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
DUMP is in the capture tab of SAGEDCT.
Sorry nplayer but I don't see a capture tab in SAGEDCT (ConfigureSageDCT.exe). I'm running 2.6.0 64bit version.

BigMac
Client2: Win7 Pro (64bit), Intel Quad Q9650 3.00GHz, 8G Ram, Test/Work/Gaming system.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac View Post
Sorry nplayer but I don't see a capture tab in SAGEDCT (ConfigureSageDCT.exe). I'm running 2.6.0 64bit version.

BigMac
No Problem maybe it is version related.... as long as you are not using the VLC option in 2.60 you are using DUMP. I am on 2.72 so I have that tab... but that should not have any effect on what you are trying.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:07 PM
Sage User

I've been using the vlc option in SageDCT 2.6.0 since early October because without it I was unable to view many of the second tier premium channels. Now that I have the encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=true it's working great (so far).

I still want to do a week of recording on those channels that had given me problems in the past but given the Christmas TV schedule, the shows aren't as plentiful as before so I'm stuck viewing "Dora The Explorer" and other shows like that to test.

Once I get this stable again I'll look at migrating to 2.7.2.

BigMac
Client2: Win7 Pro (64bit), Intel Quad Q9650 3.00GHz, 8G Ram, Test/Work/Gaming system.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

I changed my encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream setting to true last night and channel changes were MUCH faster. I also set SageDCT back to dump. I only played with it for about 10 minutes jumping around to different channels until I finally hit one that froze up the extender. I'll have to play with it more today.

I have been having massive reliability problems over the past month. Just a theory but its almost like the tuner is not getting released when the channel changes and it quickly runs out of tuners to use or it just fails to be able to retune the existing tuner.

I've been trying to find my Sage license keys. Thinking about rebuilding the server.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

I've been struggling with getting the settings right as well since Comcast made the switch to all encrypted.

DUMP mode doesn't work for me on certain channels even with:

encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=true

I get "No Signal".

When I switch to ffmpeg, it works; however, there are some quality issues with recordings (dropped packets).
Old 12-19-2013, 02:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by themeister View Post
I've been struggling with getting the settings right as well since Comcast made the switch to all encrypted.

DUMP mode doesn't work for me on certain channels even with:

encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=true

I get "No Signal".

When I switch to ffmpeg, it works; however, there are some quality issues with recordings (dropped packets).
I'm running in to the same. With it set to True and Dump channels that work tune in very quickly but there are a few that just fail and show No Signal. I with SageDCT had a way to use custom settings per channel.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Maybe you guys should upgrade your signatures with the Operating Systems you are using it does help.... as Silicondust has some registry settings that effect Network lost packets and other settings depending on your operating System..

Below is an example

Network loss due to wireless:
We recommend using a wired network for streaming high-definition video.
Some wireless 'N' networks using the WPA-TKIP encryption configuration have been found to have performance issues. WPA2-AES is recommended.

Network loss due to Vista/7 network throttling:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948066

Windows Vista and 7 can throttle network performance when using multimedia applications such as Windows Media Center. This can lead to network packet loss when navigating the WMC user interface.

Try disabling this feature by changing the following registry setting to ffffffff (Hexadecimal):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\NetworkThrottlingIndex

You will need to reboot after making this change.

Network loss due to the PC network card:
- Right click on My Network Places and choose properties.
- Double click on the Local Area Connection icon to bring up the status page.
- Check that the Speed is reported as 100Mbps or 1Gbps.
- Click Properties. Check the brand/model of the network interface:
-- nForce based interface: Click Configure and switch to the Advanced tab. Disable checksum offloading features.
-- Intel based interface: Click Configure and switch to the Advanced tab. Test with alternative Interrupt Mitigation settings.
-- All interfaces: Click Configure are switch to the Advanced tab. Increase the Receive Buffer size (if this option is present). Test with the Interrupt Mitigation/Moderation setting both On and Off (if this option is present). If the issues persist after adjusting these settings, try disabling all options referencing "offload".

Network loss due to a 3rd party software firewall:
We have seen instances where some 3rd party firewall drivers fail to keep up with streaming HD video over RTP.

