SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Sage Icon

with the new Prime 20111011beta1 my SageDCT process is back in the 30%+ CPU range again when more than one tuner is going. The working set is climbing well above 1 GB again.
Client: HD300, Asus Pundit P1-AH1, AMD 3800+ X2 CPU, 1 GB RAM, 6150 graphics, ArcSoft decoders
Backup: Synology
SageTV version: FINAL
Old 10-13-2011, 06:50 AM
Sage User

How do I know if I need a Tuning Adapter?

I'm on Time-Warner Cable in Rochester, NY. Just received my Prime, have cablecard in hand, and will likely start the install tonight. Is there any way of knowing in advance whether I need a tuning adapter to get HD? I don't have premium services.

Thanks.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:06 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDuckles View Post
I'm on Time-Warner Cable in Rochester, NY. Just received my Prime, have cablecard in hand, and will likely start the install tonight. Is there any way of knowing in advance whether I need a tuning adapter to get HD? I don't have premium services.

Thanks.
If this is any help, I am using "CableVision", a child of Time-Warner in Long Island, and they give the TA for free. Of course most of the upper HD stuff for me is CopyOnce ...

I wish they (CableVision) could have told me this in advance, I would not have bothered with the Prime - when CBSHD is CopyOnce, that's just stupid!

-Skybolt
Old 10-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybolt View Post
when CBSHD is CopyOnce, that's just stupid!

-Skybolt
You might want to check the CCI value on the channel. If CableVision does not set a CCI value and the network has set the RCD flag, the PRIME will see this as a protected channel and block it. However, ClearQAM devices (like the original HDHomeRun) will ignore the RCD flag and let you view it.

I know FiOS does this with some of their ClearQAM channels (PBS, for example). On my setup, I have a lineup with only the ClearQAM channels assigned to my Hauppauge 2250's and another lineup with everything except the ClearQAM channels assigned to my PRIME. See this thread over at SiliconDust for all the details.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:14 PM
Sage Icon

Well, think I found the culprit and it is the firewall on XP. According to this KB article, large send offloading of packets is *broken* in the Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing service with XP and will slow down performance greatly. Their fix? Turn off the service, but of course that breaks SageDCT since it needs the firewall to function (something I'm still not clear about). I'm going to try turning off LSO on the driver and see if that helps. But otherwise I guess I'm screwed unless maybe substituting a third party firewall can work.

BTW Andy, what are the defaults for your RTP and Write buffer sizes? I've been playing around with them so much I've forgotten what they were to begin with. Maybe I can find a happy medium by tuning the buffers, keeping them small, around 8K each, seems to help.
Client: HD300, Asus Pundit P1-AH1, AMD 3800+ X2 CPU, 1 GB RAM, 6150 graphics, ArcSoft decoders
Old 10-13-2011, 12:53 PM
Sage Icon

Good news on the SD front, the new beta they just released fixes the Redistribution Control flag issue that has been preventing many stations from being shown on the Prime (such as ALL my local PBS affiliates).

I guess they finally convinced CableLabs that this was a bug.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:13 AM
Sage Aficionado

babgvant, thanks so much for SageDCT and the help from you and the other folks here on how to get it setup (notably phelme for pointers on the Windows firewall changes needed). I am using it on WHS and it seems to be working fine. I have only had the Prime going for about 24 hours, but I did try recording from all three tuners at once and it worked great. Again, thanks so much.
Clients: 2xHD300, 2xHD200, 2xPS, Client
SageTV/Plugins: v7.1.9, SageDCT, SRE, Comm Det, Jetty, Web Server, Mob Web, PlayOn, E/D Fav, Fav Ex, MF Stop, Enc Names
Old 10-17-2011, 02:33 PM
Sage Icon

I wonder what write and RTP buffer sizes people are running with here. I find I have to run with rather large sizes of write and RTP and even with that, I get "breaking up" of the image when recording to Sage. I'm also getting occasional tuner failure too.

