SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-01-2005, 10:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

ok thanks, so back I go...
Old 03-07-2005, 10:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

just wanted to say that I was able to easily setup my 3 zone USB-UIRT with this threads help. Now i have 3 tuner boxes controlled by the USB-UIRT and a 4th controlled with serial connection. I am pretty happy with my server now.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:42 PM
Sage User

Smile Place to buy IR Emitters

Note: I have not purchased from this site myself, but the price looks great for:

"Easy to install dual emitter has self-adhesive design - just peel off protective backing and stick on equipment over IR receiver window. A visible LED flashes to confirm reception of IR signals. Standard 1/8" phone plug is compatible with most IR systems."

http://store.yahoo.com/asihome/chvimiewidue.html

Main IR menu.

http://store.yahoo.com/asihome/emitters.html

Also ... covers for IR emitters are available (look at the bottom of the page for part number XA-MS. Note: they may not fit other IR units, just theirs.

http://www.hometech.com/infrared/emitters.html
Old 05-08-2005, 08:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

I think I bought my USBIRUT around Jan of 04 - but it only has one jack on the back. John can I get this one to work with multiple zones? If not, do you have any sort of an upgrade option for me?

thx
Old 05-08-2005, 10:44 PM
Sage Fanatic

If your serial number ends in a "z" then your usb-uirt is capable of running mutiple zones. All usb-uirt's come with only one plug in the back. You are in essence just 'y-ing' off with 2 y-adapters to add ir blasters (at least that's how I understand it)

-PGPfan
Old 05-09-2005, 09:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

yeah but I can't see the serial - I took it apart to remove the front plastic to improve performance but now you can't read the serial. It's a USBUIRT0038 if that helps...
Old 05-09-2005, 05:39 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey_fl
I think I bought my USBIRUT around Jan of 04 - but it only has one jack on the back. John can I get this one to work with multiple zones? If not, do you have any sort of an upgrade option for me?

thx
I can't give you a definitive answer but Jon did not start selling zone capable UIRT's until Feb. 04 so it depends on how loose a definition of "around" you meant. The one I purchased the 1st or 2nd week of Jan. 04 is not zone capable but the one I purchased middle of Feb. is.

You may have to try it and see.

Scott
Old 05-25-2005, 10:34 AM
Sage Aficionado

just about to set this up. So if your system does have the DCT2000 and that's what you choose (as mine does) - when I setup the other tuners will it create a 2nd and 3rd copy of these files? Which I would then edit with the zones?

thanks guys

Davey
Old 05-27-2005, 11:36 AM
Sage Aficionado

Well guys i'm having a little trouble getting zones working correctly.
I followed the instructions in the thread exactly for adding Z1,Z2,Z3 into the appropriate .ir files. As I understand it, zone1+2 come out the mini stereo jack, and zone3 is the front USBUIRT emitter.

When I try to change channels on my Z1 tuner:
Z1 tuner does nothing
Z2 tuner goes to selected channel
Z3 tuner goes to selected channel

When I try to change channels on my Z2 tuner:
Z1 tuner goes to selected channel
Z2 tuner does nothing
Z3 tuner goes to selected channel

When I try to change channels on my Z3 tuner:
Z1,Z2,Z3 all do nothing (no lights flashing on USBUIRT either, so it isnt even trying to send the channel change request out the front emitter).

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 05-27-2005, 12:04 PM
Sage Icon

Two questions:

1. Are you sure your USBUIRT supports zones? Check the bottom for a 'Z' at the end of the serial #.

2. Are you shielding your emitters? I bought some shields specific for my emitters, but I hear that a couple of layers of electrical tape works equally well.

Now, if both those are under control, are your emitters 'visual'? This is to make sure that the correct emitter is being called by the zone you think it is.

Check spaces in your .ir file. IIRC, it is VERY picky about spaces. And I believe that one post in the archives had it wrong, and was corrected elsewhere. Check this.

FWIW, I setup mine one at a time. IE: Setup tuner 1, w/ zone 1 on and all others blocked. Checked that it responded correctly, then copied that .ir file twice, edited it, and setup tuners 2 & 3 in succession.

Good luck.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hi Crashless,

Yup it is a Z USBUIRT - just got it from Jon. Also, I'm using black electrical tape to sheild - this problem is definitely hardware and/or ir file related (or Sage I suppose). I basically did exactly what you did for setup - yet I'm still having the problem...

