SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbyrd View Post
Was this a response to my post? If so, there is only one box, not two. I can't have just a network encoder.
hmm... from your post it looked like you are running a win7 VM in vmware server with the host being a linux box...

run sage as a network encoder on the linux box (host) and sage server in the win7 VM... due to the number of plugins (not the least of which is playon) that are windows based i am likely to switch to this config shortly.

/jer

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 w/ SageTV Server Linux V9.1.8.774 - Ubuntu 16.04LTS AMD64
-- 1x HDHomeRun Prime
-- 1x HDHR-DT
-- 1x HD-PVR
2x SageTV HD-300 Media Extenders
1x NVIDIA ShieldTV
Old 07-14-2010, 10:18 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoop View Post
hmm... from your post it looked like you are running a win7 VM in vmware server with the host being a linux box...

run sage as a network encoder on the linux box (host) and sage server in the win7 VM... due to the number of plugins (not the least of which is playon) that are windows based i am likely to switch to this config shortly.

/jer

I am an idiot. Thanks for spelling it out. I was confused by the term "linux box" when you meant host, but I jumped the gun and assumed you had not read my post clearly. You did, and making the linux host a network encoder is clever. But, I think I don't understand enough about network encoders. Does the network encoder actually write to disk or does it just pass off the data stream to the Sage server? That is will the data go like this:

Code:
HDHR ---> Linux host (as network encoder) --> Disk
or

HD
Code:
HR ---> Linux host (as network encoder) --> Win7 VM (as Sage server) --> SMB mounted drive (from Linux host) --> Samba on Linux host --> Disk.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:23 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbyrd View Post
I am an idiot. Thanks for spelling it out. I was confused by the term "linux box" when you meant host, but I jumped the gun and assumed you had not read my post clearly. You did, and making the linux host a network encoder is clever. But, I think I don't understand enough about network encoders. Does the network encoder actually write to disk or does it just pass off the data stream to the Sage server? That is will the data go like this:

Code:
HDHR ---> Linux host (as network encoder) --> Disk
or

HD
Code:
HR ---> Linux host (as network encoder) --> Win7 VM (as Sage server) --> SMB mounted drive (from Linux host) --> Samba on Linux host --> Disk.
no worries, to be honest i was hoping someone would try it first if UNC paths are used i was hoping the encoder would do the writing but i haven't set it up yet. if it's the latter (and it may very well be) then i am curious about performance in general. i am waiting for stock of a bundle of a new hd200 and sagetv for windows to try it. the stability of the HDPVR in linux is something i do not wish to give away, along with the ability to use multiple hauppauge IR blasters.

/jer

-- 1x HDHomeRun Prime
-- 1x HDHR-DT
-- 1x HD-PVR
1x NVIDIA ShieldTV
Old 07-14-2010, 11:52 AM
Sage Aficionado

Ok, I don't think using a network encoder buys me anything. Currently I have an HDHomeRun, a Linux host running Samba, and a Win7 VM running Sage v7.

Sage v7 accesses the HDHomeRun over the network, then writes to a UNC path that leads to the Samba server on the Linux host. I did play with the networking config in the VM a bit to dedicate a host-only network to access Samba on the host. So, I don't think a network encoder setup buys me anything.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoop View Post
no worries, to be honest i was hoping someone would try it first if UNC paths are used i was hoping the encoder would do the writing but i haven't set it up yet. if it's the latter (and it may very well be) then i am curious about performance in general. i am waiting for stock of a bundle of a new hd200 and sagetv for windows to try it. the stability of the HDPVR in linux is something i do not wish to give away, along with the ability to use multiple hauppauge IR blasters.

/jer
for those browsing the forums this is not a supported configuration according to support... linux can't be a network encoder for windows platforms.

oh well

/jer

-- 1x HDHomeRun Prime
-- 1x HDHR-DT
-- 1x HD-PVR
1x NVIDIA ShieldTV