SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-27-2009, 08:25 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Definitely agree that you should at least tell us WHY you want the files to not show up in recorded anymore.
no no no............i DO want them to show up in recorded, just moved to a different location (on my NAS and not stored on recording PC).

why you ask?

1. i want to be able to play recordings around the house without powering up a PC (saves power)
2. i have non-hd200 network media players in the house that also have to be supported and of course they cannot work as sage extenders (i will go to an all sage media player household when there is support for HD audio and/or hdmi1.3 in the media player...........nag nag nag)
3. i want to maintain my household strategy of recordings split among different recording directories, one for my recordings, one for my daughter's, etc........because sage cannot specify separate recording directories per recording, i will have to manage this manually

thanks folks................all my test hdpvr recordings look fine from yesterday so i've moved all my hdpvr/stb favorites over to sage and have btv disabled........lots of recordings coming up this week should be a good stress test of managing all the tuners but it looks like i have everything migrated now............still have some already viewed in BTV 'firstruns' that are going to be re-recorded since sage doesn't know i've already watched and deleted them but that should wind down a lot after the 1st week of sage recordings with the hdpvr..............looking good here

Last edited by cat6man; 09-27-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:34 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
You can freely move files between recording directories and import directories and Sage will still find them. If the files were "recorded shows" before the move, they will be "recorded shows" after the move - even if you move them to an import directory.
exactly what i want............

Quote:
If the files were "imported" they will remain imported - even if you move them to a recording directory. The "status" of a show as recorded or imported is not dependent on where it is physically located. It's depended on if the show information resides in the Sage database (wiz.bin) or not.

It's odd that you are trying to to get a "recorded show" to become an "imported video" when most of us try to avoid that like the plague and actually try to do the opposite
probably me using sloppy terminology.............there are no imported files, only moving 'recorded' shows to NAS where some 'imported directories' were created for various purposes (my shows, my daughter's shows, my wife's shows, etc)

no issues with importing, videos or anything other than moving sage recorded shows from D: drive on PC to 'imported directories' on NAS

[/QUOTE]

Quote:

BTW - If you create a .bat file to stop and then restart the service you do not have to worry about "overriding" the automatic service restart. The service only restarts automatically if it terminates abnormally. So the bat file is simple:

stop SageTV
move .......
start SageTV

Each time the service starts it automatically runs a scan of your recording and import directories.
bingo! solves that issue..........thx

Last edited by cat6man; 09-27-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:59 AM
Sage Icon

You could also put the batch file as part of your startup process so that if you had a power failure at any point during the process it would pick up where it left off (for all practical purposes) after a restart: i.e.

net stop sagetv
copy group 1 files to destination
delete group 1 files from source
copy group 2 files to destination
delete group 2 files from source
and so on......
net start sagetv

During cold startup the net stop sagetv would just give the "SageTV service is not running" message - and then the batch would run through the rest of it's processes and start the service.

EDIT: To do it this way, you would need to set your Sage service as manual startup but leave your service recovery settings intact.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT

Last edited by HelenWeathers; 09-27-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:41 AM
Sage Fanatic

is the batch command

stop sagetv

or

net stop sagetv
Old 09-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat6man View Post
is the batch command

stop sagetv

or

net stop sagetv
net stop sagetv.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 09-27-2009, 09:48 AM
Sage Fanatic

thanks.......i'll set that modified script to run tonight.

as for failure during execution of script, i consider that a 'double error' leg with low probability since i'm on a ups (ups shows 24 incidents/triggers since it was set up for my recording system about a year ago...........haven't had any failures yet that impacted pc or recording system but my buffalotech NAS don't always restart after a short power glitch without manually resetting their power buttons.........lousy design on their part)
Old 09-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
.......still have some already viewed in BTV 'firstruns' that are going to be re-recorded since sage doesn't know i've already watched and deleted them but that should wind down a lot after the 1st week of sage recordings with the hdpvr..............looking good here
When you see a scheduled recording that you have already watched, you can select the scheduled recording, go to advanced options and set the watched flag for that episode. After a few moments the episode will disappear from your upcoming recordings list.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:06 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenWeathers View Post
When you see a scheduled recording that you have already watched, you can select the scheduled recording, go to advanced options and set the watched flag for that episode. After a few moments the episode will disappear from your upcoming recordings list.
oooh..........very cool.......thx again

edit: even easier in sage web tool..........upcoming recordings, select recording, select 'set to watched'
excellent!

