SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 10-09-2006, 12:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet
I have no problems using the Softsqueeze 3.0 standalone java player.

This is what my Slimplayer SageTV screen looks like:

What should I try?
Is your sagetv instance running on the same machine as the SlimServer ? If not, you need to open port 9090 for tcp in the firewall of the system running slimserver. By default, the SlimServer will listen for Command Line Interface connections on TCP/IP port 9090. On XP open up the firewall config and add an additional exception for Slimserver port 9090 tcp.

- Chris
Old 10-09-2006, 06:26 PM
SageTVaholic

I just imported this plugin on top of a an STV that never had Simple web radio. I am getting the same blank screen in the menu as before.

Slimserver is on the same machine as SageTV. So, I'm presuming I dont have to mess with any firewall settings. Again, the standalone Java player and the web-based embedded java player work correctly.

I can't remember if I stopped softsqeeze player before copying the softsqueeze player .jar file into the SageTV JARS folder. All I know is I did successfully copied that file over.

I did get a weird error the first time I tried to install the MP3 java plugin. But, the second time I installed it, it said it installed sucessfully.

So, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for all your help Chris and Gerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
Following the installation instructions.

Make sure you don't have the simple web radio plugin installed. Importing this should of removed it.

Did you stop softsqueeze player BEFORE copying the softsqueeze player .jar file into the Sage TV JARS folder?

Gerry

***RIP SageTV***
Old 10-09-2006, 11:46 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I just imported this plugin on top of a an STV that never had Simple web radio. I am getting the same blank screen in the menu as before.

Slimserver is on the same machine as SageTV. So, I'm presuming I dont have to mess with any firewall settings. Again, the standalone Java player and the web-based embedded java player work correctly.

I can't remember if I stopped softsqeeze player before copying the softsqueeze player .jar file into the SageTV JARS folder. All I know is I did successfully copied that file over.

I did get a weird error the first time I tried to install the MP3 java plugin. But, the second time I installed it, it said it installed sucessfully.

So, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for all your help Chris and Gerr
Try setting this registry value
HKEY_USERS/Software/JavaSoft/Prefs/org/titmuss/softsqueeze/skin
value data: headless

If this doesn't help can you please turn on debug logging by adding the following line to sage.properties (while sage not runing):
debug_logging=TRUE
and post the sagetv-0.txt file after trying again.

- Chris
Old 10-10-2006, 07:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Thanks Chris. I will try that. By the way, I have an important question that maybe somebody here can answer:

The only Internet Radio I listen to is Shoutcast, URGE (WMP), Sirius - Howard Stern, and Pandora. I could be wrong, but it looks like I wont be able to use Slimplayer for anything except for Shoutcast; which I couild already do... and Pandora... if I pay extra to listen to it this way.

Should I stick with the old Web Radio if I only plan to use Shoutcast?

Thanks,
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by koelec
Try setting this registry value
HKEY_USERS/Software/JavaSoft/Prefs/org/titmuss/softsqueeze/skin
value data: headless

If this doesn't help can you please turn on debug logging by adding the following line to sage.properties (while sage not runing):
debug_logging=TRUE
and post the sagetv-0.txt file after trying again.

- Chris

***RIP SageTV***
Old 10-10-2006, 09:48 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Thanks Chris. I will try that. By the way, I have an important question that maybe somebody here can answer:

The only Internet Radio I listen to is Shoutcast, URGE (WMP), Sirius - Howard Stern, and Pandora. I could be wrong, but it looks like I wont be able to use Slimplayer for anything except for Shoutcast; which I couild already do... and Pandora... if I pay extra to listen to it this way.

Should I stick with the old Web Radio if I only plan to use Shoutcast?

Thanks,
Michael
There's a slimserver plugin for sirius radio.
Besides that SlimPlayer gives you the ability to browse for new (shoutcast or other) stations and add them to a playlist or the favorites list. Compare that to the hassle of creating and updating (internet stations change IP addresses very often) the stationlist.txt file in the old webradio plugin.

- Chris

Last edited by koelec; 10-10-2006 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Sage Icon

Forgive me in advance if this is a stupid question, but did I read correctly that Slim server can playback iTunes music? Even the .m4p songs? And Slim Player can play these in Sage as well? I would really like to maintain my iTunes library as is, without having to do the burn/rip method to get them into MP3 (just a lot of busy work, for no real gain).
Old 10-10-2006, 11:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby
Forgive me in advance if this is a stupid question, but did I read correctly that Slim server can playback iTunes music? Even the .m4p songs? And Slim Player can play these in Sage as well? I would really like to maintain my iTunes library as is, without having to do the burn/rip method to get them into MP3 (just a lot of busy work, for no real gain).
Quote from slimserver's support faq:
Please note that music purchased from the iTunes Music Store ("Protected AAC" (.m4p) files) is encrypted and cannot be played back with Squeezebox until Apple provides the necessary hooks to enable this. In the meantime, it is possible to burn your iTunes Music Store songs to CD and re-rip them as unprotected .m4a files.

- Chris
Old 10-10-2006, 11:42 AM
Sage Icon

Guess I missed that FAQ entry...Chalk one up in the 'dumb question' category for me..
Old 10-10-2006, 06:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Chris, I think I'm going to stick with WebRadio. At least, until URGE (with DRM) is supported.

I hope I dont piss you off for asking this, but what are the chances you could fix the sleep timer compatibility problem WebRadio. I would be such a happy camper if that were fixed.

-Michael

***RIP SageTV***
Old 10-11-2006, 01:13 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Chris, I think I'm going to stick with WebRadio. At least, until URGE (with DRM) is supported.

I hope I dont piss you off for asking this, but what are the chances you could fix the sleep timer compatibility problem WebRadio. I would be such a happy camper if that were fixed.

-Michael
Michael, we live in a free world.
But, you can help others, if you agree in helping me getting it running on your box, because you might be experiencing an installation problem that also other users might be facing.
Please try again with the attached slimplayer.jar.zip file, which fixes a little bug in the SlimPlayer java code that causes problems when running softsqueeze and SlimPlayer on the same machine. You don't have to reimport the STVI for this, because we only replaced a jar file.
Assuming you still have the slimserver/slimplayer installation on your machine, please do the following:
  1. Restart machine, to make sure no other "headless" versions of softsqueeze are running on your machine.
  2. unzip attached slimplayerjar.zip in sagetv folder (it must ask you whether you want to override slimplayer.jar) fixes a little bug in the SlimPlayer java code that causes problems when running softsqueeze and SlimPlayer on the same machine. You don't have to reimport the STVI for this, because we only replaced a jar file.
  3. uninstall Java MP3 plugin (add/remove software via control panel) - SlimPlayer/Softsqueeze will now use JLayer MP3 decoder
  4. remove the following key in the registry:
    HKEY_USERS/Software/JavaSoft/Prefs/org/titmuss/softsqueeze.
  5. Stop SageTV
  6. Turn on debug logging by adding the following line to sage.properties
    debug_logging=TRUE
  7. Start sageTV and try SLimPlayer again
  8. If still no go, please post the sagetv-0.txt file from sagetv installation folder.
If the SlimPlayer now works you can try reinstalling the MP3 plugin for improved sound quality. Don't forget to turn off debug logging again.

thanks,
Chris
Attached Files
File Type: zip slimplayerjar.zip (39.7 KB, 480 views)

Last edited by koelec; 10-11-2006 at 03:09 AM.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Chris, it's my pleasure to help any way I can. Here are my results (and clues) after carefully following your directions below:

1) When I go to Slimplayer menu, I can see my unsupported URGE playlists listed in the right pane. A couple of days ago, I moved my playlist folder to a new location since URGE playlists aren't supported; however, these playlists are still being listed in the SageTV Slimplayer; even after restarting my pc and selecting to rescan my music library in Slimserver. I even tried "forgetting player".

