SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

The problem is with the IR receiver in the STX-HD100, not the remote.

I've programmed my Harmony 550 with the appropriate remote codes and if I'm pointing the remote directly at the STX-HD100, it works fine every time. I believe the sensitivity of the IR circuitry on the STX-HD100 is just not as high as other components in my setup. For instance, using the Harmony 550 remote I was able to control the SageTV Server (via USBUIRT) from anywhere in the living room, pointing the remote in any direction.

I am going to investigate an electrical solution to this annoyance (although I'll caution you up front that this approach will void your warranty!). If I end up with a solution I'll post a hack.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Your talking about mods to the components on the PCB? Why dont you just see if you can move the IR receiver closer to the window first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsing View Post
The problem is with the IR receiver in the STX-HD100, not the remote.

I've programmed my Harmony 550 with the appropriate remote codes and if I'm pointing the remote directly at the STX-HD100, it works fine every time. I believe the sensitivity of the IR circuitry on the STX-HD100 is just not as high as other components in my setup. For instance, using the Harmony 550 remote I was able to control the SageTV Server (via USBUIRT) from anywhere in the living room, pointing the remote in any direction.

I am going to investigate an electrical solution to this annoyance (although I'll caution you up front that this approach will void your warranty!). If I end up with a solution I'll post a hack.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdamore View Post
Your talking about mods to the components on the PCB? Why dont you just see if you can move the IR receiver closer to the window first?
I'm not sure exactly what will be required. I'm going to pop open the box in a bit here and see what's involved. I may end up hooking up my scope to a few of the signals to see where the best place to put an electrical modification (read: amplifier) would be... but who knows, it could be something as simple as removing the cover in which case cutting out a piece of the case in front of the receiver would solve the issue -- I hope it's that simple.. mechanical problems like that are much easier to fix!

No matter what it is though, I'm committed to finding an in-box solution to this (I don't want to complicate the situation by rigging some external IR repeater/etc). I want a seamless fix.

-Dan
Old 12-14-2007, 01:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

HAHA! You were right (sort of). A mechanical fix is all that is necessary.

When the front cover is removed (a few steps required to get there) and the unit powered on with no front cover the remote responds excellently. It must be the tinted plastic that is blocking the signal (odd!). I'm going to continue looking into this to see what the best and prettiest solution is to this but I believe it may be as simple as drilling a hole in the plastic =)

-Dan
Old 12-14-2007, 02:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Posting my progress as I go here:

In order to make sure it was the dark "see through" plastic that was causing the problem, I separated the whole strip (with the SageTV logo) from the black plastic front. This exposes holes for the LEDs and the IR receiver. Reassembled the box like this, and the IR reception is just as good as all of my other equipment. I can control it from the kitchen and not even be line-of-sight to it.

I'm now confident that drilling out a hole to expose the IR receiver is the best mechanical fix for this.

-Dan
Old 12-14-2007, 02:16 PM
Sage Fanatic

Nice work. If the mod works can you post some pictures.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:

In order to make sure it was the dark "see through" plastic that was causing the problem, I separated the whole strip (with the SageTV logo) from the black plastic front. This exposes holes for the LEDs and the IR receiver. Reassembled the box like this, and the IR reception is just as good as all of my other equipment. I can control it from the kitchen and not even be line-of-sight to it.

I'm now confident that drilling out a hole to expose the IR receiver is the best mechanical fix for this.

-Dan

While your at it.. include some pictures

For an EE: would increasing the ir module's input voltage increase sensitivity? (edit- nevermind this extra work haha.. Id rather drill the hole)

Last edited by jdamore; 12-14-2007 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have completed the modification. It works beautifully. I will be taking pictures as I mod my 2nd box and I will post a link to a step-by-step (warranty-voiding at-your-own-risk of course) photo set in about 30 minutes.

-Dan
Old 12-14-2007, 02:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:

-Dan

Thats great! Hey if your going to drill a hole, dont drill all the way through. Try to drill about 3/4 the way through (from the back). that way it looks the same from the outside. Great work!
Old 12-14-2007, 02:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

You would need a router bit to drill 3/4 of the way through and then the drill marks would probably limit the effectiveness of that mod
Old 12-14-2007, 03:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoboy View Post
You would need a router bit to drill 3/4 of the way through and then the drill marks would probably limit the effectiveness of that mod

I think he's talking about drilling all the way through.

Good find Dan. Post the Pics of the front of your box.

-Polen
Old 12-14-2007, 03:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Dan,

Did you notice if the ir reciever diode could be pushed out more to the front?

-Polen
Old 12-14-2007, 03:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

what size bit did you use? 30 minutes is up! heh, thanks for the investigative work on this (tho typically the investigation and "opening the hood" on this sort of thing is reward enough!)

Nice on this, stuck at work all day or I would already be looking at my box with this in mind. WAF was low last night, heck PAF (personal acceptance factor) was low last night. If I can not control it, then output quality does not do much good. Wonder if the darkened lens was added after all the testing or something?
Client2: HD200, 40" Samsung LCD bedroom
Client3: HD100, 42" Panasonic Plasma kid's playroom; Client4: MVP, 36" CRT basement workout area; Client5: MPV 13" CRT garage workbench
Old 12-14-2007, 03:08 PM
Sage Icon

I hope this mechanical mod is simple e-nuff for those of us with murphy's law disease.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

STX-HD100 IR Modification Pictures

** NOTE: Of course, I take no responsibility for anything that you may end up doing to your box. Following these instructions will void your warranty and probably permanently turn your shiny new STX-HD100 into a brick. Continue at your own risk!!

Follow this link to see step-by-step instructions for modifying the STX-HD100 for *much* improved IR reception:

http://www.sonicspike.net/pictures/albums/74

It looks like the tinted plastic on the front of the box isn't 100% transparent to IR (oops?).

-Dan
Old 12-14-2007, 03:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

It doesn't matter - the plastic strip on the front of the box is causing the problem.. not the placement of the IR receiver diode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polen View Post
Dan,

Did you notice if the ir reciever diode could be pushed out more to the front?

-Polen
Old 12-14-2007, 03:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

3/8" See my instructions posted here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam99 View Post
what size bit did you use? 30 minutes is up! heh, thanks for the investigative work on this (tho typically the investigation and "opening the hood" on this sort of thing is reward enough!)

Nice on this, stuck at work all day or I would already be looking at my box with this in mind. WAF was low last night, heck PAF (personal acceptance factor) was low last night. If I can not control it, then output quality does not do much good. Wonder if the darkened lens was added after all the testing or something?
Old 12-14-2007, 03:29 PM
SageTVaholic

You know, they make panel mount lenses for large LED's in various colors. It you select your drill size appropriately, you could probably pop in the lens and make your unit look slightly less 'hacked'. It's just a thought.

Nice work, BTW.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 12-14-2007, 03:38 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
** NOTE: Of course, I take no responsibility for anything that you may end up doing to your box. Following these instructions will void your warranty and probably permanently turn your shiny new STX-HD100 into a brick. Continue at your own risk!!

Follow this link to see step-by-step instructions for modifying the STX-HD100 for *much* improved IR reception:

-Dan
Great pictures and instructions, you must have be a technical writer in a past life.

thx for taking the time
Old 12-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

Can you take that metal off the ir receiver module? That metal going over the front the reveiver probably isn't helping either.. just another thought.