SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze2112 View Post
looks like i'm a little late to the party.

I've skimmed over the thread, and I really don't have a good feeling about this. I think selling with no warning whatsoever to those of us that have invested money in SageTV setups is a dick move, plain and simple.

Anyway, I guess we are at the mercy of our new Google overlords, which sucks for those of us that are trying to stay away from their "Cloud Everything" approach these days.
Not at the mercy of anyone.. The SageTV you bought still works exactly the same. Relax... we're talking about beer now anyway..

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-20-2011, 01:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Not at the mercy of anyone.. The SageTV you bought still works exactly the same. Relax... we're talking about beer now anyway..
sure it still works now, but for how long?

I'm still worried that it's not going to turn out well.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Catch up with your reading. The epg is good for at least a year. (maybe longer) SageTV already works with xmltv as easy as it does now and a plugin isa lready developed by Slugger. Is there a chance that something may change on YouTube that breaks it for SageTV? Maybe-it has happened before. Or something else breaks-possibly. So resign yourself that at some point you may need to find a replacement. But not now.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

We know how SageTV will turn out - It will eventually get long in the tooth and obsoleted. Right now it still works just as well as it did yesterday so enjoy it while you investigate what else is out there and wait for whatever comes next. To me it makes no sense to panic and jump ship immediately.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Sage Expert

First - There is no way for any company, especially when one is publicly traded, in negotiations to sell, to say anything. Also, the company that is selling would be INSANE to say anything until the deal is done.

Imagine you're making the deal to sell the company you've spent years building and out of the goodness of your heart you tell all of your customers that you are working on a deal. Everybody starts to panic. Then the deal falls apart. Who's going to stick around after that? I mean why would I invest in a company that is so obviously in trouble? Or that the owner just doesn't care about, or ???? The community would fill in the blank with tons of stuff.

Better to not say a word until it's done. Unfortunately, then you can't say anything either since it ain't yours anymore.

Second - I use Premise Systems for automation. Motorola bought it 5 or 6 years ago and promptly killed it. The system still works. I've upgraded hardware a couple of times. No major issues. There are a few, and I mean few, intrepid souls still doing a little coding, but it is VERY long in the tooth. I learn to live with the short comings until I can afford to buy something better. But I can still turn lights on and off from my Android phone. I can play music all over my house. Not bad for a product that has been dead for almost 6 years.

So go watch some TV!
Old 07-20-2011, 06:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

My 'long in the tooth' story.

When I switched to Comcast six weeks ago, I went from ReplayTV/Dish SD and Sage/OTA HD to RePlayTV/Comcast SD-clear + Sage/OTAHD+Comcast HD. Happy as a clam on a beach.

Then DNNA decided to cut server and EPG support for the Replay a/o July 31st and turn the boxes into bricks; nearly simultaneously Sage was sold. Sad as a clam in hot water.

The ReplayTV crowd had hung in there through the Digital/HD switchover but this looked like the end. Then some old-timers stepped up to the task and within about three weeks the 'key' and phone home logic was reverse engineered - nearly at the same time another old-timer contacted DNNA and they agreed to release the key as well. Within a week, WIRNS (a software interface to the ReplayTV box) has been updated to intercept the phone home routine from the box and send back activation info, and the boxes are alive as long as they can find analog SD signals to process.

I think the ReplayTV community is much smaller than the SageTV one at this point, but both products are robust and feature-packed which is why the communities are willing to work hard to keep them alive.

All to say that I think SageTV will be around for a long, long time - if the info in this forum remains available. If not, it will be a lot harder for the average (minimum-tech) user like me).

Last edited by hb4; 07-20-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:52 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVB View Post
I had a bumper sticker that said something like "Vote for the Adulterer and not the Liar."
In the early 90s in Louisiana, when David Duke (former klansman) ran against Edwin Edwards (former criminally-accused, scandal-ridden state governor, running again) for Governor, many people sported anti-Duke bumper stickers that said "Vote for the crook, it's important."
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

Hey now, who derailed the beer conversation. Let's get back on topic. C'mon. Honestly, I have troubles believing that all of you/us in the Sage community are "too good" for cheap domestic beer. Don't get me wrong. I love beer. And I really love good tasty beer. But I guess my personal philosophy is to supplement my good beer supply with beer that reminds me why I love good beer so much. Our personal favorite "work night beers" are PBR and High Life. To me, they seem to have more flavor and personality than your run of the mill lights not to mention they are cheaper.
As far as good, regional, micro-brews go, if anyone is in the central Indiana region anytime soon, you should try a beer from Sun King Brewing out of Indianapolis. Their Osiris Pale Ale is my favorite as I am a big fan of pale ales. It is hoppy but more balanced than many micro-brew pales I have tasted. Their Wee Mac is also a treat.
Anywho, just wanted to get us back on topic.

