SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeling View Post
Well yeah, but *again* I had no observable problems in WMC, QuickTV, or VLC using a wireless connection. And if you have to buy a specific NIC in order to get the contraption to work, that should be something that's mentioned up front. In my view it's not really a "network" device, if it can't go wireless, and especially if it requires specific network hardware. Wired networks will look like the Stone Age in 10 years.
1) It's quite possible that SageDCT doesn't have the same level of robustness around poor network design as some other products. It isn't intended to work in all scenarios, just the ones that should work (wireless connectivity isn't one of these).
2) You don't need a specific NIC, you just need hardware that works. Intel has an excellent history of delivering solid NICs and drivers that don't suck. Many people (including myself) recommend them not just for network based DCTs but for any activity that requires significant, reliable network connectivity. For e.g., I reviewed a Zacate based system a while back that came with a Realtek NIC. Using the vendor provided NIC drivers it was impossible to watch large files via the network. Upgrading to the latest drivers from Realtek's website resolved that issue, but not enough to maintain multiple streams at an acceptable rate - how you define "work" matters there.
3) I don't mean to be rude, but your opinion doesn't really change the nature of the thing. We all have the ability to consider a rose not a rose, but by any other name... Labeling things not what they are isn't generally useful, but feel free to continue to do so. I celebrate the contrarian .
4) It's not 10 years from now
5) In 10 years wired networks will still be faster and more reliable, and we most likely continue to have use cases that demand that level of stability
Old 02-03-2012, 01:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
It should start automatically. Is the service not set to do that?

I don't think that's important (I leave it on whatever the defaults are and I don't even have the SD SW installed on my SageTV box).
It seems to run now after a reboot, but I don't know how to set that in the config utility. What's SD SW? South Dakota Shortwave?
Old 02-03-2012, 01:41 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
It seems to run now after a reboot, but I don't know how to set that in the config utility.
It's not exposed in the config utility. The installer configures the service to run "Automatically" during setup.

Quote:
What's SD SW? South Dakota Shortwave?
SiliconDust software.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
It seems to run now after a reboot, but I don't know how to set that in the config utility. What's SD SW? South Dakota Shortwave?
SiliconDust software.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
1) It's quite possible that SageDCT doesn't have the same level of robustness around poor network design as some other products. It isn't intended to work in all scenarios, just the ones that should work (wireless connectivity isn't one of these).
2) You don't need a specific NIC, you just need hardware that works. Intel has an excellent history of delivering solid NICs and drivers that don't suck. Many people (including myself) recommend them not just for network based DCTs but for any activity that requires significant, reliable network connectivity. For e.g., I reviewed a Zacate based system a while back that came with a Realtek NIC. Using the vendor provided NIC drivers it was impossible to watch large files via the network. Upgrading to the latest drivers from Realtek's website resolved that issue, but not enough to maintain multiple streams at an acceptable rate - how you define "work" matters there.
3) I don't mean to be rude, but your opinion doesn't really change the nature of the thing. We all have the ability to consider a rose not a rose, but by any other name... Labeling things not what they are isn't generally useful, but feel free to continue to do so. I celebrate the contrarian .
4) It's not 10 years from now
5) In 10 years wired networks will still be faster and more reliable, and we most likely continue to have use cases that demand that level of stability
I don't know about ten years, but the clear trend is from tracked, piped, and wired to trackless, pipeless, and wireless. I don't think wired networks will be used in the home at all (or at least not more than 10%), though they may still be used at the infrastructure level for quite awhile. But that's just my opinion, based on observation, and a PhD minor in science and tech policy. I don't think anything you can do will alter that trend very much. (Actually, who knows? Maybe you'll make the breakthrough that makes wired communication a horse-and-buggy technology.)

As for this wireless application I think you're obviously right that DCT doesn't have the same level of robustness. In this case I think such robustness is a *big* asset. But it's also something that Sage could overcome if it goes back into active development at some point.

