SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-01-2004, 02:19 PM
Sage Fanatic

I ordered my emitters from Smarthome and I used the radio shack splitter Chrysek linked to. Everything worked great, but I did have to go a bit crazy with the black electrical tape to prevent them from changing multiple boxes at once, but everything works great.

Now if I can only get rid of my occasion 5 to 10 second pause on my clients during playback of pre recorded material.

John
Living Room: WinXP Pro SP2, AMD XP3200+, 1GB, 1.3TB 3ware 9500S12 RAID5, GigaByte GA7N400Pro2, 2xVBOX USB2 HD Tuner<-Antennna, 1xHDHR<-Antennna , HD100 to HDMI Splitter 1080i->32" 4:3 HDTV or 1080i->92" 1080P LCD Projector
Kitchen: WinXP Home SP2, Celeron 2.0Ghz, 512MB, 40GB, Saphire ATI MB, ATI9200->19"LCD
2 BedRooms: MediaMVP
Old 09-03-2004, 02:14 AM
Sage User

Little Help?

I want to use the Sage EPG with 2 cable boxes using the USB-UIRT Zones.

Read the Docs, not a problem.

But here's the rub ...........

I've got 1 ea 250 with SDTV cable box in this machine I want to use to record on using Sage.

And the other is a HDTV box that I want to use for live TV (only-on direct input to HDTV from stb)

But I want to use the SAGE EPG and interface so it's seamless between the two. HDTV input wont change for live so just using SAGE to view EPG and change channels ...

But then will need to send a command (via girder) to change HDTV inputs to view recordings (or view them with TT2 and/or thru Meedio/Sage, which would be alright

What I dont know how to do, Is "Trick" Sage into letting me setup a "second" tuning to get the EPG and channel changing with no second tuner!

Maybe it will change with Sage, But I mostly watch live TV and I think (at least I think it now) that one 250 for recording will be enough (Ok all you PVR junkies! Start chuckling now!)

Also, Is the anywhere/anyway to use a windows/sage message and/or girder event under thru the command section (or somewhere else) to ie: change an input and channel, in stead of straight to USB-UIRT?

Any thoughts?

Any help?

TIA .. ALot

Jeff

Last edited by wordgasm; 09-03-2004 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:46 AM
Sage User

NOTE to those editing files and putting Z1 Z2 or Z3 in front of the codes:

DO *NOT* PUT A SPACE AFTER THE Z1 Z2 or Z3.

Wrong:

1 Z1 0000 0067...

Right:

1 Z10000 0067 ....

-Jon
Old 10-03-2004, 06:33 AM
Sage Fanatic

I think this is a SageTV issue and not a USB UIRT issue.

When I have 3 favorites or 3 manual recordings ( using zones 1,2,3 ) set to start at the same time, zone 3 does not change channel.

If Zone 1 and Zone 2 are not set to manual or favorite record start at the same time as Zone 3 then the channel chnages fine.

Now for the kicker.

If I set up timed recordings to start at the same time the channels all change as expected.

I am also sending this to Freh Support, but I was wondering if any one had experienced this?

John
Living Room: WinXP Pro SP2, AMD XP3200+, 1GB, 1.3TB 3ware 9500S12 RAID5, GigaByte GA7N400Pro2, 2xVBOX USB2 HD Tuner<-Antennna, 1xHDHR<-Antennna , HD100 to HDMI Splitter 1080i->32" 4:3 HDTV or 1080i->92" 1080P LCD Projector
Kitchen: WinXP Home SP2, Celeron 2.0Ghz, 512MB, 40GB, Saphire ATI MB, ATI9200->19"LCD
Old 11-24-2004, 08:02 AM
Sage Aficionado

IR emitters - They are basically just an IR LED connected to a mini-plug right? If so can one just make them with parts from RatShack? Do I need a current limiting resistor? Anyone know which end to connect the cathode to on the miniplug? I could figure it out by testing I guess, easier if someone already knew.

