SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Sage Icon

Talking No Video Files Were Found ... UPDATE! Problem Solved!

I have SageTV 6.0.19 pointing to some NAS storage for Music, Photos and Videos. For some reason the Videos don't show up in Imported Videos?? Music and Photos show up great ... Anyone have any ideas why?

FYI, I have run "Refresh Imported Media" in the Setup Menu ...

Thanks, T.

Last edited by mightyt; 01-26-2007 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Sage Icon

OK ... I tried adding directories from a local drive and the videos in them showed up??

Don't videos import from network drives?

I added them the usual way by selecting the directories by browsing to them in the Detailed Setup. It added them as UNC paths just like it did for Photos and Music.

Hmm ... Wonder if it has a problem there?? ... I'll map a drive and see what happens ...

Well ... Mapping a drive didn't work.

Another question I have is when you "Refresh Imported Media" you get an OK button that states "SageTV is now scanning the Media Center Import directories for new/removed files" ... But there is no way of telling if progress is taking place. Do I immediately press OK and assume the scan continues? Do I wait? How do I know when the scan is done?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks, T.

Last edited by mightyt; 01-09-2007 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Results of Mapping a Drive ...
Old 01-10-2007, 10:51 PM
Sage Icon

Have I stumped the Sage community ??

Now that would be a first ...
Old 01-10-2007, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyt
OK ... I tried adding directories from a local drive and the videos in them showed up??
It sounds to me like a permissions issue for the network location, if you have no problem with a local import dir.

If you don't think it is permission related, then test a video that fails from a network path by importing it from a local dir instead.

You could always enable debug logging to see what happens when it scans the network paths.

Quote:
Another question I have is when you "Refresh Imported Media" you get an OK button that states "SageTV is now scanning the Media Center Import directories for new/removed files" ... But there is no way of telling if progress is taking place. Do I immediately press OK and assume the scan continues? Do I wait? How do I know when the scan is done?
That is just acknowledging that the scanning process has started. There isn't a notification in the UI that the scan has completed.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:38 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
It sounds to me like a permissions issue for the network location, if you have no problem with a local import dir.

If you don't think it is permission related, then test a video that fails from a network path by importing it from a local dir instead.

You could always enable debug logging to see what happens when it scans the network paths.
Yeah, thanks Andy ... It isn't permissions, the other folders on the drive are seen just fine for Photos and MP3's.

Also, for the heck of it I tried accessing the Video folder with my Family Room Sage "4" Server and it picked them up immediately. The surprise to me was they even played great! My Family Room Server is only Wirelessly connected to the net.

Anyway, guess that means I have to try debugging ... Hmmm, now how did I do that before?? ... And, do I post the logs or just send them to Sage Sup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
That is just acknowledging that the scanning process has started. There isn't a notification in the UI that the scan has completed.

- Andy
Got it ... On my Sage 4 Server it was pretty fast ... Not seeing the Videos on my 6 box I wasn't sure if it was like Generating Thumbnails and took a while but couldn't tell.

Thanks, T.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:16 PM
Sage Icon

I'm feeling a little lucky today since one of my other Sage problems may have been solved ...

So, giving it one last try ... Wondering if anyone else who hasn't seen this might have some ideas or may have experienced this??

If not, I will send Sage Debug logs, work it through support and loop back if there is a resolution.

Thanks, T.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Are you sure you didn't typo the path? In the Sage config where you define the path did you accidentally tell it the directory WASN'T for videos? Maybe you have it set for photos or music and that is why you can't see the videos. (We all have made mistakes.)

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:15 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
Are you sure you didn't typo the path? In the Sage config where you define the path did you accidentally tell it the directory WASN'T for videos? Maybe you have it set for photos or music and that is why you can't see the videos. (We all have made mistakes.)

Gerry
Thanks Gerry ... No kidding, I can tell you how many times a / and \ jumped in for each other!

But actually you navigate to the path for the imported video config. I didn't have to manually type it in. And I added and removed it several times just to make sure I didn't fat finger anything.

And, yes, I was sure to validate that it was for videos.

It's driving me nuts ....

T.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:42 PM
Administrator

This probably isn't it, but... Since you browsed to the network location in SageTV, try going to the path in Windows Explorer, copy the path from the Address bar, then use Shift+Ins to paste it into the SageTV text entry field when specifying a directory. That would see if there was some strange problem when browsing to it. I doubt it is the problem because you said you did the same thing for photos & music.

Have you created a debug log yet?

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:12 AM
Sage Icon

Smile PROBLEM SOLVED !!!

OK ... Copy/Pasting the path didn't do it ...

But, I have worked with Sage Support and sent them debug logs ... Problem Solved ...

The following line is in the Sage.properties file;

force_full_content_reindex=false

I had to change this setting from "false" to "true".

After that, it took a very long time for the Videos in my Imported Videos directories to show up after I kicked off "Refresh Imported Media". I figure somewhere between 8 and 24 hours for ~80gb of MPEG's to appear.

So, not sure if anyone else has or will experience this, but this worked for me!

Not sure why this setting wasn't set to true by default though.

Thanks for all of your suggestions ... T.

Last edited by mightyt; 01-26-2007 at 01:15 AM.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Whew-Glad to hear you got it fixed.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
force_full_content_reindex=false

I had to change this setting from "false" to "true".

After that, it took a very long time for the Videos in my Imported Videos directories to show up after I kicked off "Refresh Imported Media". I figure somewhere between 8 and 24 hours for ~80gb of MPEG's to appear.

Not sure why this setting wasn't set to true by default though.
Just so you know... the reindexing process normally occurs when you first run v6 after upgrading from a previous version. If this process gets interrupted (as you saw, it can take a while), you may need to force the reindex to restart via that property. This isn't something you want to do every time you start SageTV, so I suggest removing that property after it has been used if it isn't automatically set back to false.

