SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-13-2009, 10:24 AM
Sage Fanatic

i shut the process down in windows task manager
Old 09-13-2009, 11:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat6man View Post
i shut the process down in windows task manager
That is why it isn't workin right for you.. You have to shut down the service with the SageTVServiceControl application (it's in the SageTV folder of your Start menu). This will basically temporarily turn off the automatic recovery that is otherwise happening if you use taskmanager to 'end task'.

Also, changes made to the properties file before closing sage will not stick, as the properties file is basically rewritten on exit with what is currently in memory, hus overwriting any changes you might had made. so:

Shut Down SageTV UI
ShutDown SageTV Service with SageTVServiceControl
open sage.properties
edit
save
restart SageTV Service with SageTVServiceControl
restart SageTV UI

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-13-2009, 11:37 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
How are you shutting down your service? I have service recovery turned on too, but the service doesn't start back up automatically if I shut down the service using Sage's service control utility.
This is what I do as well, works fine. If you use Task Manager to kill the service it will restart (as you've seen) and that will not allow the STVi installs to complete. You MUST stop the service or bad things will happen

I've never seen those problems with the HDHR scan from within Sage as long as the scan was done properly within the HRHR setup first. (You must use the HDHR scan/setup on both HDHR tuners.)

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post

I've never seen those problems with the HDHR scan from within Sage as long as the scan was done properly within the HRHR setup first. (You must use the HDHR scan/setup on both HDHR tuners.)
this was ota, not cable qam.........i thought there was no need to do the hdhr scan for ota?

in any case, it worked after a restart of sage
Old 09-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Sage Fanatic

now have cable qam working with 2 tuners on sage...........and 2 on ota

problem is i can't see them separately in epg, since the channel names overlap,
i.e. wabcdt exists for both ota and cable...........for example i see the ota (2.1) but not the cable (502) case

can i get them both to show up in epg somehow?
Old 09-13-2009, 01:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

i.e. wabcdt exists for both ota and cable...........for example i see the ota (2.1) but not the cable (502) case

Sage will combine channels if their name is the same (i.e. both are wabcdt) if I am not mistaken. Is there a reason you need to have them separate?
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 09-13-2009, 02:30 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
Sage will combine channels if their name is the same (i.e. both are wabcdt) if I am not mistaken. Is there a reason you need to have them separate?
just to be able to have more control.........probably not essential.

with btv, i had the ability to set tuners priorities, so i could make
the ota or cable tuners be used before the other..........it doesn't matter
so much that the epg is merged, but i'd like to be able to say if cable or ota
tuner is given preference
Old 09-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

You don't generally need to have seperate listings in the EPG. You can control which tuner is favored for a channel (OTA vs cQam) by setting encoder_merit property (guess where? sage.properties).

I have forced a seperate listing using DirecTV and OTA EPGuides by using the base channel name for one and the digital name for the other (WTVJ [Sat 10] & WTVJDT [OTA 10-1]). This works on on DirecTV because both channels have the same number and programming on DirecTV with the HiDef version always tuned on the STB. Don't know if this way would work for you.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 09-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenWeathers View Post
You don't generally need to have seperate listings in the EPG. You can control which tuner is favored for a channel (OTA vs cQam) by setting encoder_merit property (guess where? sage.properties).
agreed............now i know that 'encoder_merit' is where i can set precendence.
thanks

p.s. is there a FAQ which discusses the options that can be set in sage.properties?
Old 09-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Is there a FAQ which discusses the options that can be set in sage.properties?
Appendix A of the SageTV manual gives a brief description (honorable mention) of those in existance at the time. New ones are added from time to time to cover new equipment (like the HD PVR) and may not be in the manual. The one thing lacking in the manual is the range of settings for each, like 0-8 or 0-6000 etc.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 09-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Sage Fanatic

thanks (once again)!
Old 09-13-2009, 06:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
just to be able to have more control.........probably not essential.

with btv, i had the ability to set tuners priorities, so i could make
the ota or cable tuners be used before the other..........it doesn't matter
so much that the epg is merged, but i'd like to be able to say if cable or ota
tuner is given preference
I know this has already been covered (thanks Helen), but that was my guess as to why you wanted two channels to list the same thing. I do this very thing with my one OTA channel and my 3 QAM channels, if for SOME reason I absolutely needed that 4th recording then the OTA tuner will be used, but otherwise it will default to the 3 QAM tuners.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 09-13-2009, 07:28 PM
Sage Fanatic

exactly, and if cable goes out, ota is available as a backup
Old 09-13-2009, 07:37 PM
Sage Fanatic

i want to have 2 directories to record into, one for me and one for my daughter.

i can't see how to schedule a recording and let me select the directory it goes into............am i missing something?
Old 09-13-2009, 08:57 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
i can't see how to schedule a recording and let me select the directory it goes into............am i missing something?
I think this is one of the things I lost when I left Beyond TV. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. This has been suggested for upgrade to SageTV. ie Connecting specific recordings to specific users.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I think this is one of the things I lost when I left Beyond TV. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. This has been suggested for upgrade to SageTV. ie Connecting specific recordings to specific users.
You are correct Helen. This isn't currently implementated. While this isn't important to me yet, I can see once my wife and I start having children that we would want some kind of filtering based on Users.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
for me, not necessarily to specific users, but to specific recording directories.

in addition to per user directories, one might have a movie directory, a '30 rock' directory, etc
Old 09-15-2009, 10:54 AM
Sage Fanatic

well, i have all my hdhr tuners available in sage.........next step i'll try creating all my favorites that are clearQAM available and have sage record those

if that goes well, i'll move on to hdpvr and firewire channel change next weekend

so far, so good and only thing lacking is ability to record to specific directories on a per recording/favorite basis...............is there a specific official mechanism to request features (other than here on the forum)?

edit: and of course (insert obligatory nagging here) we need a hd300 media player/extender with hdmi1.3 for HD audio on BD
Old 09-15-2009, 01:20 PM
Sage User

Quote:
for me, not necessarily to specific users, but to specific recording directories.

in addition to per user directories, one might have a movie directory, a '30 rock' directory, etc
DirMon should be able to do this. Not the most desirable, but a possible workaround if its necessary.

1. Add the second (daughter's) directory as a recording directory in Sage.
2. Add the job in dirmon to move files to this directory if they match certain criteria.
3. Then somehow rebuild the sage database so it shows up in recordings.

#3 might be a problem. But a script called by DirMon when the job runs might do the trick.

Recording directories are transparent inside the UI, so I'm not sure what you'll gain by actually getting this to work.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:03 PM
Sage Icon

Also keep in mind, that if you set your Recorded TV view option to Folder it will automatically group TV series into one folder (in the UI) and when you select the series folder it will display all episodes of that series.