SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 04-27-2004, 08:56 AM
SageTVaholic

2.0 is currently in Release Candidate 2, so I would say the release will be soon (nothing like being specific)

As for multiple monitors, you'll need to set up your display for clone mode, this will display the same thing on both monitors, although video doesn't always work on both displays at the same time (this varies from card to card).

To change channels on the cable box, Sage needs to be able to controll the cable box, you'll need either an IR blaster like the UIRT which will mimic the box's remote control or if you're lucky the box will have a serial or "Low speed data" port which you would connect to the serial port of your computer and Sage would control it via that connection (serial is better if possible).
Old 04-27-2004, 09:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hey Stranger,

Thanks for all the help, you and everyone have been giving me.

As usual I have more questions.

With Sage tv, I want to mostly watch all the tv on my telivision, I would basically like it to be just like it is now, except with the added "tivo" style dvr.

I guess my question is, will I be able to do most of the things strait from the tv, just like it was a tivo, and will the quality of my live tv be any different quality that it is now??

Also, my guide will change right, I really em' happy about that because the digital cable guide is terribly slow, and all you can do is lisiten to the audio when you are looking at the guide.

Also, when changing channels through sage, will it still give me that bottom bar crawler from the digital cable company when ever I change a channel?

Also I have a General Instruments Dig Cable BOx, how do I know if it has a serial port, what does it look like??

& I have been reading about when trying to program the digital cable remote, that some boxes are supported, and some aren't, where would I go to find the list???

Thanks A Million.

ccerj8
Old 04-27-2004, 09:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via Yahoo to sixdoubleo
Quote:

Also, when changing channels through sage, will it still give me that bottom bar crawler from the digital cable company when ever I change a channel?
Yes. Sage will change channels just as you had manually changed channels. So, whatever you see when YOU change a channel normally is what you'll see when Sage changes the channel.

Quote:

Also I have a General Instruments Dig Cable BOx, how do I know if it has a serial port, what does it look like??
It is a 9-pin plug about 5/8-inch wide and 3/8-inch high.....sort of trapezoid shaped.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:32 AM
SageTVaholic

AAAHHH! More friggin questions!!

Just kidding.

Quote:
Originally posted by ccerj8
Hey Stranger,

Thanks for all the help, you and everyone have been giving me.

As usual I have more questions.

With Sage tv, I want to mostly watch all the tv on my telivision, I would basically like it to be just like it is now, except with the added "tivo" style dvr.

I guess my question is, will I be able to do most of the things strait from the tv, just like it was a tivo, and will the quality of my live tv be any different quality that it is now??
Yes, you'll be able to do everything on the TV. As for quality, I'm not sure what you're comparing too, but likely with the TV out on a video card, the quality will be slighly less than straight from the cable box, it will be way better than VHS though.

Quote:
Also, my guide will change right, I really em' happy about that because the digital cable guide is terribly slow, and all you can do is lisiten to the audio when you are looking at the guide.
You can scroll through the guide at will, Sage updates the guide once/day.

Quote:
If you're using the cable box, the probably, since Sage just records the cable box output. If you use the analog cable, then no.

Quote:
It will probably look like a phone jack, or a 9-pin serial port and be labled data, or Low Speed Data. There's a pretty good chance your box has one (it would be on the back), take a look and if it does try that firts before getting a UIRT.

Quote:
& I have been reading about when trying to program the digital cable remote, that some boxes are supported, and some aren't, where would I go to find the list???

Thanks A Million.

ccerj8
It seems to me that most boxes are supported via IR, and a lot of boxes with serial ports will work via serial.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally posted by stanger89
AAAHHH! More friggin questions!!

but likely with the TV out on a video card, the quality will be slighly less than straight from the cable box, it will be way better than VHS though.
I agree with Stanger. I would just like to add that when you're NOT using a TV-Out, the Sage picture can be BETTER than what you would get with straight cable or satellite. For those of us outputting in digital to an HDTV, we are getting a progressive-scan image that is usually of better quality than if we had just watched TV normally.