Last edited by cat6man; 09-27-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:46 AM
SageTVaholic

I'm curious, what advantage are you getting from moving your recordings to a different drive? They are still displayed together in sage, so location is really quite irrelevant.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-29-2009, 06:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I'm curious, what advantage are you getting from moving your recordings to a different drive? They are still displayed together in sage, so location is really quite irrelevant.
I believe he uses different network players for playback of those files also.

Quote:
2. i have non-hd200 network media players in the house that also have to be supported and of course they cannot work as sage extenders (i will go to an all sage media player household when there is support for HD audio and/or hdmi1.3 in the media player...........nag nag nag)
Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
You can freely move files between recording directories and import directories and Sage will still find them. If the files were "recorded shows" before the move, they will be "recorded shows" after the move - even if you move them to an import directory.
Ha, Ha Ha, Ha Ha, HAHAHAHA.

Sorry, I couldn't hold back. I know this works for most people, but man, it doesn't work for me! Oh well, maybe after the next format and reinstall.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:51 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_l View Post
Ha, Ha Ha, Ha Ha, HAHAHAHA.

Sorry, I couldn't hold back. I know this works for most people, but man, it doesn't work for me! Oh well, maybe after the next format and reinstall.

you're scaring me .........................didn't get around to testing this over the weekend............planning to do so tonight with a 2am script that moves the day's recordings to the NAS and another script to stop/start sage service

by the way, is there a way to check is sage is busy recording or not? (so i can use that as a switch to determine if i should stop sage now or wait a bit?)
Old 09-29-2009, 03:53 PM
Sage Fanatic

actually, i should change the title of the thread...............i am now drenched head to foot and shaking the excess water out of my hair.............all my
favorites/recordings and 6 tuners (2 hdhr/qam, 2 hdhr/ota, 2 hdpvr/stb) are migrated to sage
Old 09-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
I believe he uses different network players for playback of those files also.

Gerry
yes, i have non-sage network media players but also i don't want to have to run a power hungry PC when the files can reside on an NAS........both compelling reasons for me (your mileage, of course, may vary)

cheers
Old 09-29-2009, 06:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
yes, i have non-sage network media players but also i don't want to have to run a power hungry PC when the files can reside on an NAS........both compelling reasons for me (your mileage, of course, may vary)

cheers
I understand the first one, but seeing as how the sage server needs to be up anyways, you're better off just keeping all your storage in that. better performance keeping the storage local as well.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:45 PM
Sage Fanatic

why does sage server need to be up anyway?
i'm assuming it can be powered down when not recording, right?
Old 09-29-2009, 07:03 PM
SageTVaholic

well, depends.. if you are going to be running your extenders and such in extender mode, then it needs to be up for playback as well. honestly, I think you'd be happier with it up all the time, and running in extender, than switching between extender and standalone all the time, depending on if the server is up for recording at that time.

Also realize that with multiple people, the percentage of recording versus non-recording time will inevitably increase over time. I believe the best setup in your situation would be a very low-powered server, with all your storage, up 24 hours, doing nothing but recording and serving to extenders. Then, if you want to do more heavy processing, you can use a more powerful computer (your normal desktop, or whatever) to process the files (comskip, etc) each morning/night/whatever, then shutdown when done.

Last edited by Fuzzy; 09-29-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:51 PM
Sage Fanatic

i understand........i may move in that direction eventually
thx
Old 10-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Sage Fanatic

new question:

at 3am, i'm moving the day's recordings to an NAS, restarting sage service
and sage finds (yea!) those recordings so they still show up in sage recordings, now with an 'archived' indication.

however, i now get the same shows being re-recorded this morning.
ex: last night i recorded the daily show from 11:00-11:30PM, moved it to NAS at 3am, but this morning at 9:00am sage re-recorded the same show................is there a setting/procedure i missed? settings for the daily show favorite are 'first run only'
Old 10-02-2009, 12:13 PM
SageTVaholic

It sounds like the show ID is different for the two shows so Sage thinks it's a different airing. Does this only happen with shows tha tyou moved?

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.