SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:01 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorton View Post

Man

Google gonna need to hire the Diamond team to fix their GUI before releasing this if that their next version of Google/SageTV

It look sooooo 90's

Bill
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Windows 7 Professional 64bits // SageTV 7.1.x // Java 1.7.x
Old 06-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastafidli View Post
I think it allows us to speculate that Live TV and exactly the type of functionality Sage mastered on its extenders is a very high priority for developers. Nothing is easier that to just throw money at a problem, purchase proven solution and deliver above and beyond what everybody expected to ensure that you succeed.
I guess I still don't see that. To me, it implies Google doesn't want to allow access to the Live TV stream for security reasons. Though it doesn't specifically state the issue, I have to assume that if security is not a concern, what the developers ask is a not a problem, and if security is a concern, nothing SageTV has would likely solve the issue.

Last edited by brainbone; 06-22-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:08 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joematt View Post
When SageTV (Jeff) not Google says that it is a final then I will believe it.
That Q&A with 'google' from Brent WAS Jeff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
Not much, first thing which you anyone reading this probably already saw is the article on GeekTonic that has responses that I myself created to questions Brent Evans submitted. That is here: http://www.geektonic.com/2011/06/wha...mers-post.html

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 06-22-2011, 11:21 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by joematt View Post
When SageTV (Jeff) not Google says that it is a final then I will believe it.

then don't hold your breath.

i have a feeling that this will either be another google purchase that results in nothing, or small parts of it (OTA DVR) will be rolled into an existing google project. I'm fully expecting SageTV as we know and love to be gone. Though i am still on v6 (and a macintosh server) so i'm not sweating anything about v7.

...any one know if i can use a Sage Server license as a client? I may have solved my HD300 shortfall by finding an old placeshifter, windows client and windows server license in my email!! if i can use the server as a client, i am golden, after building a couple of little computers.
2x HDHR, all OTA
QNAP TS-809:
12.5 TB for Recordings/Imports/TimeMachine/Music
HD200 via 802.11n in Living Room
802.11n client in bedroom
Old 06-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbone View Post
I guess I still don't see that. To me, it implies Google doesn't want to allow access to the Live TV stream for security reasons. Though it doesn't specifically state the issue, I have to assume that if security is not a concern, what the developers ask is a not a problem, and if security is a concern, nothing SageTV has would likely solve the issue.
In the context of the article, "Live TV stream" refers to an actual video signal coming into the box's HDMI-in from an external source. That's not to be confused with pre-recorded content like, for instance, a dvr's "Live TV" which isn't really live at all.

The dispute described in the article between Google and developers over Google TV app's access to "Live TV" has no bearing on possible SageTV integration in its current state. However, if a SageTV client app were created then it would conceivably "break" the dual-view (PIP) concept of Google TV without the app's ability to overlay whatever it's doing on the "Live TV" window. The later being an "app" unto itself.

I think (hope) that Google will come around and allow for that capability as it will open up all kinds of interesting possibilities, but it's doubtful in the time frame given for the Honeycomb update (summer aka any day now).
Old 06-22-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
That's not entirely clear. Sage, Google, Adobe, Microsoft, etc., can claim that all they want, but the case law on reselling software is far from clear.

Obviously you'll probably quickly find yourself in moderated status if you tried to sell/transfer keys on these forums, and Google/Sage could probably get things pulled off of eBay if they really wanted, but you're almost certainly not going to find yourself in litigation with Google over reselling your keys.
There is big diff it has to do with Physical Media vs Digital Content Delivery so in case with SageTV you do not get a Physical Media CD with Key printed on the disc so there for you not allow resell it.
Only SageTV hardware can be re-sold becuase it a Physical Product.
Ho and before I forget you please take note: something about SageTV STX-HD100 Extender you can sell the hardware it self but not the license key becuase that was Digital Delivery by email if I recall rigth

Last edited by SHS; 06-22-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Sage User

I must admit to having monitored this thread with a measured attitude, i guess erring on the positive side, although if ota recording and live tv are confirmed as ultimately out of the window this will force a decision to can my Sage setup (somehow, even if my setup works perfectly and plugin dev continues, I wouldn't wish to be running and end of life application).

But more pressing, today my setup suffered drastically on several fronts; 3 of my hard drives inexplicably taken themselves offline reporting failures, even though my Sage drive seems okay, the epg has stopped working, wiz.bin seems corrupted and now a peculiar blurring of fonts on both my hd300s.

Anyway, to the point, I'm sure a server rebuild will resolve the situation although whereas I'd previously have almost relished this opportunity for a clean install, I'm left feeling flat and uninspired, the reinstall being a hard necessity for the family rather than an exercise I'll readily embrace.

So now I feel a bit trapped given I'd put so much effort into selecting Sage as my platform of choice. I also feel a bit silly having converted a number of other people to Sage who have imported and installed extenders.

So doubtless I'll undertake my reinstall this weekend although in honesty, were there a credible extender out there for Win7MC I'd be giving that a try instead.