I know you can buy them pretty cheap pre-made (hell probably cheaper than the parts from ratshack) but I do not feel like ordering a $10 item on my CC and waiting for delivery. (easier to hide the cost from the wife if I pay cash )

Last edited by m1abrams; 11-24-2004 at 08:05 AM.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:00 PM
Sage User

That's correct. If you're handy enough with a soldering iron, you can wire an IR LED to a 1/8" mini plug. Wire the Tip to the LED's Anode and the Barrel to the LED's Cathode.

-Jon
Old 12-07-2004, 02:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

Well I just finished my home-made emitters for the USB-UIRT. They work great, and cheap too. I think the total parts cost for radioshack was about $7 for two emitters.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hi M1

Consider writing up a little note about your experience creating these, I know I for one would be interested in having a look and I'm sure other people would be surprised to find out that they can create this themselves and might be interested.

Im not at the point that I need more than one (my USB-UIRT arrived today) but I know I may need a second zone at some point and I would definitely consider building the parts for 2nd and 3rd zone... just a suggestion if you have the time. thanks

Cory
Old 12-08-2004, 05:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

Sure I can share how I did it, REALLY SIMPLE.

Parts needed are:
1/8" stereo minuplug
2 IR LEDs (not IR phototransistors, but LEDs)
some very small wire, I used 24 awg. Small because not much room on a miniplug.
solder, and solder iron
electrical tape and/or heat shrink tubing

LEDs have a cathode and an anode, the cathode is the pin closet to the flat side of the LED bulb.

The miniplug has 3 connections, ground, left, right. I can never remember which is left or right but it really does not matter for this excerise. The ground is the part farthest from the tip.

Connect BOTH LED cathodes to the ground pin on the miniplug.

Then connect one LED anode to the LEFT pin, the other LED anode to the right pin. After you are done, I like to put just a small bit of electrical tape between the connections to prevent shorting. Also if your miniplug does not have a strain relief builtin, I would recommend using either electrical tape or better heat shrink as a strain relief.

Thats it, now test them and see if they work. I recommend first testing them without the ZONE data, since the USB-UIRT by default sends the same signal to ALL outputs. Just cover up all but one and test each one.

Then to find out which one is Z1 and which is Z2, just test now with the zone modified IR files and figure it out. Then label them

I attach my LED emittors to my cable boxes using DUCT TAPE, make sure it is 50 mph or better duct tape
Old 12-08-2004, 08:39 PM
Sage Icon

All this is even easier for dish network boxes. All you need to do is set your IRD remote codes to different numbers. You could essentially control up to 10 dish boxes with one UIRT w/o the extra hardware.

Present Im controlling 3 boxes sitting on top of each other, connected to my server in my den + 3 analog cable tuners.

All my tv viewing is off a small quiet client pc or my mvp in my room. You gota love that functionality!

I.

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 1/Master BR - MediaMVP running a 30" Olevia LCD TV.
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:10 PM
Sage Icon

http://www.smarthome.com/8170.html
This site has a twin emitter, does this mean you could have more than 3, or could I use the twin in place of two emitters?
Old 12-16-2004, 09:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_maniac
http://www.smarthome.com/8170.html
This site has a twin emitter, does this mean you could have more than 3, or could I use the twin in place of two emitters?
Well you could have more than 3 emitters, BUT not more than 3 zones. The dual emitters would send the same signals.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac
All this is even easier for dish network boxes. All you need to do is set your IRD remote codes to different numbers. You could essentially control up to 10 dish boxes with one UIRT w/o the extra hardware.

Present Im controlling 3 boxes sitting on top of each other, connected to my server in my den + 3 analog cable tuners.

All my tv viewing is off a small quiet client pc or my mvp in my room. You gota love that functionality!

I.