2) If I go to transparent mode, I can navigate and pull up information from the local Slimserver on this machine. However, I can't hear any sound when I select a new playlist (a shoutcast station, for example). I can even add a Shoutcast station as a Favorite; but, if I select that favorite, nothing happens. I would expect the radio station to start.

3) I have no problems using Softsqueeze 3.0. I just have to exit out of SageTV in order to gain access to the server on the same machine.

NOTE: Once we get this working, could you please help me get it set up so I can use Pandora and Howard Stern Radio (sirius) in SageTV?

Please find my sagetv_0.txt attached.

Thanks for all your help!

-Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by koelec
Michael, we live in a free world.
But, you can help others, if you agree in helping me getting it running on your box, because you might be experiencing an installation problem that also other users might be facing.
Please try again with the attached slimplayer.jar.zip file, which fixes a little bug in the SlimPlayer java code that causes problems when running softsqueeze and SlimPlayer on the same machine. You don't have to reimport the STVI for this, because we only replaced a jar file.
Assuming you still have the slimserver/slimplayer installation on your machine, please do the following:
  1. Restart machine, to make sure no other "headless" versions of softsqueeze are running on your machine.
  2. unzip attached slimplayerjar.zip in sagetv folder (it must ask you whether you want to override slimplayer.jar) fixes a little bug in the SlimPlayer java code that causes problems when running softsqueeze and SlimPlayer on the same machine. You don't have to reimport the STVI for this, because we only replaced a jar file.
  3. uninstall Java MP3 plugin (add/remove software via control panel) - SlimPlayer/Softsqueeze will now use JLayer MP3 decoder
  4. remove the following key in the registry:
    HKEY_USERS/Software/JavaSoft/Prefs/org/titmuss/softsqueeze.
  5. Stop SageTV
  6. Turn on debug logging by adding the following line to sage.properties
    debug_logging=TRUE
  7. Start sageTV and try SLimPlayer again
  8. If still no go, please post the sagetv-0.txt file from sagetv installation folder.
If the SlimPlayer now works you can try reinstalling the MP3 plugin for improved sound quality. Don't forget to turn off debug logging again.

thanks,
Chris
Attached Files
File Type: txt sagetv_0.txt (255.2 KB, 1116 views)

***RIP SageTV***

Last edited by mkanet; 10-11-2006 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
1) When I go to Slimplayer menu, I can see my unsupported URGE playlists listed in the right pane. A couple of days ago, I moved my playlist folder to a new location since URGE playlists aren't supported; however, these playlists are still being listed in the SageTV Slimplayer; even after restarting my pc and selecting to rescan my music library in Slimserver. I even tried "forgetting player".
SlimPlayer is just showing what slimserver is returning. SlimPlayer does not store any information about playlists or favorites. So the URGE playlists must still be present in slimserver. I think you have to perform a rescan of the music library with the option "clear library and rescan everything" or "only rescan playlists" if you have moved content. Also remember that playlists are global and not player dependent, so issuing "forgetting player" does not clear playlists.
Quote:
2) If I go to transparent mode, I can navigate and pull up information from the local Slimserver on this machine. However, I can't hear any sound when I select a new playlist (a shoutcast station, for example). I can even add a Shoutcast station as a Favorite; but, if I select that favorite, nothing happens. I would expect the radio station to start.
Playback starts in every situation by the play command ( play button on remote or crtl-d on keyboard), or selecting play from an options menu if applicable. You can not use enter (select) to start playback as you probably was used to in the old webradio. To be consistent throughout the menus select is only used for navigation. Also select/enter is used to enter/exit from transparent mode. Also please remember that slimserver has its own volume control, which might the the reason you're not hearing anything. You can set it in the right panel of slimserver's web interface.
Quote:
3) I have no problems using Softsqueeze 3.0. I just have to exit out of SageTV in order to gain access to the server on the same machine.
Also in softsqueeze you have to press the play button to start playback.