Last edited by freewheeling; 02-03-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:07 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I don't know about ten years, but the clear trend is from tracked, piped, and wired to trackless, pipeless, and wireless. I don't think wired networks will be used in the home at all (or at least not more than 10%), though they may still be used at the infrastructure level for quite awhile. But that's just my opinion, based on observation, and a PhD minor in science and tech policy. I don't think anything you can do will alter that trend very much.
There is a trend in delivering faster wireless tech, but there's also a trend in delivering faster wired tech. When I was a CES a few weeks ago, some of the more interesting developments were around vendors working on better ways to leverage the existing wires in the home for delivering content; clearly they recognize the limitations of WiFi if that's where they are going in the next few years.

Also, having done some home shopping recently I was pleasantly surprised to find that there is a trend in installing Cat5 into homes as they are built (even the budget ones).

TBC I'm not saying that at some point in the future wireless networking won't be up to this task; just that it isn't now, and won't be in the near term.

Quote:
As for this wireless application I think you're obviously right that DCT doesn't have the same level of robustness. In this case I think such robustness is a *big* asset. But it's also something that Sage could overcome if it goes back into active development at some point.
I think it would be a waste of time and energy. I seriously doubt that anyone would spend more than a cursory amount of time trying to support multiple cable streams over WiFi.

Either way, I'm not going to rewrite SageDCT to support the use case so it's moot.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
It's not exposed in the config utility. The installer configures the service to run "Automatically" during setup.

SiliconDust software.
The designation from within the HDHRP setup program did seem to make a difference to Windows Media Center. If I set SageTV as the main app WMC would no longer be aware of the tuners. Well, it was intermittent actually.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:24 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
The designation from within the HDHRP setup program did seem to make a difference to Windows Media Center. If I set SageTV as the main app WMC would no longer be aware of the tuners. Well, it was intermittent actually.
I mean to SageDCT. You don't even need to have the app installed for SageDCT to work.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:32 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I mean to SageDCT. You don't even need to have the app installed for SageDCT to work.
Interesting. I noticed that ShowAnalyzer is working in Commercial Detector too. I figured that wasn't even a possibility since running the SA GUI didn't seem to produce any results. I just assumed it wouldn't work in SageTV, so I set it up to use Comskip. But I couldn't get Comskip to work, and noticed that the file I processed with the ShowAnalyzer GUI had identified the commercials so I just tripped the toggle and switched to SA. It's processing *most* of the files, though I can't say it's getting all of them. The ShowAnalyzer software hasn't been updated in over two years, so it's sort of odd to find that in works on these Prime files.

(BTW, most of the folks on the Dragon Global forum seem to think the Prime files are encrypted so can't be processed by SA. They probably were encrypted in the pipe, but the point of the cable card is to decrypt them... and people don't seem to grasp that.)

Last edited by freewheeling; 02-04-2012 at 12:37 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
(BTW, most of the folks on the Dragon Global forum seem to think the Prime files are encrypted so can't be processed by SA. They probably were encrypted in the pipe, but the point of the cable card is to decrypt them... and people don't seem to grasp that.)
That's because most of the people on the Dragon Global forum are Windows Media Center users. They don't understand that there can be encryption free functionality.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:20 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
The ShowAnalyzer software hasn't been updated in over two years, so it's sort of odd to find that in works on these Prime files.
The files are TS so for single program transport streams it will work fine. SA chokes on multi program transport streams though.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
The files are TS so for single program transport streams it will work fine. SA chokes on multi program transport streams though.
What are those? What does "program" mean in this context? Not like TV program? Actually, it's not clear to me what's going on. Some programs don't seem to ever get de-commercialized, but that might be because there's a queue backup. However, some "programs" seem to get processed in real time as they're recorded, and others aren't. I'd like so see ShowAnalyzer brought up to date. It doesn't seem fair to charge a full price for a program that the developers seem to have abandoned even though it works acceptably well. Comskip seems still under active development, but it doesn't work as well.

Last edited by freewheeling; 02-04-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Comskip seems still under active development, but it doesn't work as well.
Contribute to get the "donator's version" of Comskip if you want the latest. And it works great for most of us.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
What are those? What does "program" mean in this context? Not like TV program? Actually, it's not clear to me what's going on. Some programs don't seem to ever get de-commercialized, but that might be because there's a queue backup. However, some "programs" seem to get processed in real time as they're recorded, and others aren't. I'd like so see ShowAnalyzer brought up to date. It doesn't seem fair to charge a full price for a program that the developers seem to have abandoned even though it works acceptably well. Comskip seems still under active development, but it doesn't work as well.
You are correct. Program in this context means something different.

I can't recommend paying for SA at this point. It's safe to assume that it is dead.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:52 PM
SageTVaholic

In the context of a television broadcast a transport stream is what is sent over the air on a single channel/frequency or a single cable channel/frequency. That transport stream can include multiple program streams being broadcast simultaneously. In the case of an OTA broadcast that will include their primary "channel" and all of the "sub-channels" that are on the same frequency. For example our local ABC affiliate here in Oklahoma City has their main ABC transmission in 720p and then ThisTV at 480i being broadcast both on the same channel/frequency. The entire broadcast is encapsulated in a transport stream and each sub-channel is a separate program stream. The same is true for cable channels but they usually have different networks being broadcast on the same frequency.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Sage User

I need some help in getting my Prime running. Here is what I have done so far.
Prime is activated and with Quick-Tv can watch the channels without a problem. I have installed SageDCT. In SageDCT I can use the test tab and everything seems to function. I can record a channel and I do see the file being created and can play it. By the way, my sage server is windows server 2003 and SageDCT is installed on another computer running Windows 7 64bit. On the Sage side, I can add the tuners. That seems to go without a hitch. My issue is when I go to tune a channel I get no signal. In SageDCT, I have turned on verbose logging and inspecting it looks like there might be a permission issue with getting access to area to store the video file. I have 2 different logs. One is where I have replace path with M:\TV and one with replace path is empty. I have checked the permission of the SageDCT service and it is using an account that has administrator rights and I use the same account in the service tab in SageDCT. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: txt SageDCT_1428.txt (26.5 KB, 135 views)
File Type: txt SageDCT_3356.txt (280.5 KB, 123 views)
Old 02-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvitech View Post
I need some help in getting my Prime running. Here is what I have done so far.
Prime is activated and with Quick-Tv can watch the channels without a problem. I have installed SageDCT. In SageDCT I can use the test tab and everything seems to function. I can record a channel and I do see the file being created and can play it. By the way, my sage server is windows server 2003 and SageDCT is installed on another computer running Windows 7 64bit. On the Sage side, I can add the tuners. That seems to go without a hitch. My issue is when I go to tune a channel I get no signal. In SageDCT, I have turned on verbose logging and inspecting it looks like there might be a permission issue with getting access to area to store the video file. I have 2 different logs. One is where I have replace path with M:\TV and one with replace path is empty. I have checked the permission of the SageDCT service and it is using an account that has administrator rights and I use the same account in the service tab in SageDCT. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The biggest problem is that you're using PBDA capture, which doesn't work w/ the PRIME.

Secondly, "Replace Path: M:\TV does not exist" means that the service can't find M:.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:16 PM
SageTVaholic

You want to use UNC paths and make sure the SageDCT is running with a network ID and not as localservice.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Sage User

The biggest problem is that you're using PBDA capture, which doesn't work w/ the PRIME.

Currently I have that turned off but I still have the same results...

Secondly, "Replace Path: M:\TV does not exist" means that the service can't find M:.

The computer that SageDCT runs that is a valid path. I have tried it with the UNC name and a mapped drive letter M:\TV. From the computer I can browse to M:\TV or the UNC path.

You want to use UNC paths and make sure the SageDCT is running with a network ID and not as localservice

The SageDCT service is set to use the administrator login account and not the local service.

Question I do have, in the service Tab of SageDCT it will show the account name and password field. What does this refer to? Also what does the generate credentials button do?
Old 02-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Sage User

Update...

It is working.... using the UNC path in Replace path was the Trick..... I did turn the pdba feature off as well. I did try it without before....

Thanks for the help... Sometimes you need that extra kick......