Davey
Old 05-27-2005, 01:03 PM
Sage Icon

zip up your .ir files and post them. I'll have a look.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

I hate to go down this road because I don't want to upgrade, but could it have anything to do with me running version 2.019 instead of 2.28?

thx
Old 05-27-2005, 04:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

here they are..
Attached Files
File Type: zip IRfiles.zip (1.1 KB, 585 views)
Old 05-27-2005, 05:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

For what it is worth. The only difference between your .ir files and mine is that my numbers are in order on the left-hand side, but I don't think that matters. Other than that they look pretty much like mine. I use Cable Digital boxes.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:09 PM
Sage Icon

I noticed they're out of order too.

Here's a reordered version.

I was thinking, if the z3 one isn't triggering the USBUIRT at all, does it get triggered if you remove the 'Z3'? Maybe this is a driver problem...have you tried reinstalling the USBUIRT drivers?
Attached Files
File Type: zip updated1.zip (1.2 KB, 467 views)
Old 05-27-2005, 10:22 PM
Sage Fanatic

What are you using to split the 2 zone from the stereo mini jack on the USB UIRT?

Make sure you are using a Stero splitter and then have 2 individual emitters attached to the splitter. The Dual emitters sold online are only a Mono plug there for you would only actually have 2 zones. And make sure you have really ceiled up the IR emitter on the body of the USB UIRT. The main USB UIRT has incredible power. I had to cover it with card board and go nuts with the black electrical tape. I also had to go nuts with the electrical tape on my IR emttiers so they would not cause the other cable boxes to change at the same time.

John
Living Room: WinXP Pro SP2, AMD XP3200+, 1GB, 1.3TB 3ware 9500S12 RAID5, GigaByte GA7N400Pro2, 2xVBOX USB2 HD Tuner<-Antennna, 1xHDHR<-Antennna , HD100 to HDMI Splitter 1080i->32" 4:3 HDTV or 1080i->92" 1080P LCD Projector
Kitchen: WinXP Home SP2, Celeron 2.0Ghz, 512MB, 40GB, Saphire ATI MB, ATI9200->19"LCD
2 BedRooms: MediaMVP
Old 05-27-2005, 10:28 PM
Sage Fanatic

Also I have a space between the Z1, Z2, and Z3 in my IR files. I don't know if that matters, but I suspect that their is IR leaking and that you do not have the correct IR emitter setup. The Dual Emmitter listed by prowler2000 above I can just about guarantee will not work.

John
Living Room: WinXP Pro SP2, AMD XP3200+, 1GB, 1.3TB 3ware 9500S12 RAID5, GigaByte GA7N400Pro2, 2xVBOX USB2 HD Tuner<-Antennna, 1xHDHR<-Antennna , HD100 to HDMI Splitter 1080i->32" 4:3 HDTV or 1080i->92" 1080P LCD Projector
Kitchen: WinXP Home SP2, Celeron 2.0Ghz, 512MB, 40GB, Saphire ATI MB, ATI9200->19"LCD
2 BedRooms: MediaMVP
Old 05-28-2005, 06:24 AM
Sage Aficionado

Hi guys.

The emitters I am using are single emitters with a mono jack. The splitter I purchased from RatShack is a Stereo to Mono splitter and splits out the left and right channels, so all is OK there. I don't have spaces in my IR file but I thought you weren't supposed to have spaces between the Z#0000. I have also tried to allow Sage to build the IR files itself, by training it during the Setup Wizard, however, I get the exact same results. Perhaps there is a problem with the USBUIRT itself. I'm pretty sure there isn't an IR leakage problem. Before I setup zones and added additional tuners I tested the single tuner setup with my cable boxes in place and taped. The only one that changed channels during the blast wsa the bottom untaped box, the others didn't change. Also, if I unplug the Z2 box emitter (essentially recreating the above scenario) it isn't blasted either.

Maybe Jon can chime in here about the USBUIRT. Can't really think of anything else...

davey

Last edited by davey_fl; 05-28-2005 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:04 AM
Sage Aficionado

Guys I got it working. I have been using Jon's beta2.zip driver so that Sage and theatertek will play nice together, however, the Zone info will not work with the beta2 driver in place. I uninstalled all USB drivers, reinstalled using Windows V1.3 only, and it all works great (no spaces between the Z#0000). This has introduced the problem of not being able to use the remote to control theatertek while sage is sleeping, but maybe Jon can look into the driver issue. thanks for all the help.

Davey