SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khristopher View Post
It's an amazing feature.....one that BTV hopes to have sometime in 2008!
According to Rakesh's most recent post on the BTV forums, IMO, BTV is headed for disaster. The feature people clamoring for (Integration) is being ignored, and nothing really revolutionary is being considered. Essentially they're trying to play catch up, but they're doing it poorly.

Rakesh also admitted that Integration probably isn't going to happen anytime in 2008. That line alone just solidified my decision to move to Sage. Not only did I leave a sinking ship, I found the promised land!
I went over to snapstream to read his message. Right after support for more devices the priority is to improve the speed of the library. So, in more than two and a half years since I switched to Sage nothing much has changed in that area. There are still living in the nineties where XML was the next big thing - almost anything was envisioned to be done in XML.

Ten years later, it's still wrong.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius View Post
I went over to snapstream to read his message. Right after support for more devices the priority is to improve the speed of the library. So, in more than two and a half years since I switched to Sage nothing much has changed in that area. There are still living in the nineties where XML was the next big thing - almost anything was envisioned to be done in XML.

Ten years later, it's still wrong.
In Rakesh's defense, he listed the topics alphabetically, not in any sort of priority. Having said that I'm seriously evaluating SageTV to replace my 2 BTV boxes in my house. I will see what Apple announces at MacWorld and then make the decision after that. I probably won't do anything until there's no new programming on just to make sure the entire family can get accustomed to the new interface and I don't miss any recordings.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Sage Expert

This is starting to feel like a 12-step program...

I left BeyondTV a little more than a year ago, begrudgingly at first. The official support for the extenders and the media center integration is what did it for me. It was very tough for me to leave a UI that I was comfortable with, and move to Sage (which at times still feels klunky); however, I have to admit, making that transition was the best thing for me. I love Sage; not in the sweaty-palms, slightly-psychopathic stalker-fanboy way that Kristopher seems to love HIS SageTV , but I can definitely say that I'd be lost without it.

Sage has changed so much in the last year while BeyondTV has become the Palm of the PVR world.

All together now,

Koooom-bayyyy-yaaaaahhh....

Stu
Old 01-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainswor99 View Post
I love Sage; not in the sweaty-palms, slightly-psychopathic stalker-fanboy way that Kristopher seems to love HIS SageTV , but I can definitely say that I'd be lost without it.
What can I say......I really love Sage. It's everything that I wanted from BTV but couldn't have. If that makes me a sweaty-palm, slightly-psychopathic stalker-fanboy.....so be it!

Quote:
BeyondTV has become the Palm of the PVR world.
Perfect analogy!!!
Old 01-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Sage Fanatic

Well im a convert from beyondtv.

Reasons:
1. I refuse to pay another 50 for beyond media after paying 50 for btv, only to have it not do half the formats i need it to do
2. No QAM support (are you kidding)
3. Very inactive support and user community comapred to sage (this is huge for me)

Hesitations:
1. Wife loves Beyonds interface, its slick and makes sense
2. Tuner setup with lineups way easier.
3. web admin for advanced control
4. FM Radio!!!

What tipped the scale to sage
1. QAM
2. Sirius internet plugin
3. Customizable interface, while increasing the amount of time it takes, has potential to up the WAF
4. continued development
5. integration.

thanks all.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
I love Sage; not in the sweaty-palms, slightly-psychopathic stalker-fanboy way that Kristopher seems to love HIS SageTV , but I can definitely say that I'd be lost without it.
if I was drinking my soda at the moment I read this, it would have ended up on the screen!

Quote:
Sage has changed so much in the last year while BeyondTV has become the Palm of the PVR world.
I agree with Khris that this is a great analogy. Palm Treo is being replaced by the inferior Windows Treo, and Blackberry remains on top. Yet, Palm set the standard for both Window CE and Blackberry. Now Palm has lost its market share and will be extinct in the next year or so.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

And I just figured out how to listen to Sirius through Sage today too!!

I'm even MORE excited!!

(Ok, that's not really me, but doesn't she look as excited as I am?)
Old 01-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Sage Expert

great, Khris is going to be really excited now

so which plugin are you using to get it to work?
Old 01-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergq View Post
great, Khris is going to be really excited now

so which plugin are you using to get it to work?
I'm using the uSirius program, and then the Web Radio import for Sage.

