SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Sage Icon

I have a couple questions for all you HDHR Prime veterans.

1) is there a way to find out what channels/programs I would be able to record on my system before I get a cable card? I can't see spending the $$ on a CC if I'm not going to get a significant # of channels/programs that I can record over just using the QAM of the HDHR Prime that gets all my locals (CBS, NBC, ABC, TBS) and their sub-channels.

2) HD-PVR/STB vs HDHR Prime and SageDCT..... FIGHT! Who is the winner for your day to day recordings?

Thanks
Old 06-12-2012, 08:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Comcast Cable....
1.I can record any channel that I am subscribed to... If I can View it on my cable box I can record it.
2. The Cable Card is free. The Cable box is rented.

Last edited by nyplayer; 06-12-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:22 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham View Post

1) is there a way to find out what channels/programs I would be able to record on my system before I get a cable card? I can't see spending the $$ on a CC if I'm not going to get a significant # of channels/programs that I can record over just using the QAM of the HDHR Prime that gets all my locals (CBS, NBC, ABC, TBS) and their sub-channels.
There is a way to see, but it varies b/w STB models.

Also, we started a list of MSOs and people's results here.

Quote:
2) HD-PVR/STB vs HDHR Prime and SageDCT..... FIGHT! Who is the winner for your day to day recordings?
No contest; the HD-PVR/STB is a crude, stoneage-esqe instrument in comparison.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
It's also worth noting that the placeshifter uses separate components (i.e. not DirectShow) to handle streaming/transcoding.
Placeshifter was fine. Sagetv client and both my HD300 and HD200 wouldn't touch the file, just did the spinning circle.

Keeping in line with the transcoding idea with Placeshifter -- both playon and Plx played the files just fine as well.

When you click on the file and go to properties it says the data rate is 38810kbps and the total bitrate is 39194kbps. The extenders should be able to handle that. So I ran the Hawking file through VideoRedo and all I did was save as .mpg. It then played fine in all extenders and clients. But videoredo did not really do anything to the file so it must be the wrapper.

Its too bad there is no simple way to put the HD300 into placeshifter mode. I would be curious to know if it would play the files and live tv correctly. Only thing I can think of would be to put a router inside the network in between the HD300 and your server and then do the 31099 port forward and fake the HD300 into placeshifter mode.
CLIENTS: 2 x HD200s, 2 x HD300
Old 06-12-2012, 11:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
There is a way to see, but it varies b/w STB models.

Also, we started a list of MSOs and people's results here.

No contest; the HD-PVR/STB is a crude, stoneage-esqe instrument in comparison.
Ceton is the winner -- 1 card -- 4 channels to record.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:17 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Comcast Cable....
1.I can record any channel that I am subscribed to... If I can View it on my cable box I can record it.
2. The Cable Card is free. The Cable box is rented.
\

Comcast Colorado Springs:
I can record all channels I can see EXCEPT: For some reason comcast has "blocked" Encore/EncoreHD channels from my HDHR-Prime/DCT-2650. For that, I plan on keeping one HD-PVR attached to my system.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I have a couple questions for all you HDHR Prime veterans.

Thanks
On my system I have/had (3) HD-PVR/STB, which means renting (3) STB. It also means that I needed to use Firewire to more easily control the channel changing on the STB, which means I needed to use Win7 32bit, because the Firewire drivers weren't available for Win7 64bit, and I was having problems getting the USB-UIRT working like I needed. it also means I have 6 pieces of equipment I have to shelve and work around, and 6 wall warts to plug in, and a WHOLE lot of cables to deal with.
The HDHR-Prime is one nice, small piece of equipment, with one wall wart and one network cable and one comcast cable. MUCH tidier.

