SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesquid View Post
That would be great! I guess it never occurred to me that after using the multi-user plugin there would be no way to uninstall it without loosing the status of watched, etc....

The only things that are relevant to me are the favorites and watched status. So my request would be to distill that info from any particular user and 'add' it to the global info... that way I can selectively add my stuff and my wife's to the global but not our old tenant, etc....

It is 'just' tv, so not the end of the world if I have to sort it out on my own, but it does seem like it would be useful in general to have an 'out' built in...
thanks!
I never thought about syncing after uninstall either. Shame on me I suppose that's why I titled the thread "Testers Needed"!

The Favorite status will be carried over because if any user creates a Favorite it's created globally and hidden for users that do NOT have that show as a Favorite. So if the user who defines the Favorite is removed the Favorite will still be defined in Sage.

Watched status is trickier and I may not be able to do the syncing, I'll have to go look at the code to see for sure. I'll report my findings here when I look at it (which will probably be over the weekend.)

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
The Favorite status will be carried over because if any user creates a Favorite it's created globally and hidden for users that do NOT have that show as a Favorite. So if the user who defines the Favorite is removed the Favorite will still be defined in Sage.
So I started (a few days ago) by removing a user, and noticed a couple favorites that "I think" I'd setup under that user stopped recording and were no longer listed under the favorites.... I think that's what prompted me to think about removing might not be as straight forward as I assumed. After your post, I went back and checked... created a new user, set up a favorite, checked that the favorite was there, removed the user, the favorite is gone... No big deal, but as you're looking at the in reference to migrating watched status, you might keep an eye open for what's going on when removing a user, 'cause I think favorites are actually scrubbed when users are removed....
cheers.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
So I started (a few days ago) by removing a user, and noticed a couple favorites that "I think" I'd setup under that user stopped recording and were no longer listed under the favorites.... I think that's what prompted me to think about removing might not be as straight forward as I assumed. After your post, I went back and checked... created a new user, set up a favorite, checked that the favorite was there, removed the user, the favorite is gone... No big deal, but as you're looking at the in reference to migrating watched status, you might keep an eye open for what's going on when removing a user, 'cause I think favorites are actually scrubbed when users are removed....
cheers.
Yup. I looked at the code last night and when a user is removed I check to see if any other users have any of the Favorites defined. I fthey don't I remove it.

I do plan on looking at this some more over the weekend. What I currently have in mind is a single function that lets you sync the Favorite and watched status with the core. Nutin fancy but I think it will be sufficient.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:07 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm looking into the code right now and here is what I plan to do. Please let me know if this is not what you are looking for.

When you remove a user the confirm dialog will have "Yes", "No" and "Yes - And sync Watched and Favorites". If you choose to do the sync:

- Any Favorites defined by that user will remain in the core.
- Any MediaFile or Airing that is watched completely will be marked as such in the core. This implies that MediaFiles or Airings that are only partially watched will NOT be marked as watched in the core.
- The Watched duration (i.e. the point into the video where you have watched) will NOT be preserved in the core.

How does this sound?

Old 10-28-2011, 04:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

If that logic is using the 10% rule implemented in the last update to determine watched completely that should work really well and makes perfect sense.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
If that logic is using the 10% rule implemented in the last update to determine watched completely that should work really well and makes perfect sense.
Good. This should not be too hard to do. After I test it out on my system I'll send you something to try.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:05 PM
SageTVaholic

bikesquid - Something for you to try. This is a test version that will:
- remove the user from the favorite but leave the favorite in the core.
- look through all of the MediaFiles and Airings and print debug information, it will NOT unassociate the user from the Airings and MediaFiles.

To install: (I recommend using a SageClient, but the server will work)
- Download the test zip file from here: http://code.google.com/p/tmiranda/downloads/list (The summary line says "test for bikesquid")
- Stop Sage
- Replace the MultiUser.jar file with the test jar.
- Copy the .xml to the STVs/SageTV7 directory.
- Restart Sage
- Load the MUS 1.00.016.xml test file as a complete STV replacement. NOT AN IMPORT.
- Go to remove user and choose the sync option.

When complete attach the logfile. (Let me know if it's too big and I'll PM you an email address.) I want to make sure it does what I expect before it actually alters the database.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

will tackle tomorrow... got a big night planned w/Dexter...

Would it be useful to testing if I:
1) create a new user
2) create a new favorite for that user
3) watch something completely with that user

before doing this?

I'm not sure what exactly the existing users have setup for favorites is why I ask. Don't mind doing that if it's useful, don't need to if it's not....

cheers.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
will tackle tomorrow... got a big night planned w/Dexter...

Would it be useful to testing if I:
1) create a new user
2) create a new favorite for that user
3) watch something completely with that user

before doing this?

I'm not sure what exactly the existing users have setup for favorites is why I ask. Don't mind doing that if it's useful, don't need to if it's not....

cheers.
Yes, but I'd add:
4) Watch something else completely
5) Delete one of the watched shows

The plugin will look for previously watched and deleted Airings and steps 4 and 5 will create a test for that.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

Umm.... which log?
Old 10-29-2011, 04:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Umm.... which log?
The sage logfile, sagetv_0.txt or sagetvclient_0.txt. Set the loglevel of the plugin to Trace and make sure sage debug logging is enabled.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Yes, but I'd add:
4) Watch something else completely
5) Delete one of the watched shows

The plugin will look for previously watched and deleted Airings and steps 4 and 5 will create a test for that.
Done.
Added user tmiranda... (why not....)
then watched an idiot abroad - S02E04, let it run to end....
existed
installed
logged in as tmiranda again,
watched An idiot abroad - S02E05
deleted an idiot abroad - S02E04
added a favorite...
switched to Admin
deleted user tmiranda, answering yes to sync...
PM me an email address for the logs... files too big...

Last edited by bikesquid; 10-29-2011 at 05:40 PM. Reason: I'm stupid....
Old 11-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

So based on the PM'd jar, all extra users have now been removed... I'd say you can consider that one tested successfully! Thx!

Is it now as simple as uninstalling the plug-in or do I have to do some db-hocus-pokus first to remove everything cleanly? Ideally I'd rather not have danglers floating around....
Old 11-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
So based on the PM'd jar, all extra users have now been removed... I'd say you can consider that one tested successfully! Thx!

Is it now as simple as uninstalling the plug-in or do I have to do some db-hocus-pokus first to remove everything cleanly? Ideally I'd rather not have danglers floating around....
scratch that... all my favorites are gone...
Old 11-02-2011, 06:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
scratch that... all my favorites are gone...
Bummer, sorry Do you happen to have the logfile?

Strange that the Favorites were removed because I did not change that code between the "test" version I sent and the last .JAR file I sent.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:04 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Bummer, sorry Do you happen to have the logfile?
Nope, turned logging off...
It's wierd, it removed all favorites, not just from the last user.... if that's clear... disable the plug-in, go into manage favorites and it's blank.

Anyway, now that the damage is done, what do I do to remove the plug-in completely?
Old 11-02-2011, 12:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Nope, turned logging off...
It's wierd, it removed all favorites, not just from the last user.... if that's clear... disable the plug-in, go into manage favorites and it's blank.

Anyway, now that the damage is done, what do I do to remove the plug-in completely?
Just uninstall it in the normal way. You can optionally first log in as admin, go to the database maintenance menu and look for the entry that says something like "clear database". All of the data is stored in the wiz.bin (using official APIs, nothing wonky) and that option will delete it all. It might be a good idea to backup the wiz.bin before hand. (Shouldn't really be necessary but better safe than sorry.)

I was always proud of this plugin as it was quite complicated to do. I'm sorry to see people stop using it but I suppose that's just a sign of the times.... Google TV has some rudimentary user account settings so hopefully they will expand up it in whatever comes next.

Tom

Old 10-23-2012, 12:10 AM
Sage Expert

A couple questions, I see in Sage that there is a user feature. Is this plugin depreciated or does it work with that system?

If its not depreciated, does this plugin work with Sage still? Is it compatible with gemstone?

If it is depreciated, does the default user system of Sage maintain a set of watched flags for imported media for each user? If not, can I still use this plugin to do that?

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2012, 05:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkshadow View Post
A couple questions, I see in Sage that there is a user feature. Is this plugin depreciated or does it work with that system?

If its not depreciated, does this plugin work with Sage still? Is it compatible with gemstone?

If it is depreciated, does the default user system of Sage maintain a set of watched flags for imported media for each user? If not, can I still use this plugin to do that?

Thanks!
This plugin was written before the user feature was included in Sage. You should use one or the other, but not both.

It does still work with Sage, but I've never tested it with Gemstone and I doubt it will work.

I don't know how Sage tracks data per user but I'm sure it's not compatible with how this plugin keeps track of things.

It sounds to me like you want to setup Gemstone to support multiple users. If that is the case the Gemstone devs will have to add that into their STV. Much of the code I've written can be reused or adapted for that purpose.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:36 AM
Sage Icon

ADM is now built into Gemstone and does enhance the user functionality depending on what you are looking for,

http://code.google.com/p/sagetv-adm/...ontrol/Options

Look in the Gemstone Menu Manager.

Sorry for the hijack Tom.

J