I guess I should also say that I've set it up remotely at home while at work.....so I'm not quite sure if it works yet. I know the uSirius program is working as I'm streaming Howard 100 right now (after port forwarding my router).....so just have to verify that Sage is picking up the stream properly when I get home.

Last edited by Khristopher; 01-03-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khristopher View Post
I'm using the uSirius program, and then the Web Radio import for Sage.

I guess I should also say that I've set it up remotely at home while at work.....so I'm not quite sure if it works yet. I know the uSirius program is working as I'm streaming Howard 100 right now (after port forwarding my router).....so just have to verify that Sage is picking up the stream properly when I get home.
now should I put the usirius on my server or client computer?
Old 01-03-2008, 09:51 PM
Sage Icon

Thumbs up

WOW. I looked at sage about 4 years ago but went with BeyondTV. I love it but I want to be Beyond Beyond TV. I have a few questions:

Can you pool different drives together? (lets say your running out of disk space and want to add another drive)

Be able to setup recordings though website (like snapstream.net).

What is this network recording??? Please point me to materials to help me educate myself.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueOnda View Post
Can you pool different drives together? (lets say your running out of disk space and want to add another drive)
SageTV can use multiple recording locations. You can download the SageTV PDF manual from the program download page or from my sig lines -- see Appendix C for some info about how it manages the space on all the recording locations.

Quote:
Be able to setup recordings though website (like snapstream.net).
You can use SageTV Placeshifter to have the full SageTV UI at a remote location, or you can use nielm's webserver to handle scheduling & more -- see the customizations forum for a list of customizations and a link to the webserver topic.

Quote:
What is this network recording??? Please point me to materials to help me educate myself.
Appendix G of the PDF manual gives a quick overview about how to set up a network encoder -- basically, you can use another installation of SageTV on another computer & have the main server use the secondary system's tuners as additional tuners that it uses for scheduling recordings.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Sage Expert

so this may be the ultimate indication that SageTV is better than BTV. I came home early today, my wife who worked from home today, was watching Dances with Wolves on Encore...through STV. With BTV, she would mostly use the digital cable box to watch live tv and BTV for recorded shows.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Sage User

I converted my main box BTV box over to sagetv about a month ago and I am enjoying it. I see no reason to go back to BTV.

I am using the standard interface have not tied Sagemc yet. I really like being able to watch dvds and online content from in sage. Also love that it can be setup as system service. Cool. Rock on sage.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveg View Post
Also love that it can be setup as system service. Cool. Rock on sage.
Not that you use BTV now but fyi BTV can also do this.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:31 PM
Sage User

I haven't officially converted yet (still on the trial and waiting for some extra cash before buying), but I have to say I'm impressed with the sage. All I really was looking to have was a little video window while browsing through the program guide. I didn't really care about integration at all. I was happy to just use media player classic for my videos. Now that I'ev tried it, however, I can really see why people like it. Now, I just need to get the play, pause, ffw, etc. buttons on my firefly to work.
I could go outside...
Old 02-02-2008, 03:23 AM
Sage Advanced User

I converted a few weeks ago and haven't looked back. It's a tough decision and it was like firing an employee--after I did it I couldn't believe I didn't do it sooner. My first goal was to just use it to replace BTV and get it stable. While I knew my DirecTV STB's were part of the issue with the low WAF, I discovered during the first couple weeks of testing SageMC that part of the issues (admittedly) I was having was a USB-to-serial adapter that was disappearing on me. I moved it to a different port and have not had any issues so far. I ordered another USBUIRT for the TV room and ripped it all apart this evening. I removed the DTV DVR and everything--I'm totally Sage now. I spent the better part of the night configuring EventGhost and figuring out how to make it easily play DVDs as well as get the sound fixed.

I thought I had tried about everything from default settings to the trial of the latest PowerDVD. I ended up installing PowerDVD 6 and still had troubles. I opened the PowerDVD app up alone and played a DVD, then after messing with a couple more settings in SageMC, it suddenly started working great. Go figure. The best thing I like is stability and features. Worst thing--I feel like I need a better remote. I'm using the Gyration wireless remote and keyboard. I have a Logitech 890 but I feel like I hardly need that now that I have it all working. We're still using the Firefly remotes in our bedrooms and they working nicely.