SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-15-2004, 11:45 PM
Sage Expert

Yeah I have been doing a lot of reading over at the remotecentral area. The one thing that I don't like about the MX500 is that the guide and menu are on the fastforward and rewind part of the remote. The Harmony doesn't have this problem. The 688 looks like a sweet remote but from what I have read in the forums it is still a couple months off, the only problem is that it is about 250 bucks

edit-I think I just found the perfect remote
http://www.remotecentral.com/mx700/photo01.htm

PC software editing
Buttons don't have dual functions

Last edited by AJ Bertelson; 02-15-2004 at 11:52 PM.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:03 AM

I have the guide mapped to Previous channel on my MX500. And I have the menu button mapped to the lowest left LCD button. But yeah it's a bummer about that setup. If only they had added just 2-4 more buttons rather than reusing the transport buttons. This is one of the main reasons I'll try the new 688 when it comes out.

Well, the 659 is supposed to be $200 but you can always get it cheaper($130-140). I imagine the 688 will only be about $25 more once it readily available. It stinks, but to get the perfect(if there is such a thing) remote costs megabucks. I just show my wife the pictures of the remotes and ask her advice. I don't mention the prices until after she's expressed all her opinions. I too spend alot of time at remotecentral.com. Great site.

PS:Have you seen the silver(688-2) version of the 688 or just the first(black) one? I attached a zipped(original was too large) picture of it I found.
Quote:
edit-I think I just found the perfect remote
Just remember, you lose the skip forward/back hard buttons on the MX700. It only has FF/RW. You can add them to the LCD but I find I use them alot myself.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sst-688-2.zip (197.6 KB, 248 views)

Last edited by justme; 02-16-2004 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:08 AM
Sage Expert

I only saw the black one, that silver one looks sweet.

upon further investigation the MX700 is missing one crucial button.

-Record-

Maybe I will pick up a MX500 on ebay(they are only) a 100 bucks then switch to the 688 when it comes out. I wonder if you save alot of your stuff over from a 659 to a 688 if you decide to upgrade.

I wish a company would make a girder specific remote where they would strip out a lot of the functions(reduce costs) and just let girder do the leg work. Not going to happen anytime soon though.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:12 AM

Quote:
I wonder if you save alot of your stuff over from a 659 to a 688 if you decide to upgrade.
From all the speculation and the fact that they use the same website, I'd imagime you could just update the 688 with your profile from the 659. After all it mostly just a layout change from the 659. They only added like 2 or 4 buttons so it should be doable.
Quote:
I wish a company would make a girder specific remote where they would strip out a lot of the functions(reduce costs) and just let girder do the leg work. Not going to happen anytime soon though.
The closest thing I've seen to that is a JP1 modded 6131, but the ergomonics(general feel) stinks.IMO Still something like what you suggest would be a great thing.

Last edited by justme; 02-16-2004 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:47 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have owned both the MX500 and Pronto 2000. I also sold both on the "Remote Central" forum. To answer your question I believe the MX500 represents the best balance for those looking for a somewhat programmable user interface although very limited when compared to the Pronto. I used the Pronto for several months and had designed a very individual user interface. The problem I had with the pronto was the lack of hard buttons. I did not like the touch screen. The screen does pick up a great deal of finger prints but his did not bother me a quick swipe of a damp cloth fixed that problem. If a touch screens is not a problem for you then I would say the Pronto is the best reasonably priced (if you consider $200-$300 depending on model) programmable remote. You can make the pronto do whatever your systems requires as long a you can get the codes. I got rid of the Mx 500 because I had one of the earliest models and it had some firmware problem. Those have all been corrected. Again if you need hard buttons I believe the Mx-500 is the best bet. I have not experience with the Harmony remotes but it seems like a neat way to do it.

By the way what I do use are cheap and simple remotes that are Jp1 compatible. I can program then to do just about anything I need. Currently I use a Radio Shack 15-2116 programmed with Jp1 which controls my entire HT systems (Receiver, TV, VCR,DVD, CD Jukebox and PC). Hope this helps.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:15 AM
SageTVaholic

You know.....

I just bought the sst-659 the other week. It is pretty sweet but I'm trying to get some workarounds put in so I can get it just the way I want. I didn't even know they were talking about a sst-688. That looks sweet. I had their original model which they allowed me to trade in (with credit) to a sst-748. I hope I can work out something to get this 688. It has a good feel and plenty of buttons.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I had their original model which they allowed me to trade in (with credit) to a sst-748.
That's the great thing about Harmony they have an excellent way of dealing with their customers. They had no problem with my return of the 659, even before I mentioned it was because I was looking into the 688 when it is released. I doubt you'll have any problems, if you decide to switch. If you really want something to kick yourself over there's the rumor that the 688 was being presold by Harmony at CES for $140. Why oh why didn't I go to Las Vegas the week of CES, instead of 3 monthes ago.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:59 PM
Sage Expert

I noticed on Harmonys site that they said the first two months of TV listings are for free.

