SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

That's what I understood, but why not?

With one box network latency can be neglected and with the cache drive performance should be fine. You could use one of these for cache, but something smaller should be able to handle 24h of recordings...

Why would you specifically put these two drives out of the array?
Old 09-03-2010, 10:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gog View Post
I'd keep them out of the array for space, really. I don't necessarily need RAID protection for most of my tv recordings, but space would be nice to have.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-03-2010, 12:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gog View Post
That's what I understood, but why not?

Mainly, I don't care for redundancy on my recording drives, and I don't care to have my recordings in the "pool".
Old 09-05-2010, 01:54 PM
SageTVaholic

So, a bit of a snag, or maybe hit the snag earlier than I was expecting. I wasn't paying attention and was going to move my recording drives over to my new server, only to realize I'm short an SATA port. Thought it had 6, but it's only got 5 + esata, so it appears I've run out of spots sooner than expected.

So for the short term, I'm first going to try swaping my ESXi datastore over to IDE (still got an IDE port open on that board) or failing that, I think I'll get an eSATA to SATA cable. But regardless, looks like I'm going to need an SATA controller sooner than later. So anyone got any ideas? The best looking option right now is actually a Dell SAS6/iR adaper, it's a PCIe x8 SAS adapter that's supposedly supported by ESXi, and it's pretty cheap. My biggest concern is if it would work in the x16 PEG slot in my motherboard or not...
Old 09-05-2010, 01:58 PM
SageTVaholic

you could probably get buy just using a port multiplier. As for putting an x8 card in a x16 slot, it SHOULD work fine. There are a few motherboards out there that have problems with anything but a graphics card in there, but that is usually fixed with an updated BIOS.

(I actually ran an x4 card in an x1 slot for a while on an old motherboard, before updating.. took some fine dremel work on the slot though...)

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, I've looked into PMPs, but they're expensive, seem somewhat fiddly, but most of all I don't think my motherboard supports them. It might on the eSATA but I've not been able to find any solid info on it.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:23 PM
SageTVaholic

I'd bet the board supports them. If it's new enough to have an eSATA port on it, than it most likely supports the multipliers. The chipset doesn't know any difference between the eSATA, and standard SATA ports, so if it supports it on one, it'll probably support it on any. Regardless, if it's too expensive, than it doesn't really matter. I think you can get 5x1 PMP's for about 60 bucks. Surprised their prices haven't fallen, but it's probably just a function of low production numbers.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Know any good sources for PMPs? That's been the biggest trick, is actually finding any.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:38 PM
SageTVaholic

I think Addonics is probably the biggest name in them, and they run their own store. Though, at those prices, I wouldn't bother, especially if you've already got a spare PCIe x>1 slot. About the only point i can see to using multipliers at current prices, would be to add more drives to a good hardware raid card, without having to buy a bigger/second hardware raid card.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:15 AM
SageTVaholic

So, hit a bit of a stumbling block, for soem reason I can't get my R5000 to actually work right. The driver installs, communication works, and I can use it in the sense that I can start and stop recordings. But it's plagued with constant buffer overflows.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
...it's plagued with constant buffer overflows.
I am not surprised by that.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:42 PM
SageTVaholic

That's a constant problem with the R5000 software in general, they simply don't do buffering well. I'm thinking the best option in that case, unfortunately, would be to restrict the R-5000 recordings to a 'local' windows drive, and use SJQ or something to move them to the UnRAID. Sucks, but the R-5000 is just that finicky. I don't envision they will be making any more changes to the R5000 software wither, as their primary customer base is pretty much gone (Dish Network 211's are pretty much vanishing from the market).

Old 09-11-2010, 02:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
I am not surprised by that.
What has me sort of confused is that I thought it worked before, but admittedly it's possible I just saw that the recording commenced and assumed all was OK, but the bigger source of confusion is that the HD PVR appears fine and it pushes probably at least twice the data rate.

I'm going to have to ponder options, maybe "break down" and abandon the R5000 for another HD PVR, or have two machines....

The one thing I would like to figure out is if it's disk throughput (seems unlikely given the HD PVR and HDHRs are fine) or something with the USB/capture software...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
That's a constant problem with the R5000 software in general, they simply don't do buffering well. I'm thinking the best option in that case, unfortunately, would be to restrict the R-5000 recordings to a 'local' windows drive, and use SJQ or something to move them to the UnRAID.
As a reminder I'm not recording to the unRAID, I'm recording to "local" storage, actually tried the unraid, local and my existing SageTV server and it didn't matter.

Quote:
Sucks, but the R-5000 is just that finicky. I don't envision they will be making any more changes to the R5000 software wither, as their primary customer base is pretty much gone (Dish Network 211's are pretty much vanishing from the market).
Yeah, I'm not that thrilled with it i don't expect any help/updates from Nextcomm.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, I was surprised enough that they released the 3.1d drivers. Either way, so you are recording to a physical windows accessed drive, or a virtualized image?

Old 09-11-2010, 03:08 PM
SageTVaholic

I've tried the RDM passthrough "physical" drive, an unRAID (VM) share, and the network shares of my normal server records to. Also (previously) tried the Caviar Black (normal recording drives) but local to the VM via RDM passthrough.

Again though, this is just the R5000, the HDHR and HD PVR seem fine.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:42 PM
SageTVaholic

It may very well be the USB connection. I know I originally had quite a few issues with varying USB adapters over the years of using the R-5000's. Perhaps the extra layer of virtualization is enough to throw it off. I'm not totally away of how ESXi deals with the USB connections. Are you connected to a specific USB device, or is it giving the OS direct PCIe access to a specific USB controller? the latter is likely to be better with the finicky R-5000.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:46 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm using the USB passthrough, my board doesn't support PCI passthrough.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I was thinking... That's probably the source of problems... I know that using the onboard USB on a few of my motherboards simply would always give buffer overflows, even when NOT virtualizing.. so any extra delays in there would likely crap it up something good. I think the problem is the R5000 Hardware itself has very little buffering in it, so if it can't offload it to the USB controller and to the system quick enough, it will lose that data (as it gets overwritten by what's coming in). You'd think with the cost of the R-5000, they could have added an extra SDRAM chip on there for further buffering, but that didn't happen.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
In my own testing, the ESXi 4.1 USB passthrough seems to be quite slow. I'm not convinced it provides a good enough environment for tuners at the moment.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
The best looking option right now is actually a Dell SAS6/iR adaper, it's a PCIe x8 SAS adapter that's supposedly supported by ESXi, and it's pretty cheap. My biggest concern is if it would work in the x16 PEG slot in my motherboard or not...
FYI, I've run its younger brother (Dell Perc 5/i) for over a year in a PCIE X16 slot with no issues. In my new server I am running a 5/i on a x16 slot that only does PCIE x4 with no issues either (just limited bandwidth, but 1GB per second is still plenty).
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter