SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Java 8 error

Here is the Java Error.

Code:
HTTP ERROR 500

Problem accessing /apps/. Reason: 
    PWC6033: Unable to compile class for JSP

PWC6199: Generated servlet error:
The type java.util.Comparator cannot be resolved. It is indirectly referenced from required .class files

Caused by:
org.apache.jasper.JasperException: PWC6033: Unable to compile class for JSP

PWC6199: Generated servlet error:
The type java.util.Comparator cannot be resolved. It is indirectly referenced from required .class files

at org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.javacError(DefaultErrorHandler.java:123)
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.javacError(ErrorDispatcher.java:296)
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateClass(Compiler.java:376)
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:437)
	at org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:608)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:360)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:486)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:380)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:502)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:389)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:181)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:765)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:417)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.Dispatcher.forward(Dispatcher.java:334)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.Dispatcher.forward(Dispatcher.java:126)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.DefaultServlet.doGet(DefaultServlet.java:493)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:707)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1157)
	at org.mortbay.servlet.UserAgentFilter.doFilter(UserAgentFilter.java:81)
	at org.mortbay.servlet.GzipFilter.doFilter(GzipFilter.java:131)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1148)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:387)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:230)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.rewrite.RewriteHandler.handle(RewriteHandler.java:230)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:326)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:534)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConnection.java:864)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:539)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:212)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:404)
	at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:409)
	at org.mortbay.thread.QueuedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:520)
Old 11-08-2014, 12:09 PM
SageTVaholic

My guess is it has something to do with the container's (Jetty's) classloader and an issue with Java 8.

Do other plugins that run in Jetty (BMT, SageAlert) work or do they fail with the same error?

I can say right now I'm not going to pursue this beyond the following suggestions.

The plugin uses Jetty 6.x. The current version of Jetty is 9.x. If I wanted to try to fix this then I would replace all of the Jetty jars in Sage with the latest versions and just see if that gets it to run. But IIRC, there were some mods to the Jetty code to address various things within the Sage environment. So replacing the Jetty jars might lead to other regressions. But if you are definitely staying on Java 8 then backing up and replacing the current jetty jars can't do any damage since the plugin is broken anyway.

If someone did that and could confirm that just replacing the Jetty jars fixes the issue and confirm that the new jars also work with Java 7 then I could probably attempt a new build for release. But, as I said, I won't be attempting any such testing/validation on my own.
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...
Old 11-08-2014, 12:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
My guess is it has something to do with the container's (Jetty's) classloader and an issue with Java 8.

Do other plugins that run in Jetty (BMT, SageAlert) work or do they fail with the same error?

I can say right now I'm not going to pursue this beyond the following suggestions.

The plugin uses Jetty 6.x. The current version of Jetty is 9.x. If I wanted to try to fix this then I would replace all of the Jetty jars in Sage with the latest versions and just see if that gets it to run. But IIRC, there were some mods to the Jetty code to address various things within the Sage environment. So replacing the Jetty jars might lead to other regressions. But if you are definitely staying on Java 8 then backing up and replacing the current jetty jars can't do any damage since the plugin is broken anyway.

If someone did that and could confirm that just replacing the Jetty jars fixes the issue and confirm that the new jars also work with Java 7 then I could probably attempt a new build for release. But, as I said, I won't be attempting any such testing/validation on my own.
Where do I get the latest Jetty Jars I can test this right away on my test system.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:25 PM
SageTVaholic

http://download.eclipse.org/jetty/

Have a look in your Sage JARs folder and take a look at all the various jetty jars. We're 3 releases behind so the first major issue you may hit is that the jars aren't packaged the same way anymore -- I have no idea if that's the case I didn't download the 9.x build. I'm just warning you that it may not be a 1:1 replacement, you might have to mess around quite a bit.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
http://download.eclipse.org/jetty/

Have a look in your Sage JARs folder and take a look at all the various jetty jars. We're 3 releases behind so the first major issue you may hit is that the jars aren't packaged the same way anymore -- I have no idea if that's the case I didn't download the 9.x build. I'm just warning you that it may not be a 1:1 replacement, you might have to mess around quite a bit.
I copied over all the Jars to make sure and go this.

