SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have followed all the recommendations of what've i've read. It's hard to remember where is saw them since there isn't anyone one place with setup directions. I did see something on a site about setting up SageDCT with ceton tuners so i basically used that. I am not running SageTV V7 but V6.3.*

Basically, i tested recording functionality with WMC so i could make sure it was working and it was. So i disabled the WMC service and configured HDPrime to use SageTV as the application.

Then in SageDCT i created assignments and added them to the sage.properties file which i have attached to this post. I added the Prime tuners to the video sources in SageTV and set it up to use new channel program guide assignments.

Question: Can you preview or watch a Prime tuner channel within SageTV or only record them?

The Firewall service is shut off on my server so there is nothing blocking ports.

I have, SageDCT, the HDHomeRun Service and SageTV running on the same server.

There is something in the SageTV configuraton that is preventing it from using the prime correctly. This should work.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SageProperties.zip (97.8 KB, 165 views)

Capture Devices: HDHomerunXTEND, HDHomerunPrime
Old 12-02-2014, 02:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandypuff View Post
I have followed all the recommendations of what've i've read. It's hard to remember where is saw them since there isn't anyone one place with setup directions. I did see something on a site about setting up SageDCT with ceton tuners so i basically used that. I am not running SageTV V7 but V6.3.*

Basically, i tested recording functionality with WMC so i could make sure it was working and it was. So i disabled the WMC service and configured HDPrime to use SageTV as the application.

Then in SageDCT i created assignments and added them to the sage.properties file which i have attached to this post. I added the Prime tuners to the video sources in SageTV and set it up to use new channel program guide assignments.

Question: Can you preview or watch a Prime tuner channel within SageTV or only record them?

The Firewall service is shut off on my server so there is nothing blocking ports.

I have, SageDCT, the HDHomeRun Service and SageTV running on the same server.

There is something in the SageTV configuraton that is preventing it from using the prime correctly. This should work.
Question are you sure your Cable channels are not DRM'D? Can you view the channels in the HD Homerun software? I am not sure if Sagedct etc works with Sage 6 maybe someone that is running 6 can help you... As I can't because I do not run Sage 6.... Could be a TS splitter problem that was fixed in 7 no way to tell unless someone that uses 6 chimes in.

Last edited by nyplayer; 12-02-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

i can record and watch ok with everything except SageTV. I can record using the SageDCT test panel, and also watch using Prime software. I have aowrkign cablecard in the tuner. i'd like to confirm if anyone got it working with sagetv v6

Old 12-02-2014, 02:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
i can record and watch ok with everything except SageTV. I can record using the SageDCT test panel, and also watch using Prime software. I have aowrkign cablecard in the tuner. i'd like to confirm if anyone got it working with sagetv v6
As they say in Shark Tank "I am out" sorry cannot help you.

These are some Instructions I had written. I do not remember why I said make sure you are using 7.1.9
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59721

1) Make sure you're running 7.1.9
2) Install SageDCT
3) Shut down the SageTV Service
4) Run the SageDCT config tool, scan for devices and generate the encoder properties when all tuners are found
5) copy the results from the txt file into the sage.properties file
6) Start SageTV Service
7) Configure the capture sources to use the right lineup - you do not need to do a channel scan

Also make sure SAGEDCT has full access in firewall.

Last edited by nyplayer; 12-02-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

Have you tried having the card reset. I know I was having problems with mine once and Comcast just reset it. I didn't have to reauthorize the card afterward if you are worried about that. I'm pretty sure with Comcast I was able to just do it over the phone with out a tech.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechling-burgh View Post
Have you tried having the card reset. I know I was having problems with mine once and Comcast just reset it. I didn't have to reauthorize the card afterward if you are worried about that. I'm pretty sure with Comcast I was able to just do it over the phone with out a tech.
There is no need to reset the card if he can Watch in WMC and the Hd Homerun software I am pretty sure the problem is that he is using Sage 6.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Wayne

I had a problem not long ago that also occurred randomly. Sage would start displaying "No signal" when I tried to tune a HDHRPrime channel. As in your case, HDHR Quickview displayed the channels without problems when this happened.

I learned by trial and error that if I stopped the SageDCT service and then restarted it, it would fix the problem (for a while).

NYPlayer was nice enough to write a script I could use to automatically stop and start SageDCT once a day (you can find it in this thread). However, before I had a chance to implement this, I bought a new Netgear router and have not had the problem recur since. I don't understand why this fixed it but wanted to pass along this info in case it is useful to you.

Regards
Old 12-02-2014, 03:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

BrandyPuff

I believe the firewall must be ON or SageDCT won't work.

Cheers.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoJohn View Post
BrandyPuff

I believe the firewall must be ON or SageDCT won't work.

Cheers.
Are you using Sage 6?
Old 12-02-2014, 05:32 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoJohn View Post
Wayne

I had a problem not long ago that also occurred randomly. Sage would start displaying "No signal" when I tried to tune a HDHRPrime channel. As in your case, HDHR Quickview displayed the channels without problems when this happened.

