SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Probably another thing to keep in mind, like the HD-PVR, you want to run the driver install program from Hauppauge. When you run the installer it will also upgrade any firmware on the card. You don't want to use the hardware wizard and just point to the directory with the updated drivers.

Gerry
firmware is build in to drivers them self there not a standalone like the HD-PVR model is.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Probably another thing to keep in mind, like the HD-PVR, you want to run the driver install program from Hauppauge. When you run the installer it will also upgrade any firmware on the card. You don't want to use the hardware wizard and just point to the directory with the updated drivers.

Gerry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
firmware is build in to drivers them self there not a standalone like the HD-PVR model is.
Sorry-my bad. It sounded good in theory.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:08 PM
Sage Fanatic

Are you all using two or more Colossus card in your server?

I am having this issue still but I notice it happens after I did lots of channel surfing or switching from channel to channel then a couple hours later problem would arise which evenly lead to server crash.

So today I decided to take out of Colossus card and run only just one to see if this issue remain or go away.

Bill
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Windows 7 Professional 64bits // SageTV 7.1.x // Java 1.7.x
Old 03-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechBill View Post
Are you all using two or more Colossus card in your server?

I am having this issue still but I notice it happens after I did lots of channel surfing or switching from channel to channel then a couple hours later problem would arise which evenly lead to server crash.

So today I decided to take out of Colossus card and run only just one to see if this issue remain or go away.

Bill
This issue still remain with only one Colossus card installed.

Bill
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Old 03-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

I had the problem with 1 colossus and 1 hdpvr. now i have two colossus and cannot get sound on 1 card. frustrating.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Sage Icon

My SO has complained of problems using the Colossus while watching live TV (she watches a lot of live TV ) and her description of it sounded like some on this thread. I finally got to see it myself and both the video and audio were stuttering, kind of stop and go. Sage itself was slow to respond. I tried stopping and restarting the show with no change, then powered cycled the HD300 with no change. Then I changed the channel with the same symptoms on two other channels. About that time the HD300 just stopped responding altogether.

I remoted to the server and found SageTVService.exe was using only single digit CPU but 908,000 K of memory. I have the Java heap set to 1024K. I opened services.msc and restarted the Sage service and immediately everything began working perfectly and stabilized at 475,000K memory (normal for my server).

It really looks like something caused Sage to max out the available RAM and everything Sage (UI, recordings, etc.) started suffering not just the Colossus.

S
Old 03-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Sage Icon

Maybe this will solve the problem. Hey, I can dream, can't I?
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 03-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Sage Fanatic

Do you by chance have the "display season and episode number" plugins on? I hate to cast false blame, but these were killing my beta (unrelated to colossus) with the exact same symptom. I uninstalled them and problem gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard View Post
My SO has complained of problems using the Colossus while watching live TV (she watches a lot of live TV ) and her description of it sounded like some on this thread. I finally got to see it myself and both the video and audio were stuttering, kind of stop and go. Sage itself was slow to respond. I tried stopping and restarting the show with no change, then powered cycled the HD300 with no change. Then I changed the channel with the same symptoms on two other channels. About that time the HD300 just stopped responding altogether.

I remoted to the server and found SageTVService.exe was using only single digit CPU but 908,000 K of memory. I have the Java heap set to 1024K. I opened services.msc and restarted the Sage service and immediately everything began working perfectly and stabilized at 475,000K memory (normal for my server).

It really looks like something caused Sage to max out the available RAM and everything Sage (UI, recordings, etc.) started suffering not just the Colossus.

S
8tb RAID5 storage/media/other &3tb RAID5 backup storage on a HighPoint RocketRaid 2680
1tb 3 disk Recording Pool
all in a beautiful Antec 1200
SageMyMovies/Comskip/PlayON/SageDCT/SRE
HD100/HD300 extenders
Old 03-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

I had a similar issue and don't have this plugin installed. First the picture went kindof weird (with some interference down the middle). Then I went into channel setup to preview and the picture returned to normal but the sound started stuttering on and off. When I had one colossus I had no problems, but all of this just started happening when I put in the 2nd one.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptheripper View Post
Do you by chance have the "display season and episode number" plugins on? I hate to cast false blame, but these were killing my beta (unrelated to colossus) with the exact same symptom. I uninstalled them and problem gone.
I've never installed that plugin. Sorry.

This has never happened before installing the Colossus and, according to the SO, has happened frequently since and only when the Colossus is being used. The 2 HD-PVR's don't cause this.

S
Old 03-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Sage Fanatic

do you have any plugins, any at all? If so, you have to remove all of them.
8tb RAID5 storage/media/other &3tb RAID5 backup storage on a HighPoint RocketRaid 2680
1tb 3 disk Recording Pool
all in a beautiful Antec 1200
SageMyMovies/Comskip/PlayON/SageDCT/SRE
HD100/HD300 extenders
Old 03-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:

S
What resolutions/bit rates are you using for your recordings? I've seen the Java heap going up like crazy as well. 1080i recordings using my previous settings (13.5 mbps vbr) seem to be OK, but using higher bitrates or SD recordings (480p) cause these problems.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Sage Icon

About an hour ago I checked and SageTVService.exe was back up to ~867 MB. I took JP's advice and disabled all plugins on all extenders and restarted the Sage service. I am back to a plain jane default install and will monitor closely over the next few days.

I have an SSD drive on the way and hopefully I will be doing a Win7, Sage 7 install from scratch this weekend in order to purge any unwanted remnants hanging around. The current install started at Sage 4 (maybe 5) and there have been a lot of upgrades and plugins since including Nielms webserver upgraded to the V6 jetty webserver + the V6 version of SageAlerts that should be upgraded to the V7 versions.

