SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razillian View Post
...what you want in Sage combined with your unwillingness to use them, even in the interim until Sage adds CC, tells me that you just want to complain.
I understand well what you said. But that "interim" as you call it has lasted several years already, and that's way too long even for the most patient of us.

Patilan
Old 01-28-2009, 10:53 PM
Sage Icon

STV Import: Closed Caption Playback (v1.2.2 28/February/2008)

Plugin: Sage Job Queue (SJQ) v2.0.0 Available

CCExtractor's home

I have these configured and have been getting consistant perfect captions for a few days now... It wasn't very hard.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:05 PM
Sage Expert

The plugins are great, but this does need to be added to the core functionality of SageTV.

Patilan, I still don't understand why you have a problem with what I said. You confirmed yourself that picture subs cannot be turned on/off from the UI.

I simply stated the same thing plus a little bit more by saying that currently the only way to allow UI-based subtitle control for anything other than Imported DVDs, is to use a plugin.

Shutting down Sage, editing a properties file and then restarting is not "UI-based control."

Anyway, the point is that there are acts and FCC regulations in the US mandating CC support in these types of products. But CC does not equal Subtitles. We need both in SageTV, but let's not confuse them.

One difficulty in using the any feature that makes use of text-based subs is when you want to archive your own DVDs. It's easy enough to rip and store them in a Video_TS hierarchy and them import them as DVDs - SageTV will use the subs muxed into the VOBs and allow you to toggle them. But if you want to transcode your discs and use them with text-based titles, the process to convert the DVD-source picture subs into text is quite a pain.

A simple enabling of the same control that exists in the DVD playback portion of Sage would be ideal to allow toggling on/off SUB/IDX graphical titles which don't require any OCR or pains to extract from a DVD.

Seems that would satisfy Patilan for the time being. In the end we do need the robust support that's discussed here and elsewhere, including sub support for the MKV container. I'd like to transcode all my DVDs to H.264 and pile all the audio and subs into MKV files rather that having VIDEO_TS folders full of space-wasting vobs filling up all my available disk space.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:12 PM
Sage Icon

Bruno,

email sage:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...9&postcount=37
Old 01-29-2009, 10:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedMelon View Post
You confirmed yourself that picture subs cannot be turned on/off from the UI.
But this is exactly the point of my original post! We are like talking different languages here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedMelon View Post
I'd like to transcode all my DVDs to H.264 and pile all the audio and subs...
This is my goal too: Convert everything to H.264 and preserve the original subtitles. I can do it now, no problem. The only thing I can't do at the moment is to control these sub's visibility at playback. It is now either all on or all off. Hense my original request. We are basically saying the same thing.

Patilan
Old 09-12-2017, 03:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patilan View Post
Hi!

Just so that I make it a little more clear what I want...

Here is a workaround for turning the subtitles ON/OFF in the current SageTV version:

To disable subtitles: Get off the couch, quit SageTV, edit the "Sage.properties" file and add the line "extra_mplayer_args=-noautosub", restart SageTV, get back to the couch.

To reenable subtitles: Get off the couch, quit SageTV, edit the "Sage.properties" file..., restart SageTV, enjoy the movie with subtitles.

I so much wish that instead of all that, I could just click a button on my remote control. Is that too much to ask?

Thanks

[/i]
Wireless keyboard
ASRock B450M Pro4 AM4 MB, Ryzen 5 2600 3.4ghz, Crucial Ballistix Gaming 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200, EVGA GT 1030SC, WD Black NVMe SSD 250GB, 1x WD120EFAX 12TB, 1x WD80EFAX 8TB, 1x WDBH2D0040HNC 4TB, USB-UIRT, Colossus 2, WinTV-DualHD USB, Windows 11 64bit