Code:
HTTP ERROR 500

Problem accessing /apps/. Reason: 
    javax.servlet.ServletContext.getJspConfigDescriptor()Ljavax/servlet/descriptor/JspConfigDescriptor;

Caused by:
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: javax.servlet.ServletContext.getJspConfigDescriptor()Ljavax/servlet/descriptor/JspConfigDescriptor;
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.JspConfig.processWebDotXml(JspConfig.java:106)
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.JspConfig.init(JspConfig.java:196)
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.JspConfig.findJspProperty(JspConfig.java:259)
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateJava(Compiler.java:166)
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:451)
	at org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:625)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:375)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:473)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:377)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:389)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.Dispatcher.forward(Dispatcher.java:334)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.Dispatcher.forward(Dispatcher.java:126)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.DefaultServlet.doGet(DefaultServlet.java:493)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:707)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1157)
	at org.mortbay.servlet.UserAgentFilter.doFilter(UserAgentFilter.java:81)
	at org.mortbay.servlet.GzipFilter.doFilter(GzipFilter.java:131)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1148)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:387)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:230)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.rewrite.RewriteHandler.handle(RewriteHandler.java:230)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:326)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:534)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConnection.java:864)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:539)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:212)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:404)
	at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:409)
	at org.mortbay.thread.QueuedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:520)
Old 11-08-2014, 05:28 PM
SageTVaholic

So Jetty 9.x uses servlet spec 3.0, Jetty 6.x definitely does not. In my JARs folder there is a servlet-api-2.5-6.1.19.jar. I'm guessing Jetty 9 provides the 3.0 version of this file (maybe not with the downloaded zip, not sure?). Did you upgrade that one as well? Upgrading that jar should fix that error.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:

BMT works fine under java 8.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Hmm... interesting. That means it's likely specific code in the web ui servlets that is causing the problems. If a Jetty upgrade doesn't fix that then it's safe to say it'll never be fixed (by me). But as I said, I'm more than willing to transfer ownership of the code repository to anyone wanting to take on ownership of the plugin.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

Slugger,

If you make a new release sometime, could I request that you remove the "Generated by Groovy TemplateServlet" comment added in SageTemplateServlet.java (lines 102-108)? I'd like to use a gsp to serve up JSON data, but the comment is problematic in that case.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Ticket it at the sf site, please. That's almost bad enough to warrant a new release. I cringe at having to build and release another version though, it's so legacy at this point I just close my eyes and hope for the best every time I build it.

The work around, I think, would be to use a .groovy instead of a .gsp as that should route it thru a different servlet. A little more work, but if you use the JsonBuilder, it shouldn't be too bad.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Ticket it at the sf site, please. That's almost bad enough to warrant a new release. I cringe at having to build and release another version though, it's so legacy at this point I just close my eyes and hope for the best every time I build it.

The work around, I think, would be to use a .groovy instead of a .gsp as that should route it thru a different servlet. A little more work, but if you use the JsonBuilder, it shouldn't be too bad.
Ticket Written.

And thanks for the workaround. I'll give that a try.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:57 PM
SageTVaholic

As of tonight, I have unsubscribed from this thread. What does this mean? It means I am no longer actively developing or supporting this plugin. All my plugins have actually been EOL'd since about 2012-2013, but tonight I unsubscribe from these threads which means I no longer get instant email notifications when people post. I'm not leaving, I'm still a user, I'm still around these forums, but I no longer support these out of date plugins and since I don't sub to these threads any longer, I may or may not notice your questions and therefore may or may not answer them -- assume that I won't, certainly not in a timely manner.

This also means I will never release another version of this plugin to the repository. I remain the owner of the plugin in the repository, but will approve a transfer if requested. No one has taken me up on that offer since my original announcement many weeks back. Unless someone does, there will be no more releases of this plugin.