As a test, try uninstalling any 3rd party firewall software and rebooting. It is not enough to disable the firewall - it must be uninstalled (disabling typically only affects the rule-set, the firewall driver remains in the data path). In most cases a reboot is required to remove the firewall driver from the network path.

If uninstalling the 3rd party firewall fixes the problem then 1) Try upgrading to the latest version, or 2) contact the firewall vendor, or 3) consider using an alternative firewall such as Windows Firewall.

Network loss in Mac OS X:
Create a file called sysctl.conf in /etc (this must be done as root or using sudo) and add the following lines:
Code:
kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=2097152
net.inet.tcp.sendspace=1048576
net.inet.tcp.recvspace=1048576
net.inet.udp.recvspace=81920
net.inet.udp.maxdgram=65535

Save the file and then reboot the computer.

Last edited by nyplayer; 12-19-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Network loss due to wireless:
We recommend using a wired network for streaming high-definition video.
Some wireless 'N' networks using the WPA-TKIP encryption configuration have been found to have performance issues. WPA2-AES is recommended.
This is a Cat5E wired Gbit network.

Quote:
Network loss due to Vista/7 network throttling:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948066

Windows Vista and 7 can throttle network performance when using multimedia applications such as Windows Media Center. This can lead to network packet loss when navigating the WMC user interface.

Try disabling this feature by changing the following registry setting to ffffffff (Hexadecimal):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\NetworkThrottlingIndex

You will need to reboot after making this change.
Did that a long time ago.

Quote:
Network loss due to the PC network card:
- Right click on My Network Places and choose properties.
- Double click on the Local Area Connection icon to bring up the status page.
- Check that the Speed is reported as 100Mbps or 1Gbps.
- Click Properties. Check the brand/model of the network interface:
-- nForce based interface: Click Configure and switch to the Advanced tab. Disable checksum offloading features.
-- Intel based interface: Click Configure and switch to the Advanced tab. Test with alternative Interrupt Mitigation settings.
-- All interfaces: Click Configure are switch to the Advanced tab. Increase the Receive Buffer size (if this option is present). Test with the Interrupt Mitigation/Moderation setting both On and Off (if this option is present). If the issues persist after adjusting these settings, try disabling all options referencing "offload".
Have a brand new router, brand new switch (all GbE), and a new NIC (Intel). Tried all NIC options on/off. I even tried plugging the HDHR Prime directly into a NIC. Oh, I also tried running the whole thing at 100Mbps. All to no avail.

Quote:
Network loss due to a 3rd party software firewall:
We have seen instances where some 3rd party firewall drivers fail to keep up with streaming HD video over RTP.

As a test, try uninstalling any 3rd party firewall software and rebooting. It is not enough to disable the firewall - it must be uninstalled (disabling typically only affects the rule-set, the firewall driver remains in the data path). In most cases a reboot is required to remove the firewall driver from the network path.

If uninstalling the 3rd party firewall fixes the problem then 1) Try upgrading to the latest version, or 2) contact the firewall vendor, or 3) consider using an alternative firewall such as Windows Firewall.
Don't have a 3rd party firewall. Windows firewall.

I've disabled Windows Scaling Heuristics and TCP/IP Auto-Tuning and things have gotten better, but since I had to move off of Dump mode to ffmpeg, this problem started.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:03 PM
SageTVaholic

One thing I do not use is UNC paths I use local Paths and map the drives to my clients... This was recommended to me by Andy when I had problems.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
One thing I do not use is UNC paths I use local Paths and map the drives to my clients... This was recommended to me by Andy when I had problems.
I've never used UNC paths. This is NOT a disk issue, nor a CPU issue.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:59 AM
Sage Advanced User

BTW....

So far, it looks good for the two latest changes:

1) Disabling Windows Heuristics

Under an elevated prompt:

netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled

2) Disable Auto-Tuning

Also under an elevated prompt:

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
Old 12-20-2013, 08:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
BTW....

2) Disable Auto-Tuning

Great that is one of the first things I disable when I install windows.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
BTW....

