SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm View Post
I also wonder what cable companies pay out to networks to carry their channel. If users access content directly from the web, would the cable companies still need to pay for that content? Is there a workable model where cable companies charge for access to their network of physical cables, connection to the internet and the bandwidth used, and let companies like Hulu and Google work out the content agreements with the networks? Probably not a high enough margin in that type of model, but it seems that something like that is the only way GoogleTV ends up working. Also, as younger generations move further and furuther from watching network TV, this type of model may be the only thing cable companies find people willing to pay for.
Or how about Google licenses content straight from the studios and/or networks? Google pays fees to the cable company to make up for the fact that users will be using more bandwidth (and may drop their TV package)? Studios/Networks are happy because they are getting paid and can distribute their content over the web, with DRM enabled. Cable companies are happy because they are getting revenue out of the deal as well. (Although in many ways they are then reduced to bit-carriers.)

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:29 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Or how about Google licenses content straight from the studios and/or networks?
If only Google had even a halfway decent track record in working with "content" partners...
via Olevia 247TFHD/Onyko TX-SR606/Harmony 550/HP MediaSmart EX490 WHS w/12TB
Plex Media Server v0.9.9.5 on HP Touchsmart Envy 23 d16qd
Sonos Play:3, Connect / SimpleTV v2 / Roku 2 XS+Plex / iPhone 5 / iPad 2
Old 09-22-2011, 07:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
Google pays fees to the cable company to make up for the fact that users will be using more bandwidth (and may drop their TV package)?
The logistics of negotiating with cable companies all over the country would be a nightmare. And, I don't know what leverage the cable companies would have to make Google pay them. I think that as fewer and fewer people watch TV, cable companies will cease to have the resources to pay networks for their content.
Then, Google gets the distribution rights to the media, and they will be in the driver seat. But, this is likely years down the road.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:10 AM
SageTVaholic

the networks fees that are charged to cable co's is on a per subscription basis. Number's are not as important as you are leading on. As long as the net income from the subscribed members is enough to cover the infrastructure costs of the system, they can continue to do what they are.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-25-2011, 11:07 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
the networks fees that are charged to cable co's is on a per subscription basis. Number's are not as important as you are leading on. As long as the net income from the subscribed members is enough to cover the infrastructure costs of the system, they can continue to do what they are.
Except the CableCo's have a rather significant amount of infrastructure they have to maintain to provide service to their customers. If enough people drop their subscription in a given area, it is possible Cable would either get much more expensive for the customers that remain(to cover operating expenses in addition to licensing fess), or Cable simply stops providing service to those neighborhoods.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:38 AM
Sage User

Send a message via Yahoo to bbroerman
EPG Questions...

How much longer will we have access to the program guide? Will it go away at some point? Will we ever be able to pick up license keys for additional clients and placeshifters, recorders, etc?

I've invested a fair amount of time and money into making SageTV my media center, and would hate to see all of that evaporate...
Old 10-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbroerman View Post
How much longer will we have access to the program guide? Will it go away at some point? Will we ever be able to pick up license keys for additional clients and placeshifters, recorders, etc?

I've invested a fair amount of time and money into making SageTV my media center, and would hate to see all of that evaporate...
We'll have EPG data for at least a year from the date of the aquisition.

http://www.geektonic.com/2011/06/wha...mers-post.html

Forum members are working on plugins for EPG data after the "plug is pulled."

As far as license keys available for purchase, I highly doubt Google will sell them. I feel pretty comfortable that by the time my Sage Media Center is no longer viable, there will be something better to replace it. That's how technology evolves.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Sage Expert

The EPG data from Sage/Google should stay live until at least May 2012. After that time, it's unknown how long it will stay live, so eventually we'll need to get EPG data from other sources.

I don't think you'll ever see the sale of SageTV licenses/hardware return.

Last edited by brainbone; 10-06-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Sage Fanatic

I have a strange question but couldn't SageTV just provide like 10 client licenses that just work for anyone so we could use our own hardware as extenders? I mean didn't they just give everyone and their mother a free upgrade to 7.x? Just wondering why they might not want to do that for the customers who have an existing installationbase.

Thanks,

Neil
Old 10-10-2011, 02:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

I doubt they'd want to give out client licenses that work for anyone, however since they have the email address of everyone who's ever puchased a license they could in theory send a blanket email to all Sage users with client license codes attached if they wanted to. It might not be that trivial to do though if they wanted every user to have unique codes and ultimately what will they gain from that effort other than a little bit of good will from the community?
Old 10-10-2011, 05:49 AM
Sage Aficionado

What they should do is make all license the same and shared like the place shifter licenses. I have two place shifter licenses from an MVP and the hd100 it would be great to be able to pool those license as client licenses so i could have two client licenses or place shifter license based on what is being used at the time.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechling-burgh View Post
What they should do is make all license the same and shared like the place shifter licenses. I have two place shifter licenses from an MVP and the hd100 it would be great to be able to pool those license as client licenses so i could have two client licenses or place shifter license based on what is being used at the time.
I'd imagine making those kind of changes would require a new release of the client software, which would require a significant amount of effort in terms of development, testing, packaging, release and support, which basically means it isn't going to happen.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Sage Fanatic

Right I wasn't looking for a release update or anything. I don't know how are client licenses configured. Are they tied to the email address of the registered server? I didn't think so because I see people selling them on ebay and stuff but perhaps that is the server AND the license. I don't know the auth scheme too well but it would be nice to prolong my config until someone brilliant like steve jobs can come along and make me want something that doesn't exist yet!
Old 10-10-2011, 05:19 PM
SageTVaholic

They're tied to the name ("John Doe") that you used when you purchased the Client license.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffneil View Post
Right I wasn't looking for a release update or anything. I don't know how are client licenses configured. Are they tied to the email address of the registered server? I didn't think so because I see people selling them on ebay and stuff but perhaps that is the server AND the license. I don't know the auth scheme too well but it would be nice to prolong my config until someone brilliant like steve jobs can come along and make me want something that doesn't exist yet!
Or exist anymore... and call it new...

Does everyone realize that Microsoft opened an 'app store' 3 years before apple did? The problem was people were still buying software in B&M stores back then, and no one knew WHY they should just download them.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room

Last edited by Fuzzy; 10-10-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Sage User

Send a message via Yahoo to bbroerman
Would be nice

It would be nice if they would give out licenses to the client, placeshifter, and recorder to those of us who have been faithful users over the years, and paid several times for the various upgrades.... I also hope that either the new corporate overlords keep the EPG going, or someone can come up with a mod that will keep them going.

I've put a lot of time and money into my SageTV setup, and would really hate to see it all go to waste.

One question, does anyone remember reading anything in the marketing information or the license agreement on keeping the EPG available and free indefinitely? Perhaps, if someone can find that, it could be used to persuade Google to keep it running?
Old 10-11-2011, 12:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Actually it was mentioned before that there was no guarantee the EPG would remain free. I think it came up when they went with a paid upgrade from Sage ver 3 to Sage ver 5. (or v5 to v 6 or whatever it was.) You can also configure Sage to use XMLTV for your EPG. That's been available for years and is another option should the Zap2It guide info ever goes away.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.

Last edited by gplasky; 10-11-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
...paid upgrade from Sage ver 3 to Sage ver 5...
Technically the first paid upgrade was from 5 to 6. It was free upgrades for servers up to version 5 and still is free for clients.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
Technically the first paid upgrade was from 5 to 6. It was free upgrades for servers up to version 5 and still is free for clients.
Thanks Bob. I knew it was when the paid upgrade started. Just wasn't sure of the version.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:37 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbroerman View Post
One question, does anyone remember reading anything in the marketing information or the license agreement on keeping the EPG available and free indefinitely? Perhaps, if someone can find that, it could be used to persuade Google to keep it running?
It's unlikely any company would commit to doing anything for free indefinitely...
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients

Tags
acquisition, beer, google, googletv