However, in all fairness, with my HD-PVR/STB setup, I don't have to worry about copy protection at all. If I can see it on my cable box, I can record it. Which is why I will keep one HD-PVR/STB attached to my sage system, so I can capture any Copy protected shows in my area, such as EncoreHD.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:38 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsupergeek View Post
Ceton is the winner -- 1 card -- 4 channels to record.
I prefer the HDHR because it's network connected so it can be anywhere (e.g. structured wiring panel) and isn't putting heat in the HTPC case.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgpaulus View Post
\

I can record all channels I can see EXCEPT: For some reason comcast has "blocked" Encore/EncoreHD channels from my HDHR-Prime/DCT-2650. For that, I plan on keeping one HD-PVR attached to my system.
That happens to me on FIOS when they run a free promo.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I prefer the HDHR because it's network connected so it can be anywhere (e.g. structured wiring panel) and isn't putting heat in the HTPC case.
Technically the CETON is a network encoder too, so I would guess it could be anywhere too, but then you would have a box for the encoders and a box for sagetv. Its bad enough that I have my sagetv and unraid in 2 separate boxes. As for heat its not so bad -- the cards stay under 52 deg cel even under full load with both cards and all 8 tuners recording.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:59 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsupergeek View Post
Technically the CETON is a network encoder too, so I would guess it could be anywhere too, but then you would have a box for the encoders and a box for sagetv. Its bad enough that I have my sagetv and unraid in 2 separate boxes. As for heat its not so bad -- the cards stay under 52 deg cel even under full load with both cards and all 8 tuners recording.
Technically the InfiniTV4 can be a network encoder, if you don't provide a PC host it's not terribly useful as a network attached device. While this can work, it introduces more points of failure into the mix than the HDHR, as well as requiring a lot more electricity to operate.

I use a LP mATX HTPC case inside a A/V cabinet, so heat build up is probably more a concern in my use case.

TBC, I don't mean to imply that the HDHR is always superior. Just that in my scenario, I use it instead of the InfiniTV (I have both) because it offers more flexibility.

Last edited by babgvant; 06-13-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:32 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Technically the InfiniTV4 can be a network encoder, if you don't provide a PC host it's not terribly useful as a network attached device. While this can work, it introduces more points of failure into the mix than the HDHR, as well as requiring a lot more electricity to operate.

I use a LP mATX HTPC case inside a A/V cabinet, so heat build up is probably a concern in my use case.

TBC, I don't mean to imply that the HDHR is always superior. Just that in my scenario, I use it instead of the InfiniTV (I have both) because it offers more flexibility.
Agreed, heat is always an issue, I am actually looking to put another cooler inside my HTPC, just to be safe. As for my choosing the CETON over the HDHR, I was just worried that with the delays on the units, that maybe there would be some compatibility issues and when I weighed the possibility of a future with no SageTV, I was trying to future proof my setup. I was hoping to maybe create a new PVR based in windows media center and ceton with the echos as my extenders, since there is no hardware extender option from silicondust it just made the choice easier for me.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:47 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgpaulus View Post
\

Encore is not a "copy freely" channel. Comcast is considering it a "premium" channel, like HBO, Cinemax, etc.
Server: Gigabyte EP43-UD3L; Intel Core2Duo E5200; 4 GB DDR2 RAM; NVidia GeForce 9400GT; 6 tuners: Hauppauge HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC/QAM combo, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual Hybrid QAM, HD Homerun Prime (using SageDCT); 3.06TB total space: Seagate 160 GB, Maxtor 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 400GB, Hitachi 2 TB
Extender: HD200
Netgear MCAB1001 MoCA Coax-Ethernet Adapter Kit
Old 06-13-2012, 09:58 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparhawk6 View Post
Encore is not a "copy freely" channel. Comcast is considering it a "premium" channel, like HBO, Cinemax, etc.
maybe so -- but in the FIOS world -- because I subscribe to cinemax, HBO, starz and encore, it is flagged copy freely for me and I can record all my premiums without issue. The only thing I can't do is VOD, which I then use the HD-PVR and a cable box when necessary.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:00 AM
SageTVaholic

An HD-PVR setup will not add heat inside your HTPC case, but it will add lots of heat in the adjacent area given all of the extra equipment needed - like a STB and an HD-PVR.