- Andy
Old 01-28-2007, 01:17 AM
Sage Icon

Unhappy Guess I began the celebration too fast

Well it appears my problem, thought to be fixed, has reappeared?? I came back the next day and they were gone again!!

For the life of me I don't get this one ...

Just for reference ... When this all started, I thought the problem may have been caused by my ruinning Sage as a Service, so I stopped and disabled it. It didn't fix the problem, but I left it disabled anyway.

Now, I have no idea if this is part of the problem, but I leave Sage running all the time and put it in Standby (sitting in my System Tray) when I am not using it. Also, since moving to Vista I never Shutdown Windows anymore (well, very rarely) since Vista has a great Sleep mode in its Power Options. It's much better than XP use to offer. I also tested Sage to make sure it was OK by manually setting a Recording to take place overnight after Vista went to Sleep. In the morning, the system was in Sleep mode and the Recording took place just fine. So, it looks like Vista woke up, Sage Recorded and then Vista went back to sleep as expected.

Considering this ... Could SageTV, again not running as a Service, but put in Standby "or" Windows going in to Sleep mode either affect Imported Videos?

Also, BTW ... Yes, apparently the "force_full_content_reindex=true" property did set itself back to "false"

Anyway ... I sent another email back to Sage Support.

Sorry guys ... Thought this one got licked ...

Thanks, T.

Last edited by mightyt; 01-28-2007 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Well it appears my problem, thought to be fixed, has reappeared?? I came back the next day and they were gone again!!

For the life of me I don't get this one ...

Just for reference ... When this all started, I thought the problem may have been caused by my ruinning Sage as a Service, so I stopped and disabled it. It didn't fix the problem, but I left it disabled anyway.

Now, I have no idea if this is part of the problem, but I leave Sage running all the time and put it in Standby (sitting in my System Tray) when I am not using it. Also, since moving to Vista I never Shutdown Windows anymore (well, very rarely) since Vista has a great Sleep mode in its Power Options. It's much better than XP use to offer. I also tested Sage to make sure it was OK by manually setting a Recording to take place overnight after Vista went to Sleep. In the morning, the system was in Sleep mode and the Recording took place just fine. So, it looks like Vista woke up, Sage Recorded and then Vista went back to sleep as expected.

Considering this ... Could SageTV, again not running as a Service, but put in Standby "or" Windows going in to Sleep mode either affect Imported Videos?

Also, BTW ... Yes, apparently the "force_full_content_reindex=true" property did set itself back to "false"

Anyway ... I sent another email back to Sage Support.

Sorry guys ... Thought this one got licked ...

Thanks, T.
Look and see if you have your network card set to allow it to sleep to save power. Turn this OFF. What may be happening is the NIC is going to sleep but having difficulty waking up again and then Sage can't see the storage and thinks it is gone. Even on the clients I have sleep I have the NIC set this way. Before I did the clients had a difficult time talking to Sage or seeing the netork.

Gerry
Old 01-28-2007, 11:36 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Look and see if you have your network card set to allow it to sleep to save power. Turn this OFF. What may be happening is the NIC is going to sleep but having difficulty waking up again and then Sage can't see the storage and thinks it is gone. Even on the clients I have sleep I have the NIC set this way. Before I did the clients had a difficult time talking to Sage or seeing the netork.

Gerry
Hmmm ... Good thought Gerry ... OK ... I have attached three screen shots ... The first two are from my Power Options Control Panel Applet and don’t seem to have any Network Card Settings. The third attachment is from my Network Card Power Management Properties.

If I hear you right, on the Network Card Power Management Properties I should uncheck the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." ... Correct?

Thanks again, T.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Power Options 1.jpg (40.7 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg Power Options 2.jpg (39.2 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg Power Management Net Card.jpg (39.3 KB, 213 views)
Old 01-28-2007, 12:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Hmmm ... Good thought Gerry ... OK ... I have attached three screen shots ... The first two are from my Power Options Control Panel Applet and don’t seem to have any Network Card Settings. The third attachment is from my Network Card Power Management Properties.

If I hear you right, on the Network Card Power Management Properties I should uncheck the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." ... Correct?

Thanks again, T.
Yes. I had issues before of a client not seeing the network or Sage all the time. This was the issue. Give it a shot-you have nothing to lose.

Gerry
Old 01-28-2007, 12:26 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Yes. I had issues before of a client not seeing the network or Sage all the time. This was the issue. Give it a shot-you have nothing to lose.

Gerry
OK ... Will give it a shot ... I expect it will take another day to import again ... so I'll let you know how it goes tonight or tomorrow ... Thanks for the idea!

T.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:28 PM
Sage Fanatic

I pretty much always 'uncheck' that power management box. Seems most of the time, the motherboard/nic drivers fail when coming out of a reduced power mode and won't wake up the ethernet port correctly.

That's worked for me, you might try it and see.

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 01-28-2007, 04:17 PM
Sage Icon

Looks like unchecking the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is not going to fly ... For some reason, when the system comes out of Sleep mode there is no connection to the internet. Once I checked it again and did a repair connection the internet connection came back OK ...

Not that I had expectation at that point but it was 6 hours unchecked and the videos hadn't shown up. But, like I said, last time it took over 8 hours so that may not mean much.

Back to square one ...
Old 02-14-2007, 08:38 PM
Sage Icon

Problem will be solved ...

FYI ... Well ... got a response from Sage Support today ... Guess this is a real problem ... Here's what George had to say ...

"I heard back from one of the developers and he said this should be fixed in version 6.1. It will be publicly available hopefully next week."

T.