SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by korben_dallas View Post
Haven't had any OS or SageTV server crashes, but am definitely seeing some Colossus recordings in slowmo. Hadn't noticed prior, but tonight there was an overlap where the HD PVR was recording when the Colossus started, so that may be a factor. That would support a driver problem hypothesis.

How do we report issues to Hauppaugge?
email phone email phone . . . it's tiresome, but unless they hear us, they won't do much

http://hauppauge.com/site/contact/contact_us.html
Old 04-04-2011, 10:51 PM
Sage Icon

Man ran into a whole slew of slowmo or chopped Colossus recordings.

I submitted a support incident to Hauppauge. Hopefully it will speed along driver work.
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 04-05-2011, 05:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Man ran into a whole slew of slowmo or chopped Colossus recordings.

I submitted a support incident to Hauppauge. Hopefully it will speed along driver work.
when you say "slow mo", does audio run smoothly alongside the choppy video? I've also run into a slew of recordings where the time-counter is nonsensical.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:16 PM
Sage Icon

I'm also getting recordings with horrible timestamps in them. I wonder if the choppy, stuttering recordings aren't also caused by bad timestamps.

S
Old 04-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Sage Expert

Is just the time bar off, or does it effect playback? I have had a few that seem to play fine, but in certain parts of the show, it is almost like it skips ahead a few seconds for no reason.

thanks,
Jeff
Old 04-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Sage Icon

Both. One recording seemed to play fine but the timebar was moving in 10 second jumps. The timebar quickly reached the end of the 30 minute show time, Sage thought it was finished and wouldn't play the last 27 minutes. Other shows won't play well at all and some shows play OK but the time bar moves oddly.

S
Old 04-05-2011, 09:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphipps View Post
Is just the time bar off, or does it effect playback? I have had a few that seem to play fine, but in certain parts of the show, it is almost like it skips ahead a few seconds for no reason.

thanks,
Jeff
nope, the timestamps don't seem to be linked to a recording that's choppy. I've had a few where the counter moved :10 for every 10:00. So, the film took one minute and 40 seconds until it ended. That's Sage for ya. No, wait, it must be Hauppauge's fault. here we go again
Old 04-05-2011, 10:02 PM
Sage Icon

Most of the bad recordings do the skip-ahead every few seconds business.

A few recordings without sound, but I think that is caused by the HD PVR & Colossus engaging at the same time or in a bad order.

Strangely enough, some Colossus recordings are perfect.

I wonder if there is a disk issue, where the HD PVR & Colossus drivers don't play well if both are recording to the same storage device?
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 04-05-2011, 11:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

A few recordings without sound, but I think that is caused by the HD PVR & Colossus engaging at the same time or in a bad order.

I wonder if there is a disk issue, where the HD PVR & Colossus drivers don't play well if both are recording to the same storage device?

The way things are going, one of us is likely to figure out the cause before anyone at Hauppauge does
Old 04-06-2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:

Something tell me that not the case here if where ture USB model would not be working right also.

Last edited by SHS; 04-06-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:18 AM
Sage Icon

Had to disable all the channels on the Colossus.

The choppy recordings and out-of-sync audio is one thing.. but hard-locking the whole server? No thanks!
Old 04-07-2011, 09:17 AM
Sage Fanatic

I guess I am really lucky. Maybe its because I am on 32bit. But my wife watches the music channels over the colossus for 6+ hours at a time.

No problems.

*jinx*
8tb RAID5 storage/media/other &3tb RAID5 backup storage on a HighPoint RocketRaid 2680
1tb 3 disk Recording Pool
all in a beautiful Antec 1200
SageMyMovies/Comskip/PlayON/SageDCT/SRE
HD100/HD300 extenders
Old 04-07-2011, 12:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptheripper View Post
I guess I am really lucky. Maybe its because I am on 32bit. But my wife watches the music channels over the colossus for 6+ hours at a time.

No problems.

*jinx*
I'm running 32 bit windows 7 and I get all the typical problems.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Sage Fanatic

My 4Gigs G.Skill memory stick arrived today. I will be putting them in tonight and hopefully that will allow the server to go longer between reboots.

Everytime I use my placeshifter at work it eat up the java heap quickly that I had to reboot it remotely every 2 or so hours.

