SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:12 PM

That rigth vinny your receiver doesn't know what to do with aac audio sorry I don't think there any way to do that rigth now.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:17 PM
Sage Icon

I have Logitech's Z5500 5.1 PC speakers hooked up to my current Client PC that my new Extender is going to replace this weekend.
It has Optical input but from what I'm reading so far I can't use it because I have 1000's of mp4's and a decent amount of them have 5.1 HE-AAC audio.
So the only way to play these files corretly is through RCA cables, but these speakers do not have that type of input.
Do I need an adapter or am I %&*%^* out of luck?
Old 12-21-2007, 01:52 PM

dvd_maniac I think all need is a patch cable 1/8 stereo mini to Stereo RCA
Old 12-21-2007, 03:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Just a comment which used to get me confused

AAC is not AC3......

But if my reciever does not do AAC why do I get a downsample stereo? Somebody must be doing that. If it is not my receiver it mus be the exteneder. So if that is possible then a transcode to DTS or AC3 should also be possible.

Last edited by Nadim; 12-21-2007 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
AAC is not AC3
That rigth Nadim if you don't know what AAC stand for it Advanced Audio Coding

Quote:
But if my reciever does not do ac3 why do I get a downsample stereo?
That eazy with out a DD audio decoder chip in your receiver you have the same problem with all know Digital Audio Format other then LPCM (Linear PCM) which means you have really old receiver or a receiver that fairly new but did come with DD audio decoder chip.

Dolby Digital audio decoder chip is like is Hardware MPEG Encoder/Decoder chip with small diff it only Decode Audio amd pass on wave sound to spks for sound.

If have a Home Theater Systems that has DVD Player ware plu in 5 or more Spks it should have build-in Dolby Digital audio decoder chip.

Last edited by SHS; 12-21-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

hehehe
Sorry I meant does not do AAC not AC3. My reciever is an Denon AVR-3805 which means it does AC3 and DTS no problems. But I am not sure of AAC. (that is what I really meant)

So let me see if I get it straight. If I do not have AAC, then the reciever makes it stereo?
Old 12-21-2007, 04:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadim View Post
hehehe
Sorry I meant does not do AAC not AC3. My reciever is an Denon AVR-3805 which means it does AC3 and DTS no problems. But I am not sure of AAC. (that is what I really meant)

So let me see if I get it straight. If I do not have AAC, then the reciever makes it stereo?
It looks like the HD Extender decodes and downmixes 5.1 AAC to stereo itself. I'm not sure if it comes out in stereo surround (Dolby Prologic) though.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
If I do not have AAC, then the reciever makes it stereo?
If your receiver dosen't support AAC then your option is for you to used the RCA output so that HD Extender can decodes and downmixes AAC files if need be then output stereo over the RCA jacks then pass it on to your receiver or convert the AAC file in to a compatibility format so will work on your receiver.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
If your receiver dosen't support AAC then your option is for you to used the RCA output so that HD Extender can decodes and downmixes AAC files if need be then output stereo over the RCA jacks then pass it on to your receiver or convert the AAC file in to a compatibility format so will work on your receiver.
Not necessary, it works through the optical and I'm assuming HDMI audio out. AFAIK, the HD Extender does not do AAC pass-through. AAC audio was being decoded and output to my receiver as PCM audio by the extender.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:20 PM
Sage User

I have a Sony receiver that does DD & DTS, but not AAC. When I connect with S\PDIF I get no sound. I tried connecting with RCA cables, I got sound, but it was downmixed to stereo. Now, either the extender doesn't downmix over S\PDIF; or it does and my receiver doesn't know how to handle downmixed audio over S\PDIF. I'm inclined to think it's the earlier.

I have tried to install ffdshow, hali splitter, and ac3filter to convert the aac to ac3, which I have done successfully. I can play it in graphedit and windows media player. What I can't get to work is sage to use dshow instead of sagetvplayer. Even then, I'm not sure it will matter, I'm not sure if the mp4 file would go through those filters before sage sends it to the extender, or whether sage sends the raw video to the extender and the extender then decodes it??? I'm not sure who's doing the decoding, the sage server or the extender.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
Not necessary, it works through the optical and I'm assuming HDMI audio out. AFAIK, the HD Extender does not do AAC pass-through. AAC audio was being decoded and output to my receiver as PCM audio by the extender.
Taddeusz what make amd model of your receiver
Old 12-22-2007, 12:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Taddeusz what make amd model of your receiver
It is a Sony STR-DE897. It's a 2004 model receiver only capable of DD, DTS and PCM.

When I was playing 5.1 ch AAC encoded videos I was getting stero PCM into my receiver. Now, my files are AAC LC and not HE-AAC. That may make a difference. As far as I can tell from the forums the HD Encoder can't handle HE-AAC. I'd have to to my own testing to verify that though.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

Well I am on the optical cable. I am getting streo sound out of a 5.1 AAC. My denon 3805 has no AAC. I am getting the same as Taddeusz PCM stereo. That means it must be the HD extender downsampling to Stereo. Or maybe magic

Last edited by Nadim; 12-22-2007 at 03:26 AM.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:50 AM

What do all used for make your clips with?.

Last edited by SHS; 12-22-2007 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:56 AM
SageTVaholic

I use Handbrake to make mine. But I now make mine with AC3 audio. I decided the differnce in bitrate between 5.1 AC3 and 5.1 AAC came with too high of a price with not being able to play the AAC in 5.1 on the extender (at the time my MVP).
Old 12-22-2007, 11:28 AM

I take it that your doing XivD as Video?.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Heck no, I didn't like the quality of it. I'm using AVC aka H.264.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:27 PM

Hmm that not possable to have H.264 and AC3
How do you have your setup
Old 12-22-2007, 12:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Hmm that not possable to have H.264 and AC3
How do you have your setup
Of course it's possible. I'm using an AVI container. It can also be done with an MKV container. Handbrake won't allow AC3 audio with an MP4 container though. But AVI and MKV work fine with AC3 audio.

I've attached a screenshot to prove to you that it is indeed possible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg videodetail.jpg (79.6 KB, 179 views)
Old 12-22-2007, 01:05 PM

I think I fig out I was doing wrong