SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Sage Fanatic

You have to going down a couple menus. I don't quite remember exactly where it is but there was information in one of the webpages about the cable card which had all the numbers. There was also something in the quick start guide about it that came with the prime.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuszkie View Post
You have to going down a couple menus. I don't quite remember exactly where it is but there was information in one of the webpages about the cable card which had all the numbers. There was also something in the quick start guide about it that came with the prime.
Got it, thanks.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

I had an HDHomeRun Prime on order from Amazon, but cancelled it. Discovered that because it uses an mpeg2 video format and doesn't resend lost packets it would have problems on a wireless network. I imagine that H.264 files and packet-loss management could be the main advantages of the Ceton card over HDHRP? Well, and one more tuner as though I really need more than three.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeling View Post
I had an HDHomeRun Prime on order from Amazon, but cancelled it. Discovered that because it uses an mpeg2 video format and doesn't resend lost packets it would have problems on a wireless network. I imagine that H.264 files and packet-loss management could be the main advantages of the Ceton card over HDHRP? Well, and one more tuner as though I really need more than three.
You mean you were going to record from the HD Prime over a wireless bridge? Yikes.
Server: Gigabyte EP43-UD3L; Intel Core2Duo E5200; 4 GB DDR2 RAM; NVidia GeForce 9400GT; 6 tuners: Hauppauge HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC/QAM combo, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual Hybrid QAM, HD Homerun Prime (using SageDCT); 3.06TB total space: Seagate 160 GB, Maxtor 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 400GB, Hitachi 2 TB
Extender: HD200
Netgear MCAB1001 MoCA Coax-Ethernet Adapter Kit
Old 01-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparhawk6 View Post
You mean you were going to record from the HD Prime over a wireless bridge? Yikes.
Yeah, I didn't really understand the mechanics of that. I suppose I could jury-rig a direct connection to my HTPC using a long ethernet cable. That's an option I couldn't use with the Ceton since it literally has to reside inside the HTPC box. However, it's probably just as easy to jury-rig a coax cable so that's really not much of an advantage. Signal strength might suffer from a long coax, but that's about it.

So "anywhere on the network" doesn't really mean that much. You could share recordings made on the Ceton, and HD would probably work better over a wireless network because of the advantages of H.264 over the older technology.

They're still both pretty nifty gadgets.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Received my HDHR Prime
Installed the software and configured the Prime
Picked up M Card from the cable company
Called cable company with the magic numbers and had it successfully paired in 5 minutes
Found no channels marked copy freely, even after talking to a person two weeks ago who told me they were all copy freely
Hopefully I just did something wrong or the cable company can change the copy flag. If not I've just purchased a $200 QAM tuner.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
Received my HDHR Prime
Installed the software and configured the Prime
Picked up M Card from the cable company
Called cable company with the magic numbers and had it successfully paired in 5 minutes
Found no channels marked copy freely, even after talking to a person two weeks ago who told me they were all copy freely
Hopefully I just did something wrong or the cable company can change the copy flag. If not I've just purchased a $200 QAM tuner.
who is your cable provider?

did you restart the computer?
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...&postcount=474
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2

Last edited by mistergq; 01-12-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergq View Post
who is your cable provider?

did you restart the computer?
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...&postcount=474
It's a small cable company in Central Florida, not one of the big nationals.

In the post you linked to you mention doing a reboot after the SageDCT install. I never even got that far. The HDHR config tools (Quick TV) is telling me the channels are copy protected and that I need WMC to view them. I can view the locals but that's about it.

I'll have to call good ol' Carla tomorrow and make my case. (yes, I know many of the employees on a first name basis!) She already told me they were not going to be able to support me if it didn't work because they never even heard of the HDHR Prime until I pointed it out to them.

OT, but funny. When I go back to the cable company "headquarters" I'm going to take pictures and post them. The place looks like a cross between Sanford and Son and Green Acres When I was there yesterday I had to go through what appeared to be a used horse barn to get to the bathroom which looked like it hadn't been cleaned since 1960.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:38 AM
Sage Advanced User

keep up the good fight

Tom,

Comcast did the same thing to me until I spoke with the right person (aka knowledgeable tech - not to be confused with about 20 unknowlegeable techs I spoke with first). Interestingly, most of the Comcast cable card folks I spoke with knew about the Centon card, and only about 1/2 of those knew about the Prime box.