I use native resolution recording 480i, 720p, and 1080i but just remembered that I set my bitrates to the custom HD-PVR Max and Colossus Max rates that SHS posted shortly after installing the Colossus. When I get home I will return them to the built-in rates.

S
Old 03-09-2011, 09:28 PM
Sage Fanatic

Anyone here tried the 7.1.3 beta yet and still having same issue?

My SageTV is tied up with recordings so won't be a couple more hours before I get a chance to try 7.1.3

Bill
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Old 03-09-2011, 10:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have yet to see it, but its still early. Mine pause play pause play was not consistant.

Update: Spoke too soon. It happened, however changing channels fixes the issue. ????

Update: still have audio sync issues as well.

Last edited by metzz71; 03-09-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:56 PM
Sage Icon

Well this is still happening to me even though all plugins on all clients and extenders have been disabled. I'm still running the 1.x versions of the Jetty webserver and SageAlert (Never got around to migrating to 2.x versions) so those will have to be uninstalled. Well, since my new SSD arrived today, I'm just going to do a 'from scratch' install of Win7/Sage7 and will run without any plugins at all until this is resolved.

What I found today is that I started getting recording errors on both HD-PVR's and the Colossus and complaints that Sage was responding poorly or not at all. When I checked, SageTVService.exe was at 875 MB RAM and steadily climbing. When I tried to restart the service from services.msc the process errored out saying it was unable to stop the service. I then had to end task and then reboot.

From my (limited so far) observations SageTVService.exe stays steady at ~475MB RAM until it starts recording from the Colossus. It then begins to climb slowly. RAM usage does not return to lower levels after recordig stops but stays steady at the new higher level. If I start recording again with the Colossus RAM usage again begins climbing until it reaches the high 800 MB levels when I start getting recording errors. As soon as the recording errors begin RAM usage starts climbing at a significantly faster rate and quickly maxes out and Sage become useless until a reboot.

S
Old 03-10-2011, 07:15 PM
Sage Icon

Questions:

Does the Hauppauge drivers run in the SageTVService.exe memory space? I wouldn't think so but the thought occured to me that the drivers have a memory leak and I'm seeing that reflected in the Sage process.

Does the SageTVService.exe process run inside the Java heap? I seem to recall that the core is written in C++ and only the UI is Java. If that is the case then the Java heap may have nothing to do with running Sage headless as a service only. Am I confusing myself?

S
Old 03-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Sage Icon

Some further observations have modified my hypothesis:

The amount of RAM used by the SageTVService.exe does not steadily climb while the Colossus is recording but does increase each time the Colossus produces a recording error. The Colossus produces many minor glitches throughout the day and usually recovers and continues recording. Each of these cause a small jump the the RAM usage. The RAM usage does not go back down after the recovery so by evening SageTVService.exe is in the 750-800 MB range. Occasionally, the Colossus recording 'glitch' is more severe and requires stopping the recording and tonight just froze and caused the HD300 to power off somehow. After turning it back on I was able to record from the Colossus again. But RAM usage had jumped another 100 MB by then.

Conclusion: Each time the Colossus experiences a recordig 'glitch' SageTVService.exe experiences a corresponding jump in RAM usage. The longer the 'glitch' the larger the increase in RAM usage. Serious 'glitches' see the RAM usage climb considerably and I can watch it happen in Task Manager. SageTVService.exe never releases these increases of RAM back to the system so eventually Sage maxes out all the available RAM and becomes increasingly unresponsive until it crashes and/or requires a restart/reboot.

S
Old 03-11-2011, 11:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Some further observations have modified my hypothesis:

The amount of RAM used by the SageTVService.exe does not steadily climb while the Colossus is recording but does increase each time the Colossus produces a recording error. The Colossus produces many minor glitches throughout the day and usually recovers and continues recording. Each of these cause a small jump the the RAM usage. The RAM usage does not go back down after the recovery so by evening SageTVService.exe is in the 750-800 MB range. Occasionally, the Colossus recording 'glitch' is more severe and requires stopping the recording and tonight just froze and caused the HD300 to power off somehow. After turning it back on I was able to record from the Colossus again. But RAM usage had jumped another 100 MB by then.

Conclusion: Each time the Colossus experiences a recordig 'glitch' SageTVService.exe experiences a corresponding jump in RAM usage. The longer the 'glitch' the larger the increase in RAM usage. Serious 'glitches' see the RAM usage climb considerably and I can watch it happen in Task Manager. SageTVService.exe never releases these increases of RAM back to the system so eventually Sage maxes out all the available RAM and becomes increasingly unresponsive until it crashes and/or requires a restart/reboot.

S
I'm not sure about this theory. I run service and client on one system. The service as such does note use a lot of memory. Currently it's recording and utilizes around less than 100MB. The client on the other hand starts with about 300MB and goes up. Previously (before the introduction of the Colossus related betas) I don't recall that it ever went above 600MB. But recently it went up pretty fast to 700 and even reached one 1GB later on. And since I've seen Colossus recordings play fine outside of Sage but stutter within the Sage client, I still believe that there's a problem on the client side as well.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by metzz71 View Post
I had the problem with 1 colossus and 1 hdpvr. now i have two colossus and cannot get sound on 1 card. frustrating.
what have you done to fix this, if anything? I have a similar problem, in that my HD-PVR kills the Colossus' audio when the HD-PVR starts to record.