SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:18 PM
Sage Fanatic

ok I am all windows. I have comskip configured and running (donator version) on my sage server. It runs comskip automatically after the show completes.

I would like to offload the "load" of comskip to another server, but keep all the automated functionality. Is this possible?
8tb RAID5 storage/media/other &3tb RAID5 backup storage on a HighPoint RocketRaid 2680
1tb 3 disk Recording Pool
all in a beautiful Antec 1200
SageMyMovies/Comskip/PlayON/SageDCT/SRE
HD100/HD300 extenders
Old 03-30-2011, 01:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptheripper View Post
ok I am all windows. I have comskip configured and running (donator version) on my sage server. It runs comskip automatically after the show completes.

I would like to offload the "load" of comskip to another server, but keep all the automated functionality. Is this possible?
I never really tried to get the automated part to work in my offserver implementation. I am assuming you are using dirmon? If both boxes are windows and it works on one by monitoring the directory, then I don't see why it wouldn't work if running on another box, just monitoring a 'windows share' directory.

I should also mention that, comskip.exe was installed on the windows desktop, not on the sage server.

It can't hurt to try. I mounted my UNC share as the 'M' drive on my workstation. just copy comskip.exe to that machine and run it.

to sum up, what you want to do should be very possible. Just understand that you will be eating through your network bandwidth, especially if you have like 4 or 5 comskips running at once (I would have up to 7).

Try it and report back your success and/or failures.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptheripper View Post
Quick question.

Is it possible to run comskip.exe on another machine? My htpc is not super beefy but the family quad core sitting next to it could easily do the work.

I did search the thread but couldnt find anything.
This plugin is really not meant to be used to run comskip on another machine, for that I'd highly recomment SJQv4 (Sage Job Queue). The learning curve is greater for SJQ but you will have a lot more flexibility.

Slugger has already written the groovy scripts (when you look into SJQ that will make sense) so you wil have a good head start.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hey folks, I made a donation a couple days ago to get the donor version of comskip so I could run it on my H264 files. Can anyone tell me how long it usually takes to get the download link after you donate? I still haven't gotten email one from him.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:45 PM
Sage Fanatic

mine took about 2 days.,
8tb RAID5 storage/media/other &3tb RAID5 backup storage on a HighPoint RocketRaid 2680
1tb 3 disk Recording Pool
all in a beautiful Antec 1200
SageMyMovies/Comskip/PlayON/SageDCT/SRE
HD100/HD300 extenders
Old 04-05-2011, 04:01 AM
Sage User

Not sure if I'm supposed to start a new thread, but I'll try here first. Auto detect/skip works beautifully for me (thanks!), but when I click "Run Comskip" in the show's options nothing happens. I don't see comskip in the Task Manager. When I go to CommercialDetector's config menu and do "Scan All Recordings WIthout Comskip" comskip runs OK. The paths to comskip.exe and comskip.ini are correct. So why doesn't "Run Comskip" work? "Delete Comskip Files" works fine.

Also, is there a way to delete orphaned files automatically, e.g. every time SageTV starts? I sometimes see leftover junk but I'm too lazy to get into the Detector's config menu to start "Delete Orphaned Files".

Sage7.1.5, CommercialDetector 0.80, ComskipPlayback 2.0.6.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by element33 View Post
Not sure if I'm supposed to start a new thread, but I'll try here first. Auto detect/skip works beautifully for me (thanks!), but when I click "Run Comskip" in the show's options nothing happens. I don't see comskip in the Task Manager. When I go to CommercialDetector's config menu and do "Scan All Recordings WIthout Comskip" comskip runs OK. The paths to comskip.exe and comskip.ini are correct. So why doesn't "Run Comskip" work? "Delete Comskip Files" works fine.

Also, is there a way to delete orphaned files automatically, e.g. every time SageTV starts? I sometimes see leftover junk but I'm too lazy to get into the Detector's config menu to start "Delete Orphaned Files".

Sage7.1.5, CommercialDetector 0.80, ComskipPlayback 2.0.6.
You need to install the CommercialDetector UI from the "UI Mod" section of the Plugin Manager. That will make the "Run Comskip" and "Delete Comskip Files" option work.

There is no way to delete the orphans automatically on startup. The best thing to do is make sure you have "Cleanup files with these extensions" configured properly so you don't nee to run "delete orphaned files" at all.

Tom

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:41 AM
Sage User

Cool, thanks. "Run Comskip" works now.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Cool, thanks. "Run Comskip" works now.
Good. In the future, all you need to do is install the UI Mod plugin and it will automatically install all of the other things that are needed (The "General" plugin including comskip, the ComskipPlayback plugin, and all required dependencies.)

I tried to make this easy, and installing one plugin is about as easy as I could get it

Old 04-05-2011, 01:46 PM
Sage User

A bit of a side-bar ...
.. but does anyone run comskip with the multithread option to use more than 1 core/cpu ?

I ask because there was an old old thread that suggested it caused issues, but I haven't seen any recent updates
Old 04-05-2011, 03:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoltran View Post
A bit of a side-bar ...
.. but does anyone run comskip with the multithread option to use more than 1 core/cpu ?