Last edited by ptzink; 07-21-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptzink View Post
Our personal favorite "work night beers" are PBR and High Life. To me, they seem to have more flavor and personality than your run of the mill lights not to mention they are cheaper.
Ugh, several of my buddies play softball (won't play soccer with me as its a contact sport, which is the reason I play soccer), and the bar they go to after games has shuffleboard, a taco truck, and....only PBR on tap. Worse, you can actually get decent bottles of beer, but they insist on getting pitchers of PBR. I've met up with them a few times when we both have games on the same night, but i'll be damned if I can get down more than 12 ounces. Funny thing is that their average salary is probably $350K (not total, average), MUCH MUCH higher than mine, they all drive $90K cars and have every expensive toy known to man, but don't want to spend more than $12 on a pitcher. I show up in my 10 year old SUV, but i'll order a racer 5.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVB View Post
Funny thing is that their average salary is probably $350K (not total, average), MUCH MUCH higher than mine, they all drive $90K cars and have every expensive toy known to man, but don't want to spend more than $12 on a pitcher.
Probably the same people that insists on running free apps on their PC/smartphone/tablets...

Any reason why the beer discussion has not been split from this thread, it seems the moderators merge threads for a lot less...
TbSageTV (1.02)/STVRemote (1.11): Monitor/control SageTV with a PlayBook 2
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad
Old 07-21-2011, 01:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonceur View Post
Any reason why the beer discussion has not been split from this thread, it seems the moderators merge threads for a lot less...
They're probably not disappointed that we're talking about beer and not the original topic.

Tom

PS. I had two Bud lights last night.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

First post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfire View Post
Is this for real or too many beers on my behalf?
I think that we have stayed on topic.....
Old 07-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgeezer View Post
First post:

I think that we have stayed on topic.....
Exactly. I added a 'beer' tag to the thread so we are all good now.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

This thread actually made me get in the car and hunt down some Samuel Smiths. Oatmeal Stout, IPA, Imperial Stout, Taddy Porter. Bought out the whole stock. Yummy I haven't had any for years.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

And so with that out of the way. Natty Greene's which is about 2 miles from my house produces what I think is an excellent dark brown ale (Old Town). I think the return of local breweries is one of the best trends in recent times. Whenever we travel we seek out the local brew pubs for usually good beer, good food and a nice, not too rowdy, casual atmosphere. I've yet to find the perfect brewhouse like the Moon under Water but some of them seem pretty close.

It's really kind of amazing that here in the bible belt where until about 15 years ago there were counties where you couldn't even buy beer, we now have several flourishing breweries.

BTW, Highland Oatmeal porter is pretty good too.......
Old 07-21-2011, 08:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
In the early 90s in Louisiana, when David Duke (former klansman) ran against Edwin Edwards (former criminally-accused, scandal-ridden state governor, running again) for Governor, many people sported anti-Duke bumper stickers that said "Vote for the crook, it's important."
And a crook he was. At the time he was criminally-accused (indicted but not convicted). After getting elected again, he managed to get himself arrested and convicted. I think he just recently got out of prison.

Oh, and to not offend anyone here..... Beer.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/2011/07/...-media-player/

Wow, it would be cool, if Google/Sagetv would make this into a extender.

Also, Here is a Quick and Easy Recipe for American Wheat Beer

American Wheat
5 gallons, estimated OG 1.046, estimated IBU 29.3, actual OG 1.048
5 lb Wheat DME
.25 oz Amarillo, 8.2% AA, FWH
.25 oz Simcoe, 12.2 AA, FWH
.25 oz Amarillo, 15 min
.25 oz Simcoe, 15 min
.5 oz Amarillo, 0 min
.5 oz Simcoe, 0 min
1 smack pack of Wyeast American Ale

Add extract to water and bring to a pre-boil volume of 6 gallons. Heat to 150 and add first wort hops. Alow to steep at 150 or so for 30 min. Boil for 60 minutes adding hops as indicated. Ferment at 68 for 1 week or until complete, keg or bottle.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ah, to have a Yuengling, I'm west of Pittsburgh so there is much beer sadness but hey, we have Schlafly microbrew here in STL so that almost makes up.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:24 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by batwater View Post
Ah, to have a Yuengling, I'm west of Pittsburgh so there is much beer sadness but hey, we have Schlafly microbrew here in STL so that almost makes up.
Yuengling is coming north. It arrives in Cincinnati in a month or so. If you never get it there, at least you'll have a much shorter drive to get some.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
Yuengling is coming north. It arrives in Cincinnati in a month or so. If you never get it there, at least you'll have a much shorter drive to get some.

Hmmm, I'll be in Zanesville in August, maybe, just maybe. Their brewery tour is interesting (especially the sampling session we had at the end ) I took a large group there a number of years ago. Oldest privately held brewery in the U.S.

Tags
acquisition, beer, google, googletv