SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:01 PM
Sage Icon

Hey, SB – I'm going to install this over the weekend and I thought I should ask this now so maybe I can have an answer beforehand...

I’m a little unsure about the section on the download/info page called “Supported Message Protocol”. I want the ability to have pictures and possibly descriptions (other than the text comes through on Caller ID on a phone) show up when someone calls. But from your description, I am unsure where I put this info in, or exactly how to format it.

Say that when my mother or father calls from home, I wanted the pop-up to say “ Mom and Dad at home 111-222-3333” and have a picture (“momdad.jpg”). But when mom calls from her cellphone, it would say “Mom cell 111-444-5555” and have a picture “mom.jpg”. Can you give me a sample line of what those would look like (taking out the {} stuff so I know what actually goes in).

I am guessing that it goes into this line in the sage.properties file?
Code:
shadeBlue/infopopup/message_format_caller_id=Incomming Caller\:{CR}{LF} {CR}{LF}{caller}{CR}{LF}{number}{CR}{LF} {CR}{LF}{description}
Since I have absolutely no programming knowledge whatsoever, give me the “for dummies” explanation – do I need to have separate lines like this one for every single caller that I have “programmed”? Or do I put them all in one line separated by some punctuation? And was I right that they go in the properties file, or is there somewhere in the setup within Sage itself where I put in this info? (I apologize if this is all obvious once you have it installed... that's what I get for asking beforehand)

Sorry this is so noobish – when it comes to programming stuff, I am one.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:17 PM
Sage Icon

Use custom names in YAK. It does it by number and then you give it the custom name. Your picture would then need to be the custom name.jpg
Old 12-19-2008, 10:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
I’m a little unsure about the section on the download/info page called “Supported Message Protocol”.
Ignore that section, it is for only custom programming purposes, if you are using the YAC software, then you don't need any of this info!

Quote:
I want the ability to have pictures and possibly descriptions (other than the text comes through on Caller ID on a phone) show up when someone calls.
This is easier that I think you are expecting :-) No editing of Sage.properties or custom programming required!

As QueOnda mentioned, in the YAC software, there is an option called "Name Substitutions". Use that option via the YAC GUI to specify whatever text you wish to display for each incoming telephone number. Now as for the images, you just need to place a copy of each image named either by the caller textual display name or by the phone number (the strings displayed for the caller name or telephone number must match the image files names exactly, not counting the image file extension.) into the
"infopopup_images" directory. It will support an image file in either JPG or PNG formats.

Good Luck!
SB
Capture Devices: 2 @ Hauppauge HD-PVR (1212), Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 ATSC/QAM, HD Homerun
Media Extenders: 2 @ Sage HD100 & 1 @ Sage HD200
Signals/Providers: AT&T UVerse, OTA ATSC
Set-Top-Box: 2 @ Motorola Box VIP 1200
Old 12-20-2008, 01:42 AM
SageTVaholic

I've always had a lot of trouble getting YAC to detect a call. It seems this is often caused by poorly written drivers. This thread has a lot of useful information that helped me get my modem working.

Last edited by blade; 12-20-2008 at 01:48 AM.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:36 AM
Sage Icon

QueOnda and ShadeBlue -

See, I told you I shouldn't have asked questions before installing it. Thanks for the explanation.

Of course I just came to the basement to start this project and discovered that my server does not have a modem at all... and it's one of those "slim profile" PCs so I can't use any of the old PCI cards I have. Aargh. I'm off to shop for a modem now....
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:06 PM
Sage Icon

Alright, I found an old modem that works in my server (or at least, when I installed it, Windows recognized it), but I don't think it works for this app and the plug-in is not working within Sage. My fear is that the modem doesn't support caller ID. YAC installed fine and the test message works fine (in Windows, not Sage), but I have received several calls and they did not work, nor did anything register in the YAC log. So I am guessing it's the modem. Opinions, anyone?

Quick question - When I do the telnet test (per instructions), what should happen? All I get is a dos window pop-up, that is blank. Should there be more than just that? Should some function take place, or some text in the window?

BTW, the modem is one I stole from an old dead PC I had in storage, circa 2000, which was the stock modem that came with the computer. I doubt I would have much luck finding any driver updates or further info. It is "live" though, as I have a telephone plugged into the "phone" port on it and the phone works fine (plus, as I mentioned above, it showed up when I installed it).

Should I just go buy a new modem?
Old 12-20-2008, 03:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Alright, I found an old modem that works in my server (or at least, when I installed it, Windows recognized it), but I don't think it works for this app and the plug-in is not working within Sage. My fear is that the modem doesn't support caller ID. YAC installed fine and the test message works fine (in Windows, not Sage), but I have received several calls and they did not work, nor did anything register in the YAC log. So I am guessing it's the modem. Opinions, anyone?
That is exactly what happened to me though I was able to get mine working. The easiest way to tell if CID is working on your modem is to use hyperterminal. Here are instructions for using hyperterminal to test your modem's CID. When I tested my modem hypterterminal received the CID info, but YAC didn't. YAC could send the test message to my extender. So it was just a matter of figuring out why YAC wasn't receiving the information from the modem. As odd as it may sound I found I had to check Append to Log under the diagnostic tab on the modem properties for YAC to receive the information from my modem. It's probably something unique to my particular modem, but I've been able to reproduce the effects and verify that in my case Append to log must be checked for YAC to receive the CID info from my modem.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I have received several calls and they did not work, nor did anything register in the YAC log. So I am guessing it's the modem. Opinions, anyone?
If you are not seeing the calls show up in YAC, then I would guess that it is the modem.

Quote:
Quick question - When I do the telnet test (per instructions), what should happen?
Nothing really, it should allow telnet to connect and not throw an error while attempting the connection. Once connected, yes it will just be a blank screen, no messages are displayed. This step was just to test to make sure the socket listener is working, which it sounds like it is in your case.

Quote:
Should I just go buy a new modem?
It does sound like it might be the modem. Here are a couple of links I found on how to test a modem for caller ID support:
http://www.mtnsys.com/Pages/howto/htmdmtst.htm
http://www.talkingcallerid.com/CallerIDCapable.htm

I only have two external modems laying around to test with, both are older than 2000, and both seem to support caller ID. One is a Rockwell 56000 and the other is a US Robotics 56K modem. Pretty mainstream modems in their hay day.

-SB

Good luck.
Capture Devices: 2 @ Hauppauge HD-PVR (1212), Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 ATSC/QAM, HD Homerun
Old 12-20-2008, 05:28 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks for the help, guys - I ran the test in Hyperterminal and finally found a code that gave me the "OK" (blade, I also checked that box on my modem setup, as you did - I have no idea if that made the difference and I'm not going to test it to see, I'm just glad it's working!)

So I now have caller IDs showing up in the YAC log file, and I get the pop-up window in the bottom right corner of the server when I receive a call.

Unfortunately, it's not working on the extender.

Here's where my suspicion is: I notice in the instructions for installation that it says to import into "each of your extenders STVs". I use nielm's dynamic customizable menus, and the way I have my system set up, the Extenders (HD100s) read a single customized STV on the server. They do not have their own STVs. I typically install whatever new plug-in using the server GUI, and then the extenders just reference that STV. But I am wondering if YAC is treating this situation the same way that it treats the server itself (as a "client") and so that particular STV will not act as a listener?

If that might be the explanation, I can do a separate custom STV for each extender, but I would prefer to not have to redo all of my menus if possible. Thoughts?

BTW, in the "Listeners" list in YAC, I just have "0.0.0.0". Do I need anything else there?
Old 12-20-2008, 08:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have 127.0.0.1 on my listener, also make SURE you are renaming the stvi file to xml for import into your extender. Everything else is exactly as Shade listed for install.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
BTW, in the "Listeners" list in YAC, I just have "0.0.0.0". Do I need anything else there?
Are you running the YAC software on the same computer as the SageTV server? If so, then change the address to "127.0.0.1" or to the actual IP address of the computer. Else, if you are running YAC on a different computer, then the listener will need to be the actual IP address of the computer running SageTV server.

The "0.0.0.0" address is for the InfoPopup settings in the sage.properties file. It is a special convention that means allow this plugin to serve as a YAC listener on all IP addresses/interfaces from the computer. The "0.0.0.0" address has no special meaning to the YAC software and that is probably why you are not getting any popups on your extenders.

Thanks, SB
Old 12-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Sage Icon

On edit... WORKING.

Awesome, awesome, awesome. Thanks so much, shadeblue (and all those credited who laid the groundwork), and those of you who chimed in so quickly and helpfully to answer my questions. So far, this is one of the (if not the) best WAF-boosting plug-ins out there. The first time a window popped up, it earned me a "Niiiiiiiice." from her.

(and now that I have an endless log file, I can show her just how many times her mother actually calls. On second thought, that might kill any WAF. )

Last edited by pjpjpjpj; 12-21-2008 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Because it's working!
Old 12-22-2008, 05:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

I am having trouble getting this plugin to work. Can anyone give me detailed directions on the server command line? Where do I enter the telnet command? I used to have Neilm's plugin and it put some options in the detailed setup - does this new version? After I install this plugin nothing shows up in advanced or custom. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan
Old 12-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Sage Icon

Start > Run command You can type the telent command there

or you can open the command prompt and then type it there.

But this is just to see if it connects. If you go into the properties file, you will see shadeblue lines in there, if you see them, then you know at least it was loaded.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

OK - the telnet session appears to connect. So I think my problem is with the stvi import - I don't think it is importing properly. Do you get some additional options under detailed settings? I used to use Neilm's plugin and that did. When I run this version I don't. Any suggestions?
Old 12-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Sage Icon

I don't know the answer to that right now, I will check when I get home.

Do you have your sagetv log file enabled? If so, you can test listeners in yak and see if you see stuff happening in the log file.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

Great app... I just got a question, is there a way to make it appear on the bottom right corner instead of the center screen??

I'll be making a AGI script for Asterisk users like me, so when an incoming call comes from a Zap/SIP/IAX channel it sends the call information to this plugin (I had it done before, but I lost it on a hdd crash, so I'll have to recode it)

Old 12-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaverd View Post
OK - the telnet session appears to connect. So I think my problem is with the stvi import - I don't think it is importing properly. Do you get some additional options under detailed settings? I used to use Neilm's plugin and that did. When I run this version I don't. Any suggestions?
Hi seaverd,

No, there are no configuration options under the Sage detailed setup for this plugin. All options must be manually configured via the sage.properties file at this time. You should be able to use the TEST LISTENERS function in the YAC software to try sending a test message and seeing the popup in your SageTV GUI. If you are still having trouble, please post some additional details like if you are using this with extenders, a PC client, etc.

Thanks, SB
Old 12-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni View Post
Great app... I just got a question, is there a way to make it appear on the bottom right corner instead of the center screen??

I'll be making a AGI script for Asterisk users like me, so when an incoming call comes from a Zap/SIP/IAX channel it sends the call information to this plugin (I had it done before, but I lost it on a hdd crash, so I'll have to recode it)
Hi Jabroni,

Great Question!
So I believe you can change the positioning of the popup using the following settings in the sage.properties file.

shadeBlue/infopopup/positionx=.5
shadeBlue/infopopup/positiony=.5

I have not actually tested this, but this is a direct port of the same settings from Nielm's Infopopup so they should work. I think the .5 value means place the center of the popup at the 50% x and 50% y axis. You may have to play around with these numbers a bit to get it to show up exactly where you like.

Please post back with any success or problems.
Thanks, SB
Old 12-22-2008, 11:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadeblue.com View Post
Hi Jabroni,

Great Question!
So I believe you can change the positioning of the popup using the following settings in the sage.properties file.

shadeBlue/infopopup/positionx=.5
shadeBlue/infopopup/positiony=.5

I have not actually tested this, but this is a direct port of the same settings from Nielm's Infopopup so they should work. I think the .5 value means place the center of the popup at the 50% x and 50% y axis. You may have to play around with these numbers a bit to get it to show up exactly where you like.

Please post back with any success or problems.
Thanks, SB
Yup.. changed the values to .99 to both X and Y coordinates, and now it shows on the bottom right of the screen Time to play with the Asterisk part now.. ill post back the script/lines when Im done with them