SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:37 AM
SageTVaholic

Yes. It uses the same remote.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:58 AM
Sage User

Thanks
Old 02-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thumbs down Who has an MX-700 and wants another one? Mine is useless to me...

So I recently switched my setup to use the sage extender instead of my computer in my family room. Little did I know that since the last time I upgraded my MX-700 setup, there was a huge blow up at URC. Apparently they were upset that so many of their remotes were being sold by "unauthorized dealers" and so they disabled their software updates and made their dealers use a new version (at least this is what I think happened from snooping around on AVS forum... I am coming to this party late).

Regardless, I didn't even have the software installed on a machine I own anymore and went to their website to download the MX-700 editor software again. I registered, entered my serial number, and where I bought the remote. Fine... no problem. But the software that they let me download will not update, and ***seemingly*** does not have the ability to import the devices from the files listed here. So I posted a request here to see I was doing something wrong or if I could get the software from anyone else. This post was promptly removed, and I am not asking for anything like that now -- repeat, I am not asking for the software. Again, this was before I read about the whole issue. My bad. Anyway, I then sent in a customer service request to URC for the software. This request has not been answered. Then I called the place where I bought the remote (in another state), and they wanted to charge me to send a technician from my state to my house to program the remote.

So anyway, I'm done. URC is a stupid short sighted company. I have used this remote for the last 6 or so years and liked it, but there are better remotes out there now. And they have made it hard for me to play by the rules, and their rules are not smart. So I bought a Harmony 880. Activity based... easy updates... easy to program and customize. It was always easy for me to use the MX-700, but not for my in-laws, baby sitters, etc. The 880 requires no explanation... they just push "watch TV" or "watch DVR" or "watch BluRay", and everything is set up correctly. Anyway, I have upgraded and URC has lost a customer.

That is my rant, but now I have a piece of hardware that I no longer want or require. So for those of you that have an MX-700 with the right software to edit it, I have another one for you if you want it. Let me know. I am not selling it. I am giving it to a good home. Send me a pm if you are interested. Although I do recommend you switch to a harmony as well.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:36 AM
Sage Advanced User

i bought my mx700 years ago from an online vendor, not sure if I can post the name or not. Anyway, I sent them my po# as proof of purchase and they sent me the new software, as they are (or at least were) supposed to be required to do at the time. Not sure if that requirement has changed or if the company you bought it from is just trying to milk a little more money out of you. But yes, the reasons URC gave for shafting it's "innocent" customers just to punish the "guilty", were weak at best. I can not see giving URC any more of my business either.
Client2: HD200, 40" Samsung LCD bedroom
Client3: HD100, 42" Panasonic Plasma kid's playroom; Client4: MVP, 36" CRT basement workout area; Client5: MPV 13" CRT garage workbench
Old 02-05-2009, 12:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

And the remote is spoken for...

Sam wins. I am glad to be rid of it, and I will never give them money again. I got a really good deal on the harmony, and it is a huge upgrade. Problem solved.