What's interesting is that if I run the SageDCT config app in test mode, running three parallel streams to disk, the SageDCT process runs with a lower CPU rate. About a third at 5-7% compared to 20%. There is defintely some interaction going on when the streams are going to the SageTV service. Maybe a firewall issue?
Old 10-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boolah View Post
You might want to check the CCI value on the channel. If CableVision does not set a CCI value and the network has set the RCD flag, the PRIME will see this as a protected channel and block it. However, ClearQAM devices (like the original HDHomeRun) will ignore the RCD flag and let you view it.

I know FiOS does this with some of their ClearQAM channels (PBS, for example). On my setup, I have a lineup with only the ClearQAM channels assigned to my Hauppauge 2250's and another lineup with everything except the ClearQAM channels assigned to my PRIME. See this thread over at SiliconDust for all the details.
That's good info thanks, while CCI Protection = none, CGMS Protection = protected-rcd and CopyOnce, I don't get it.

Very strange and I have spoken with them several times and they don't even know what I am talking about, only that they don't support the Prime. Goto love cable co's.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelme View Post
I wonder what write and RTP buffer sizes people are running with here. I find I have to run with rather large sizes of write and RTP and even with that, I get "breaking up" of the image when recording to Sage. I'm also getting occasional tuner failure too.

What's interesting is that if I run the SageDCT config app in test mode, running three parallel streams to disk, the SageDCT process runs with a lower CPU rate. About a third at 5-7% compared to 20%. There is defintely some interaction going on when the streams are going to the SageTV service. Maybe a firewall issue?
I am having this same issue. Any ideas?
Old 10-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakrzep View Post
I am having this same issue. Any ideas?
After much experimentation I identified that SageDCT needs to have higher priority over other processes, especially when all tuners are going. If this isn't kept to, breakup of the video would occur as SageDCT tried to keep up.

Comskip and compression processes (like Handbrake) need to have lower priority than SageDCT as to not interfere. I get peaks of 30%+ CPU usage of SageDCT with all tuners going on the Prime, but as long as it is higher on the food chain, things are fine. Figuring that out was the key. Now I set my SJQ4 processes to "Below Normal" or "Idle."

I ended up with 100K write and RTP buffers and that seems to help. I no longer see memory creep either.

I also tried umpteen third party firewalls (OMG, was that a slog!) and in the end am sticking with XP's for now, even with its large send offload bug.

Edit: And of course soon after I post this, I see all isn't settled. I ran some more tests, like watching something in progress that was recording and the SageDCT process started consuming lots more cycles and growing in size again to the 1 GB+ mark. For some reason reading (i.e. viewing) from the same file that is being written to has a highly adverse effect on SageDCT. The trick is not letting SageDCT get stressed when there is already have load on the CPU from other processes, which apparently I haven't licked yet.

Last edited by phelme; 10-20-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:50 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
SiliconDust addressed this in the last beta release, they no longer block based solely on the RCD flag, the CCI now takes precedence as it should. So if it's 0, RCD is ignored.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:26 AM
Sage Icon

Clear QAM Support

This is a little off base but, since I bought the Prime and my Cable co. is mostly CopyOnce, I would like to use the Clear QAM side of the prime.

WMC just sees the "Extra" tunners and notes them as clear qam tunners. Does any one know how to do this with SageDCT?

Thanks,
Skybolt
Old 10-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

New Install

I need some help with a new install of Prime and SageDCT, please....

I'm stuck on "Functioning: false" on the new tuners. Installed latest beta from Silicondust (20111008beta1). Was able to configure the tuners and view all channels with HDHomeRun QuickTV.

Installed SageDCT and configured. Copied output to sage properties. I see the tuners in the configuration; however, I can't get them to a "functioning" state.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 10-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

This was asked earlier and it was said that SageDCT does not support Clear Qam, it uses a different set of protocols. If you want to use the Prime in a copy once situation you will need to use Windows MCE. If you have Fios in your area you could see if they have the flags turned off. So far all the post here seem to indicate that fios is mostly open.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechling-burgh View Post
This was asked earlier and it was said that SageDCT does not support Clear Qam, it uses a different set of protocols. If you want to use the Prime in a copy once situation you will need to use Windows MCE. If you have Fios in your area you could see if they have the flags turned off. So far all the post here seem to indicate that fios is mostly open.
Yeah, it seems that way. Thanks. No FIOS though. Can't seem to find if the Prime can be setup as a regular HDHR3 (Dual Clear QAM). For that matter can't seem to find how to setup a normal HDHR ...
Old 10-21-2011, 11:24 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by themeister View Post
I need some help with a new install of Prime and SageDCT, please....

I'm stuck on "Functioning: false" on the new tuners. Installed latest beta from Silicondust (20111008beta1). Was able to configure the tuners and view all channels with HDHomeRun QuickTV.

Installed SageDCT and configured. Copied output to sage properties. I see the tuners in the configuration; however, I can't get them to a "functioning" state.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill
I'll give it a shot, and guess that maybe the service for SageDCT is not running. For me .20 (SageDCT) does not auto start even with the admin logon. I fI reboot the server I have to manually start the SageDCT service. Other than that it sounds from the little you posted that it should be working.

-Skybolt
Old 10-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

New Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybolt View Post
I'll give it a shot, and guess that maybe the service for SageDCT is not running. For me .20 (SageDCT) does not auto start even with the admin logon. I fI reboot the server I have to manually start the SageDCT service. Other than that it sounds from the little you posted that it should be working.

-Skybolt
Thanks......I found the problem earlier in this thread (which is really hard to navigate due to size). It was that I hadn't checked (Auto Reset) in the SageDCT configuration. The second I clicked that and the service restarted, the tuners went to a "Functioning: true" state. After configuring the EPG, it is all working great (so far).
Old 10-23-2011, 11:05 AM
Sage Advanced User

New Install

I'd just like to comment that I've been waiting for this solution ever since the Prime was announced in January 2010. I've been suffering with just QAM HDTV with the basic HDHomeRun.....and using an internal tuner in the server to pick up the rest of the content with a non-HD STB. My son has a similar set-up and went with multiple USB H.264 tuners, STBs and conversion boxes. He's had nothing but problems with them.

Here's the comment: IT WAS WORTH THE WAIT!!!!!

Many thanks to babgvant for SageDCT. I upgraded Sage, installed several plug-ins, installed the prime, cablecard, all new software, new lineups. It went significantly smoother than I expected, thanks to this forum.

Yesterday, was recording 5 simultaneous college football games, all in HD...2 coming from the old HDHR and 3 coming from the prime. I'm in heaven.

Thanks again to babgvant and all of you out there that support these forums. Oh yea, Silicondust as well.

Sage lives!!!!!
Old 10-23-2011, 11:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by themeister View Post
I'd just like to comment that I've been waiting for this solution ever since the Prime was announced in January 2010. I've been suffering with just QAM HDTV with the basic HDHomeRun.....and using an internal tuner in the server to pick up the rest of the content with a non-HD STB. My son has a similar set-up and went with multiple USB H.264 tuners, STBs and conversion boxes. He's had nothing but problems with them.

Here's the comment: IT WAS WORTH THE WAIT!!!!!

Many thanks to babgvant for SageDCT. I upgraded Sage, installed several plug-ins, installed the prime, cablecard, all new software, new lineups. It went significantly smoother than I expected, thanks to this forum.

Yesterday, was recording 5 simultaneous college football games, all in HD...2 coming from the old HDHR and 3 coming from the prime. I'm in heaven.

Thanks again to babgvant and all of you out there that support these forums. Oh yea, Silicondust as well.

Sage lives!!!!!
That's exactly how I felt when I got it up and running.
Server: Gigabyte EP43-UD3L; Intel Core2Duo E5200; 4 GB DDR2 RAM; NVidia GeForce 9400GT; 6 tuners: Hauppauge HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC/QAM combo, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual Hybrid QAM, HD Homerun Prime (using SageDCT); 3.06TB total space: Seagate 160 GB, Maxtor 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 400GB, Hitachi 2 TB
Extender: HD200
Netgear MCAB1001 MoCA Coax-Ethernet Adapter Kit