I ask because there was an old old thread that suggested it caused issues, but I haven't seen any recent updates
Not sure what you mean by "run comskip with the multithread option" but you can run multiple instances of comskip. I don't know if comskip itself is multithreaded or not.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:47 PM
Sage User

Hi, I found the multi-threaded thread in the comskip forums.
It's supposed to multi-thread, but doesn't and Eric doesn't think it can be fixed
http://www.kaashoek.com/comskip/view...lit=multi+core
Old 04-05-2011, 06:16 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
You need to install the CommercialDetector UI from the "UI Mod" section of the Plugin Manager. That will make the "Run Comskip" and "Delete Comskip Files" option work.
One more thing: when launched manually from "Run Comskip", does comskip run with the exact same parameters as when it's launched automatically by Com. Detector? I may be imagining things, but it seems like "Run Comskip" works harder and longer than auto on the same show.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
One more thing: when launched manually from "Run Comskip", does comskip run with the exact same parameters as when it's launched automatically by Com. Detector? I may be imagining things, but it seems like "Run Comskip" works harder and longer than auto on the same show.
It should not make any difference at all. If you want you can set the loglevel to Trace, press the "Run Comskip" button, and then send me the log from the Sage server. (Wait a few minutes after pressing the button. The server only looks for files queued from SageClients once a minute or so.) I'll take a look at that to see if anything funky is happening.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

Red face 3 Quick Questions

Okay I see always_keep_last_seconds=120
but does always_keep_first_seconds=120 work, too?

Second, is there a way to set a flag on a recording, folder or favorite for DO NOT COMSKIP?

Third, is there a way to force the comskip delay in autoskip and delay in return from autoskip (a negative value) to specific values from within the comskip.ini? This would be great for extenders and MVP's.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:17 AM
SageTVaholic

I can only answer the second question. You can exclude certain channels from being comskipped but you can't skip by recording, folder or favorite. I can see where this would be useful so I'll put it on the list for the next version.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:32 PM
Sage Fanatic

I installed the Diamond theme and then uninstalled it.

Client started have a problem where commercials change from green to blue on timeline when I do the a FF skip. The Commercial skipping in IU shows disabled, so I enable it again, but then the next FF disables commercial skipping in the IU again. I tried reinstalling all Sage software on the client but the behavior persists.
SERVER: Win 7 x64/i7-860/Zotac H55ITX-C-E/Corsair H70/CFI a7879 case/12 TB Pooled with Drive Bender. DVBLogic: streaming HDPVR content to SageTV, WMC Clients, NPVR Clients, Remote Computers & iphone. 2ea HDPVR, 3ea HDHomeRun, 2ea VIP211

Last edited by jerryt; 04-30-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryt View Post
I installed the Diamond theme and then uninstalled it.

Client started have a problem where commercials change from green to blue on timeline when I do the a FF skip. The Commercial skipping in IU shows disabled, so I enable it again, but then the next FF disables commercial skipping in the IU again. I tried reinstalling all Sage software on the client but the behavior persists.
Not really a function of Commercial Detector, but of the Comskip Playback plugin. This is normal default behavior, to disable auto-skipping on a manual rewind (to keep it from auto-skipping forward again). There are a LOT of configuration options under Detailed Setup -> Customize -> Comskip Playback Options. One of them is 'Disable Autoskip for this long when manually skipping' under 'Operation Options'. It think the default is 12 seconds.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 05-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Not really a function of Commercial Detector, but of the Comskip Playback plugin. This is normal default behavior, to disable auto-skipping on a manual rewind (to keep it from auto-skipping forward again). There are a LOT of configuration options under Detailed Setup -> Customize -> Comskip Playback Options. One of them is 'Disable Autoskip for this long when manually skipping' under 'Operation Options'. It think the default is 12 seconds.
Thanks, that worked.
SERVER: Win 7 x64/i7-860/Zotac H55ITX-C-E/Corsair H70/CFI a7879 case/12 TB Pooled with Drive Bender. DVBLogic: streaming HDPVR content to SageTV, WMC Clients, NPVR Clients, Remote Computers & iphone. 2ea HDPVR, 3ea HDHomeRun, 2ea VIP211
Old 05-04-2011, 02:12 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thumbs down Delay Linked To Autoskip Commercial Minimum Size

Quote:
There are a LOT of configuration options under Detailed Setup -> Customize -> Comskip Playback Options. One of them is 'Disable Autoskip for this long when manually skipping' under 'Operation Options'. It think the default is 12 seconds.
I do not see that. I see something quite weird instead. I think on of them should say Disable Comskip ....

instead I have two identical entries under Operation Options that both say "Don't Autoskip Commercials Shorter Than This"

So I clicked on both.

The second one came up with a text that said "Disable Autoskip for this long when manually..." It's default was 12. So I changed it to 2 seconds and they both changed to 2 seconds. I changed the minimum commercial to 25 seconds, and they both changed to 25 seconds. Bleck.

Thoughts?