SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV International User Forums > SageTV Canada
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Canada SageTV and SageTV Recorder Users from Canada - This forum is for you to post about specific issues using SageTV software in Canada.

Old 05-17-2004, 09:00 AM
Sage Aficionado

Hi Lester,

Do you have any other suggestions for troubleshooting this? It seems like it can contact the Sage Server no problem without the plugin enabled as if gives me a choice of 4 or 5 US providers (Dish Networks etc). But with the plugin enabled it just says can't contact server. Is there any method of increasing the timeout or enabling detailed logging to try and trace the problem? As I said I can get to the website no problem through a browser (not login though but I understand I'm not supposed to be able to), but through Sage it won't even connect to allow me to choose the Provider....

thanks Lester

Davey
Old 05-17-2004, 09:44 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally posted by davey_fl
Hi Lester,

Do you have any other suggestions for troubleshooting this?
Davey
I'd need to look at the sage log to see what the plugin is doing. I'm guessing the release version does not produce logging. Can you go back to the RC release just before the final so that sage logs will be produced? If so then start Sage, attempt to download listings, then shut down Sage and post the contents of the log file.

Cheers
Lester
English Proverb. Collected in: George Herbert, Jacula Prudentum (1651).
Old 05-17-2004, 02:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks Lester. I will do that. I won't get around to it until Friday but I'll post the log then. Do you mean the sage_0.txt type of log?

thx

davey
Old 05-22-2004, 12:17 PM

I had the exact same problem with the Version 2 release and getting the "can't contact server" error - it turned out to be my web proxy (I am running Squid between me and the world); as soon as I turned off Squid, the EPG ran fine.

Rory
Old 05-22-2004, 11:29 PM

Hi there...downloaded the trial and did all the setup instructions for the Canadian listings, but i'm getting the same problem as the users above..it says it can't connect to server. I run zone alarm firewall, and i shut this down just in case it was the issue. I run winxp and have also shut down it's firewall, but to no avail...it just won't connect to server. I'm desperate for some advice here as i'd really like to test out the guide to see if this product is worth buying...

any and all suggestions appreciated.

Thx
Steph
Old 05-23-2004, 10:06 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally posted by stephpar

Thx
Steph
The trial version doesn't do logging which makes troubleshooting your problem harder. Only suggestions I have is to

1) Make absolutely sure that there is no firewall software running either on your computer or on any routers you might have.

2) Post the contents of your zap2itconfig.xml and zap2itdata.log files (change the password in the config file before posting to protect your zap2it account).

The plugin works for most people so do try and examine how your system differs from a "normal" system which might provide a clue as to why the plugin is not working.

Cheers
Lester
Old 06-02-2004, 12:02 PM
Sage User

ZAP2IT Certificate Code

Hi All:

I live in Mississauga and would like to try the plug-in with Sage for my Rogers channel guide. When I tried setting up an account iwth ZAP2IT using the TMYO-DCYO-CBUT certifcate code, it says "Certificate code doesn't exist". Is this still the correct code?

Please advise.

Thanks so much!
VP
Old 06-02-2004, 01:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

That code looks correct. Try it again and if it still doesn't work send an email to labs@zap2it.com inquirig about its validity.

Regards
Lester
Old 06-02-2004, 03:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

Re: ZAP2IT Certificate Code

Quote:
Originally posted by valpersaud
Hi All:

I live in Mississauga and would like to try the plug-in with Sage for my Rogers channel guide. When I tried setting up an account iwth ZAP2IT using the TMYO-DCYO-CBUT certifcate code, it says "Certificate code doesn't exist". Is this still the correct code?

Please advise.

Thanks so much!
VP
Make sure you remove any leading or trailing spaces, expecially if you are just copy/pasting it into the form on Zap2it. That will cause a problem.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by stephpar
Hi there...downloaded the trial and did all the setup instructions for the Canadian listings, but i'm getting the same problem as the users above..it says it can't connect to server. I run zone alarm firewall, and i shut this down just in case it was the issue. I run winxp and have also shut down it's firewall, but to no avail...it just won't connect to server. I'm desperate for some advice here as i'd really like to test out the guide to see if this product is worth buying...

Thx
Steph
I got the same problem as well.. trial version 2.0 and i get the can't connect to server error..
Old 06-07-2004, 08:40 AM
Sage User

Thanks!

Thanks so much for your response, Lester and Mikbro. The PLUGIN works flawlessly!!!

VP

P.S. Lester, are you an HTPC aficianado? Since you live in Mississauga, I would appreciate chatting with you about FFDSHOW and 5.1 sound ideas. Let me know and I could e-mail you my contact info.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:23 AM
Sage Advanced User

Lester,

I've been using your plug-in now for months, and it is great! What an improvement over xmltv! However, it takes me forever to add a new source. Once I enter "00000" as the Zip code, it takes between 15-20 minutes to get to the provider selection screen. Once I pick the provider, its takes another 15-20 minutes to come back with the channel listing. Is this normal behavior or is there something funky with my Internet connection? I'm on Bell's DirecPC service through the satellite. Thanks.

