SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoSage View Post
I do too but use my laptop. Do you simply prefer the smaller screen or do you not bring your laptop with you?
For me, it's all about battery life. Obviously, the bigger screen is better and so I do use my laptop sometimes. However, most of the time I need to save my battery for actual work. I can load the IPod touch with shows and music and the battery lasts all day. This saves my laptop battery and then I can use it for a full day as well (I could carry multiple laptop batteries, but they are heavier than the IPod touch).

Another reason I use the small screen is anytime I watch a movie with a rating over PG. There are times when I want to watch an action movie on the plane. However, I don't want to subject everyone around me to all the violence (there might be children around). In these cases I prefer the small screen.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Sage Aficionado

All very good reasons. I use a 3M Privacy Filter which is a plastic screen that does not allow anyone to view my screen from the side. Aside from not allowing someone to view a non-PG movie, more importantly it keeps company documents confidential.

As for conserving battery life, I travel mainly Air Canada and almost all their airplanes have standard electrical receptacles at each seat so I never have to worry about conserving battery power. I have noticed, though, that US airlines use much older planes these days and there are no receptacles.

So I don't think I'll be doing transcoding on my new SageTV system.

Displays: Panasonic 65" P65S2 & 50" PX77E plasmas, 19", 26" & 32" LCDs, 4 HD200s
Source: 2 HD-PVRs, Rogers Toronto SA 8300HD PVR, 4250HD firewire tuned, WHS, SageTV, Sonos 1xZP100 & 3xZP120 wireless audio, Gigabyte GA45-E45-UD3R mobo, 2.5 GHz Core 2 Duo E5200 (2MB L2), Nvidia GeForce 96400GT, 120GB OS drive, 1 & 1.5 TB WD Caviar Green, Mushkin 2GB DDR2 800 SDRAM, El Cheapo case, Corsair 520HX modular Power Supply.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorforyou View Post
I use the following with the most recent ffmpeg revision 16596
-f matroska -vcodec mpeg4 -qscale 6 -acodec copy

This provides a good quality rip from the hd-pvr files that are 720p.

It usually works with 1080i, but not always.

The release notes from the latest ffmpeg .05 seem to indicate that the paff header problem might be resolved. I hope that someone compiles the new version for windows soon.
so, with the release of 6.6, we still have the HD-PVR converting audio sync problem. It was working for a while during the beta, but then there were problems with audio dropouts, when that was fixed the sync problems returned. Is it still a problem with the ffmpeg code base itself?

Or is it because I'm using older HD-PVR drivers maybe? I think mine are still from Oct. '08, which I keep using because everything "just works." I'm still getting that high pitched tone at the start of the recording, not sure, maybe that was something to do with the conversion issues and was fixed in a later driver.
Client: HD300, Asus Pundit P1-AH1, AMD 3800+ X2 CPU, 1 GB RAM, 6150 graphics, ArcSoft decoders
Backup: Synology
SageTV version: FINAL
Old 07-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelme View Post
so, with the release of 6.6, we still have the HD-PVR converting audio sync problem. It was working for a while during the beta, but then there were problems with audio dropouts, when that was fixed the sync problems returned. Is it still a problem with the ffmpeg code base itself?

Or is it because I'm using older HD-PVR drivers maybe? I think mine are still from Oct. '08, which I keep using because everything "just works." I'm still getting that high pitched tone at the start of the recording, not sure, maybe that was something to do with the conversion issues and was fixed in a later driver.
I just tried this out also and the converting worked fine with the exception of the audio sync. So much for watching stuff while taking the bus to the office etc.

And I am using the latest drivers for the HD-PVR.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:42 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahrl View Post
I just tried this out also and the converting worked fine with the exception of the audio sync. So much for watching stuff while taking the bus to the office etc.

And I am using the latest drivers for the HD-PVR.
OK, it's not my drivers and it's still broken. Bummer.

I find Mediacoder (using mencoder as the backend) works OK for conversions.
Client: HD300, Asus Pundit P1-AH1, AMD 3800+ X2 CPU, 1 GB RAM, 6150 graphics, ArcSoft decoders
Old 07-31-2009, 11:54 AM
Sage Icon

FWIW, I ended up rolling my own solution to this problem.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:39 PM
Sage Icon

Looking for recommendations for transcoding for my daughters netbook... it would make the car trips much more enjoyable. I seems to choke on files as recorded.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by briands View Post
Looking for recommendations for transcoding for my daughters netbook... it would make the car trips much more enjoyable. I seems to choke on files as recorded.
First off make sure you are recording in 720p format. Once I set my cable box to output 720p format, I had no problems with the sagetv transcoder. I would recommend iPhone format. It looks good on a screen that size, and it's small on the HD.

