SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

Firewall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelme View Post
Hello,

The logs from 20111031-02:00:13 show that the stream was stopped because the HDHomeRun PRIME received an ICMP rejection from the PC because the port it was attempting to stream to was closed. This would normally indicate that the application told the HDHomeRun to start streaming before the application started listening for the stream.

Silicondust Support
I would also make sure that all of the SageDCT and Silicondust executables ("hdhomerun service" executable) were allowed in both directions (inbound and outbound) through the Windows Firewall.

If an outbound instruction is given (which would be accepted by the firewall), and it starts up an external process, the resulting output may be blocked by the default Windows firewall setup. The firewall could identify any inbound process as hostile if it returns communication by a different thread.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncote0 View Post
I would also make sure that all of the SageDCT and Silicondust executables ("hdhomerun service" executable) were allowed in both directions (inbound and outbound) through the Windows Firewall.

If an outbound instruction is given (which would be accepted by the firewall), and it starts up an external process, the resulting output may be blocked by the default Windows firewall setup. The firewall could identify any inbound process as hostile if it returns communication by a different thread.
I'm currently using Comodo firewall and all ports are open between the Prime and SageTV server. But I appreciate the concern.

Based on info from SD, I'm now logging ICMP events. It appears to be a timing issue problem between the Prime and SageDCT when there are back-to-back recordings; one stream is being torn down and a new one being created within milliseconds of each other. What causes the failure is the PC is generating an ICMP "Destination port unreachable" (Code 3) packet in response to the Prime opening the recording stream, because the port isn't yet ready for listening (we're assuming). The Prime's logic is to bail here because it can't reach the port to stream to. Comodo says the ICMP is generated by the OS and that makes sense as it is handling the network operation.

One can see how this can get worse when all three tuners are going: three files have to be closed and flushed, ports closed down and reopened, the Prime tuned to 3 new channels, new files created etc. There's a lot going and so I can see how the system might not be ready with all new listening ports in the space of a second.

Now the question is, how can this be fixed?
Client: HD300, Asus Pundit P1-AH1, AMD 3800+ X2 CPU, 1 GB RAM, 6150 graphics, ArcSoft decoders
Backup: Synology
SageTV version: FINAL
Old 11-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

Red face Interesting

Quote:
Now the question is, how can this be fixed?
I'll leave that to the geniuses (or genii) at Silicondust. Sounds like they may have to reverse the order of the prime communication. Another option would be to end recording and then wait like 10 seconds (maybe user configurable) to close the port. The close command would include a check for a data stream and close if none or do nothing if data stream exists.

To reset the prime when it has this problem, you might be able to open HDHomerun Prime setup utility and click apply (you may have to change the log level to make apply an option, I do not remember). You will get a message that it will interupt recordings on ALL HDHR's (including the primes), but it should allow all HDHR's to continue/start recording correctly.

Last edited by doncote0; 11-01-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Quote:
Not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file...

Hmmm...
Are you running something old like XP or 2000?
It definitely works on 7, and probably Vista and 2008

[Edit Vista and above]
http://commandwindows.com/vista-tips.htm

Last edited by mikejaner; 11-01-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I'll leave that to the geniuses at Silicondust. Sounds like they may have to reverse the order of the prime communication. Another option would be to end recording and then wait like 10 seconds (maybe user configurable) to close the port. The close command would include a check for a data stream and close if none or do nothing if data stream exists.
FYI. I'm trying a new test build from Andy that tries to address this by re-jiggering the sequence of calls and we'll see how that goes. Thanks Andy!!!

I'm still not convinced this couldn't be handled differently on SD's end. SD has set themselves up for a very tight time condition here. Logically what they are doing makes sense, but the opportunity for connection failure isn't beyond question. There are W7MC users complaining of similar recording starting problems too that may or not be related to this.
Client: HD300, Asus Pundit P1-AH1, AMD 3800+ X2 CPU, 1 GB RAM, 6150 graphics, ArcSoft decoders
Backup: Synology
SageTV version: FINAL
Old 11-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
FYI. I'm trying a new test build from Andy that tries to address this by re-jiggering the sequence of calls and we'll see how that goes.
Just put up a new build of 2.1 which includes the ability to add more time (in milliseconds, default is 0) to work around the race condition. It also adds the ability to use PBDA based DCT recording instead of the UPnP/RTP method. The main benefit from this is that it will create mpg files that don't have the strange/multiple programs found in the native TS files but tuning is a bit slower.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:38 PM
Sage Expert

Just installed 2.1. When I check the new "Use PBDA Capture (Windows 7 Only", I get an error on click of Save that says "Error: Input string was not in a correct format." I did not mess with the default options... just checked the PBDA check box. Thoughts?
Clients: 1x STP-HD300; 1x Acer Aspire Revo 3610 (Atom/Ion) w/ SageTV client (Win 7, EVR, FSE on)
Old 11-01-2011, 08:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
FYI. I'm trying a new test build from Andy that tries to address this by re-jiggering the sequence of calls and we'll see how that goes. Thanks Andy!!!