2) Disable Auto-Tuning

I put those in and an crossing my fingers so thanks. How are you set on the DUMP/FFMPEG and encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=true settings?
Old 12-20-2013, 11:27 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace007 View Post
How are you set on the DUMP/FFMPEG and encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=true settings?
To clarify encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=true:

Dump: this setting does nothing but change the file extension. The file is still a MPEG-TS, just with an .mpg extension.

VLC & Ffmpeg: the MPEG-TS is remuxed as a MPEG-PS.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:38 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
To clarify encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=true:

Dump: this setting does nothing but change the file extension. The file is still a MPEG-TS, just with an .mpg extension.

VLC & Ffmpeg: the MPEG-TS is remuxed as a MPEG-PS.
If I set encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=true and SageDCT to DUMP channels that work tune quickly but those that don't get a No Signal.

I cannot get it to work at all if I use FFMpeg and encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=true. I have to set it to false.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:47 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
If I set encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=true and SageDCT to DUMP channels that work tune quickly but those that don't get a No Signal.

I cannot get it to work at all if I use FFMpeg and encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=true. I have to set it to false.
The quality of MPTS that MSOs provide varies per show, not per channel although it can be reasonably static per channel. If you are using DUMP, the only thing this setting does is change the .ts to .mpg on the end of the file. Everything else is coincidence.

I cannot guarantee that VLC or Ffmpeg will have a chance to properly close/flush the file when the recording is over so I don't recommend having VLC or Ffmpeg remux to MPEG-TS -> MPEG-PS, if you do it and there's a problem the first thing I'll ask you to do is change it back.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
The quality of MPTS that MSOs provide varies per show, not per channel although it can be reasonably static per channel. If you are using DUMP, the only thing this setting does is change the .ts to .mpg on the end of the file. Everything else is coincidence.

I cannot guarantee that VLC or Ffmpeg will have a chance to properly close/flush the file when the recording is over so I don't recommend having VLC or Ffmpeg remux to MPEG-TS -> MPEG-PS, if you do it and there's a problem the first thing I'll ask you to do is change it back.
Babgvant: I think we all see you as the expert in this area. I think I need to use ffmpeg because of the channels coming in bad from Comcast but the tuning is very slow and sometimes it just stops working. In the Prime utilities I see the channel has tuned but the Sage extender just freezes up.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-20-2013, 12:00 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I think I need to use ffmpeg because of the channels coming in bad from Comcast but the tuning is very slow and sometimes it just stops working. In the Prime utilities I see the channel has tuned but the Sage extender just freezes up.

Any thoughts?
Yes. If the extender or SageTV PC client cannot play the file (no signal, circle of patience, etc.), but a file is created on the server the Ffmpeg option should fix that (that's why it exists).
Old 12-20-2013, 12:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Yes. If the extender or SageTV PC client cannot play the file (no signal, circle of patience, etc.), but a file is created on the server the Ffmpeg option should fix that (that's why it exists).
Should there be a significant increase in tuning time when using FFMPEG. My Sage server is a single socket quad core. Not a powerhouse gaming machine but it has decent power.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:47 AM
Sage Advanced User

So this is interesting

My sage was working last night but this morning I was unable to tune anything. Usually when this happens I reset everything including the Prime and it starts working again. Looking at the Prime log this morning you can see the last time I reset it and for a while as I access channels it says I'm subscribed but then this morning you see me trying to tune in to 657 and over and over again as Sage tries to tune it tells me I'm not subscribed.