Last edited by Slugger; 03-25-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
This also means I will never release another version of this plugin to the repository. I remain the owner of the plugin in the repository, but will approve a transfer if requested. No one has taken me up on that offer since my original announcement many weeks back. Unless someone does, there will be no more releases of this plugin.
I took you up on it when you made the offer and Opus4 transferred the ownership to me at the end of February. I don't plan to make any releases unless something breaks.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Had a strange occurrence late this afternoon on one of my SageTV servers. When trying to select a recording via extender or on the server UI, I was getting the spinning circle for very long periods. When I logged into the server remotely, I immediately went to the Web UI (via Internet Explorer) to see what was happening presently - it asked me for my username and password, and upon the autologin with the saved user/pass the IE window just sat there looking for the web ui, never did find it, IP address looked good.

I uninstalled the plugin, and all seems well now. I'm planning to reinstall the plugin tomorrow, but if I experience the same issue, can someone give me a few pointers on how/where to start troubleshooting this?

(I did verify that Java hasn't been updated on this machine since March 2014, so still running version 6, and all other windows updates are disabled, so that machine itself hasn't changed)
Old 05-20-2015, 03:28 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Had a strange occurrence late this afternoon on one of my SageTV servers. When trying to select a recording via extender or on the server UI, I was getting the spinning circle for very long periods. When I logged into the server remotely, I immediately went to the Web UI (via Internet Explorer) to see what was happening presently - it asked me for my username and password, and upon the autologin with the saved user/pass the IE window just sat there looking for the web ui, never did find it, IP address looked good.

I uninstalled the plugin, and all seems well now. I'm planning to reinstall the plugin tomorrow, but if I experience the same issue, can someone give me a few pointers on how/where to start troubleshooting this?

(I did verify that Java hasn't been updated on this machine since March 2014, so still running version 6, and all other windows updates are disabled, so that machine itself hasn't changed)
I have been getting many recordings that will not play in SageTV, nor the extenders and give the spinning circle when you try to play them. Oddly these files play fine in VLC and on one of my machines play in WIndows Media Player, but the other machine (exact same version of WMP) it won't play. I'm guessing that the oddity between machines and WMP is due to the codec(s) it is using being different on each machine. I haven't looked at that yet, but the important thing is they will NOT play in SageTV, but will in VLC.
When this happens and I get the spinning circle (probably 45 seconds to a minute sometimes) on one of these recordings SageTV, nor any of its plugins won't respond at all. If I hit the power button on the extender remote and immediately fire it back up the server can't be found until after the spinning circle has stopped and SageTV has dropped back to the menu.

I'm just saying this because if it is a recording like mine (Comcast cable is the culprit) then the WebUI may not be the problem.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post

I have seen this happen when the JVM runs out of memory. Really laggy response of UIs on extenders and servers and intermittent response from the web UI. Did you try restarting the SageTV service and/or rebooting the PC dirst?
Old 05-20-2015, 06:00 PM
SageTVaholic

We did a bunch of computer reboots, along with full powerdown of all hardware involved for a few minutes. WayneDunham might be on to something though. The only thing that really changes on that computer is that it adds and removes TV recordings - I'll have to reinstall the webui plugin after a while and see if it works again.

I have been following some suggestions in other threads that give some explanation of the Sage logging - I think I probably need to start there. Not sure how Sage works, but my primary concern with any logging is the shear amount of data to sift through to find a problem.

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Been looking at Github & SourceForge repositories but can't seem to find the source for the latest version, 2.43, of the SageTV Web UI. The latest I can find is v2.30 on SourceForge? Is the source for latest version available publicly anywhere?
Old 07-23-2015, 10:01 PM
Sage Icon

I think the latest was over on http://sourceforge.net/projects/sageplugins/ but I can't browse the code through the CVS web interface. I have a local copy somewhere and can dig it up if you want it.
SageTV: SageTV Server 7.1.8 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04, SageTV Placeshifter for Mac 6.6.2, SageTV Client 7.0.15 for Windows, Linux Placeshifter 7.1.8 on Server and Client
, Java 1.6.
Plugins: Jetty, Nielm's Web Server, Mobile Web Interface.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:16 AM
SageTVaholic

2.43 source code is here:

http://sourceforge.net/p/sagetv-addo.../ci/2.43/tree/