SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks I will wait.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Why am I getting high CPU Utilization with SageDCT?

I'm getting combined CPU Utilization nearing 100% when trying to make 2 or more simultaneous recordings with HDHR Prime and SageDCT. When using HDHR3 the total CPU Usage settles at less than 10%, however as soon as I introduce a SageDCT tuner it spikes.

I read through some other forum threads dealing with this problem and nothing seems to point to my issues. There was one suggestion of eliminating the Wiz.bin file in order to rule that out as the cause, but doing so did not help.

See attached screen shot of my processes with 2 tuners recording simultaneously. Actually, it's the same with only one SageDCT tuner.

I posted this as a separate thread in this hardware forum, but no responses, so I moved this question to here.

Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated. My server specs are shown in my signature below.

Thanks,
Ron

Last edited by Ron; 03-19-2013 at 05:31 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:20 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
I'm getting combined CPU Utilization nearing 100% when trying to make 2 or more simultaneous recordings with HDHR Prime and SageDCT. When using HDHR3 the total CPUa Usage settles at less than 10%, however as soon as I introduce a SageDCT tuner it spikes.

I read through some other forum threads dealing with this problem and nothing seems to point to my issues. There was one suggestion of eliminating the Wiz.bin file in order to rule that out as the cause, but doing so did not help.

See attached screen shot of my processes with 2 tuners recording simultaneously. Actually, it's the same with only one SageDCT tuner.
You don't want to "eliminate" your Wiz.bin, that's the heart of everything you've ever recorded or will record.

It's likely your network interface. Can't tell from your jpeg, you'll need to sort by CPU (click on the column) to see what's using the processor the most. It probably is SageDCT using the CPU, but it still is likely the interface which is truly at fault (I went through the same thing).

If you have PCI express slots get an Intel Gigabit NIC since it does the best job off of offloading the packet handling and saving your CPU. Don't settle for a RealTek based card because its $10-15 cheaper.
Client: HD300, Asus Pundit P1-AH1, AMD 3800+ X2 CPU, 1 GB RAM, 6150 graphics, ArcSoft decoders
Backup: Synology
SageTV version: FINAL
Old 06-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Phelme:
That's what I've been thinking might be the problem. Currently I'm using the onboard NiC but I have an Intel PCI Express-1 gigabit card on order and that was going to be my next step.

I will post my results here once the card is swapped out.

Thanks,
Ron
Old 06-02-2012, 11:46 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
No.

It's the #s that identify the desired a/v streams in the MPTS. It was an issue early on where Sage's demuxer filter couldn't play the files. Since it works in other apps, I'd guess that it's a manifestation of the same issue.

Best bet is to open a support request, provide a sample file and cross your fingers.
That's very depressing. I was under the impression that Sage was no longer being officially supported. The forums were left open for us to discuss our own solutions. Bummer.
Server: Gigabyte EP43-UD3L; Intel Core2Duo E5200; 4 GB DDR2 RAM; NVidia GeForce 9400GT; 6 tuners: Hauppauge HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC/QAM combo, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual Hybrid QAM, HD Homerun Prime (using SageDCT); 3.06TB total space: Seagate 160 GB, Maxtor 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 400GB, Hitachi 2 TB
Extender: HD200
Netgear MCAB1001 MoCA Coax-Ethernet Adapter Kit
Old 06-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparhawk6 View Post
That's very depressing. I was under the impression that Sage was no longer being officially supported. The forums were left open for us to discuss our own solutions. Bummer.
Did you try turning off the SageTV Demuxer in the registry and using an alternative?
Old 06-03-2012, 12:52 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
SageTV is still supported. The problem is that bug fixes will be hard to come by.

If you can get me a sample of the file, I can ask.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:24 PM
SageTVaholic

What kind of files does Sagetv and SAGEDCT create ts or does sagetv encode them as mpg? like it usually does?
Old 06-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
What kind of files does Sagetv and SAGEDCT create ts or does sagetv encode them as mpg? like it usually does?
Ts
Old 06-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have asked this before but only got a couple of replies, so I will ask it a different way. Does anyone get halts detected with the prime that is using windows 7 as there OS or is it just a windows XP thing. If so I will try windows 7 and see if it goes away. I did replace the network card with an intel gigabyte card but still get the occasional halt detected.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:22 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
My Cable card is Due on Monday morning.... should I install it as a QAM tuner to test it?.... will this cause problems when I switch to cablecard..

Or should I wait impatiently until monday?
I just got a Prime last week. When I called Comcast, they told me that they could not mail out a self-install kit. They said I could pick one up at a local office, but they could not verify if any of the local offices had any in stock, so they offered to send out a tech to do the install for free. Since they were sending a tech out, I wanted to have things lined-up in advance.