But if I leave it alone and not use the HD300 or placeshifter then it would last about 10 or so hours recording shows before it need to be rebooted and I am hoping adding memory to it will give it some more extra hours between reboots.

Bill
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Windows 7 Professional 64bits // SageTV 7.1.x // Java 1.7.x
Old 04-13-2011, 12:48 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechBill View Post
My 4Gigs G.Skill memory stick arrived today. I will be putting them in tonight and hopefully that will allow the server to go longer between reboots.

Everytime I use my placeshifter at work it eat up the java heap quickly that I had to reboot it remotely every 2 or so hours.

But if I leave it alone and not use the HD300 or placeshifter then it would last about 10 or so hours recording shows before it need to be rebooted and I am hoping adding memory to it will give it some more extra hours between reboots.

Bill
Replacing to 4 Gigs of memory and increasing java heap to 1024 seem to fix my problems but server still doing auto reboot nightly at 4am for now

Bill
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Windows 7 Professional 64bits // SageTV 7.1.x // Java 1.7.x
Old 04-14-2011, 08:14 PM
Sage User

The addition of the Colossus card to my configuration has resulted in slow motion or choppy recordings over time (issue), with an occasional BSOD. I have increased my Java Heap to 1024 MB which seemed to only delay the issue from occuring. I began testing the recommended restart of the computer or SageTV service. I scheduled a periodic a restart of the computer (which prevented or fixed the issue). I then disabled the periodic computer restart and replaced it with a scheduled restart of the SageTV service (which also prevented or fixed the issue). My Live TV and recordings seem to work correctly (audio and video) after a restart of either. A scheduled restart of either the computer or SageTV service seems to prevent the issue from occurring. The schedule or timing of the restart to prevent the issue from happening will be decided by the recordings (size, number, and quality) as well as schedule.

Currently I have scheduled to restart the SageTV service using the Windows Scheduler executing a batch file using the sc.exe (stop and start) command every morning at 3:00AM.

The three scripts .bat scripts I used for testing are as follows:
Restart the computer with a reason:
shutdown /g /C "Nightly Restart to prevent Hauppauge Java Heap Memory issue with Colossus." /d p:4:1

Restart the SageTV Service with SC:
sc stop SageTV
sc start SageTV

Restart the SageTV Service with Net:
net stop SageTV
net start SageTV

There is probably a better way to do this, but I thought I would post what is current working for me. I hope this helps someone else, until Hauppauge or Sage can figure out a solution to the problem.
SageTV server: Win 8 Pro x64, ASRock Z77 Extreme 4, i7-3770K 3.5Ghz Quad-Core, 32GB ram, 120GB Sata3 Vertex SSD OS, 2 x 1TB Hitachi Sata2, Thecus 5200Pro (5 x 2TB Hitachi SATA2 Raid 5), Colossus, HDHR3, SageDCT, ExeMultiTuner

SageTV client: HD300 (HDMI), HD200 (HDMI + Optical), HD100 (HDMI + Optical)

Network: Cisco Linksys E4200, 3 x TrendNet TPL-303E
Old 04-15-2011, 03:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

You got it Kroc! Since I instituted a scheduled 4am restart, all my Colossus issues disappeared. So this temporary fix works until Sage/Hauppauge resolve the memory leak issue.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrx4me View Post
You got it Kroc! Since I instituted a scheduled 4am restart, all my Colossus issues disappeared. So this temporary fix works until Sage/Hauppauge resolve the memory leak issue.
It not a memory leak issue it just that some how the colossus drivers cuases that over time with sagetv that why for now it best to do ever day reboot, I can get WinTV 7 and Showbiz to do that as well but it take time and lots schedule recording which can be any where 28 to 72 hours it just depends.
Here proof
http://www.shspvr.com/ftp/download/moive_clip/colossus/

Last edited by SHS; 04-15-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
It not a memory leak issue it just that some how the colossus drivers cuases that over time with sagetv that why for now it best to do ever day reboot, I can get WinTV 7 and Showbiz to do that as well but it take time and lots schedule recording which can be any where 28 to 72 hours it just depends.
Here proof
http://www.shspvr.com/ftp/download/moive_clip/colossus/
well, that's kinda lame, isn't it?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 04-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Sage User

New Colossus Drivers ...

... on Hauppauge site, hadn't seen any mention of them here: looks like released today (4/22) colossus_29111.zip

My Colossus has been running pretty good - expect to update when I get a chance.