But for many people a CableCard device is not an option - here in Canada cable companies will not give CableCards to their customers and then there are the folks that don't get their TV from a cable company. The HD-PVR solution does have some drawbacks but it is safer from a DRM perspective, at least until component outputs are shut off.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:09 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
But for many people a CableCard device is not an option - here in Canada cable companies will not give CableCards to their customers and then there are the folks that don't get their TV from a cable company.
That kind of goes without saying... CableCARD isn't a good option if you can't get CableCARD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
The HD-PVR solution does have some drawbacks but it is safer from a DRM perspective, at least until component outputs are shut off.
Nothing is w/o compromise. While it's true that in a limited context the YPbPr capture is "safer" it's also much more expensive to scale and isn't as reliable (at least for me). Personally, I would find it very difficult to go back to the HD-PVR.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I submitted a Sage support request.
Another suggestion, look for "mpeg2repair." It can be found on the videohelp.com site and you can read more about it on avsforum.com. I ran it on your FoodNetwork recording and i'm not sure what it did exactly, but it made it playable with Sage (it says it found "14 corrupted video bytes" but nothing specific). It at least fixed it up enough that the DirectShow decoding chain pin problems Sage was having with the original are gone. One thing I noticed is that while Media Player Classic-HC could not decipher the media info on the original, it could after mpeg2repair did its thing.

Unfortunately the author has abandoned any more work on the tool and there isn't any command line interface built-in to make it part of your recording process. But according to the avsforum thread, someone hacked together a command line interface for it to go on top. Might work as a temporary fix.

Last edited by phelme; 06-13-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelme View Post
Another suggestion, look for "mpeg2repair." It can be found on the videohelp.com site and you can read more about it on avsforum.com. I ran it on your FoodNetwork recording and i'm not sure what it did exactly, but it made it playable with Sage (it says it found "14 corrupted video bytes" but nothing specific). It at least fixed it up enough that the DirectShow decoding chain pin problems Sage was having with the original are gone. One thing I noticed is that while Media Player Classic-HC could not decipher the media info on the original, it could after mpeg2repair did its thing.

Unfortunately the author has abandoned any more work on the tool and there isn't any command line interface built-in to make it part of your recording process. But according to the avsforum thread, someone hacked together a command line interface for it to go on top. Might work as a temporary fix.
Thanks Phelme. It indeed would be a temporary fix for recorded shows, but the biggest need I have is to fix this for live TV. But thanks, this would work good for recorded shows.
Server: Gigabyte EP43-UD3L; Intel Core2Duo E5200; 4 GB DDR2 RAM; NVidia GeForce 9400GT; 6 tuners: Hauppauge HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC/QAM combo, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual Hybrid QAM, HD Homerun Prime (using SageDCT); 3.06TB total space: Seagate 160 GB, Maxtor 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 400GB, Hitachi 2 TB
Extender: HD200
Netgear MCAB1001 MoCA Coax-Ethernet Adapter Kit
Old 06-13-2012, 07:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Thanks Phelme. It indeed would be a temporary fix for recorded shows, but the biggest need I have is to fix this for live TV. But thanks, this would work good for recorded shows.
Agreed. I converted several files with the SageTV built in converter to convert them to the DVD Standard format. After conversion, SageTV would play the resulting files fine (and I have used this method to watch files that are not being replayed in the upcoming schedule to rerecord), however this still does not allow for Live TV or playback of the original recording with SageTV. So, it looks like everything so far will play the recorded files except SageTV extenders and Client. It is really strange that everything can play them except SageTV. Just interesting that no other media player has any issues with the files.
Clients: 2xHD300, 2xHD200, 2xPS, Client
SageTV/Plugins: v7.1.9, SageDCT, SRE, Comm Det, Jetty, Web Server, Mob Web, PlayOn, E/D Fav, Fav Ex, MF Stop, Enc Names
Old 06-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I found that Sage's built-in Convert feature works really well I have it convert to AppleTV High Quality [Widescreen]. Just select a show and find the Convert option in Advanced. The show lands right next to the original, but the icons in the interface are slightly different and the channel name will be missing from the details.