SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

New Firmware Release 20111025 for Prime

Recently, I have been having weird problems. When the prime is working, everything is great. Throw in a occasional reboot and the prime would stop working. It has been a little frustrating especially since QuickTV can still tune the channels. I cannot change the merit until this solution is rock solid-which it hasn't been, yet (for me). Spent two hours troubleshooting last night during which I could get at most 1 prime tuner to work correctly. I have tried resetting the prime multiple times, running new scans, re-generating the setup from SageDCT (overwriting the old sage info), resetting, restarting (reboot), removing and reinstalling the primes as sources, stopping, starting and reconfiguring the windows firewall. Limited joy.

Hopefully this will help. Bold items are possible issues that I have been seeing.

Release 20111025
Fix problem where copy-protection could be incorrectly applied to some channels when not required.
Fix problem causing unit to stop responding after a several hundred channel changes.
Fix rare queue stall error communicating with card.
Fix rare trap error.
Rejoin SSDP multicast group when Ethernet link is lost and re-established.

Fix problem causing unit to stop responding after Tuning Adapter was removed/inserted/reset several hundred times.
Stop flashing link LED when connected directly to a PC and communication has been established.
Improvements to diagnostic support.

Last edited by doncote0; 10-25-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:54 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncote0 View Post
Recently, I have been having weird problems. When the prime is working, everything is great. Throw in a occasional reboot and the prime would stop working. It has been a little frustrating especially since QuickTV can still tune the channels. I cannot change the merit until this solution is rock solid-which it hasn't been, yet (for me). Spent two hours troubleshooting last night during which I could get at most 1 prime tuner to work correctly. I have tried resetting the prime multiple times, running new scans, re-generating the setup from SageDCT (overwriting the old sage info), resetting, restarting (reboot), removing and reinstalling the primes as sources, stopping, starting and reconfiguring the windows firewall. Limited joy.

Hopefully this will help. Bold items are possible issues that I have been seeing.

Release 20111025
I still seem to get "Halt" or "Capture Device Failure" system messages at least once a day, even on this latest release. What I guess I don't understand is, why don't I ever get this kind of problem when accessing the Prime through SiliconDust tools like HDHomeRun Config? What do they do differently than the DCT interface; are they addressing the Prime at a lower level?
Client: HD300, Asus Pundit P1-AH1, AMD 3800+ X2 CPU, 1 GB RAM, 6150 graphics, ArcSoft decoders
Backup: Synology
SageTV version: FINAL
Old 10-27-2011, 09:57 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelme View Post
I still seem to get "Halt" or "Capture Device Failure" system messages at least once a day, even on this latest release. What I guess I don't understand is, why don't I ever get this kind of problem when accessing the Prime through SiliconDust tools like HDHomeRun Config? What do they do differently than the DCT interface; are they addressing the Prime at a lower level?
In most cases this a networking or resource issue.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:35 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
In most cases this a networking or resource issue.
Just not sure I buy that or I'd be seeing failures for my HD-PVR Network Encoders too and that never happens. It could be the firewall handling of RTP which is unique to SageDCT. I've been trying out Comodo as an alternative to the built-in one on XP, but so far it appears to have the same failure rate.
Client: HD300, Asus Pundit P1-AH1, AMD 3800+ X2 CPU, 1 GB RAM, 6150 graphics, ArcSoft decoders
Old 10-27-2011, 10:42 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Just not sure I buy that or I'd be seeing failures for my HD-PVR Network Encoders too and that never happens.
1) AVC uses a fraction of the bandwidth required for MPEG2
2) It's not really apples-to-apples except for the network encoder part
3) The potential exists that the root cause of your issues are different from other people. Ultimately it's up to you to do whatever you want. Just relaying the output from many support requests with similar symptoms.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:46 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
1) AVC uses a fraction of the bandwidth required for MPEG2
Accepted. Though I had an original HDHR since they came out and that ran fine.
Quote:
2) It's not really apples-to-apples except for the network encoder part
3) The potential exists that the root cause of your issues are different from other people. Ultimately it's up to you to do whatever you want. Just relaying the output from many support requests with similar symptoms.
Cool. There's just something screwy going on, that's all I'm getting at.

I'll start running with verbose messaging and post logs next time I get a failure if it will help. Thanks!
Old 10-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Sage Icon

I think my problem is with the Prime as there are others posting with issues in the SD forums (using WM7), where multiple tuners going at once sometimes ends up with one or more of them not sending the program stream.

I caught my own today when HDHomeRun Config happened to be up, you could see the channel change correctly on all three tuners, but 2 out of the 3 never started to send the stream. Not until SageTV noticed after a minute that things were wonky and asked SageDCT to try again. SageDCT had been noticing what was going on as well via GetSize, but I've turned "Auto Reset" off and let SageTV itself handle it from up top. Now I see what Andy means by Reset masking the behavior.

It could be that the Prime is somehow missing or flubbing the command to begin the stream when it's trying to handle multiple tuners starting at once. I have the log Andy if you're interested.

I think this has become worse since the September (SiliconDust firmware) releases.

Last edited by phelme; 10-28-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thumbs up Rock Solid - Changing Merits

I shut everything down. Downloaded new Silicondust 20111025 app package and quicktv package (didn't know if it was included).

1. Ran 20111025 updates
2. Opened HDHR Config and scanned for all three CC's
3. Adjusted and applied channel list in HDHR Config. Started service
4. Opened SageDCT and scanned.
5. Created new assignments and saved (static, verbose, reset). Started service.
6. Started SageTV and configured one HDHR Prime with no problem
7. Restarted and configured other two. Problem on test.
8. Restarted and ran batch file to shutdown and restart Sage in case system start timing issue was causing problems.