Last edited by mikejaner; 08-23-2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-24-2009, 06:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by briands View Post
At least until recently, all netbooks only had hardware MPEG2 decoding and so therefore any h.264 encoded videos will choke on it. So keep that in mind when transcoding.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 08-24-2009, 06:31 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
At least until recently, all netbooks only had hardware MPEG2 decoding and so therefore any h.264 encoded videos will choke on it. So keep that in mind when transcoding.
HD ones yes, but the profile I recommended (iPhone), does not choke it. I have a Lenovo netbook, which is the same as all the other netbooks, and I have watched a few videos this way.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Sage Expert

It looks like there hasn't been any progress on this. I am using the latest v7 beta and am trying to automatically transcode HDPVR 1080i files to apple widescreen format, but the audio is either way out of sync of choppy. Switching my boxes to only 720p severely degrade the picture quality of the 1080i channels, so that's not an option. Anyone else have any luck getting this working?
Old 08-12-2010, 08:37 AM
Sage Expert

Ok, there may be a fix/workaround for transcoding troubles with the HDPVR. Apparently there are issues with the DTS data in the files that the HDPVR creates. Sage support offered the following solution. I am in the process of testing it now:

"OK, I finally figured this one out. It's due to the HDPVR generating bad
files (technically, their DTS values are incorrect and lag behind the PTS
way too much). We've seen this before and have no idea why it occurs; but
it's something wrong with the HDPVR. Fortunately....there's a solution.

If you set this in your Sage.properties file, it'll workaround the problem
in the transcoder. I'm pretty sure this won't break other files; let me know
the results either way.

Set:

xcode_fix_broken_hdpvr_streams=true

in your Sage.properties file and do it while SageTV is not running. Then do
the transcoding of the files and the result should then have good A/V sync."
Old 08-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Attorney View Post
Ok, there may be a fix/workaround for transcoding troubles with the HDPVR. Apparently there are issues with the DTS data in the files that the HDPVR creates. Sage support offered the following solution. I am in the process of testing it now:

"OK, I finally figured this one out. It's due to the HDPVR generating bad
files (technically, their DTS values are incorrect and lag behind the PTS
way too much). We've seen this before and have no idea why it occurs; but
it's something wrong with the HDPVR. Fortunately....there's a solution.

If you set this in your Sage.properties file, it'll workaround the problem
in the transcoder. I'm pretty sure this won't break other files; let me know
the results either way.

Set:

xcode_fix_broken_hdpvr_streams=true

in your Sage.properties file and do it while SageTV is not running. Then do
the transcoding of the files and the result should then have good A/V sync."
Does this affect a fix in the transcoding process or in the original as its recording?

I have a recording from last night (Work of Art, on Bravo) that was out of sync the first time I tried to transcode it. I'll try it again with the flag changed and see what happens.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Sage Expert

I believe it affects transcoding process, not the HDPVR file. I think only Hauppauge can fix the issues with the DTS in the files.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I believe it affects transcoding process, not the HDPVR file. I think only Hauppauge can fix the issues with the DTS in the files.
Cool. Running my own test now and I'll report back...
Old 08-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Sage Icon

Well, it does work better.... with a caveat.

Look at the attached screen grab and you'll see what you get if you play through the Haali 1.10.175.0 splitter and WMP. It looks like a 3D image with the colors blurred and there is what must be a sync thingie at the bottom. However, if I play it through Sage via DirectShow, SageTVPlayer or VLC, it stutters for about 10 seconds first but then plays fine. Wheee!

While this is great progress , I will say that Handbrake does HD-PVR conversion without the initial stutter and can copy the 5.1 channel AC3 track too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen.jpg (283.7 KB, 116 views)
Old 08-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Sage Expert

What format are you transcoding to? I'm in the process of transcoding my first test file to the AppleTV format (for accessing via my iPad with AirVideo).

I also filed a complaint with Hauppauge about this. Maybe they can fix things with their next driver version.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:26 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
What format are you transcoding to? I'm in the process of transcoding my first test file to the AppleTV format (for accessing via my iPad with AirVideo).

I also filed a complaint with Hauppauge about this. Maybe they can fix things with their next driver version.
AppleTV High Quality.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:45 AM
Sage User

The only thing holding me back from switching from BeyondTV to Sage is the automatic transcoding of HD-PVR files.

So I understand from this thread that this is not working properly?
Old 08-24-2010, 10:57 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by derfel View Post
The only thing holding me back from switching from BeyondTV to Sage is the automatic transcoding of HD-PVR files.

So I understand from this thread that this is not working properly?
Well, there were a few issues when converting HD-PVR files to the AppleTV High Quality format. If you modifiy the Sage properties file as mentioned above, the AppleTV formatted file will play in Quicktime, iPad and iPhone without issues. However, some computer codecs may have issues with it (see above posts).