SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelme View Post
Did you run PrivateFirewall in training mode? (right click on the "security dude" on the tray) That's the easiest way to go.
I've tried that, but I get nothing with it in that mode, or any other mode, so there's nothing to train it with

WMC looks better every day.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I've tried that, but I get nothing with it in that mode, or any other mode, so there's nothing to train it with

Sorry, but windows media center is all but dead as well -- it supposedly will be in win 8 but not updated and will pretty much be the windows 7 version frozen.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/23/t...rt-up-options/

Guess now Ceton will have to develop its own PVR software as well, so as to not have to rely on windows media center -- maybe someone will buy the rights to mythtv and take it primetime.
CLIENTS: 2 x HD200s, 2 x HD300
Old 06-25-2012, 11:15 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:

Sorry to hear that, I was able to use the training mode to get every UDP and TCP port open auto-magically. The prompting dialog to allow access was popping up all the time for the first day or so. If you use the test feature of SageDCT (where it writes out a recording file to disk), you could jump start the logging of ports to the Prime that way.

On another note, Google I/O is this week and we can only hope they'll shed some light on what they might be thinking with TV and media handling.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:47 PM
SageTVaholic

It did actually sort of start working eventually. I've got no idea why, I turned on Training but that didn't do anything right way. I think I'd already opened up those ports.

Of course now my extenders don't see my server by name, just IP.

Quote:
If you use the test feature of SageDCT (where it writes out a recording file to disk), you could jump start the logging of ports to the Prime that way.
That's what I was doing, but nothing would happen at all. No popups from the firewall, nothing. SageDCT would just say "OK" the file would get created and then nothing.

I guess I suppose it's working OK now. All very frustrating, makes me sort of wish I'd stuck with Dish... Course my HD PVR died I think so that's gone, never got my Colossus to work worth a crap, and my R5000 has a tendency to just disappear for no reason. Maybe I should have just got a Hopper.

It's not anything Google did, but my whole Sage system has sort of gone to crap since Sage got acquired.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:11 PM
Sage Icon

Can someone who is experiencing the bad TS file problem run the following commands to get a full channel capture.

Quote:
"c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config.exe" deviceid set /tuner0/vchannel whatever
"c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config.exe" deviceid set /tuner0/filter 0x0-0x1fff
"c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config.exe" deviceid save /tuner0 food.ts
and get the file back to SD?
Old 06-27-2012, 12:21 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
Can someone who is experiencing the bad TS file problem run the following commands to get a full channel capture.

and get the file back to SD?
I am getting an error when I try to save the file:

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out. I needed to run an administrator command prompt.
Server: Gigabyte EP43-UD3L; Intel Core2Duo E5200; 4 GB DDR2 RAM; NVidia GeForce 9400GT; 6 tuners: Hauppauge HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC/QAM combo, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual Hybrid QAM, HD Homerun Prime (using SageDCT); 3.06TB total space: Seagate 160 GB, Maxtor 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 400GB, Hitachi 2 TB
Extender: HD200
Netgear MCAB1001 MoCA Coax-Ethernet Adapter Kit

Last edited by Sparhawk6; 06-27-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

Here is the file that was created:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/43581/food.ts (189 MB file)

I cannot play that in VLC or media player.

Here is the message I got from the command line:

Also posted in the SD forum.
Server: Gigabyte EP43-UD3L; Intel Core2Duo E5200; 4 GB DDR2 RAM; NVidia GeForce 9400GT; 6 tuners: Hauppauge HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC/QAM combo, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual Hybrid QAM, HD Homerun Prime (using SageDCT); 3.06TB total space: Seagate 160 GB, Maxtor 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 400GB, Hitachi 2 TB
Old 06-27-2012, 04:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

That file is valid, but VLC is not the best program to test for ts playback quality. I usually try with MPC-HD. The issue on this is the player needs to select the proper PMT stream to find the a/v streams.

Martin
Old 06-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by emveepee View Post
That file is valid, but VLC is not the best program to test for ts playback quality. I usually try with MPC-HD. The issue on this is the player needs to select the proper PMT stream to find the a/v streams.

Martin
this is different than some of the other troubled streams we're seen out of the Prime lately as MPC-HD finds the program map table to be intact. but you are correct, there are three programs in the file according to the MPEG2 Repair tool and only one is valid. So I imagine the SageTV demuxer isn't accessing the correct one (it's throwing an exception on my system under SageTV).
Old 06-28-2012, 07:10 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
this is different than some of the other troubled streams we're seen out of the Prime lately as MPC-HD finds the program map table to be intact. but you are correct, there are three programs in the file according to the MPEG2 Repair tool and only one is valid. So I imagine the SageTV demuxer isn't accessing the correct one (it's throwing an exception on my system under SageTV).
According to the metadata in the TS file the streams are encrypted. This is probably why it's not working.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
According to the metadata in the TS file the streams are encrypted. This is probably why it's not working.
Well, I can check again, but the last time I checked, Food Network had a copy freely tag applied.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:00 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparhawk6 View Post
Well, I can check again, but the last time I checked, Food Network had a copy freely tag applied.
It's possible that the same QAM channel is shared by multiple cable channels, or it could be something SD is doing to CYA a diagnostic process.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:43 PM
Sage User

Quote:
But if it really was copy protected, wouldn't that prevent the file from being played anywhere but Windows Media Center on the computer that recorded it?
Old 06-29-2012, 08:24 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewart710 View Post
But if it really was copy protected, wouldn't that prevent the file from being played anywhere but Windows Media Center on the computer that recorded it?
Yes, if the streams really are encrypted any application w/o a valid key to decrypt the data within will not be able to play them.