I'm still not convinced this couldn't be handled differently on SD's end. SD has set themselves up for a very tight time condition here. Logically what they are doing makes sense, but the opportunity for connection failure isn't beyond question. There are W7MC users complaining of similar recording starting problems too that may or not be related to this.
What time are you setting to help solve the race condition. I see the exact same behavior on my end as well. ? Anybody else can chime in to if u have a value that should work?

What's truly the effect of increasing this time as well, just so we understand what's happening?
Old 11-01-2011, 08:10 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LehighBri View Post
Just installed 2.1. When I check the new "Use PBDA Capture (Windows 7 Only", I get an error on click of Save that says "Error: Input string was not in a correct format." I did not mess with the default options... just checked the PBDA check box. Thoughts?
Bug. Put a "0" in the RTP Delay box or DL again.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustovier View Post
What time are you setting to help solve the race condition. I see the exact same behavior on my end as well. ? Anybody else can chime in to if u have a value that should work?

What's truly the effect of increasing this time as well, just so we understand what's happening?
Ideally you will not need to change this setting at all. I reordered the RTP setup sequence which should fix it, but added the ability to add some extra padding just in case.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:39 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
Bug. Put a "0" in the RTP Delay box or DL again.
Great thanks, that works. I also installed the AVIVO codecs. Now to get PBDA to work, do I stop the service, check the PBDA checkbox, start the service, start Sage and record a show? If so, I do that, but it's still outputting to a .ts file. Should I expect it to output to a .mpg file? And it wasn't working for me so I'm back to using it without PBDA checked.

Before I send you any log files, I just want to confirm the exact steps needed to get PBDA working such that it outputs to a .mpg file.

Thanks!
Clients: 1x STP-HD300; 1x Acer Aspire Revo 3610 (Atom/Ion) w/ SageTV client (Win 7, EVR, FSE on)
Old 11-02-2011, 07:42 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
If so, I do that, but it's still outputting to a .ts file. Should I expect it to output to a .mpg file?
oops

change
Code:
encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=false
to
Code:
encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=true
that said, it's just a cosmetic thing
Old 11-02-2011, 08:14 AM
Sage Expert

Live TV no sound about 5% of the time

every once an a while, I get no sound when changing channels. I have not found this to be in recordings yet but I just installed it yesterday. Anyone else experience it?

Also, I have not experienced any failures in the last 24 hours for about 10 recordings. I will let you know on that too.

Thanks.

2.0 SageDCT
Latest beta HDHR. 20111025?
Old 11-02-2011, 08:15 AM
Sage Expert

When I check the PBDA checkbox, restart sagedct 2.1 as well as Sage, and start a new recording, I do see the respective .mpg file get created, but it never gets bigger than 0 bytes. See attached for the log. Thoughts?
Attached Files
File Type: txt SageDCT_2948.log.txt (301.7 KB, 161 views)
Old 11-02-2011, 09:58 AM
Sage Aficionado

With the new SageDCT 2.1, things have so far been smooth, with no halts (not using PBDA). The true test is over the course of a couple of days, I'm not touching any configs or the server in a meantime.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
When I check the PBDA checkbox, restart sagedct 2.1 as well as Sage, and start a new recording, I do see the respective .mpg file get created, but it never gets bigger than 0 bytes. See attached for the log. Thoughts?
I added more logging to see what's going on. DL 2.1.2.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:40 AM
Sage Aficionado

Andy, is the PBDA support to eventually allow for this to work with JRiver? Just wondering what it would take to move to JRiver as an example. I know you've been working with those guys, seems like the best/most viable alternative to Sage right now.

I don't know if this is said enough, but thank you for your hard work, it is greatly appreciated!
Software: Sage Server 7.1.9 on Windows 7 (Virtualized in ESXi)
Clients: i3-2105, ASRock Z68 Pro3-M, 4GB DDR3 1600, 64GB SATA III (OS), 2TB WD Green (Recording), PNY GT 430 // 2 x HD-300
Old 11-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaOConnor View Post
Andy, is the PBDA support to eventually allow for this to work with JRiver?
They are unrelated.

I am trying to get them to add better TV support and an external tuner model so 3rd parties can have more options with it.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaOConnor View Post
Andy, is the PBDA support to eventually allow for this to work with JRiver? Just wondering what it would take to move to JRiver as an example. I know you've been working with those guys, seems like the best/most viable alternative to Sage right now.

I don't know if this is said enough, but thank you for your hard work, it is greatly appreciated!
Yeah J. River looks to be like the best thing there. But it's still not good enough, YET. They are actively developing for it which is very good. I hope it continues to make progress. Andy is right they need to make the liveTv/dvr portion of the app better
Old 11-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file...

Hmmm...
better to use:
ping /n <use this to increase delay> localhost

should provide similar timings across all systems.