Quote:
NOTE: Once we get this working, could you please help me get it set up so I can use Pandora and Howard Stern Radio (sirius) in SageTV?
Of course I can help with this. I'll setup the sirius plugin on my slimserver and try to tune to Howard Stern Radio. For Pandora, things are a little bit more complicated. First thing is access to squeeze network, because Pandora service is not available via slimserver. Softsqueeze (and SlimPlayer) can connect directly to the squeeze network, but in the current version of Slimplayer the graphical data received from the squeeze network cannot be rendered by SlimPlayer. Another handicap is that even with softsqueeze it is not currently possible to use pandora if you don't own a Squeezebox2 or 3. I'm told that this is temporary because Pandora is still in a startup phase. So, to go short Pandora is not yet available for SlimPlayer (or Softsqueeze), but this might change in near future.

thanks and let me know how you proceed. I'll report later on setting up the sirius plugin.

- Chris

Last edited by koelec; 10-11-2006 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Chris, I know you're going to think I'm retarded, but it appears all this time it was working, I just didnt realize I couldnt press Enter/Select and had to press Play. I realize you kept this functionality the same as Softsqueeze, but its my opnion that an average SageTV user would find it more intuitive to press Enter/Select to start the audio stream.

I was able to clear my playlists. Thanks for your tips.

Thanks for looking into adding Sirius Radio -Howard Stern as a Favorite on Slim Player. This would be significant functionality added to my existing setup; and, justify the upgrade from WebRadio to SlimPlayer. I'm guessing that Pandora and URGE support in Slimserver should happen eventually because of their recent popularity.

PS: How do get the original Java MP3 plugin to work (for better sound quality)? How do I know which Mp3 Java plugin I'm using. Do I just re-install it? Do I need to re-install Slimplayer?

PPS: Any chance I could convince you to please consider changing back the Enter/Select functionality? This is a big hassle, especially because of my remote control layout and the fact that I like to use my PC keyboard to control Slim Player too (Left, Right, Up, Down, ENTER).

Thanks again for looking into this!
Michael

***RIP SageTV***

Last edited by mkanet; 10-11-2006 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hi Koelec - it's working!! sorta.. lol

I downloaded your latest JAR file, reimported the STVi and all seems well. I guess I'm now just confused about the proper use of the interface. I don't see how I can navigate around in Sage. I can change stations by using the slimserver web interface. Is that what I'm supposed to be doing?

sorry.. I'm confused.. I must be doing something wrong still
Server: AMD Phenom Quad-Core 2.3Ghz, 4GB RAM, ECS A780GM-A MB, 2x HD-PVRs (connected to DirecTV HD STBs using ethernet channel changing), 1x AverMedia A180, OS RAID-1 mirror - 2x250GB 7200rpm SATA, Media RAID-1 mirror - 2x1TB 7200rpm SATA, USB-UIRT (remote control)
Main Client: Sage STX-HD100 Media extender
Second Client: Athlon XP 4000+, 2GB MB PC3200 DDR, Asus A8N5X MB, 512MB PCI-E ATI HD Radeon 3650, 160 GB SATA - hardware mirrored
Old 10-11-2006, 07:20 PM
SageTVaholic

CanadianEh, I had the same problem adjusting to the interface. You have to select "Now Playing" even if nothing is playing and select "Transparent Mode". Dont ask me why you have to go through that to get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianEh

I downloaded your latest JAR file, reimported the STVi and all seems well. I guess I'm now just confused about the proper use of the interface. I don't see how I can navigate around in Sage. I can change stations by using the slimserver web interface. Is that what I'm supposed to be doing?