I learned by trial and error that if I stopped the SageDCT service and then restarted it, it would fix the problem (for a while).

NYPlayer was nice enough to write a script I could use to automatically stop and start SageDCT once a day (you can find it in this thread). However, before I had a chance to implement this, I bought a new Netgear router and have not had the problem recur since. I don't understand why this fixed it but wanted to pass along this info in case it is useful to you.

Regards
I don't know what it is, but that isn't it because only 1 or 2 of the tuners have a problem and a restart or shutdown and startup of the computer doesn't always do anything. Restart or shutdown/startup in essence stops and starts the SageDCT service. I know you have to stop/start it if you've made any changes and want to use the test mode without saving/re-entering the config util.

I just got them all working again. I had to go in and write a brand new assignments.txt and massage it into my sage.properties file. (copy/paste my provider ID into the new info and put in my encoder merit settings).
Once again it came up with all new UDP numbers for each tuner (starting a few higher than the high #'s in the last assignments.txt). So I had to go back into Windows Firewall and change my UDP ports to match the new information.

I wish I could find out what is "stealing" the UDP ports because in every case that is the only thing that changes to get them working again.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham View Post
I don't know what it is, but that isn't it because only 1 or 2 of the tuners have a problem and a restart or shutdown and startup of the computer doesn't always do anything. Restart or shutdown/startup in essence stops and starts the SageDCT service. I know you have to stop/start it if you've made any changes and want to use the test mode without saving/re-entering the config util.

I just got them all working again. I had to go in and write a brand new assignments.txt and massage it into my sage.properties file. (copy/paste my provider ID into the new info and put in my encoder merit settings).
Once again it came up with all new UDP numbers for each tuner (starting a few higher than the high #'s in the last assignments.txt). So I had to go back into Windows Firewall and change my UDP ports to match the new information.

I wish I could find out what is "stealing" the UDP ports because in every case that is the only thing that changes to get them working again.
Why don't you change the Start ports in SAGEDCT to start at a higher number.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:48 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Why don't you change the Start ports in SAGEDCT to start at a higher number.
I've done that and it works temporarily, but the problem happens again at a random time period. It is truly strange.
My start port is up in the 7k's now.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
You have to use the latest version of Sage to run SageDCT. Use SageTV 7.1.9.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

OK. Thanks. AFter all this effort that is what i'm finally being led to believe - that V6 does not work. I've only been able to find a beta release of 7.1.9 on this forum, is that correct?

I'm going to try it this weekend.

btw, when the firewall service is off, than all ports are open by default. I don't know why people keep saying that it won't work unless the firewall is on.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

(Confusing comments removed)
Quote:
btw, when the firewall service is off, then all ports are open by default. I don't know why people keep saying that it won't work unless the firewall is on.
Because that's what the developer recommends:

"NOTE: Many people have reported issues with SageDCT when they disable the Windows Firewall. Please make sure you have it enabled before seeking assistance if something doesn't work."

Last edited by Mythikal; 12-05-2014 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Confusing comments removed
Old 12-05-2014, 05:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythikal View Post
Not true. I've been using SageDCT with SageTV v6.6.2.218 for years. It may not be officially supported, but it works fine all the same. I can't speak to any requirements for the HDHR though since I use Ceton's card.

Because that's what the developer recommends:

"NOTE: Many people have reported issues with SageDCT when they disable the Windows Firewall. Please make sure you have it enabled before seeking assistance if something doesn't work."
You need Sage 7 if using a Hd Homerun Prime which is what the user is using. Let's not confuse the issue we are talking about the Prime. The title of the thread is HDHomeRun (HDHR) Prime + SageDCT
Old 12-06-2014, 12:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

What are the correct settings for the attached screen? DO I need to enable the port selection?
Attached Images
File Type: png 12-6-2014 9-00-52 AM.png (34.8 KB, 202 views)

Old 12-06-2014, 04:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
What are the correct settings for the attached screen? DO I need to enable the port selection?
If you click on one of the tuners on that screen you should see a check by 'enabled' and the port assignment for that tuner. The information on this screen comes from the 'Generate Assignments' button on the Discovery tab. It's more of an informational screen unless you want to change the preassigned port.
Attached Images
File Type: png sageDCTtuners.png (48.3 KB, 200 views)
Old 12-06-2014, 05:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

OK. Thanks. I see that now. I never thought to click on a tuner first.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

I currently have sagedct working with a hdhrprime. I am experiencing a problem with my setup. I have done quite a bit of searching and have not found any potetial solutions. So i am either searching incorrectly or the problem is unique to my setup. I am hoping you guys will have some suggestions, here is my problem:

While watching live tv everything streams fine until the show ends. Once a show ends, the picture freezes. The picture will stay frozen until I go to the guide and retune the channel (same channel). So to summarize when transitioning between shows the picture freezes and remains frozen until I retune the channel via the guide.

I believe this issue only exist regarding live tv.

I really appreciate any help and suggestions