So my point is that Sage really has nothing to do with picture quality. It's the conversion of the image as it passes from composite, through the PVR card, to MPEG. back off MPEG to your decoder and then out the TV-Out that is giving you quality loss.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:17 AM
Sage Advanced User

Ok, thanks for the help.

I looked at the back of my dig cable box, it has a 9 pin serial port, (im assuming), because its labled data. So that would be what I hook up to my pc's serial port, to change the channels???, so I wont need to buy a uirt.

Also once I get my 250 turner, is there any manual that comes with it, or a how to anywhere so I know how to get it hooked up?? I guess I can always ask this wonderful forum.

THanks again guys. ccerj8
Old 04-27-2004, 02:27 PM
SageTVaholic

No guarantees the serial port will work (the cable company may not have it activated) but I would definitely try it before spending money on a UIRT.

It's not really that hard to hook up, serial cable from PC to cable box (null modem cable I believe), s-video and L/R audio from cable box to 250 (you'll probably need one of these to connect the audio).
Old 04-27-2004, 02:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
It's not really that hard to hook up, serial cable from PC to cable box (null modem cable I believe), s-video and L/R audio from cable box to 250 (you'll probably need one of these to connect the audio).
Hey Stanger....question....

How would you compare the video and sound quality of the configuration you suggest (s-video and L/R Audio in) vs. just using RG-6 Coax??? Have you compared?

Im currently using Coax as it is all my cable box supports, but when I go to Satellite I will now have the option.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Are you talking composite? RG-6 is generally associated with the cable into the house that carries both audio and video, while composite is video only connection between components (like VCR and TV).

I'd say S-video to be better than composite, probably noticeably, and that it is WAY better than coax (RF out/in). You'd probably see better colors going from composite to s-vid, and better everything going from coax/RF to s-vid (that would include better audio).
Old 04-27-2004, 02:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Are you talking composite? RG-6 is generally associated with the cable into the house that carries both audio and video, while composite is video only connection between components (like VCR and TV).
Nope. I'm talking RG-6 Coax. Old school analog cable box! If you're running pretty good cable and have good connections and few splits, it can actually be very clear. I know mine is pretty clear.

Just wondering of those who have tried it, if there is a huge difference between the inputs on the PVR-250, given a clear source. I know my old IOMagic TV Tuner had a HORRIBLE coax-in, so I would convert it to s-video with a VCR first. The PVR-250 seems pretty clear even on the coax though.

I will definitely by running s-video when I switch to satellite. Looking forward to an even clearer picture.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hey Stranger,

How would I go about actually setting up the sage tv, using the serial port, is it just plug and play, or is there some setup needing done to change the channel??

I hope I know how to set everything up, once I get the 250, and install it, then what do I do?...Install sage?, then how do I go about getting the remote to work with all digital channels?

Also how will I know if the serial port is activated or not??

Also do any cables come with the turner, or if I have to buy them, what cables em' I going to need for the setup?...I would like to have all my "ducks in a row" for to say, once my turner comes.

Thanks, ccerj8
Old 04-27-2004, 03:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

Forgot to add another question to my previous post. This is something that I don't understand..Entirely

The 250 doesn't have a built in mpeg2 encoder, and I have read on some other posts about people talking about software decoders, em' I going to have to use a software decoder, and if so what are they...are they something like POWER DVD? or what?

Also with the 250, em' I still going to be able to play everything that I can on my computer on the tv?

Thank Ya' As always!

ccerj8 (also please answerr my question in my previous post)
Old 04-27-2004, 04:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
[B]The 250 doesn't have a built in mpeg2 encoder, and I have read on some other posts about people talking about software decoders, em' I going to have to use a software decoder, and if so what are they...are they something like POWER DVD? or what?
The 250 has a hardware ENCODER. So recording the video is fairly painless as the card does all the work. However, you are correct, you will need a software DECODER to watch the video. Software decoders come with various DVD packages, such as PowerDVD, NVDVD (which comes with many nVidia video cards, etc). So if you have already installed PowerDVD, then you already have an MPEG decoder and Sage will use it.