I already had an HDHomerun (Dual), but I had not updated the software in over two years. The Prime uses the same software, so my first step was to download and install the latest software from SiliconDust and make sure my old HDHomerun still worked OK (It did).

1. Backup Sage
2. Download latest software from SiliconDust
3. Install SiliconDust Software
4. Make sure Sage still works
5. Connect all wires to the HDHR Prime
6. Run the HDHR setup program - it should find the Prime
7. Find the link for your HDHR Prime's webpage (you should be able to get to it from the GUIConfig software) and click it. It should show the Prime is there, but inactive (no cable card detected).
8. Wait for the cable installer (or self-install kit).
9. Power-off Prime, Install Cable Card, Power-On Prime.
10. Go back to the HDHR Prime's Webpage to check the status - it should detect the card and give some id codes. These codes need to be called in to the cable company (by you or the installer) to get things activated.
11. Use the SiliconDust software to download the channel guide (this goes very fast - just a couple of seconds). The first column shows the channels as clickable links. If you click one, it launches the QuickView software to preview the channel. This is the easiest way to check if things are working.
12. Download SageDCT. Install it and get Sage setup after the cable guy leaves.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 06-04-2012, 08:31 AM
SageTVaholic

Thank You very much... for this info... Yes the tech will be here between 8:am and 10:am. I have done all the steps up to the point of waiting for the tech.

Last edited by nyplayer; 06-04-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:09 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelme View Post
Did you try turning off the SageTV Demuxer in the registry and using an alternative?
Without instructions on how to do that, that's a bit over my head.
Server: Gigabyte EP43-UD3L; Intel Core2Duo E5200; 4 GB DDR2 RAM; NVidia GeForce 9400GT; 6 tuners: Hauppauge HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC/QAM combo, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual Hybrid QAM, HD Homerun Prime (using SageDCT); 3.06TB total space: Seagate 160 GB, Maxtor 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 400GB, Hitachi 2 TB
Extender: HD200
Netgear MCAB1001 MoCA Coax-Ethernet Adapter Kit
Old 06-04-2012, 10:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
I just got a Prime last week. When I called Comcast, they told me that they could not mail out a self-install kit. They said I could pick one up at a local office, but they could not verify if any of the local offices had any in stock, so they offered to send out a tech to do the install for free. Since they were sending a tech out, I wanted to have things lined-up in advance.

I already had an HDHomerun (Dual), but I had not updated the software in over two years. The Prime uses the same software, so my first step was to download and install the latest software from SiliconDust and make sure my old HDHomerun still worked OK (It did).

1. Backup Sage
2. Download latest software from SiliconDust
3. Install SiliconDust Software
4. Make sure Sage still works
5. Connect all wires to the HDHR Prime
6. Run the HDHR setup program - it should find the Prime
7. Find the link for your HDHR Prime's webpage (you should be able to get to it from the GUIConfig software) and click it. It should show the Prime is there, but inactive (no cable card detected).
8. Wait for the cable installer (or self-install kit).
9. Power-off Prime, Install Cable Card, Power-On Prime.
10. Go back to the HDHR Prime's Webpage to check the status - it should detect the card and give some id codes. These codes need to be called in to the cable company (by you or the installer) to get things activated.
11. Use the SiliconDust software to download the channel guide (this goes very fast - just a couple of seconds). The first column shows the channels as clickable links. If you click one, it launches the QuickView software to preview the channel. This is the easiest way to check if things are working.
12. Download SageDCT. Install it and get Sage setup after the cable guy leaves.
This helped a lot setup took 20 minutes Install and activation.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Without instructions on how to do that, that's a bit over my head.
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...23&postcount=5
Old 06-04-2012, 12:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Oh well everything was going good except I cannot get my Premium channels. I saw where this happens a lot with comcast. I can get 2-31 but not my subscription channels. Will see in the next hour if this is fixed.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Oh well everything was going good except I cannot get my Premium channels. I saw where this happens a lot with comcast. I can get 2-31 but not my subscription channels. Will see in the next hour if this is fixed.
I've had that happen before. They had to re-init the MCARD to resolve the issue, just took a bit to figure out that (for whatever reason) it wouldn't receive the message when located behind my moca adapter.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
I've had that happen before. They had to re-init the MCARD to resolve the issue.......
Same
Old 06-04-2012, 05:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

Alright, got my card activated and can view the channels via the HDHomeRun software preview function. Installed SageDCT and fired up SageTV service.

Not detecting any tuners yet... what else do I need to do?

*Update*

Got the tuners in and can preview channels, but it doesn't give me the option to select guide data.

*Update*

OK, Sage seems to have changed the interface since I did this last. Working nicely now.

Last edited by GTwannabe; 06-04-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:36 AM
SageTVaholic

Great for you unfortunately for me all I am getting is Clear QAM with the Cable Card. Getting a new Card Today and the technician will also check my signals.