FWIW, I wouldn't focus on this file in anything but an academic sort of way. Hopefully it can provide SD the information they need.

It would probably be useful for others with this issue to also respond to the thread on the SD forum with sample files.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:43 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I guess I suppose it's working OK now. All very frustrating, makes me sort of wish I'd stuck with Dish... Course my HD PVR died I think so that's gone, never got my Colossus to work worth a crap, and my R5000 has a tendency to just disappear for no reason. Maybe I should have just got a Hopper.

It's not anything Google did, but my whole Sage system has sort of gone to crap since Sage got acquired.
My HD-PVR looks like it's also toes up after 3 years & 1 month of flawless operation. Now it isn't detected, there is a code 43 error on the USB port. I tried changing USB ports, reinstalled chipset drivers, swapped the HD-PVR power supply out, still nothing. Is this what yours did??

I will try swapping USB cables and try the HD-PVR on the old server, need to get it resolved ASAP for family happiness. I can try the Prime on Comcast, but need HBO recording too, suggestions?
6/23/2012 updated with spare parts - SageTV 7.1.9 WHS 2011: Gigabyte H55M-S2H, i3-550, 8GB Gskill Sniper RAM, WD320GB Scorpio OS drive, 6 Samsung 2TB drives, FSP Aurum Gold 400W PSU, reused Antec Lanboy case (idle 34W - undervolted). Snapraid 1.9 parity
Clients: 3 HD200
Sources: HDHomerun OTA, HD-PVR to Comcast Cisco RNG150 via USB-UIRT
Other: Denon AVR-2310CI, Panasonic 50" & 42" 720p plasmas, HSU sub, ancient Klipsch fronts + Polk surrounds
Old 06-29-2012, 11:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by najames View Post
My HD-PVR looks like it's also toes up after 3 years & 1 month of flawless operation. Now it isn't detected, there is a code 43 error on the USB port. I tried changing USB ports, reinstalled chipset drivers, swapped the HD-PVR power supply out, still nothing. Is this what yours did??
Roughly, though I didn't go so far as to check the codes and all.

Quote:
I will try swapping USB cables and try the HD-PVR on the old server, need to get it resolved ASAP for family happiness. I can try the Prime on Comcast, but need HBO recording too, suggestions?
If I were trying to get mine working my first thing would be to try a new power supply.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

Posted two more in hopes it would help on the SD forum to which Jason and Nick responded.

Looks like we struck out unless someone with a lot more knowledgable than I can devise a creative solution around this.

forum link

Narflex, the band-aids, glue and gum are starting to not be enough, I hope that Google campus shares a sense of urgency in getting whatever it is you got cooking released. Fingers crossed. Thanks.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

Well bummer. Sage is reporting the problem as SD's fault, and SD is reporting the problem as Sage's fault. It looks like we are at the end of the line. Google's takeover of Sage has finally come home to roost for me. Bummer that I invested this much in setting it up. How much do HD HomeRun Primes fetch on ebay?
Old 06-30-2012, 02:07 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparhawk6 View Post
Well bummer. Sage is reporting the problem as SD's fault, and SD is reporting the problem as Sage's fault. It looks like we are at the end of the line. Google's takeover of Sage has finally come home to roost for me. Bummer that I invested this much in setting it up. How much do HD HomeRun Primes fetch on ebay?
Wait, did you actually get a response from anyone at Google/Sage about this?

yeah, this sucks. for live viewing you are hosed. for recorded shows, there are options like running them through MPEG2Repair. that fixes them up so that SageTV's demux won't complain. the transcoding tools I tried, Sage's internal and Handbrake *did not* work on these files. I guess they are honoring the scrambled flag that is on some of the program streams or something.

With VLC you have to select the right program stream to play these recordings (as with MPEG2Repair). The funny thing about Sage is, for all the issues Placeshifter has, it selects the correct stream and can play these files.

I think SiliconDust could, if they so desired, modify the program streams if they wanted to for certain PID's. I'm not sure how much they muck with that now though if at all or if that is against the CableCard guidelines or something. Is this intended to be scrambled content (or copy once)? Have you talked to your provider about it?

I'd be curious if Ceton with the same channels/shows would have the same issues. Or likewise if TiVo had to roll out a fix just for this on their cable card boxes.

Last edited by phelme; 06-30-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:44 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
With VLC you have to select the right program stream to play these recordings (as with MPEG2Repair). The funny thing about Sage is, for all the issues Placeshifter has, it selects the correct stream and can play these files.
AFAIK, the placeshifter transcoder is based on mencoder, so it must utilize a different mechanism for locating the streams.

Quote:
I think SiliconDust could, if they so desired, modify the program streams if they wanted to for certain PID's. I'm not sure how much they muck with that now though if at all or if that is against the CableCard guidelines or something.
It would be a lot of work for them to rewrite the TS files. It's too bad that I wasn't able to get BDA recording to work for the Prime, if it did it's quite likely that it wouldn't exhibit this problem.