What do they mean by this?
Old 02-17-2004, 02:14 PM
SageTVaholic

You can actually download your TV listings to the remote and view them in the LCD screen. That way you can use your remote to look and see what is on without affecting what's on the TV. Then choose the program and it will change to that channel for you. It's kinda cool but I didn't use it that much.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:19 AM
Sage Aficionado

justme: as a follow-up to our conversation re changing codes in the Tivo remote, it worked! It took about 20 codes to find one that produced the behaviour I was looking for. thanks for the tip!

Davey
Old 02-18-2004, 07:48 AM

Great, Glad to hear it.
What device and what code? It could help another person in another thread, to be able to do this.

Last edited by justme; 02-18-2004 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:25 AM
Sage Aficionado

I used a CBL device, Zenith, code 0153. Here's how to do it:

1) Hold down the DirecTV/Tivo Power button and Pause until LED goes solid red, then press 0 on the keypad. This resets the remote.

2) Hold down the DirecTV/Tivo Power button and TV Power button until LED goes solid red, then enter your 5 digit code. The LED will flash three times indicating it saved the code. Try the remote.

3) If you wish to erase all programmed buttons in the remote, Hold down the DirecTV/Tivo Power button and TV Power Button until the LED goes solid red, then press the down thumb button three times followed by the Enter on the keypad. The red LED will flash 4 times indicating it has been restored to its factory settings.

Hope this helps!

Davey
Old 02-20-2004, 04:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

Does anyone know if you need to install Sage WITHOUT the Hauppauge Remote support if you plan to use IRMan ?

In other words, does the Hauppuge Remote support PREVENT IRMan from working correctly in Sage ?
Old 02-25-2004, 05:21 PM
Sage Expert

Does anyone have a Comcast Cable box (motorola) working fully with a universal remote?
I want a remote that can work my surround sound receiver, dvd player and sage tv.
I think for us all the syndome of "must be simple to use" comes into the equation for friends and family using the remote.
I already have an infra red port running for my Xcard remote, can I use this for anything else? I know someone said they have an old Real Magic remote working with a 3rd party app, I am wondering can this also be done with the newest models?
My main problem at the moment is that my cable box runs to one input to the tv, sage runs to a a second via video card, Xcard runs to a 3rd from it's output. Family are not liking this setup. Are there any remotes (reasonable price) that could switch from the sage menu to live tv and at the same time send a signal to the surround sound receiver to change it's input?
At present, Sage is being used mainly like a vcr, but in the long term I would like to have 2 pvr 250 cards and so make it the primary viewer, running Sage 90% of the time for my viewing needs.
Patrick
Old 02-25-2004, 06:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ditch the cable box to tv connection and run everything through sage with a uirt. Once you get it running, I doubt you'll ever look back.

Old 02-25-2004, 07:00 PM
Sage Expert

Well the current way things are set up is all through a surround sound amp, vid card, Xcard and cable box all have inputs into the amp and so if I want to utilise my Xcard I would like the remote control to change both the input on the surround sound amp and also to view whatever show I have selected and then the reverse when I select sage menu, the one button press to change the input back to the vid card so that I can see the menu.
From what you guys are saying, girder with the uirt can do all that by any remote sending a signal to the IR receiver and then girder translates that to a signal to send to the surround sound amp (or cable box) and so would control anything externally.
Is there any particular remote which works best with this setup?
With the multi function remotes which operate tv,dvd,cd player etc, does girder take a command that will select to that piece of hardwares funtions and then only need that button after that?
Where can I get more info on both USB-UIRT and also Girder?
Patrick
Old 02-25-2004, 07:46 PM
Sage Expert

anyone know if the USB-UIRT sold by Frey includes the 56Khz sensor?

Thanks,
Deadbolt
Old 02-25-2004, 07:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

crowdx- I'd like to understand a little more about how you are set up. The piece I don't have or know about is the xcard.

I have a 2 tuner system in a single machine. The sound card goes to my surround sound receiver via fiber cable. I could use the tv out on my video card but I use my 20" lcd monitor. I don't use any of the video functions on the a/v receiver. DVDs and CDs play on the drive in the computer through sage. I do use the FM tuner in the a/v receiver but I walk up to it and hit the button on the front panel to select it. Everything else runs from a single remote.

What functions are you using that are different from this setup?
Old 02-25-2004, 07:52 PM
Sage Expert

The XCard is a hardware decoder card which decodes MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG3 and MPEG4 streams, the problem is that the UI of Sage will not display over the XCard output and so 2 inputs to the tv are needed, one input via the vid card is used for the sage menu,, then when you watch a show or recordered material you have to select the input on the tv which comes from the Xcard. Means multiple switching instead of one button hit when I want to watch a show from the Sage guide.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

I think I understand now. I guess I am glad I don't have to mess with an xcard