Sage Server - Dual Intel i7, 16 GB RAM, 4 TB RAID 0 Disk, 5 x HD-PVR (BellTV HD), 5 x USB-UIRT, Windows 7 64-Bit on VMWare ESXI 5.1, SageTV 9.x Open Source
Clients #1 to #3 - HD300
Client #4 - Shield Android TV running Mini Client
Client #5 - Sony Bravia Android TV running Mini Client
Old 06-17-2004, 08:05 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally posted by plawlor
Lester,

I've been using your plug-in now for months, and it is great! What an improvement over xmltv! However, it takes me forever to add a new source. Once I enter "00000" as the Zip code, it takes between 15-20 minutes to get to the provider selection screen. Once I pick the provider, its takes another 15-20 minutes to come back with the channel listing. Is this normal behavior or is there something funky with my Internet connection? I'm on Bell's DirecPC service through the satellite. Thanks.
There's probably a number of factors contributing to this behaviour however I suspect the main thing is the sheer amount of data involved when you're downloading listings for satellite channels. You're talking about 500+ channels x 13 days of data. All of this has to be downloaded between the time you type in the 00000 zip code and the showing of the provider selection screen (this is a limitation of the architecture of the zap2it download service).

So, to make a long story short, the best way to alleviate your problem is to stop SageTV, change the number of days to download in the zap2itconfig.xml file to 1, start SageTV and then add the new source. You can then stop SageTV again, bump the number of days back up to where you want it (max 13) and restart SageTV.

Reducing the number days before adding the new source reduces the amount the data the plugin has to download and therefore will make the whole process faster.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Lester
Old 06-17-2004, 10:43 AM
Sage Advanced User

Good tip. I'll give it a try.

Sage Server - Dual Intel i7, 16 GB RAM, 4 TB RAID 0 Disk, 5 x HD-PVR (BellTV HD), 5 x USB-UIRT, Windows 7 64-Bit on VMWare ESXI 5.1, SageTV 9.x Open Source
Clients #1 to #3 - HD300
Client #4 - Shield Android TV running Mini Client
Client #5 - Sony Bravia Android TV running Mini Client
Old 06-25-2004, 07:16 AM
Sage User

Lester, First, I'd like to thank you for such a great plug-in. Having all of the epg detail is great!

I've notice one oddity with it however. I like to record the 6pm CFTO TV news, and it seems the program always has the same id (SH5111210000) - every day. As a result, if I am away 1 day, I get the first day's news, and no subsequent day's news.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally posted by irf_ca
Lester, First, I'd like to thank you for such a great plug-in. Having all of the epg detail is great!

I've notice one oddity with it however. I like to record the 6pm CFTO TV news, and it seems the program always has the same id (SH5111210000) - every day. As a result, if I am away 1 day, I get the first day's news, and no subsequent day's news.
This is unfortunately a result of how the data is presented to the plugin by Zap2It. Many news programs always broadcast under the same id. There's not really anything the plugin can do about this. I'd suggest one of the following as possible workarounds:

1) Set your favourite for this news program to record both first runs and reruns if you're only recording first runs right now.

2) Create a timed recording for the timeslot and channel of this news broadcast. This is the most likely resolution to your issue.

Cheers
Lester
Old 06-27-2004, 12:29 PM

Java Exception

I receive the following java exception when I add
epg/epg_import_plugin=zap2it.Zap2ItImportPlugin
to my sage properties file and restart sage. If I remove "zap2it.Zap2ItImportPlugin" from the file Sage loads fine. Here is the exception:
java.lang.NoClassDeffFoundError: org/apache/xerces/SAXParser

I thought I followed the instructions correctly but I must have missed something. Any thoughts?

<edit>I missed the java library package step. working fine now</edit>

Last edited by wardjame; 06-27-2004 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:33 PM
Sage User

Re: Java Exception

That website isn't even working. Does anyone actually have it?

Last edited by WildBeast; 08-02-2004 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:40 PM
Sage User

Re: Re: Java Exception

It works now, and it's great so far.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:45 PM

I downloaded the trial version and followed all the steps. When I enter the zip code 00000 it instantly gives me a choice of 4 American satellite channels (c-band, Dish, DirectTV, and Voom) but not my Canadian provider Expressvu, or any other Canadian content. I have disabled my firewall and reinstall sage tv and the plug-in to no avail. The EPG data downloads when I select an American channels so I assume I am connecting to the zap2it server. What am I doing wrong? Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
JS