***RIP SageTV***
Old 10-11-2006, 07:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
CanadianEh, I had the same problem adjusting to the interface. You have to select "Now Playing" even if nothing is playing and select "Transparent Mode". Dont ask me why you have to go through that to get there.
Yes, but how do I browse for new stations? do I need to add them as favorites first through the web interface?
Server: AMD Phenom Quad-Core 2.3Ghz, 4GB RAM, ECS A780GM-A MB, 2x HD-PVRs (connected to DirecTV HD STBs using ethernet channel changing), 1x AverMedia A180, OS RAID-1 mirror - 2x250GB 7200rpm SATA, Media RAID-1 mirror - 2x1TB 7200rpm SATA, USB-UIRT (remote control)
Main Client: Sage STX-HD100 Media extender
Second Client: Athlon XP 4000+, 2GB MB PC3200 DDR, Asus A8N5X MB, 512MB PCI-E ATI HD Radeon 3650, 160 GB SATA - hardware mirrored
Old 10-11-2006, 07:42 PM
SageTVaholic

I dont know. I didn't even know you could do that. I certainly didnt see any options for it.

Quote:
Yes, but how do I browse for new stations? do I need to add them as favorites first through the web interface?

***RIP SageTV***
Old 10-12-2006, 06:02 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
PS: How do get the original Java MP3 plugin to work (for better sound quality)? How do I know which Mp3 Java plugin I'm using. Do I just re-install it? Do I need to re-install Slimplayer?
If you press the info button (or ctlr-i) on the slim player main menu it will popup a dialog with slimplayer config settings. This also contains info on what decoder it is using (JLayer or Java MP3 plugin). Because you deinstalled Java MP3 plugin it will tell you it is using JLayer. If you want to use java MP3 plugin follow folowing steps.
  1. install java MP3 plugin
  2. stop sagetv
  3. start softsqueeze and open config dialog by pressing small tray like icon on the gui.
  4. change audio decoder from JLayer to Java MP3 and press OK
  5. stop softsqueeze
  6. start sagetv and verify decoder version on SlimPlayer main menu with info button.

Quote:
PPS: Any chance I could convince you to please consider changing back the Enter/Select functionality? This is a big hassle, especially because of my remote control layout and the fact that I like to use my PC keyboard to control Slim Player too (Left, Right, Up, Down, ENTER).
Ok Michael, only now I realize that what seems obvious to me doesn't have to be obvious to everyone. In the SageTV recordings list I normally never press select to start playback, because that will open up a dialog asking me what to do, i.e watch, view details, and so on. I just press the play button to start playback immediately, but that's just my habit. I agree on adding enter/select for start of playback, because that would make SlimPlayer more consistent with the rest of Sage. And also a global button to stop playback. Remember that other playback control functions like fwd/bwd, mute, VolUp/Down are only accessible via the dedicated remote/keyboard commands.
I was planning on releasing a bug fixing release tonight and I think I can manage to get this in as well.

Last edited by koelec; 10-12-2006 at 07:25 AM.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:

Ok, remember that you have to use the playback controls (play/pause/stop/fwd/bwd buttons or keyboard equivalents) to start/stop playback of a playlist/favorite or track listed on the main menu of SlimPlayer. In the next release (due this week) I will add basic playcontrol to the menu.
Via the transparent mode you get the control like squeezebox2 owners have, just use the arrow keys and the play button and some special command buttons (accessible in transparent mode via the info command). With this you have playback control and playlist management and browsing for new stations, all by remote control. Stations you added here to playlists or favorites will appear appear on SlimPlayer's main menu. If you don't like the transparent mode you can do the same thing using slimserver's web interface.

- Chris
Old 10-12-2006, 07:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Chris, thank you changing back the functionality of Enter/Select.

A couple of thing for you to keep in the back of your mind:

1) Figure out a way to fix the sleep Icon/Alt-F4 bug when "Display Video on Menus=Always" AND there's a TV channel currently recording. I'm sure you know that when you close sageTV that way (thats how I normally close it), sageTV will stop the Slimplayer audio, but will start playing the TV audio (whats being recorded) when sageTV goes to sleep in the Windows system tray. This is also the same problem I have when trying to use the sleep timer.

2) Figure out a way to get Howard Stern and other sirius radio stations to work on Slim Player. Currently, the only stations I can play now are the same ones I could play in WebRadio (Shoutcast/streaming mp3s).

Thanks a million for all your effort Chris!

-Michael

***RIP SageTV***