SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 11:18 AM
Sage Icon

Just to clarify - do you need an external piece of hardware to run PlayOn (such as those suggested on their site front page) or is this just a piece of software and your SageTV server is the "hardware"? I thought the latter, but I just read something that made it sound like you needed some other hardware?

Not that it really matters - it appears that my server is woefully short, on the processing side, of using PlayOn. See my sig.

Now I have to ask the wife, "how much would this functionality be worth to you?" (i.e., the cost of a new server PC along with buying PlayOn, plus the time required to move everything over and get the new system up and running, etc.). I have a feeling I already know the answer...
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:24 AM
SageTVaholic

You don't need any extra hardware.

Playon is $30 right now - that should be all the cost - assuming you have a beefier PC somewhere to install it on. If not then you are looking at needing a new server of some sort to serve up Playon. Note that it doesn't have to be the Sage Server.

btl.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
I have playon running on a another PC other than the Sage Server and it works perfectly no need to change any settings.
Excellent!

Does anyone have Playon running on a WHS Sage Server? If so I am wondering if you are just letting Playon default to C drive or using a symlink to your pool. I am hoping someone with better experience is using a symlink and can walk me through this.

Directions for symlink are about half way down this page with the heading of "How do I install on a different drive"?

http://www.themediamall.com/faq
Old 09-28-2009, 11:42 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrems View Post
Any ideas of how I can get this to work properly? What am I doing wrong?
do you have a hd200? can you connect to the playon server in standalone mode?
Old 09-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Sage User

Is it possible to get the seasons to show up in the netflix queue? I have a number of seasons added to my queue but the only thing that shows up are the movies that I added.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Sage Icon

I do have an HD200 and have not tested it in standalone mode yet. At one point a while back I had playon installed (trial) and used the standalone mode but it never floated my boat all that much. My interest is renewed since this new solution offers compatibility with my extender.

I'll test that out again and let you know. Good call. I was just focused on trying to get it work from my server that I hadn't thought that far down the road.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipshod View Post
Have you seen this chicken? He rocks.
It's actually a penguin, evil one, but yes, he DOES rock!

I haven't actually tried this plugin yet, but can't wait. Buying PlayOn now and will test it tonight.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco340 View Post
Is it possible to get the seasons to show up in the netflix queue? I have a number of seasons added to my queue but the only thing that shows up are the movies that I added.
Getting TV shows to show up in Netflix is actually kind of difficult. Sage only allows you have to format your Online Service feed like
Code:
Category -> Sub Category -> Content
And of those item's Category and Sub Category have to be hardcoded into your customOnlineServices feed and then Content is pulled out of an RSS feed.

Right now the only way i'd be able to do it would be to dump all of the episodes individually into the list with movies which, if you have a lot of TV show's in your Queue like I do, could flood it and make it a pain to navigate.

Ideally, to really get things working in a usable way, i'd need the ability to dynamically generate N levels of subcategories.

For example...
Code:
Netflix -> Queue TV Shows
Would download an RSS feed that, rather than having content, contained additional subcategories and their RSS feed links. Then i'd be able to organize like
Code:
Netflix -> Queue TV Shows -> Shows -> Episodes
And i'd also be able to do neat things like...
Code:
ABC -> Lost -> Seasons -> Episodes

Last edited by evilpenguin; 09-28-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:52 PM
SageTVaholic

So far this is a no go for me. I downloaded and installed the PlayOn trial. I can navigate to each Category and subcategory and I get a list of episides but when I click on the epsode I get an error message that the file is no longer available. After a few attempts I started receiving an error that the file was no longer available but it seemed to be looking in the temp directory of my computer..

There seems to be nothing to configure in PlayOn once it's installed? I do have a HuLu user ID and password so I entered that.

I am just trying HuLu content, I do not use Netflix.

I'm testing on a SageClient PC.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Sage Icon

It works!!

My problem was fixed once I was able to get WMP 11 installed. It was kind of a series of problems; WMP 11 wouldn’t install without Update Rollup 2…Update rollup 2 wouldn’t install without .net framework 1.1 and the sp1 for 1.1. Once those 3 pieces were installed everything just worked.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
So far this is a no go for me. I downloaded and installed the PlayOn trial. I can navigate to each Category and subcategory and I get a list of episides but when I click on the epsode I get an error message that the file is no longer available. After a few attempts I started receiving an error that the file was no longer available but it seemed to be looking in the temp directory of my computer..

There seems to be nothing to configure in PlayOn once it's installed? I do have a HuLu user ID and password so I entered that.

I am just trying HuLu content, I do not use Netflix.

I'm testing on a SageClient PC.
Is your error the same as what I was experiencing for Hulu:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...6&postcount=39
Old 09-28-2009, 01:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrems View Post
It works!!

My problem was fixed once I was able to get WMP 11 installed. It was kind of a series of problems; WMP 11 wouldn’t install without Update Rollup 2…Update rollup 2 wouldn’t install without .net framework 1.1 and the sp1 for 1.1. Once those 3 pieces were installed everything just worked.
I didn't know WMP 11 was a requirement, thanks for the heads up I'll add it to the list.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:05 PM
Sage Icon

Not sure that it is a requirement...

At the same time, some combination of WMP 11, .net framework 1.1 and .net framework 1.1 SP1 was the solution for my problems... Oh, and Update Rollup 2... I'm using XP Media Center 2005.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:06 PM
Sage Icon

BTW, AWESOME work!
Old 09-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpenguin View Post
I didn't know WMP 11 was a requirement, thanks for the heads up I'll add it to the list.
WMP9+ is a requirement (but I too had to update to 11 for one of the dlls). I think another user went to WMP10 and was OK.

running regsvr32 on the ct.dll file in the playon directory will let you know if you have a dll error that could be solved by upgrading WMP and/or downgrading IE8.

Last edited by matt91; 09-28-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Also remember on WHS or Windows 2003 Server:

From their FAQ:
Quote:
PlayOn for Windows Home Server and Windows Server 2003
PlayOn generally works great on WHS and Windows Server 2003. You may, however, need to disable "Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration". See below for specific instructions.
Disabling "Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration"

1. Click Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.
2. Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
3. After a few seconds a window will pop-up. Click the check mark next to Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration (to make it unchecked). If you'd like to only disable it for Administrators or only for Users you can click Details and do so.
4. Press Next, let it finish, and it's complete. Verify that it's disabled by opening Internet Explorer. You should see a message: "Caution: Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration is not enabled".
Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

Playon told me I needed wmp 11 before it would install.

Nothing is showing up in my hulu que even though I have stuff in it. I'll keep looking.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

In regards to the subcategory issue, I did notice that sometimes netflix movies are dropped into subfolders in the playon structure. I added bladerunner a few days ago and it never showed up in my rss feed, but it was in the online queue. When I used UPnP inspector to see what was going on, I found out that PlayOn was adding subfolders in the netflix queue (at least for this particular film).
Old 09-28-2009, 02:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
It's actually a penguin, evil one, but yes, he DOES rock!
You need to watch "The Wrong Trousers"... Hysterical, especially the "Have you seen this chicken" part.
Clients: 2x HD300, 1x HD200 Extenders, 1x Placeshifter
2x Roku XD
Old 09-28-2009, 02:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipshod View Post
You need to watch "The Wrong Trousers"... Hysterical, especially the "Have you seen this chicken" part.
Confusion: solved
Closed Thread

Tags
amazon vod, hulu, internet video streaming, netflix, online content, online services, online videos, playon