The "paring" was fine, I could get the locals like you're seeing, but everything else read either:
"You're not authorized to view this channel"
or
"the station is flagged copy-once"

The knowledgeable tech told me even with bad paring I should be able to get the locals. He called someone internally who reset a DAK and I was on my way (BTW: I did remind this guy that I've spent over $23K with Comcast over the last 18 years.) He told me if that didn't work, then I'd need another M Card.

I wouldn't give up on this until you speak with a high-level person who knows what they're talking about, even if it ends with "yes, we intentionally lock down everything..."

Good luck,
john
Old 01-13-2012, 10:05 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmdxtv View Post
Tom,

Comcast did the same thing to me until I spoke with the right person (aka knowledgeable tech - not to be confused with about 20 unknowlegeable techs I spoke with first). Interestingly, most of the Comcast cable card folks I spoke with knew about the Centon card, and only about 1/2 of those knew about the Prime box.

The "paring" was fine, I could get the locals like you're seeing, but everything else read either:
"You're not authorized to view this channel"
or
"the station is flagged copy-once"

The knowledgeable tech told me even with bad paring I should be able to get the locals. He called someone internally who reset a DAK and I was on my way (BTW: I did remind this guy that I've spent over $23K with Comcast over the last 18 years.) He told me if that didn't work, then I'd need another M Card.

I wouldn't give up on this until you speak with a high-level person who knows what they're talking about, even if it ends with "yes, we intentionally lock down everything..."

Good luck,
john
John,

I just got off the phone with a tech who knew what he was talking about. He told me they have no control over the copy status, they just pass on whatever they get from "the broadcaster". He said "yes, the big cable companies can control that flag, we can't". He did tell me that their DVR worked for ALL of the channels, including premiums like PPV and adult content.

My next step is to get into the setup menu on the motorola box I have to see if the flag is set or not. I have the feeling that it is set because the Prime seems to be paired and installed properly and QuickTV is clearly telling me it's copy protected.

So evidentally the first person I spoke with wasn't lieing about not setting the copy flag, they just didn't know the whole story.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Sage Fanatic

Tom,

That just sucks! I feel for you! I was fortunate to have all my flags set right from day 1. (probably one of the few)

Hope you can at least get firewire recording working ok.

Jim
Old 01-13-2012, 06:21 PM
SageTVaholic

I just went through a bunch of the channels using the HDHR setup program and QuickTV. I get the correct error message when I try to watch a channel I do not pay for (You are not subscribed.....) Of the remaining channels some play just fine (locals), some say they are copy protected and others just don't play at all (black screen in QuickTV). What's the significance of a black screen?

Old 01-13-2012, 06:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
John,

I just got off the phone with a tech who knew what he was talking about. He told me they have no control over the copy status, they just pass on whatever they get from "the broadcaster". He said "yes, the big cable companies can control that flag, we can't". He did tell me that their DVR worked for ALL of the channels, including premiums like PPV and adult content.

My next step is to get into the setup menu on the motorola box I have to see if the flag is set or not. I have the feeling that it is set because the Prime seems to be paired and installed properly and QuickTV is clearly telling me it's copy protected.

So evidentally the first person I spoke with wasn't lieing about not setting the copy flag, they just didn't know the whole story.

That's odd that a small, local cable company would be forced to impose a more restrictive flag than a large cable company. Are the big cable companies paying more to the broadcasters for that privilege? Why would they do that?
Server: Gigabyte EP43-UD3L; Intel Core2Duo E5200; 4 GB DDR2 RAM; NVidia GeForce 9400GT; 6 tuners: Hauppauge HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC/QAM combo, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual Hybrid QAM, HD Homerun Prime (using SageDCT); 3.06TB total space: Seagate 160 GB, Maxtor 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 400GB, Hitachi 2 TB
Extender: HD200
Netgear MCAB1001 MoCA Coax-Ethernet Adapter Kit
Old 01-13-2012, 07:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparhawk6 View Post
That's odd that a small, local cable company would be forced to impose a more restrictive flag than a large cable company. Are the big cable companies paying more to the broadcasters for that privilege? Why would they do that?
No idea, but at this point I have little hope it will be changed.