Success! System has been running solid for three days now with nightly reboots without issue.

STOP SAGE BAT (to edit sage.properties)

taskkill /f /im sagetv.exe
taskkill /f /im sagetvservice.exe
taskkill /f /im sagetvTRANSCODER.exe
net stop SJQTaskClient
net stop "hdhomerun service"
net stop "SageDCT"
dir c:\ /s > nul
exit

RESTART SAGE (bounce.bat)

taskkill /f /im sagetvservice.exe
taskkill /f /im sagetvTRANSCODER.exe
del C:\SageTV\sjqc_winntsvc\logs\*.* /Q
del C:\SageTV\SageTV\jetty\logs\*.* /Q
del C:\SageTV\SageTV\sjq*.log /Q
start "sage" "C:\sagetv\SageTV\SageTV.exe" -startup
net stop "hdhomerun service"
net stop sagedct
net start "hdhomerun service"
net start sagedct
start "sage" "C:\sagetv\SageTV\SageTV.exe" -startup
EXIT

"dir c:\ /s > nul" is an old dos trick to delay progress--on my system it is a 8 to 10 second delay (you may have to adjust yours).

The bounce.bat was key for me. I have the system run it, as a scheduled task, every time a restart happens. It kicks off after the PC has connected to the network.

Last edited by doncote0; 10-29-2011 at 02:30 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:47 PM

Is a cable card needed for Prime to function?

Does Prime need a cable card to function in SageTV or can it run without one?
Old 10-30-2011, 02:15 AM
Sage Aficionado

Lightbulb With Or Without

Quote:
Originally Posted by timconroy View Post
Does Prime need a cable card to function in SageTV or can it run without one?
Yes it can run without one. It will only do the unencryted QAM channels in this mode. It essentially becomes a HDHR without the MCard (cable card).
Old 10-30-2011, 12:31 PM

Test Module: START ERROR

Can someone tell me how to fix an error when i use the test module within sageDCT to test the START command...?
Old 10-31-2011, 05:15 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Quote:
"dir c:\ /s > nul" is an old dos trick to delay progress--on my system it is a 8 to 10 second delay (you may have to adjust yours).
You could just type "timeout /t 10" to delay the batch ten seconds.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:36 AM
Sage Icon

I'm still getting 10-20% failures on recordings when they start (seen as "Halts" within SageTV). Always the same behavior on the Prime: a tuner is successfully tuned to the channel, but no stream is started. I filed a ticket with SiliconDust so hopefully they can gather some diagnostic data that will help.

Anyone else seeing this on 20111025 firmware?
Old 10-31-2011, 11:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

Exclamation Not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaner View Post
You could just type "timeout /t 10" to delay the batch ten seconds.
Why don't you give us an example of the syntax of that?

Remember this is DOS not vbscript.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:51 AM
Sage Aficionado

Wink

Quote:
I'm still getting 10-20% failures on recordings when they start (seen as "Halts" within SageTV). Always the same behavior on the Prime: a tuner is successfully tuned to the channel, but no stream is started. I filed a ticket with SiliconDust so hopefully they can gather some diagnostic data that will help.

Anyone else seeing this on 20111025 firmware?
I am not, but recently when I was fooling around with java heap I noticed the HDHR's (including the prime) were directly affected.

Also, what is the signal/channel (stream?) strength in the HDHR config utility for the channel it was trying to tune? If it is too low, you might want to trace the path, replace cables or get a HD bi-directional amp.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:10 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I am not, but recently when I was fooling around with java heap I noticed the HDHR's (including the prime) were directly affected.
My heap is in the 850MB range. Haven't bumped up against the ceiling in quite a while.

Quote:
Also, what is the signal/channel (stream?) strength in the HDHR config utility for the channel it was trying to tune? If it is too low, you might want to trace the path, replace cables or get a HD bi-directional amp.
This particular channel (DiscoveryHD) runs around 97-100%. I already have a bi-amp inline because my run to the street termination is hellishly long.

WMC7 users are moaning a great deal about the latest SD release with recording failures. They seem to be in worse shape than we are.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

I definately have been seeing a lot more "Halts" in recordings than what I used to have, unfortunately I've been too busy to go into detective mode. I usually just either restart SageDCT (sometimes sagedct will even go into a stopped state), if thats a no go then restart SageTV, and finally if that still doesn't work restart the Prime, and then restart everything else. Usually a restart(or start) of SageDCT or Sage itself fixes the issue.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:39 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Quote:
Why don't you give us an example of the syntax of that?

Remember this is DOS not vbscript.
That is the syntax.
timeout /t 10
Old 11-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaner View Post
That is the syntax.
timeout /t 10
Not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file...

Hmmm...
Old 11-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Sage Icon

Andy, here is a response from SiliconDust after they looked at my logs for the issue I'm having with "Halts":

Hello,

The logs from 20111031-02:00:13 show that the stream was stopped because the HDHomeRun PRIME received an ICMP rejection from the PC because the port it was attempting to stream to was closed. This would normally indicate that the application told the HDHomeRun to start streaming before the application started listening for the stream.

Silicondust Support

Since this is a repeatable problem, it happened again last night while recording "House", it sounds like it's a subtle issue of timing; where the listening port isn't quite ready to accept the stream. Does that sound plausible from your side?

Addendum: The problem is more frequent when it's first tearing down and stopping a recording that happens on the same tuner. Maybe something is happening out of order.

Last edited by phelme; 11-01-2011 at 12:31 PM.