Fingers crossed...
Network: GB Ethernet / DLink DNS-323
Old 06-22-2011, 11:57 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thoughts on the store being closed

It occurs to me that there could be a couple of good reasons why the store is closed to new purchases:
  1. The next iteration of the s/w will be free and therefore customers could feel hard done by if they just shelled out on a new license
  2. There maybe new replacement h/w imminently available - hence buying HD300s could be a bad move
The above may be wishful thinking

In any case, I do wonder why organisations such as SageTV (as was) and Google get themselves into these silly situations with upset customers - communication is key and it seems to have been severely lacking in this instance.
Client s/w : OS='Win8 X64', Apps='SageTV 7.1.9 Client (V7 STV)'
Extenders : 2 x HD300 (V7 STV)
Old 06-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by logsvp View Post
In any case, I do wonder why organisations such as SageTV (as was) and Google get themselves into these silly situations with upset customers - communication is key and it seems to have been severely lacking in this instance.
Because in these situations, often the customer is the least important part of the acquisition -- many times existing customers are more of a liability than an asset.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Get a grip. The SageTV software is exactly the same today as it was a week ago. The extenders have not changed. Nothing has changed. Even a year from now, the WORST case would be the forums are gone, and the community moves somewhere else, and the US/Canada EPG data is gone, and you ahve to instead use MC2XML and the XMLTV Importer to rather easily grab the exact same zap2it guide data you're getting now. a 15-20 minute process of resetting up the guide data, and you're set again for another 6 years if you want. the ONLY thing that has significantly changed at this point, is future expandability (no more client licenses or extenders). If googlesage ends up never releasing them for sale again, than at least the former will probably be filled in by gray market alternatives.
Having a stable platform and enough extenders I'm not seeing this being the end of usability of my system that others seem to be concerned about. One of my biggest issues with Tivo and other commercial PVRs is the pay-for-listings monthly charge. Knowing that we can use the same listings as MythTV, Meedios, MediaPortal,etc (http://www.schedulesdirect.org/) eases my mind. Twenty bucks a year is not a bad price compared to $10-$15 a month.

Moving forward, I'd be curious if Google would have the inclination or ability to upgrade the HD200/HD300 devices to Android and somehow allow us to use this hardware with GoogleTV. I guess only time will tell.
Sage Mini Client on Amazon Fire Sticks and Android TVs
Old 06-22-2011, 02:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Over 2 hours and no replies on this thread! Oh no, the sky is falling in. </sarcasm>
Old 06-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptzink View Post
Over 2 hours and no replies on this thread! Oh no, the sky is falling in. </sarcasm>
1. Denial
2. Anger
3. Bargaining
4. Depression

These are all stages of grief. Now I think everyone has made it to step five, Acceptence.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

I wonder if Google's acquisition of SageTV has prompted Yahoo to inquire about purchasing Hulu? Might a bidding war ensue? I'm surprised that Google didn't buy them first.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptzink View Post
I think everyone went to a google group for a more uninhibited conversation (e.g., talk of buying/selling extenders)
http://groups.google.com/group/unofficial-sagetv-forum
Old 06-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by polen View Post
1. Denial
2. Anger
3. Bargaining
4. Depression

These are all stages of grief. Now I think everyone has made it to step five, Acceptence.
Speak for yourself. I'm in part 2 still.

This was the ONLY non-DRM system out there. And I HATE being told what I can record, how long I can use it, how I use it, when I'm paying them a high fee for TV each month already!
Old 06-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
1. Denial
2. Anger
3. Bargaining
4. Depression

Speak for yourself, I'm stuck on Anger.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
1. Denial
2. Anger
3. Bargaining
4. Depression

what step is Confusion?
I would be on that step, but I can't find it...
Old 06-22-2011, 05:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

How many are going to continue to operate sage beyond the EPG 1 year deadline with alternative EPG.
Serv:ECS H61H2-T1 ITX I7 3770S CPU@3.1GHZ 8G Ram WIN1064 HDPVR, HD Homerun|network encoder Unraid Server:B75MU3B I5-3550 CPU@3.30GHz 9TB 16G Ram|Network HDPVR encoder:Win10 VM 8G Ram with Processor passthrough. Directv Http tuning to Genie, exemultitunplugin to Genie client. Http scheduled task bat file to defeat screensaver on Genie. Usb uirt scheduled task bat file to defeat screensaver on Genie client. Clients Android TV, Samsung TAB A
Old 06-22-2011, 05:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

if I can get a reliable guide feed into it after the current EPG fails, then I'll be using Sage indefinitely as I always planned. otherwise who knows.
Setup #7.6 Hyper-V (again!)
Hardware: Comcast Basic Digital Cable, (1) HDHR3-CC 20170815 firmware, 36GB "system" drive, 2TB laptop drives, a buttload of archive drives, HP DL380G6 2x X5660 processors (4 cores to VM), 4GB ram
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64, SageTV v9.1.2.662, Java v1.8.0_131, STV 2017052101, HD300 extenders
Old 06-22-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
How many are going to continue to operate sage beyond the EPG 1 year deadline with alternative EPG.
Me thing it going be more like How many are going to continue to operate sage when the next alternative pvr come out that if what think is going to happing but like all thing we just have to wait and see and god I hope I'm right or I be getting the frying pan over head but all else fail I used a alternative EPG in tell something dose come alomg I like and work close to what sagetv dose.

Last edited by SHS; 06-22-2011 at 05:49 PM.

Tags
acquisition, beer, google, googletv