The only bright side is that one of the QAM tuners on my old HDHR died so at least I can replace it with the new Prime.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

You want to compare stories of pairing/activating/"hit"ing the device with small cable companies? It took an FCC complaint with Suddenlink West Texas before they would activate the CC (they kept saying "they did not support the device" and "they can block any device on their network they want" - there is a thread on SD forum if you want to see the details! http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12012

Now, I can not get SageDCT to get any video... For the past week I have been using HDHR3CC as a simple QAM tuner and it worked great for that. But, I want to record the rest of my channels (which are ALL copy freely - I do not subscribe to any premiums).

I am currently using Win7x64. Sage 7.1.9. SageDCT 2.2.0. I can tune QAM channels in Sage no problem via HDHR and HDHR3CC. The log is filled with this entry repeated:

2012/01/14 13:30:22.93 : Startup Error: Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {7A10E1E1-F430-11D2-8E75-00104B93CF06} failed due to the following error: 80040154. - 0 - HDHomeRun Prime Tuner 13122841-2
2012/01/14 13:30:26.02 : Startup Error: Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {7A10E1E1-F430-11D2-8E75-00104B93CF06} failed due to the following error: 80040154. - 0 - HDHomeRun Prime Tuner 13122841-1
2012/01/14 13:30:26.31 : Startup Error: Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {7A10E1E1-F430-11D2-8E75-00104B93CF06} failed due to the following error: 80040154. - 0 - HDHomeRun Prime Tuner 13122841-0

As a note, WMC is disabled on the computer. Windows Firewall is enabled. Ports 6970-6979 are open.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by loomdog32 View Post
You want to compare stories of pairing/activating/"hit"ing the device with small cable companies? It took an FCC complaint with Suddenlink West Texas before they would activate the CC (they kept saying "they did not support the device" and "they can block any device on their network they want" - there is a thread on SD forum if you want to see the details! http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12012
My little cable company had no issues giving me the cable card and getting it paired, that took about 5 minutes. The problem I have is that practically none of the channels are copy freely and the cable company is telling me there is nothing they can do about it.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
John,

This is BS. Programmer contracts only have copy once required for premiums, everything else is chosen by the MSO. If its a small operator, they may get the video from someone who already sets the bits, but they should have the equipment to change that.

Ask to talk to the chief engineer, and threaten to file a complaint with the FCC.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
My little cable company had no issues giving me the cable card and getting it paired, that took about 5 minutes. The problem I have is that practically none of the channels are copy freely and the cable company is telling me there is nothing they can do about it.
Getting my CC "paired" was not an issue.

Everything not-encrypted showed unspecified without the cold hit - which they more or less refused to send without a veteran tech requesting it - which took an FCC complaint for them to send.

If more people knew what they were susposte to be getting from their cable/sat companies; Then actually requested/demanded them... Well, we wouldn't have the joke of service most of us receive.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnoboy View Post
This is BS. Programmer contracts only have copy once required for premiums, everything else is chosen by the MSO. If its a small operator, they may get the video from someone who already sets the bits, but they should have the equipment to change that.

Ask to talk to the chief engineer, and threaten to file a complaint with the FCC.
That's what I wanted to know, thanks. I didn't want to stir up things at the cable company only to find out there really wasn't anything they could do about it.

What equipment do they use to change the flag? I'm asking so I can sound at least partially knowledgeable when I talk to the engineer. I want to be able to say something like "Oh come on John, all you need to do is make the change on the XXX"

Old 01-15-2012, 06:16 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by loomdog32 View Post
I am currently using Win7x64. Sage 7.1.9. SageDCT 2.2.0. I can tune QAM channels in Sage no problem via HDHR and HDHR3CC. The log is filled with this entry repeated:

2012/01/14 13:30:22.93 : Startup Error: Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {7A10E1E1-F430-11D2-8E75-00104B93CF06} failed due to the following error: 80040154. - 0 - HDHomeRun Prime Tuner 13122841-2
2012/01/14 13:30:26.02 : Startup Error: Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {7A10E1E1-F430-11D2-8E75-00104B93CF06} failed due to the following error: 80040154. - 0 - HDHomeRun Prime Tuner 13122841-1
2012/01/14 13:30:26.31 : Startup Error: Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {7A10E1E1-F430-11D2-8E75-00104B93CF06} failed due to the following error: 80040154. - 0 - HDHomeRun Prime Tuner 13122841-0

As a note, WMC is disabled on the computer. Windows Firewall is enabled. Ports 6970-6979 are open.
Don't use PBDA capture unless you regsvr32 the ATI Muxer filter (or at all w/ the PRIME, since it doesn't work).