Old 04-27-2004, 05:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by sixdoubleo
Just wondering of those who have tried it, if there is a huge difference between the inputs on the PVR-250, given a clear source. I know my old IOMagic TV Tuner had a HORRIBLE coax-in, so I would convert it to s-video with a VCR first. The PVR-250 seems pretty clear even on the coax though.
Ah, the tuner/RF in on the 250 is the best I've used (that's out of a TV Wonder, WinTV PVR PCI, and the PVR 250), it's actually better than the tuner on my TV. I just run standard cable so I haven't used the S-Vid in much. Assuming DTV is better than cable, the S-Video signal should be noticeably better than an RF modulated one.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Well, I think six got your other question.

Quote:
Hey Stranger,

How would I go about actually setting up the sage tv, using the serial port, is it just plug and play, or is there some setup needing done to change the channel??

I hope I know how to set everything up, once I get the 250, and install it, then what do I do?...Install sage?, then how do I go about getting the remote to work with all digital channels?
Now as I said in the previos post, I'm limited to analog cable so I haven't had to deal with cable boxes. But you install the 250, then install Sage. When you start Sage the first time it will take you through a wizard where you tell it your source, how it's connected, etc. I assume in this you tell it your box is connected via serial.

Quote:
Also how will I know if the serial port is activated or not??
One way would be to call your cable company, tell them you're getting a Tivo (they won't know what Sage is) and ask them if you can use a serial cable or if you need IR. Otherwise search the net or ask here (probably in the HW forum).

Quote:
Also do any cables come with the turner, or if I have to buy them, what cables em' I going to need for the setup?...I would like to have all my "ducks in a row" for to say, once my turner comes.

Thanks, ccerj8
It doesn't come with much, you'll probably need an S-Video cable and a cable like I linked to above (go for the better Ratshack model the cheap ones fall appart).
Old 04-30-2004, 11:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hey Stranger, Got another question for ya'.

Could you possibly tell me how everything will hook up togather, such as what cable into what, and etc.

I would have my tv, dvd/vcr combo, cable box/sage, and playstation 2. Im really bad at knowing what lineup I should put that suff in, any help by anyone would be greatful.

Also, how would I tell if my tv has the right jacks, to support the tv out??

Thanks - ccerj8
Old 04-30-2004, 10:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Assuming you have the cable box/VCR/PS2 connected already, just move the cables that go from the cable box to the TV from the TV to the 250 (should be S-Video and L/R audio - you'll probably need a converter like I linked above).
Old 04-30-2004, 10:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

well, the only problem is, I don't have thoughs all hooked up right now, its such a mess of wires in my room, I currently have all my stuff spread over 2 tv's so I don't know how I will have to hook them up, sorry it could just be that easy for ya'.

Also, do u have a messenger chat,(msn) so it would be easier for me to talk to you though out my whole sage extravaganda??, I understand if you don't want to have to hold my hand through all of this, and understand if you don't want to help me anymore, but your so dang, intelligent about all this, it would be a shame for you to not give your smartness away :P

Thanks Alot.

CC
Old 05-02-2004, 09:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Sorry I haven't got back to about the setup bit, middle of finals/moving home/etc so I've been kind of busy. If you list your components I'll see if I can figure out how to hook it up.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ok Thanks,

Here are my conponents.

TV
PC W/ tv out W/ sage on it...(DUH)
Playstation2 "PS2"
DVD-VCR COMBO
Digital Cable Box

Also, what jacks will I have to have on my tv, to have everything play togather??, Im not sure what my tv has.?

Thanks, ccerj8