I know this is a bump of a way old thread, but it has the most details about the setup I am about to go to. I have 4 Direct TV recivers on the way. I will be connecting them all to a SageTV server. Right now I am running analog cable to teh server and it is easy as pie. The external tuner boxes are going to be a littl more work. Can I control 4 boxes from a single usb-uirt? i am interested in the solution quoted above (if I can do it with DirectTV). any advice?
Old 02-24-2005, 10:48 AM
Sage Icon

I am not positive on this, but I do not believe that DirectTV boxes support multiple remote ID's like dish boxes(I control 3 dish boxes with a single USBUIRT w/ 3 different config files. Nothing else). I would think that you might have to get creative on how do your setup. All directTV boxes support serial right?

If so, couldnt you use serial for a few of them and then use the USBUIRT with an additional ir transmitter (the stub from the back of the UIRT) to control another. This is pretty ugly, and you would have to make sure that the 2 boxes that would get the ir signal would not be able get each others signal, but it may work ok...

On the flipside, if the DirectTV boxes to support multiple remote codes, it will be as simple as findign or creating seperate ir files and your all set!

Maybe someone with exp with direct controll can step in here and be more specific

GL

I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idvsego
I know this is a bump of a way old thread, but it has the most details about the setup I am about to go to. I have 4 Direct TV recivers on the way. I will be connecting them all to a SageTV server. Right now I am running analog cable to teh server and it is easy as pie. The external tuner boxes are going to be a littl more work. Can I control 4 boxes from a single usb-uirt? i am interested in the solution quoted above (if I can do it with DirectTV). any advice?

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

I am actually leaning more towards direct control. I had kind of forgotten about that option. seems like there is less margin for error. I will have the boxes saturday so i can get the model number and stuff. I figure I'll either use usb>serial adpater or get a PCI card that adds serial cables. I like the card idea best. one less dongle to worry about.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:10 PM
Sage Icon

To me, that seems like the only way to fly. And it should be really fast compared to the slow USBUIRT solution. Should be a cheap test to figure out if it will work or not.

I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idvsego
I am actually leaning more towards direct control. I had kind of forgotten about that option. seems like there is less margin for error. I will have the boxes saturday so i can get the model number and stuff. I figure I'll either use usb>serial adpater or get a PCI card that adds serial cables. I like the card idea best. one less dongle to worry about.

My sage rigs:
Old 02-25-2005, 11:08 AM
Sage Fanatic

Just a warning...I had issues with using USB -> Serial adapters with my Actisys IR 200L. It said it worked, but it was like it was not getting enough power transmit. This may not be an issue with Direct Serial Control, but I suggest that you get the USB to Serial at a local store to make sure works so it is easier to return.

As far as the USB UIRT option It took a bit of time and it was ugly to do, but it has worked for me very reliably for over a year with 4 idental Cable TV boxes using my own home made IR tents out of card board and electrical tape. For the 4th box I had to use one Actisys IR blaster, but that was managable.

But if direct Serial is a workable option definitely do it.

John
Old 02-25-2005, 11:12 AM
Sage Icon

"tents" now thats creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptaz
Just a warning...I had issues with using USB -> Serial adapters with my Actisys IR 200L. It said it worked, but it was like it was not getting enough power transmit. This may not be an issue with Direct Serial Control, but I suggest that you get the USB to Serial at a local store to make sure works so it is easier to return.

As far as the USB UIRT option It took a bit of time and it was ugly to do, but it has worked for me very reliably for over a year with 4 idental Cable TV boxes using my own home made IR tents out of card board and electrical tape. For the 4th box I had to use one Actisys IR blaster, but that was managable.

But if direct Serial is a workable option definitely do it.

John

My sage rigs:
Old 03-01-2005, 10:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphhughes
i went to rat shack and accidently got this adapter...
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...13&site=search

it looks the same, just says that is 1 stereo to 2 stereo. the first linke dadpater is one stereo to two mono. Think mine will work or do I need to take it back?
Old 03-01-2005, 10:24 AM
Sage Fanatic

No the 1 stereo to 2 stereo will not work since you will probably miss one of the zones since most ir blasters have mono plugs so both ir blasters will be transmittihg from the left channel of the USB UIRT instead of from the left and right.