SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

View Poll Results: Are you interested in a native Sagetv Client Netflix App?
Yes and I would prepay at a discount of 50% to get the project going. 28 28.28%
Yes but not interested in paying until it is released 24 24.24%
Yes but won't pay at all. 11 11.11%
No 36 36.36%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2011, 08:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

Very interested in on extender.
Zero interest otherwise. While I would prefer to do everything through extender, I can always switch tv inputs and use PS3 or Wii for Netflix streaming.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:51 AM
Sage Icon

If it also integrated the Que into the normal Movie and TV views then yes I would prepay but if it was just an add on and worked like the current launch Hulu client then no.

I am setup with the Hulu client and Playon today and find I just use Playon since it is integrated into the Sage UI. The difference in quality does not bother me that much.

I have always wondered why Netflix has never come up with a simple UI like the Hulu client. I guess they think everyone has MCE and will use that. I would like to be able to just launch the MCE Netflix directly from Sage as well.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:18 AM
Sage Expert

That is a great idea, but since I ditched my PC clients many many moons ago, this is a no go solution for me. Sorry.

Like others, it looks like the solution is to use my Xbox360 to view movies.
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2
Old 05-27-2011, 06:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWKerr View Post
If it also integrated the Que into the normal Movie and TV views then yes I would prepay but if it was just an add on and worked like the current launch Hulu client then no.
That is a good idea my original thought was to keep all of netflix in it's seperate/own ui and probably what I will do originally. Never though about moving the que into your collection, but none the less it will not be launching anything external except playing the film. All the navigation will be done in sage.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:18 AM
Sage Aficionado

Interested if it is on the extender but otherwise no interest at all.

PC: W7 32bit, Intel Q9550 2.83 Quad, 4GB DRAM
Cap Devices: Colosuss+UIRT+Cable STB; HDHR QAM+OTA, USB MediaSonic (6TB)
Network Players: HD200, (2) HD300s
Viewing: Samsung 55" 8000, Sony 50" and HP 37"
The more complicated it is the more likely it will break!
Old 05-27-2011, 07:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bits View Post
Interested if it is on the extender but otherwise no interest at all.
People can keep saying this but NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!
Old 05-27-2011, 07:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
I understand and accept that. My response was for clarity as to why I am not interested in the proposed Netflix plugin.

PC: W7 32bit, Intel Q9550 2.83 Quad, 4GB DRAM
Cap Devices: Colosuss+UIRT+Cable STB; HDHR QAM+OTA, USB MediaSonic (6TB)
Network Players: HD200, (2) HD300s
Viewing: Samsung 55" 8000, Sony 50" and HP 37"
The more complicated it is the more likely it will break!
Old 05-27-2011, 12:41 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
How about adding a silverlight player loopback-hack as an unsupported option? (Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I think you may be underestimating how useful it was to some).
Old 05-27-2011, 12:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbone View Post
How about adding a silverlight player loopback-hack as an unsupported option? (Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I think you may be underestimating how useful it was to some).
I am sure it was useful to some but it isn't something I want to support. There are just to many things that can go wrong in that situation and it would be a support nightmare.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:56 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
There are just to many things that can go wrong in that situation and it would be a support nightmare.
I understand -- though leaving the door open as an unsupported option may work out everyone -- something as simple as calling a user editable batch file on the server, passing some command line options (movie number, etc.) and tuning to a specific channel on the extender when launching a movie, and calling another batch file on exit.

That said, I don't have an extender -- so don't let my horse beating slow you down
Old 05-27-2011, 01:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbone View Post
I understand -- though leaving the door open as an unsupported option may work out everyone -- something as simple as calling a user editable batch file on the server, passing some command line options (movie number, etc.) and tuning to a specific channel on the extender when launching a movie, and calling another batch file on exit.

That said, I don't have an extender -- so don't let my horse beating slow you down

Have Fun guys
Old 05-27-2011, 01:21 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm still torn over this. I have bad memories of software clients crashing with HD videos (either from HD-PVR or firewire). I certainly wouldn't be in a rush to buy a PC client, particularly since a decent i3-based client would cost quite a bit more than an HD300. Netflix support alone wouldn't be enough to get me to go to a software client. And right now, there's isn't really another compelling reason.

My favorite proposed solution is a Roku+Colossus combo. Unfortunately, I know that won't work now, since there isn't a good way to get a Roku to play back a particular video. Still, it seems like a nice feature on a Roku would be to go to the Netflix website and be able to "send" a video to your Roku by clicking on a button. It seems like that would be a nice feature for everyone, not just people trying to hack together Netflix support on a Sage system. I know its probably unlikely, but I wonder if we could get Roku and Netflix to add that feature.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
I'm still torn over this. I have bad memories of software clients crashing with HD videos (either from HD-PVR or firewire). I certainly wouldn't be in a rush to buy a PC client, particularly since a decent i3-based client would cost quite a bit more than an HD300. Netflix support alone wouldn't be enough to get me to go to a software client. And right now, there's isn't really another compelling reason.
3d views in diamond will help
Old 05-27-2011, 01:52 PM
Sage Icon

are we talking 3d as in 3d screen capable views or are we talking 3d as in a 3d type of illusion that you can do with software now without any glasses...like a fake 3d if you will

:-D
Old 05-27-2011, 01:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiX64 View Post
are we talking 3d as in 3d screen capable views or are we talking 3d as in a 3d type of illusion that you can do with software now without any glasses...like a fake 3d if you will

:-D
Talkind 3d interfaces (3d models) not 3d glasses coming out you. Just 3d rendering.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Talkind 3d interfaces (3d models) not 3d glasses coming out you. Just 3d rendering.
A major feature of v7 was implementing a full hardware accellerated 3D interface to sagetv... just noone has really used it yet, mostly because the extenders aren't capable of doing it.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 05-27-2011, 02:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Actually, I changed my mind about the Roku+Colossus hack not working. I think I think it might be do-able today. It seems like the biggest challenge to it is being able to tell the Roku to play back a certain video. It looks like DVPRemote is able to do that from an iOS device, so why wouldn't a SageTV server be able to do the same?
Old 05-27-2011, 02:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Actually, I changed my mind about the Roku+Colossus hack not working. I think I think it might be do-able today. It seems like the biggest challenge to it is being able to tell the Roku to play back a certain video. It looks like DVPRemote is able to do that from an iOS device, so why wouldn't a SageTV server be able to do the same?
Yeah probably possible then but not going to happen by me as it is still the same method as a loopback really and a loopback would be easier to pull of.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yeah probably possible then but not going to happen by me as it is still the same method as a loopback really and a loopback would be easier to pull of.
Fair enough. Loopback would probably be easier, but I suspect the Roku route would be more reliable. I agree its a hack, but it doesn't seem like any more of a hack than an HD-PVR with an STB (though, more complicated to implement).
Old 05-27-2011, 03:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Fair enough. Loopback would probably be easier, but I suspect the Roku route would be more reliable. I agree its a hack, but it doesn't seem like any more of a hack than an HD-PVR with an STB (though, more complicated to implement).
Why would Roku be more reliable than a loopback?

The loopback would also be more flexible as anything you can watch on a PC should be viewable via loopback. It is probably cheaper as well since the only hardware you should need is a video card with component out (I am assuming that the HDMI output would be encrypted.