19700101-00:00:00 System: reset reason = power on
19700101-00:00:01 CableCARD: M-CARD inserted
19700101-00:00:03 System: network link 1000f
19700101-00:00:04 System: ip address obtained: 192.168.0.165 / 255.255.255.0
19700101-00:00:05 CableCARD: Motorola card (0000:0625)
19700101-00:00:05 CableCARD: authentication status: authentication in progress
19700101-00:00:05 CableCARD: authentication status: authentication success, validation success
20131220-18:35:40 CableCARD: time changed from Thu Jan 01 00:00:56 1970 to Fri Dec 20 18:35:40 2013
20131220-18:47:12 CableCARD: Tuner2: vchannel 655 (477MHz-1) access = subscribed
20131220-19:37:56 CableCARD: Tuner2: vchannel 664 (153MHz-1) access = subscribed
20131220-19:56:39 CableCARD: Tuner2: vchannel 716 (231MHz-9) access = subscribed
20131220-20:00:14 CableCARD: Tuner2: vchannel 716 (231MHz-9) access = subscribed
20131220-20:04:20 CableCARD: Tuner1: vchannel 738 (543MHz-21) access = subscribed
20131220-22:13:07 CableCARD: Tuner2: vchannel 766 (339MHz-61) access = subscribed
20131220-23:17:37 CableCARD: Tuner2: vchannel 728 (327MHz-57) access = subscribed
20131220-23:30:15 CableCARD: Tuner2: vchannel 728 (327MHz-57) access = subscribed
20131220-23:35:40 CableCARD: Tuner2: vchannel 728 (327MHz-57) access = subscribed
20131221-00:00:14 CableCARD: Tuner2: vchannel 728 (327MHz-57) access = subscribed
20131221-00:00:26 CableCARD: Tuner2: vchannel 728 (327MHz-57) access = subscribed
20131221-00:29:39 CableCARD: Tuner2: vchannel 728 (327MHz-57) access = subscribed
20131221-00:30:14 CableCARD: Tuner2: vchannel 728 (327MHz-57) access = subscribed
20131221-00:30:39 CableCARD: Tuner2: vchannel 728 (327MHz-57) access = subscribed
20131221-01:00:14 CableCARD: Tuner2: vchannel 728 (327MHz-57) access = subscribed
20131221-01:13:50 CableCARD: Tuner2: vchannel 728 (327MHz-57) access = subscribed
20131221-02:58:14 CableCARD: Tuner1: vchannel 654 (465MHz-2) access = subscribed
20131221-04:00:14 CableCARD: Tuner2: vchannel 656 (489MHz-1) access = subscribed
20131221-04:03:59 CableCARD: Tuner1: vchannel 655 (477MHz-1) access = subscribed
20131221-04:30:09 CableCARD: Tuner1: vchannel 682 (219MHz-3) access = subscribed
20131221-04:30:26 CableCARD: Tuner1: vchannel 682 (219MHz-3) access = subscribed
20131221-06:37:14 CableCARD: Tuner1: vchannel 7 (567MHz-6) access = subscribed
20131221-13:35:33 CableCARD: Tuner2: vchannel 657 (483MHz-1) access = not-subscribed
20131221-13:35:54 CableCARD: Tuner2: vchannel 657 (483MHz-1) access = not-subscribed
20131221-13:36:15 CableCARD: Tuner2: vchannel 657 (483MHz-1) access = not-subscribed
20131221-13:36:36 CableCARD: Tuner2: vchannel 657 (483MHz-1) access = not-subscribed
20131221-13:36:57 CableCARD: Tuner2: vchannel 657 (483MHz-1) access = not-subscribed
20131221-13:37:18 CableCARD: Tuner2: vchannel 657 (483MHz-1) access = not-subscribed
20131221-13:37:39 CableCARD: Tuner2: vchannel 657 (483MHz-1) access = not-subscribed
20131221-13:37:48 CableCARD: Tuner1: vchannel 657 (483MHz-1) access = not-subscribed
20131221-13:37:59 CableCARD: Tuner2: vchannel 657 (483MHz-1) access = not-subscribed
20131221-13:38:09 CableCARD: Tuner1: vchannel 657 (483MHz-1) access = not-subscribed
20131221-13:38:20 CableCARD: Tuner2: vchannel 657 (483MHz-1) access = not-subscribed
20131221-13:38:30 CableCARD: Tuner1: vchannel 657 (483MHz-1) access = not-subscribed
20131221-13:38:41 CableCARD: Tuner2: vchannel 657 (483MHz-1) access = not-subscribed
20131221-13:38:51 CableCARD: Tuner1: vchannel 657 (483MHz-1) access = not-subscribed
20131221-13:39:12 CableCARD: Tuner1: vchannel 657 (483MHz-1) access = not-subscribed
20131221-13:39:33 CableCARD: Tuner1: vchannel 657 (483MHz-1) access = not-subscribed