SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpenguin View Post
So while full playback including fancy menus is definitely not going to happen, I wouldn't be surprised if it could (eventually, atleast) read the EVOB and play them back just like Sage can currently play back straight, unencrypted, VOB files.
Looking back at some older forum posts, perhaps I'm a little confused about why there isn't Blu-Ray/HD-DVD support already. Why can't Sage play back unencrypted Blu-Ray/HD-DVDs now? The codec support is there, isn't it? Presumably whatever it takes to get Blu-Ray/HD-DVDs working on the extenders would also get them working on clients. And, based on forum posts, it doesn't sound like people are expecting clients to support playback anytime soon.

Or, is it just that Sage never implemented it because it wouldn't be particularly useful (until recently, that is).
Old 12-09-2007, 01:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Don't confuse being able to play the video files stored on BR/HD-DVD with being able to play BR/HD-DVD like we currently play DVD's.

The first is possible and would just require Sage to know how to pull the A/V streams out of EVOBs just like it knows how to pull the A/V streams out of mpg/avi/mp4/etc. The 2nd is much more complicated and probably won't be happening any time soon until someone makes a directshow filter that Sage can just use (or mplayer adds it, which I know they're working on).

@stanger89

My bad, I thought DD+ was backwards compatible with existing AC3 hardware, turns out that's not entirely true

From wikipedia...
Quote:
Dolby Digital Plus software is not directly backward compatible with existing Dolby Digital decoders. However Dolby Digital Plus capable players are required to be able to transform the output to a backwards compatible Dolby Digital signal.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:30 AM
Sage Expert

What about HD/BD ripped and muxed to mkv? Are these currently playable, or might they be by the extender?
Old 12-09-2007, 09:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
Looking back at some older forum posts, perhaps I'm a little confused about why there isn't Blu-Ray/HD-DVD support already. Why can't Sage play back unencrypted Blu-Ray/HD-DVDs now? The codec support is there, isn't it?
evilpenguin's got it right, actually (for all intents and purposes) no, codec support is not there. Currently we're missing navigator/splitter filters for the logical structure of Blu-ray or HD DVD. Make no mistake, PowerDVD (nor any other current PC player) does not use directshow to play HD DVD/Blu-ray. The other thing missing is audio codec support. The only decoder capable of any of the new formats is only available with Sonic Scenarist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by popechild View Post
What about HD/BD ripped and muxed to mkv? Are these currently playable, or might they be by the extender?
If the audio/video codecs are on the compatibility list, there's no reason to think they won't work.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by popechild View Post
Of coarse, if the audio isn't on the compatibility list, getting it there should be very possible...

FFmpeg & Mplayer compiles w/ E-AC3 support @ doom9
Old 12-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to Motofreak75
Yeah like the two posts above, I use Sonic codecs And so far its the only codecs that i can use to listen to the DD+ audio in my mkv files.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
While Sage can play back regular (unencrypted) DVDs that have been ripped to the server, I don't think Sage can play back HD-DVD or Blu-Ray discs. So, I think its safe to assume the extender won't be able to either. And, I don't think there's any reason to believe that Sage will be able to implement that functionality anytime soon. Sorry.
Maybe sometime in the future........
Old 12-09-2007, 03:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, but Scenarist (the only product with the DD+ capable Sonic codecs) costs at least $5k.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:44 AM
Sage User

HDTV source

I would like to know what sources everyone will use with this new extender. Cable box, satellite or just a tuner with antenna. I have a motorola box now but it is not hdtv. I guess i could upgrade but I am afraid I will not get the tuning set up correct, it was a real pain on this box.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:01 AM
Sage Icon

Has anyone who ordered the SageTV Hd Media Extender gotten any kind of license yet? It has now been 5 hours since my order and no license which bothers me since this should be an automated process. Also, in the Sage store they is no mention of it coming with a license? Did Sage change their mind about including a "free" license? The good news is that there also is no mention of a license under related items.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:09 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazakmaster View Post
I would like to know what sources everyone will use with this new extender. Cable box, satellite or just a tuner with antenna. I have a motorola box now but it is not hdtv. I guess i could upgrade but I am afraid I will not get the tuning set up correct, it was a real pain on this box.
Tuner with antenna. This has been my brilliant source of HD for over two years now. Been with Sage every step through that two years, apart from about 3 months with a Samsung set-top ATSC tuner.

There is probably a good 80 hours or so of what i would call quality content to record here in Philadelphia every week (i can pick up 3 PBS stations, so that helps out a good bit) so this is fine for me...
2x HDHR, all OTA
QNAP TS-809:
12.5 TB for Recordings/Imports/TimeMachine/Music
HD200 via 802.11n in Living Room
802.11n client in bedroom
Old 12-10-2007, 07:48 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgar View Post
Has anyone who ordered the SageTV Hd Media Extender gotten any kind of license yet? It has now been 5 hours since my order and no license which bothers me since this should be an automated process. Also, in the Sage store they is no mention of it coming with a license? Did Sage change their mind about including a "free" license? The good news is that there also is no mention of a license under related items.

Oh come-on, it only been a few hours since you ordered...............settle down.

And people call me a Pessimist.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Well, I ordered mine about 6AM CST this morning. I'm waiting in anticipation of it's receipt.

I wonder how many have been ordered so far?
Old 12-10-2007, 08:27 AM
Sage Icon

I am very settled. If the description had a line like "This product includes the necessary Client license to communicate with the SageTV server.", I would not have even asked the question for 24 hours.

I am already taking a little risk because for about 9 months both of my MVP extenders have been useless to me because of the Vista related issue. I am trusting what Narflex has stated about not seeing the issue with this product. Back in 2003, I was also told that they did not see any issues with the PVR350. It is now common knowlege that the PVR350 only works properly for some people.

Edit: I received the receipt seconds after placing the order for 1. Placed : 12/09/2007 23:45:43 PDT

Edit: I have now received the license key.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.

Last edited by carlgar; 12-10-2007 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:49 AM
Sage Aficionado

Isn't SageTV ver 6.3+ required for the HD Extender ?

Hopefully, it will be released before the extenders start arriving. Paying for the quick delivery may not have been the best idea.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post

Hopefully, it will be released before the extenders start arriving. Paying for the quick delivery may not have been the best idea.
I personally am running the latest beta. I shouldn't have any compatibility problems with the HD extender when it arrives.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post

The HD extender works find using the latest few SageTV beta's so there'll be no problem there.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:33 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazakmaster View Post
a cable box will only give you the clear QAM stuff, right? or are some people on here able to record hd signals from a set top box?
Old 12-10-2007, 10:42 AM
Sage Fanatic

The strike has got to end.. before I get my shipment!

When will it ship?? when?? when??

I can't wait to watch all the new shows in HD via Sagetv!! All the great new first run shows.. the.. uh..

Drat..

Maybe SageTV can make a call down there to the network execs and let them know we'd like some NEW content for our NEW HD Extenders!!

Old 12-10-2007, 11:02 AM
Sage User

If I've just ordered the HD extender and a license to the server software should I make sure I download a recent beta? I have the trial version running right now.

A related question: Can I run the server as an independent client/viewer using a hardwired monitor plus use the HD extender at the same time watching different content over local ethernet?

I'm looking forward to being a SageTV user with the new HD extender. I'm switching from MythTV now that the HD widget is out.