SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlerm View Post
The last update has done nothing for any of my issues, but has introduced a new one, #4. Here is a list of problems, listed from highest annoyance to lowest:

1. Strange skip back behavior as mentioned above, but in addition sometimes the audio will drop out and the video will pause a few seconds later and I have to skip back again (or pause) to get everything going
2. Problems playing 1080p mkv files
3. Sometimes for no reason the info OSD will pop up and not go away unless I use the remote to close it
4. Sometimes when skipping forward the extender will power off.
That last one is the new anti-commercial skipping feature required by the DMCA.

-Robert
Old 12-24-2007, 08:51 PM
Sage Icon

Strike 4... I'm out of options Sage. This Series-1 in 6ft length did the same as the BestBuy and monoprice cables. Beta f/w didn't change a thing that I can tell.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:48 AM
Sage User

I just noticed another issue last night. I have some DVD's that I converted to avi files (xvid codec) using AutoGK with original DD audio intact. When played back on the extender I get some minor stutters. When played back in WMP, VLC, or on my Sage client they play back smoothly.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Sage User

Updated list of problems noticed by me as of firmware 1226:

1. Strange skip back behavior as mentioned above, but in addition sometimes the audio will drop out and the video will pause a few seconds later and I have to skip back again (or pause) to get everything going
2. Problems playing 1080p mkv files, stuttering and blocky picture
3. Sometimes for no reason the info OSD will pop up and not go away unless I use the remote to close it
4. Xvid files have small stutters, it is really noticeable when there are flashes on the screen such as someone taking a picture. One particular scene in Blades of Glory is expecially bad and very noticeable. (I can send a sample to the Sage developers if needed)
Old 01-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Updated list of problems noticed by me as of firmware 1226:

2. Problems playing 1080p mkv files, stuttering and blocky picture
4. Xvid files have small stutters, it is really noticeable when there are flashes on the screen such as someone taking a picture. One particular scene in Blades of Glory is expecially bad and very noticeable. (I can send a sample to the Sage developers if needed)
Well after the latest update I have not noticed #3 anymore, maybe it was related to the power off problem? And #4 seems to be MUCH worse when the output (component or HDMI) is set to 1080p. When set to 1080i the stuttering was not noticeable in my 1 hour of testing last night. I will test more tonight.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

I had a strange problem yesterday. Some pre-recorded shows (non-HD but recorded via HDHomerun) would playback normally for 5 seconds and then jump to a higher speed. It was as if someone hit continuous fast-forward. I tried this over and over and couldn't get the shows to play properly even after powering down and up again. The shows play fine on my SageTV client PC. Anyone else ever see this?

I also have green sparkles using HDMI even after replacing with a 24AWG HDMI->DVI cable from monoprice. Its intollerable and I've switched to component.

I also have stuttering during live HD playback. Usually works fine if I skip back a few seconds.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

Appelm:

I just hooked up my HD Extender and had the same exact problem. After about 5 seconds of watching recorded HD shows it acts as though someone is hitting FF on the remote while the sound mutes. This is happening with shows that are recorded from multiple QAM stations on an HDHomeRun; all play fine on standard Sage clients.

I downloaded the latest (12/26/07) firmware for the extender but the output is the same. My TV and HD output is set to 720p via an HDMI cable.

Did switching to component output correct the speed issue for you?

john
Old 01-14-2008, 02:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

Problem occured using component. I'm not using HDMI anymore until sparkles problem is resolved. You describe the same symptoms that I saw, no sound while playback speed is increased. Very strange.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:40 PM
Sage User

jlmdxtv and appelm,

See the third post in this thread: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29143. It might fix your problems. I don't know why this is not documented anywhere by Sage as it seems widespread. It worked for me and I can play HD mostly except for the occasional lockup, screen freeze, 1 second pauses, and slow menus.

Wally
Old 01-14-2008, 10:40 PM
Sage Icon

I just checked on the latest beta firmware and my jitters at 1080i got worse. definitely going to use the RMA # they gave me the other week and see if they can get me a replacement box that works w/ my monoprice cable.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Sage Advanced User

Smile Playback problem corrected!

Wally,

Your linked-text corrected my problem. My Properties file *was* set to this:

mmc/encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=false
mmc/encoders/-2026152731/100/0/encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=true
mmc/encoders/-2026152732/100/0/encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=true

I've set that first one to "true" and the problem is gone.

Now I can also use WINDVD to playback the HD files using smooth FF and RW.

Thanks, john
Old 01-19-2008, 11:51 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to Motofreak75
mmc/encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=false

setting this to true also fixed my ATSC issues with the extender.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Sage Icon

looks like the built-in screensaver works when it can't find the server.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:48 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
... wasn't there a comment about stuttering during live TV playback? I was told this is something known & is being worked on. For now, you can either pause briefly before continuing playback, or try setting this property:
videoframe/local_encoding_to_playback_delay=1000

- Andy
I added this property to my SageClient.properties (playing back on an HD200) and it seems to help the stuttering during live TV playback problem (it's actually more like a slide show than a stutter) on the initial channel tuning. However, if I try to tune to a different channel being managed by the same HD PVR, the stuttering comes back.

It isn't consistent and I can sometimes get a clean channel change, but it's not ideal. It's been a year since Andy said that this was a known issue and was being worked on.

Is this any closer to being ironed out or is there a solution available that I'm unaware of?
Old 12-14-2008, 02:59 AM
Sage Aficionado

An additional thing that I've observed:

If I tune to a channel recorded by the HD PVR coming from a previous channel being recorded by the same HD PVR and I do get the stuttering - a short rewind in the buffer starts smooth playback and then I can immediately skip forward to the "live" TV and playback remains smooth.

It's as if the initial playback of the stream stutters for some reason but skipping around in the buffer "locks" in a smooth playback.

While hard to describe, and not a deal-breaker, it has a definite effect on the WAF.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm9843 View Post
An additional thing that I've observed:

If I tune to a channel recorded by the HD PVR coming from a previous channel being recorded by the same HD PVR and I do get the stuttering - a short rewind in the buffer starts smooth playback and then I can immediately skip forward to the "live" TV and playback remains smooth.

It's as if the initial playback of the stream stutters for some reason but skipping around in the buffer "locks" in a smooth playback.

While hard to describe, and not a deal-breaker, it has a definite effect on the WAF.

A recommendation has ALWAYS been for the HDPVR if you are experiencing that issue is to set your delay to 4000ms.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter